Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What to do with frank gore

CR91

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gore is staying put.  Doesnt make sense money wise to cut him nor should we.  He can still be productive no matter if its ZBS or not.  He still is a good running back and as long as the line is improved then he will be successfull. I like Gore and what he brings.  Still tough and can play. Biggest thing is improving the line.  You thinking the same thing?

27 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Since we're switching to a ZBS, what will happen with gore who is more of a power runner

I think he's experienced enough to pick up the new blocking schemes, and to be honest, I don't think it's going to change much in the run game.

But in the long run, wouldn't it be nice to find his successor now?  I'm not talking about picking up a guy in the 3-5th round and hoping he a hidden gem.

46 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Since we're switching to a ZBS, what will happen with gore who is more of a power runner

Gore should be cut and replaced with a draft pick or the multitude of free agents available. His YPC was not that great. He should never have been signed in the first place in my opinion. The cost is too high and the reward is too low. At his age, he is an injury risk on every play.

I don't know the numbers exactly but I think like half of his salary for this season is guaranteed isn't it? I don't think we would gain that much by cutting him. The more I go through the process of doing mock drafts and reading about players and projecting what FAs we sign the more I wouldn't mind grabbing Ezekial Elliot in the first if he's available. I say that hoping we address three positions in FA, G, CB and OLB. If we do not grab a cb or olb specifically we will need to grab a top guy for these positions.

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I say keep him but also sign Lamar Miller to split time with him. Then cut him after the end of the the 2016 season and make Miller the main back

Miller or Ivory and hopefully Bradshaw is staying healthy at home if we need him off the street again like this past year.

2 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Gore should be cut and replaced with a draft pick or the multitude of free agents available. His YPC was not that great. He should never have been signed in the first place in my opinion. The cost is too high and the reward is too low. At his age, he is an injury risk on every play.

I think you are crazy.    Gore showed he still is a great RB.   Plus he's always been a good blocker.   We are not going to find that on the market.   Remember, he had to play behind that line just like Luck.   

We should either keep him and draft a back in the 3rd or 4th. Or cut him and sign Lamar Miller IMO. But if we could keep him and draft Paul Perkins or Jonathan Williams in the 4th that should still be a good duo. Or better yet we could find this year's Thomas Rawls in the UDFA class. Wouldn't that be awesome? The thing is this, If we bring in a good C and a good G then that's going to help our run game more than anything. But IMO, one way or another we need to bring in a young back to pair with him if we keep him.

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think you are crazy.    Gore showed he still is a great RB.   Plus he's always been a good blocker.   We are not going to find that on the market.   Remember, he had to play behind that line just like Luck.   

I have heard that for years. TRich couldn't get any yards per carry but other backs did. The Colts were lucky to get the production they did out of Gore last year. He will keep going down hill and the injuries will continue to add up. He costs too much money for the production and I disagree with you. Any number of free agent backs can block as well and get you that many yards per carry at a fraction of the cost. If you are a Gore fan instead of a Colts fan then I understand what you say. But, if you want what is best for the Colts, admit the mistakes of last year, including Gore and release him.

Nothing wrong at all keeping Frank here. At worst, he's a backup to a backup. Doubt that would ever happen, though. Sure up & solidify the lines while going to ZBS. You put Frank Gore behind a good O-line? Like bababooey said, he's a cockroach. Extremely tough & durable. Hard to kill. However, he's in all likelihood, got another year or two before it's over for him. 

Gore will be fine.

He'll only be on the team likely one more year -- two tops.    And the only way he's getting two years is if he does great this coming year.

There's no problem here.

Move along......    nothing to see here.....    everything is just fine.......       keep moving......

1 hour ago, Live and let live said:

I have heard that for years. TRich couldn't get any yards per carry but other backs did. The Colts were lucky to get the production they did out of Gore last year. He will keep going down hill and the injuries will continue to add up. He costs too much money for the production and I disagree with you. Any number of free agent backs can block as well and get you that many yards per carry at a fraction of the cost. If you are a Gore fan instead of a Colts fan then I understand what you say. But, if you want what is best for the Colts, admit the mistakes of last year, including Gore and release him.

$3mil for 967 rushing yards is cheap, especially considering Luck got injured for the year and our passing attack was the laughing stock of the league.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

$3mil for 967 rushing yards is cheap, especially considering Luck got injured for the year and our passing attack was the laughing stock of the league.

Well, if you run enough you will gain some yardage even if you only get 3.5 or 3.6 yards per carry. We were lucky to get that out of him. Look what the other free agents did. This year will be less and he will be injured more often. Time to move on and he should not have been signed in the first place. The passing game was bad even with Luck.

5 hours ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

The same thing you do with almost all the free agents that Grigson has signed.  You cut them, and hope that Grigson eats some smartburgers.  What else is there now that Irsay has left him in charge of signing talent.

Congrats you won * of this post

6 hours ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

The same thing you do with almost all the free agents that Grigson has signed.  You cut them, and hope that Grigson eats some smartburgers.  What else is there now that Irsay has left him in charge of signing talent.

Why would you cut the most productive RB that this franchise has seen in quite some time?

Your comparison is to Richardson?

Richardson couldn't get any yards per carry because he stunk.

Gore did pretty well considering he was running behind a line that cost us numerous injuries to numerous QBs - not to mention the change in offensive coordinators mid-way through the season.

That was not 2015.  What other Colt RB outproduced Gore in 2015 behind the same line he was running behind?

12 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Why would you cut the most productive RB that this franchise has seen in quite some time?

Simple. He's got one maybe 2 good years.  Not since Addai, and for all too short a time, has the RB position been anything to feel good about.  So the "most productive RB that this franchise has seen in quite some time" is not saying much for the position.

1 minute ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

Simple. He's got one maybe 2 good years.  Not since Addai, and for all too short a time, has the RB position been anything to feel good about.  So the "most productive RB that this franchise has seen in quite some time" is not saying much for the position.

Why would you cut a guy who has ANY good years?  We need him this year, assuming he's the same player as last year. 

We also need to find his successor.  I'm hoping we quit taking these guys in the late rounds and hope they work out.  And I certainly don't want to pick up a 30 year old RB as a two year stop gap again.

4 minutes ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

So, you've got a RB that is by all accounts damn good. He's got 2 years left on his contract, and a cap hit of $4 million this year. Given his veterancy and production, relative chump change. Cutting him would leave $3 million in dead money for this year, saving only $1 million off the cap.

Even financially it's not worth it to cut Frank Gore, who, again, was nearly the first 1k yard rusher this franchise has had in nearly a decade. Sorry but, cutting Frank Gore this year would be one of the dumbest things that Grigson could do.

Come back next year when cutting him would leave no dead money and save $3.5 million on the cap.

Gore was fine. Not great, the fumbles were bad, and he missed some opportunities at times, and he's not fast enough to blow past the second level anymore, but he did fine. It wasn't until the QBs fell apart that Gore's production fell off. On his merits, he's worthy of retaining.

Besides that, his salary evidently is 75% guaranteed in 2016, so cutting him makes little sense. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Gore was fine. Not great, the fumbles were bad, and he missed some opportunities at times, and he's not fast enough to blow past the second level anymore, but he did fine. It wasn't until the QBs fell apart that Gore's production fell off. On his merits, he's worthy of retaining.

Besides that, his salary evidently is 75% guaranteed in 2016, so cutting him makes little sense. 

I should have sourced myself: http://overthecap.com/player/frank-gore/94

He has $1 million in base salary and a $3 million roster bonus for this year. After this year, his guaranteed bonuses are gone and he just has a base salary of $3.5 million, making him a free cut in 2017 should he drop off this year.

6 hours ago, Live and let live said:

He had nearly 1000 yards behind a line that was horrible at run blocking. He did about as well as anyone possibly could have. 

5 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

He has $1 million in base salary and a $3 million roster bonus for this year. After this year, his guaranteed bonuses are gone and he just has a base salary of $3.5 million, making him a free cut in 2017 should he drop off this year.

Why does their calculator function have him as a free cut for this year? Is it just an error?

5 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Why does their calculator function have him as a free cut for this year? Is it just an error?

I'd imagine so, on his page it says a cut would leave $3 million dead due to his guaranteed bonus, and the calculator even mentions the $3 million guaranteed, but it doesn't calculate it.

Edit: I played with it a bit, if you go through the various options it switches back to $3 million in dead money on the cut option, it's just a bug on the initial setting.

Frank will still be a good runner come next season.
But 15 carries a game should be near his limit.
  And the guy is NOT a good receiver out of the backfield.
So our #2 backs need to be more versatile.
 Ezekiel looks like the real deal.
 Just for fun:
 rd 1 ezekiel

rd 2 best C or G available Martin/J Allen

rd 3 best C or G available. above. J Garnett of Stanford -  look for some tape. Looks good
 Yes i would rather go all D, but these O guys could really improve our balance on O. lol
 If we had already added a FA Vet corner and ILB`er, ... and all for fun

49 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

They didn't report the guarantee on the roster bonus until recently. Spotrac had it, though. Now that they're both reporting the same thing, I guess we can take that as a confirmation.

To me, it doesn't make sense to release a player with a $3m guarantee to save $1m. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

They didn't report the guarantee on the roster bonus until recently. Spotrac had it, though. Now that they're both reporting the same thing, I guess we can take that as a confirmation.

To me, it doesn't make sense to release a player with a $3m guarantee to save $1m. 

Not when he was one of your only offensive starters to play all 16 games the previous year and put up nearly 1k yards rushing and 6 TD's. Gore is worth the investment for this year, and next year we can take our pick on whether to pay him or not.

1 hour ago, Ehrman.Dutton.Cook.Barnes said:

it is when you haven't had a back get close to 1000 yards in almost a decade

3 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Well, if you run enough you will gain some yardage even if you only get 3.5 or 3.6 yards per carry. We were lucky to get that out of him. Look what the other free agents did. This year will be less and he will be injured more often. Time to move on and he should not have been signed in the first place. The passing game was bad even with Luck.

What did other free agents do on the Colts?