Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr Grigson, were you watching?

WoolMagnet

The playoffs are showing how important a pass rush is.  ESPECIALLY with this quick passing game.

remember the freeney/mathis days?  Thats what i saw watching Miller and Ware today.

i know we keep talking OL in draft/FA, but perhaps OLB is as important.  It would sure make our CBs and safeties look better too.

anyway, i hope you took note, Mr Grigson.  I think it was the key to beating Brady yoday.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We need to make every effort to sign Von Miller and then take the best pass rusher available with our first round pick.  No more first round wide receiver disappointments.  

were there any pass rushers worth a first round pick when we took dorsett?

I'm feeling pretty good right now about next year.  We took the Panthers to OT with Pep calling the plays.  The very next week, we beat the Broncos with Chud in command of the offense.  Who knows what the team could have blossomed into if Luck would have not played his last game against the Broncos.  I have faith that Pagano, Grigs, and all their new assistant coaching talent will be able to figure out the missing pieces and get them through the draft and FA.  I think we're a lot closer to the promised land than most people think.  Everyone knows we need 1 or 2 upgrades at OLB, another NT for depth or upgrade (I like Parry), and a CB to pair with Vontae.  On offense, we need a feature RB to pair with Gore, and a C, RG, and RT for both depth and upgrade purposes.  That's 8 positions.  1st 5 picks in draft and 3 smart FA acquisitions should take care of at least 5 of them (I'm assuming 3 won't pan out).

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We need to make every effort to sign Von Miller and then take the best pass rusher available with our first round pick.  No more first round wide receiver disappointments.  

Yeah I could see Grigson probably.................not, attempting to go after Miller.  

It it is a nice thought though, anything can happen. 

I kind of have a gut feeling people will continue to be dissatisfied with Grigson after next year.  Hope I'm wrong, but just a hunch. 

Also helps that the Pats o line was overrated this year, they threw too much this year and Brady can't take the big hits anymore.

If anything I take away wanting more o line help then anything. Especially since Denver pretty much almost killed Andrew Luck and any QB we had this year was doomed with injuries.

37 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah I could see Grigson probably.................not, attempting to go after Miller.  

It it is a nice thought though, anything can happen. 

I kind of have a gut feeling people will continue to be dissatisfied with Grigson after next year.  Hope I'm wrong, but just a hunch. 

They are the same who would have sold the house for Suh last offseason......

I wasn't on the o line bandwagon as much until THIS season. Now I get it, oh boy do I. We killed both Luck and Hasselbeck. 

I would be happy with drafting nothing but o line lol.

Pass rush can wait........I am not as worried. People have been screaming about pass rush more often on forums since the 2007 Giants.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

1) Poor offensive line play undermined the Patriots. 

2) Great defensive front play won the game for the Broncos.

If the Colts get better in those two areas, this team will be pretty dangerous. 

Colts need to go no farther than seeing Cam and his offensive line, ungodly amount of time that his O-line gave him. Take the dual threat of Cam (just like Luck) and run designed run plays for Luck along with that kind of protection, our O could really be top notch. 

Get the O-line, you can control tempo in playoff games, and yes, get the defensive front to force 3rd and longs and a front 7 that will get off the field on 3rd downs. It is all about trenches.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

What do you mean "no more?" Grigson has literally taken one WR in the first round, and even though this past season hasn't worked out, Dorsett is showing lots of potential.

Grigson must be salivating right now wishing the Colts were in Broncos place.  That's what happens when you suck at draft picks and free agent pick ups.  If you(Grigson)maintain or stay with that mentality you're never going to the big Dance.  Hopefully someone can put some sense into Grigson nuggins and pick some franchise or impact players.  As I said before, should have hired Wade Phillips as the HC.  He's going to the Super Bowl in only his first year as a DC in Denver, imagine that.  Colts Coaches and Mgmt can take note of this and learn from their bonehead mistakes....

4 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Grigson must be salivating right now wishing the Colts were in Broncos place.  That's what happens when you suck at draft picks and free agent pick ups.  If you(Grigson)maintain or stay with that mentality you're never going to the big Dance.  Hopefully someone can put some sense into Grigson nuggins and pick some franchise or impact players.  As I said before, should have hired Wade Phillips as the HC.  He's going to the Super Bowl in only his first year as a DC in Denver, imagine that.  Colts Coaches and Mgmt can take note of this and learn from their bonehead mistakes....

4 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

9 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Don't let Wade Phillips sweet old man appearance fool you. He is a horrible head coach but excellent coordinator. Also Grigsons draft picks aren't as horrible as many people here make them out to be. 

13 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

What do you mean "no more?" Grigson has literally taken one WR in the first round, and even though this past season hasn't worked out, Dorsett is showing lots of potential.

"No more" as in he wasted it on a WR last year and he better not do it again this year. 

You admit Dorsett season didn't work out but then say he is showing lots of potential.  He was largely a non factor.  Disappointing as a kick returner and had to be replaced due to fumblitis.   Flashed a play here and there as a receiver but nothing close to what you would expect to see from a first rounder.  Didn't blow the lid off of defenses like people were chirping he would.  He couldn't even beat out an old declining Andre Johnson.  Heck Griff Whalen was more visible than Dorsett was this season.  Hopefully he will come into his own more next season...if he can stay healthy.  He is a pretty small guy.  

But I digress.  We need more pass rush and offensive line help this year please. We are so deficient in those areas that we really don't have the luxury to spend a first round pick on a skill position this off season.  

It's interesting how well the Panthers o-line is playing. They have one good player in Turner. Maybe the problem with the Colts isn't necessarily the players but the coaching. We could use an infusion of talent at both OLB and OLine but it's not the entire problem. We could learn from the Patriots and Panthers. They acquire players that fit their scheme well and draft well. 

Ditto SP_21, you're right on with your assessment on the Oline.  Need good coaching to show these guys how to protect their QB.  Load up on the Defense and we'll build a monster.  Now, if we can get Philbin to get this Oline going we'll be going deep into the playoffs....

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

No need to sign von miller he's gonna be too expensive just draft someone and see how it develops 

Draft someone and "see" how he develops instead of signing one of the best pass rushers in the NFL? When we are in desperate need of a dominant pass rusher? I mean I'm all for drafting a pass rusher. But if Von Miller hits the open market we'd be crazy not to make him a Colt at all cost. I mean even if we drafted a really good OLB. What's the chances he'll be as good as Von Miller? And we'd just have to pay him in 4 years anyways. If he gets around 10 sacks a year then probably by that time the market for pass rushers will be a lot higher too.So he'd probably get more than Miller. IDK. To me it just seems obvious. We need to be the most aggressive team in free agency this year. A swing for the fences, win at all cost mentality. Grigson is smart enough to not kill us cap wise, so he could pull off 3 major signings and make the numbers work.

The Broncos are great at all 3 levels. They have great linebackers as well. We need pass rushers and athletic Lb's.

Castonzo, Mewhort, Thornton, and Reitz are good enough. Luck will throw 35 or so TD's next year with this o-line. Davis and Anderson are the only good young defensive players we have. 

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Draft someone and "see" how he develops instead of signing one of the best pass rushers in the NFL? When we are in desperate need of a dominant pass rusher? I mean I'm all for drafting a pass rusher. But if Von Miller hits the open market we'd be crazy not to make him a Colt at all cost. I mean even if we drafted a really good OLB. What's the chances he'll be as good as Von Miller? And we'd just have to pay him in 4 years. If he gets around 10 sacks a year then probably by that time the market for pass rushers will be a lot higher too. IDK. To me it just seems obvious.

Miller probably won't want to come to Indy unless we make an outrageous offer. The defense he has in Denver is phenomenal and it appears that he is very comfortable there. Not trying to be argumentative but it's unlikely he comes to Indy. 

7 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Miller probably won't want to come to Indy unless we make an outrageous offer. The defense he has in Denver is phenomenal and it appears that he is very comfortable there. Not trying to be argumentative but it's unlikely he comes to Indy. 

If he hits the open market he'll go wherever offers him the best contract. That's what I mean when I say if that happens we should by any means necessary make him a Colt. And we would actually be one of the better teams to choose from if he's available. Denver may be headed downhill from here on out. It all depends on Osweiler. But I'm sure Miller had rather come here than somewhere like Oakland. And like I said if he hits the market we should just out bid everybody else IMO. Having a difference maker like him can be the difference in winning SB's or getting beat in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. And we don't have any OLB on our team who I think can come in and be a game wrecking 16 sack guy next year. Von Miller can. But most likely its all a mute point. But who knows?

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

If he hits the open market he'll go wherever offers him the best contract. That's what I mean when I say if that happens we should by any means necessary make him a Colt. And we would actually be one of the better teams to choose from if he's available. Denver may be headed downhill from here on out. It all depends on Osweiler. But I'm sure Miller had rather come here than somewhere like Oakland. And like I said if he hits the market we should just out bid everybody else IMO. Having a difference maker like him can be the difference in winning SB's or getting beat in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs. And we don't have any OLB on our team who I think can come in and be a game wrecking 16 sack guy next year. Von Miller can. But most likely its all a mute point. But who knows?

I get what you're saying. I would love to have Miller but only to a certain point. I wouldn't put all our cap space towards him. I just think we need to draft better and have a clear vision and scheme. Much like the Panthers and the way Gettleman has run their organization. 

28 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

"No more" as in he wasted it on a WR last year and he better not do it again this year. 

You admit Dorsett season didn't work out but then say he is showing lots of potential.  He was largely a non factor.  Disappointing as a kick returner and had to be replaced due to fumblitis.   Flashed a play here and there as a receiver but nothing close to what you would expect to see from a first rounder.  Didn't blow the lid off of defenses like people were chirping he would.  He couldn't even beat out an old declining Andre Johnson.  Heck Griff Whalen was more visible than Dorsett was this season.  Hopefully he will come into his own more next season...if he can stay healthy.  He is a pretty small guy.  

But I digress.  We need more pass rush and offensive line help this year please. We are so deficient in those areas that we really don't have the luxury to spend a first round pick on a skill position this off season.  

Well considering they were trying to ease hi in throughout the first few weeks instead of throwing him to the wolves and the fact that he got injured for like eight weeks or something its no wonder he got no playing time.  And he did show flashes of potential.remember that long td catch against the titans in week three? 

And btw, I never liked the Dorsett pick either, but keep in mind, if grigson never picked Dorsett Moncrief and TY would be our only Viable wrs (I'm assuming AJ is all but done here)

And you can't really say "he should have taken an online lineman or pass rusher instead." yes its true that right now those are our biggest needs but think back to last year's draft. Our oline had started to play well down the stretch of last season and after Jonathon Newsomess excellent rookie campaign (remember that?) and with rob Mathis and trent Cole, people thought our pass rush would be pretty good at least. It unfortunately didn't turn out that way.