Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cornerbacks.

IrishColt22

Given that Toler is more than likely gone we are left with Davis, Butler, Smith, Brown, T. Mitchel, J. Mitchell, Southward and Glover Wright at CB. I think everyone agrees Butler can't hold up on the outside and Brown didn't really fill anyone with confidence. the rest are relative unknowns, but Chuck seemed pretty confident in Smith and now with a full year under his belt he might kick on. One I am interested in is Tevin Mitchel who we claimed off the Redskins. We were reported to be interested in drafting him before they picked him and also seemed quite high on him. He was immediately place on IR. Does anyone know anything about him could he come in and play on the outside, should we give what we have a chance or do we look early in the draft or FA to grab a CB? Personally if we do grab a CB in the draft I hope in the later rounds, I'm hoping for LBs and Olinemen in the first 4 rounds at least.

This is said to be a good group of corners to draft this year.

I'm expecting one in the first 3 rounds.     Frankly, I'll be shocked if we don't do that.    But a top-100 player.

And I wouldn't be surprised if we also sign a FA corner as we did when we signed Toler three years ago.   Hopefully someone solid who can stay healthy.   

So,  that would make two new corners on the roster,  and three if you count Smith as new.......

I think that would be a good shot of new talent to the roster........

This is my hope.....

I, like NCF, think we need to add at least one starting-caliber corner this off-season. 

There are a number of quality FAs that might be available like S. Smith, Jenkins, T. Johnson, Hayward, and Pac Man. 

I'm not sure that we need to add more than one with Smith in the fold. He's more of an unknown at this point, but, assuming we get a good #2 guy, he might be able to come right in at the nickel. 

This draft, at least at the top, seems to be a good one for corners. I could see the Colts shunning FA at this position because there are guys like McKenzie, Apple,  or Fuller they could get in the draft. 

There are a lot of ways that it could shake out, but I believe we will add somebody to replace Toler, at least. It's a top 3 need, in my view, behind OLB and Center, but right before RG (of course there is an argument to be made that RT is the more pressing need over RG) 

I think we add a CB in FA's and go into the draft taking the BPA with a position of need factored in. That being said I think we end up with a CB at some point. 

I really like Russell from ND. He was academically ineligible last year and broke his leg at the end of this season missing Stanford and bowl game. ND had to lead the nation in injuries to star players. 

There will be a lot riding on his pro day. It looks like he will miss the combine. If this kid were to slide to the 4/5 round he would be an absolute steal. He can be CB2 maybe as soon as this season depending on his recovery. The was talk of him running a 4.3 40. I don't think he hits that number now. He can play press man isn't affraid to come up and make tackles in the run game. He makes big plays. He closed out USC and Temple with INT's on the final possession. He would have been a still may be a day 2 guy if not for the injury. 

3 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I, like NCF, think we need to add at least one starting-caliber corner this off-season. 

There are a number of quality FAs that might be available like S. Smith, Jenkins, T. Johnson, Hayward, and Pac Man. 

I'm not sure that we need to add more than one with Smith in the fold. He's more of an unknown at this point, but, assuming we get a good #2 guy, he might be able to come right in at the nickel. 

This draft, at least at the top, seems to be a good one for corners. I could see the Colts shunning FA at this position because there are guys like McKenzie, Apple,  or Fuller they could get in the draft. 

There are a lot of ways that it could shake out, but I believe we will add somebody to replace Toler, at least. It's a top 3 need, in my view, behind OLB and Center, but right before RG (of course there is an argument to be made that RT is the more pressing need over RG) 

If we can address OLB, #2 CB, and RG in FA I think we can go into the draft for BPA. With that being said I'd like us to address RT, C, ILB, and OLB. If we can get players at those positions I think our team would be tremendously improved.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is said to be a good group of corners to draft this year.

I'm expecting one in the first 3 rounds.     Frankly, I'll be shocked if we don't do that.    But a top-100 player.

And I wouldn't be surprised if we also sign a FA corner as we did when we signed Toler three years ago.   Hopefully someone solid who can stay healthy.   

So,  that would make two new corners on the roster,  and three if you count Smith as new.......

I think that would be a good shot of new talent to the roster........

This is my hope.....

I thought this years Corner class wasn't as deep ? i know that the DT position is loaded with talent this year.

15 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I thought this years Corner class wasn't as deep ? i know that the DT position is loaded with talent this year.

I was just reading Kiper this week....   he called it a deep group of corners.

I think we'll know more after the combine when kids get measured and tested.

I'm not sure how much elite talent there is,  but it might be a deeper class of good talent.    That would be my guess....

And yes,  DL,  both DT and DE are said to be deep.

31 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

i think we should bring in a serviceable Vet have him battle it out and draft a CB between rounds 4-6. IMO

That's dangerous though man. It could work, but if it don't we could be in a similar situation as we were this past year. I had rather sign a good young free agent like Smith, Jenkins, Johnson, or Hayward and know we're getting a major upgrade. I had much rather have Vontae Davis and Sean Smith out there shutting down wide outs than Vontae Davis and D'Joun Smith when we have no idea what he's going to look like. My hope is that he'll make Butler expendable and be our new nickel, but we need to sign a good CB in free agency or draft one in the 1st IMO

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was just reading Kiper this week....   he called it a deep group of corners.

I think we'll know more after the combine when kids get measured and tested.

I'm not sure how much elite talent there is,  but it might be a deeper class of good talent.    That would be my guess....

And yes,  DL,  both DT and DE are said to be deep.

This just made my day :thmup: 

11 hours ago, IrishColt22 said:

Given that Toler is more than likely gone we are left with Davis, Butler, Smith, Brown, T. Mitchel, J. Mitchell, Southward and Glover Wright at CB. I think everyone agrees Butler can't hold up on the outside and Brown didn't really fill anyone with confidence. the rest are relative unknowns, but Chuck seemed pretty confident in Smith and now with a full year under his belt he might kick on. One I am interested in is Tevin Mitchel who we claimed off the Redskins. We were reported to be interested in drafting him before they picked him and also seemed quite high on him. He was immediately place on IR. Does anyone know anything about him could he come in and play on the outside, should we give what we have a chance or do we look early in the draft or FA to grab a CB? Personally if we do grab a CB in the draft I hope in the later rounds, I'm hoping for LBs and Olinemen in the first 4 rounds at least.

It would be nice to nab a quality  2nd contract veteran CB in FA, so we can fill other holes in the draft.
 Of course any holes filled by a Quality FA would be a plus.
  Wish list CB Trumaine Johnson & ILB Danny Trevathan would be Fantastico.

Some stuff on Tevin Mitchell? 

12096275_1001074749932252_48286896659979

Larry Clark ·

lol, razorback fan here....came in highly rated, but never really lived up to potential. lot of long passes , and seemed to have brain farts, only way i can think of saying it cause the skill set is there but he is a lil guy

Analysis

Strengths

Has above average quickness and desired twitch as a cornerback. Smooth backpedal with the chance to be a slot nickel as a pro.

Weaknesses

Has a history of injuries and scouts are concerned about his durability and ability to play through pain. Needs to improve his play strength on the next level. -Lance Zierlein

Free agency will come before the draft.  I don't think there is any way the Colts do not try to sign an immediate replacement for Toler.  If they get somebody good and young, they will wait until the mid or later rounds to draft a CB.  If Smith and Mitchell are the real deal, then they may not draft any CB after signing the vet or else the roster would be too backloaded to give everybody time to properly develop.

If they sign an older vet FA to just shore up the roster, then I expect a CB to be targeted fairly high.

15 minutes ago, IrishColt22 said:

I was looking at Sportrac at the time and they list him as a CB.

I don't know then. He played a safety in Atl., but Krunk said they experimented with him at corner so idk. To me he's a safety, but we may try him at corner I don't know. I hope he makes the team whether its as our 5th corner or a backup safety and special teamer since he's from Indy.

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't know then. He played a safety in Atl., but Krunk said they experimented with him at corner so idk. To me he's a safety, but we may try him at corner I don't know. I hope he makes the team whether its as our 5th corner or a backup safety and special teamer since he's from Indy.

A couple of months ago when the Falcons announced they were converting Dezmen Southward to cornerback, we all reacted with distinctly mixed feelings. Given Southward's size and speed combination, and Dan Quinn's preference for that length in particular at the position, it was certainly possible Southward would make an impact in Quinn's defense right away.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/7/6/8888571/considering-dezmen-southwards-falcons-future

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It would be nice to nab a quality  2nd contract veteran CB in FA, so we can fill other holes in the draft.
 Of course any holes filled by a Quality FA would be a plus.
  Wish list CB Trumaine Johnson & ILB Danny Trevathan would be Fantastico.

Some stuff on Tevin Mitchell? 

12096275_1001074749932252_48286896659979

Larry Clark ·

lol, razorback fan here....came in highly rated, but never really lived up to potential. lot of long passes , and seemed to have brain farts, only way i can think of saying it cause the skill set is there but he is a lil guy

Analysis

Strengths

Has above average quickness and desired twitch as a cornerback. Smooth backpedal with the chance to be a slot nickel as a pro.

Weaknesses

Has a history of injuries and scouts are concerned about his durability and ability to play through pain. Needs to improve his play strength on the next level. -Lance Zierlein

OK....     now you're scaring me -- but in a good way!         :thmup:

Trumaine Johnson and Danny Trevathan are on top my early Free Agent Wish List!

I fear that lots of teams will want them badly and that will drive up their asking price and perhaps price themselves right out of our range.    

But I love them both and think they'd be great fits to our defense.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:57 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't know why anyone would think we can count on D.Smith on anything next season. He showed absolutey nothing last season as a rookie. Maybe, hopefully he can do a 180 for 2016 but if I were the Colts I would address the secondary as him not contributing at all.

Agreed!

On 27/01/2016 at 1:57 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't know why anyone would think we can count on D.Smith on anything next season. He showed absolutey nothing last season as a rookie. Maybe, hopefully he can do a 180 for 2016 but if I were the Colts I would address the secondary as him not contributing at all.

17 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Agreed!

I'm not saying we can I'm asking do ppl want a high draft CB or see what we have on roster already doesn't have to be just D.Smith. If we do convert Southward then that's already a two 3rd rounders on the roster plus Vontae. But I would say discounting Smith so early is a bit premature granted he had very limited reg season action, I will agree pre-season he didn't show much if anything, but ever the optimist haha. 

On 1/26/2016 at 0:08 PM, ProblChld32 said:

I have been watching some film on these better CB`s that may be available around 18, and they look kinda skinny legged and weak against the run. ?? And guys are getting separation from them.

1 minute ago, IrishColt22 said:

I'm not saying we can I'm asking do ppl want a high draft CB or see what we have on roster already doesn't have to be just D.Smith. If we do convert Southward then that's already a two 3rd rounders on the roster plus Vontae. But I would say discounting Smith so early is a bit premature granted he had very limited reg season action, I will agree pre-season he didn't show much if anything, but ever the optimist haha. 

Getting past teams like Pittsburgh & NE requires serious, top shelf CB's. These teams will torch rookies, developing youngsters and blitz happy schemes. To represent the AFC in a SB, those monsters must be slain and D. Smith does not put the Colts on a path to accomplish that goal. A true, proven shut down corner must be acquired to facilitate this team competing at that level. 1 top FA and 1 top 100 draft pick is how far they must go to bring stability and depth to this position IMHO...

• 3 weeks later...
On January 29, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Douzer said:

Getting past teams like Pittsburgh & NE requires serious, top shelf CB's. These teams will torch rookies, developing youngsters and blitz happy schemes. To represent the AFC in a SB, those monsters must be slain and D. Smith does not put the Colts on a path to accomplish that goal. A true, proven shut down corner must be acquired to facilitate this team competing at that level. 1 top FA and 1 top 100 draft pick is how far they must go to bring stability and depth to this position IMHO...

You addressed it, but without a pass rush a true shut down corner is a very rare thing.  I wouldn't count on getting one in FA.

On January 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM, ProblChld32 said:

Yeah we gotta come out with one of those talented DTs in the draft in my opinion. Would love Vernon Butler in round 2. 

I don't think we should so easily dismiss D.Smith who was a 3rd rounder.  You don't draft a CB that high only to be relegated to depth forevermore ...that just doesn't make sense especially since he was injured.  So what if he looked clueless in his rookie camp.   The real test is what he did during the season while he was injured.   Did he take notes, study the playbook, rehab hard, learn from other CBs on other teams, watch tape, etc???......if he did that and the FO notices, then he absolutely deserves a shot at starting.  If he didn't, then I would agree with some of you and we move on with drafting another one in the top 3 rounds or we get a good young FA.  

On January 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM, LJpalmbeacher said:

He was drafted very high. We may have gotten him in the 3rd because we traded down but he's really a 2nd round pick.

You don't draft a CB that high just for him to play nickel, or be depth. They may just plan to start him outside. His skill level is probably the same as Darby and Waynes who both struggled early.

If you go by post draft interviews, D. Smith had to be the pick most "gushed over" by Grigs and Pagano.  They couldn't stop talking about his positive attitude, confidence, intangibles, etc....I also think they grabbed him to be an outside starter.  We'll see I guess.  Of course, they say you can't have too many good CBs.