Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do with frank gore

CR91

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

took him a lot of carries to get there

gore was ranked 36th among backs in ypc

You realize it was on the Colts team.   A horrible offensive line.   A backup QB.   A bad OC.  

Bradshaw had a 2.7 YPC.   Herron 3.0.  Gore 3.7.   

Luck had 55% completions.   12 INT's.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't bet on him getting 1200+ yards, but it would not surprise me.   He's done it almost every other year of his career.   I don't think there is a running back in the league today who would have gotten 1300 yards on the 2015 Colts team.  

I certainly agree with that but there are lots of them who could have gotten 980 with the carries Gore got. I like Gore very much, I just don't think that the Colts need short term answers at this stage of their rebuild.

I definitely want to see Gore retained for 2016.  I love the way the guy plays, and despite monumental challenges in 2015 with running the ball in our old scheme and with inferior linemen setting the blocks, he plowed through it all.  Even though the gaudy rushing statistics he's used to didn't come to be, he kept on fighting.  I like having guys like that on our team. 

15 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Age. I don't think his YPC indicate a very productive running back.

If you're only looking at his YPC then you're doing it wrong.

15 hours ago, Live and let live said:

TRich had about the same YPC as Gore as I recall.

Entirely different situations so the 2 are hardly comparable.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

You realize it was on the Colts team.   A horrible offensive line.   A backup QB.   A bad OC.  

Bradshaw had a 2.7 YPC.   Herron 3.0.  Gore 3.7.   

Luck had 55% completions.   12 INT's.  

the line was ranked 15th overall.  not great, but 17 teams were worse.  the run blocking really was not terrible.

as for the QBs, gore was horrible when luck was on the field, he actually played much better with MH.  2 of his 6 TDs came against the phone it in titans in a meaningless game where both teams had backup QBs

i wouldnt cut him, at least not yet.  only because it doesn't make sense cap wise and we dont have anyone better.  i just wish we did

16 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Age. I don't think his YPC indicate a very productive running back.

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

took him a lot of carries to get there

gore was ranked 36th among backs in ypc

You couldve put Peterson or Bell on this offense this past season and they wouldnt have fared much better... The line was a mess, our passing game for the most part was off this year, putting more pressure on the running game too.

People are saying his ypc was hardly better than T-Rich's... which is unfair... T--Rich had his terrible production while other RB's on the team had good production, becasue T-Rich WAS bad... Gore had not amazing, but equally not terrible, production and neither did any of the other RB's... in fact he was way better than the other RB's on this roster this year....

In short, Gimme more Gore. He's got another season or two in him I think.

3 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

You couldve put Peterson or Bell on this offense this past season and they wouldnt have fared much better...

i disagree.  gurley ran behind a less than stellar line in st louis and he went for 1100 and 4.8 ypc.  they had a worse passing game than us too, and he only played in what 12 games?

AP always gets his yards over the course of a season, though he fumbles too much

40 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

If you're only looking at his YPC then you're doing it wrong.

ypc is the most important stat to go by.  i did watch every snap he took this year though. it looked like he couldnt catch on an offense that wants to throw to the back, and his fumbles killed us in two  games

if not for his fumbles and drops i would probably be saying he was ok.  i dont think his running was enough to make up for the mistakes

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he also couldnt catch and turn upfield, and luck likes to throw to the back,

Really?  Because he had 34 catches for 267 yards, which is an average of 7.9 per catch.  Maybe you should change your narrative to say that he did have some drops in critical situations rather than "he couldn't catch and turn upfield"...which is utter nonsense.  there were issues with Gore in the passing game, i'm not disputing that.  However, just for the record....Chris Johnson, Ryan Matthews, Demarco Murray, Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, Reggie Bush....these guys all had a higher drop rate than Gore did.  Just...for a little context.

plus his fumbles were terrible

And fumbles are never a good thing.  However his fumble rate was lower than guys like AP and Eddie Lacey....just sayin.  On the flip side though, he's one of the better RBs in terms of pass protection and blitz pickups...let's not leave that out of the equation.

He's obviously not the back that he used to be, but he's also not nearly as bad as some are trying to make him out to be.  

15 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Really?  Because he had 34 catches for 267 yards, which is an average of 7.9 per catch.  Maybe you should change your narrative to say that he did have some drops in critical situations rather than "he couldn't catch and turn upfield"...which is utter nonsense.  there were issues with Gore in the passing game, i'm not disputing that.  However, just for the record....Chris Johnson, Ryan Matthews, Demarco Murray, Ahmad Bradshaw, Arian Foster, Reggie Bush....these guys all had a higher drop rate than Gore did.  Just...for a little context.

And fumbles are never a good thing.  However his fumble rate was lower than guys like AP and Eddie Lacey....just sayin.  On the flip side though, he's one of the better RBs in terms of pass protection and blitz pickups...let's not leave that out of the equation.

He's obviously not the back that he used to be, but he's also not nearly as bad as some are trying to make him out to be.  

i guess i cant forgive his fumble in the jets game, and that he never really did enough to make up for it.

i dont think we can just throw out ypc like that either

267 for 7.9 is also nothing special

26 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i guess i cant forgive his fumble in the jets game, and that he never really did enough to make up for it.

Gore is not the first RB to fumble in a critical game/situation.  He won't be the last either.

i dont think we can just throw out ypc like that either

When did I say to throw it out?  Just don't take it as an end-all be-all measurement of his performance.  BTW, did you ever look at the ypc of the other Colt RBs from last year?  

267 for 7.9 is also nothing special

good lord...where did I say it was special?  I was just pointing out that your claim that he "can't catch and turn upfield" was not at all accurate.

23 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Well, if you run enough you will gain some yardage even if you only get 3.5 or 3.6 yards per carry. We were lucky to get that out of him. Look what the other free agents did. This year will be less and he will be injured more often. Time to move on and he should not have been signed in the first place. The passing game was bad even with Luck.

What other free agents? LeSean McCoy? Demarco Murray? Yeah, those dudes really lit it up last year, right?

Who would our RB have been if we hadn't signed Gore? You're acting like we had this plethora of options of backs to choose from, when in reality, the RB depth chart consisted of Boom Herron and Vick Ballard prior to Gore being signed. Not a lot to work with there. How can you possibly know that he's going to have a significant drop off next season, and how is Gore somehow responsible for the passing attack?

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the line was ranked 15th overall.  not great, but 17 teams were worse.  the run blocking really was not terrible.

as for the QBs, gore was horrible when luck was on the field, he actually played much better with MH.  2 of his 6 TDs came against the phone it in titans in a meaningless game where both teams had backup QBs

i wouldnt cut him, at least not yet.  only because it doesn't make sense cap wise and we dont have anyone better.  i just wish we did

If you believe the Colts had the 15th best OL in the NFL, we might as well end this discussion now.  

Horrible with Luck you say.   Hmmm.  Game 3.   Gore rushed for 6.14 YPC with 2 TD's.

I am good with bringing Gore back but I wouldn't be shocked if they don't.  

If they don't it wouldn't be about money or probably even what he did last year.  It would be a question of does he still fit the offense and do they think he can produce going forward.  

I don't want to see the Colts use a high pick on a running back but I wouldn't be shocked if they do, if they do that could impact what they do with Gore as well.

the most likely scenario I think is that they will bring Gore back paired with a younger back, probably drafted, and try to get a two headed attack going.  

7 hours ago, Myles said:

If you believe the Colts had the 15th best OL in the NFL, we might as well end this discussion now.  

Horrible with Luck you say.   Hmmm.  Game 3.   Gore rushed for 6.14 YPC with 2 TD's.

The fact the Colts graded out to the 15th best line in the NFL speaks to how bad line play is in the NFL in general.  

7 hours ago, Myles said:

The Colts did have the 15th rated OL. That is why when some members harp on getting great O-linemen it is a lot easier said than done. Every NFL in the league struggles with finding good O-linemen. When the great ones show out they are paid and pretty much stay where they are at. If you look at the O-linemen who made the pro bowl most of them come from non playoff teams.

On 1/28/2016 at 1:27 PM, Live and let live said:

Well, if you run enough you will gain some yardage even if you only get 3.5 or 3.6 yards per carry. We were lucky to get that out of him. Look what the other free agents did. This year will be less and he will be injured more often. Time to move on and he should not have been signed in the first place. The passing game was bad even with Luck.

Nutz

On January 28, 2016 at 0:02 PM, Superman said:

Gore was fine. Not great, the fumbles were bad, and he missed some opportunities at times, and he's not fast enough to blow past the second level anymore, but he did fine. It wasn't until the QBs fell apart that Gore's production fell off. On his merits, he's worthy of retaining.

Besides that, his salary evidently is 75% guaranteed in 2016, so cutting him makes little sense. 

Yes , barring injury Gore is a lock to remain with the Colts next year. Pretty much a 2 year contract he signed . Next year cap hit is zero , this year 3 of the 4 mill is guaranteed. On the other hand Cole and Johnson are heavy favorites to be jettisoned this year.

dolphins-35.png  Dolphins | Lamar Miller not top priority for Miami    Wed Feb 3, 07:29 PM

Miami Dolphins impending free-agent RB Lamar Miller is not at the top of the Dolphins' priority list this offseason. Re-signing DE Olivier Vernon will be at the forefront of the Miami organization.

Link to story

Bring him to Indy Grigs!