Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not even Vontae Davis or Pat McAfee?

camcolts2621

1 minute ago, camcolts2621 said:

That does make sense but he's still one of the top in the league, it shows that he needs to have the best season over any other corner to get the same recognition. 

I don't believe the the Brandon Marshall and Dorial Green Beckham TDs he gave up were his fault, could have been called as a push off, but he looked silly at times this year. Hopefully if he has more help next year he will return to his 2014 form!

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

I don't believe the the Brandon Marshall and Dorial Green Beckham TDs he gave up were his fault, could have been called as a push off, but he looked silly at times this year. Hopefully if he has more help next year he will return to his 2014 form!

I feel like if we put a solid #2 corner along side with him, that our defense would miraculously improve... I feel like he could get back to his elite form next year with the help of some consistent pass rush.

5 minutes ago, camcolts2621 said:

That does make sense but he's still one of the top in the league, it shows that he needs to have the best season over any other corner to get the same recognition.

Im a big Vontae fan but he was not one of the top in the league this year. QB's where not afraid to throw his way this past season at all. Hopefully he returns to his 2014 form this comming season because he was a stud in 2014 and opposing QB's knew it and learned real quik each game to stay away from his side.

13 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Green Beckham pushed off big time and it went uncalled. I was screaming at the TV when that happened.

7 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

Im a big Vontae fan but he was not one of the top in the league this year. QB's where not afraid to throw his way this past season at all. Hopefully he returns to his 2014 form this comming season because he was a stud in 2014 and opposing QB's knew it and learned real quik each game to stay away from his side.

He had high spots, like holding Watkins in check in week 1, but wasn't consistent like he was in the previous season.

17 minutes ago, camcolts2621 said:

I feel like if we put a solid #2 corner along side with him, that our defense would miraculously improve... I feel like he could get back to his elite form next year with the help of some consistent pass rush.

It will improve. Big time. This year Toler was trash. Last year Toler also had the best year of his career. If we bring in a corner like Sean Smith or Janorris Jenkins to pair with Vontae our D will be very much improved. Then if we add a couple OLB's who can put consistent pressure on opposing QB's and post big sack numbers our defense can be very, very good. If you have a pair of stud edge rushers and a pair of stud corners you usually have a good defense.

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

It will improve. Big time. This year Toler was trash. Last year Toler also had the best year of his career. If we bring in a corner like Sean Smith or Janorris Jenkins to pair with Vontae our D will be very much improved. Then if we add a couple OLB's who can put consistent pressure on opposing QB's and post big sack numbers our defense can be very, very good. If you have a pair of stud edge rushers and a pair of stud corners you usually have a good defense.

I totally agree COLTS449, but the problem is cap and Grigson. If we re-sign Luck this offseason will we have enough extra $ to keep who we need to keep, get a couple good interior O-linemen (prioority #1) and still sign the 2 rush LB's and #2 corner you speak of? And, will Grigson sign/draft the right guys? However, If we can improve those areas we will be in very good shape!

7 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I totally agree COLTS449, but the problem is cap and Grigson. If we re-sign Luck this offseason will we have enough extra $ to keep who we need to keep, get a couple good interior O-linemen (prioority #1) and still sign the 2 rush LB's and #2 corner you speak of? And, will Grigson sign/draft the right guys? However, If we can improve those areas we will be in very good shape!

Yes. We're in really good shape. Even after we re-sign Luck and Fleener we'll still have over 30mill in cap room after we cut AJ, Cole, and probably Jones, and DQ. So we can sign 3-4 really good players. For example we could sign Osemele, Sean Smith, and Bruce Irvin all and make it work.

30 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yes. We're in really good shape. Even after we re-sign Luck and Fleener we'll still have over 30mill in cap room after we cut AJ, Cole, and probably Jones, and DQ. So we can sign 3-4 really good players. For example we could sign Osemele, Sean Smith, and Bruce Irvin all and make it work.

I hope we dont cut DQ. We need to keep DQ or atleast re-sign Freeman. They have been the voice of our Defense for the past few years and are solid players. I agree with your assessment on the defensive woes though, the problems with our defense is pass rush and not having a quality #2 corner. But yes we should definately be able to get a few key free agents (cap wise) and a couple solid players in the draft to help this team be great. 

41 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I hope we dont cut DQ. We need to keep DQ or atleast re-sign Freeman. They have been the voice of our Defense for the past few years and are solid players. I agree with your assessment on the defensive woes though, the problems with our defense is pass rush and not having a quality #2 corner. But yes we should definately be able to get a few key free agents (cap wise) and a couple solid players in the draft to help this team be great. 

Freeman we need to bring back, but IMO Sio Moore can give us everything DQ does and more at a much cheaper price. Sio is an athletic sideline to sideline type ILB. He can cover TE's, he's good against the run, and he can get some sacks blitzing. IMO he'll probably be starting next year. He was on PFF's all rookie team a couple years ago. He graded out very well. Now that he's been with us for a whole year he should be able to contribute big time next year.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Vonte did NOT have an Pro Bowl year.     Not even close.

This has nothing to do with big markets or small markets.

McAfee and Vinatieri are another story.     Both were worthy.....

I agree with the first part but the second is VERY debatable. Gostkowski like hasn't missed a fg since he came into the league....and nailed that big one to beat the Giants....there are several others ahead of Adam on the scoring lists etc...Adam wasn't even top 10. Punters yes...Pat was #2...only thing I can think of is that people don't find him as likable perhaps as we do around here...or they don't want him laying wood on their pro bowlers....but yes Pat had a good year this year. Overall we didn't have many pro bowl worthy players...that isn't uncommon when your not a playoff team.

34 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Good, then they all should be rested and ready for next season.

NO EXCUSES !

i think we just found our motto

I know you meant "NO EXCUSES," but I'm going with "rested and ready for next season."  I want to try it out on a T-shirt.

Indianapolis Colts

Rested and Ready for Next Season

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree with the first part but the second is VERY debatable. Gostkowski like hasn't missed a fg since he came into the league....and nailed that big one to beat the Giants....there are several others ahead of Adam on the scoring lists etc...Adam wasn't even top 10. Punters yes...Pat was #2...only thing I can think of is that people don't find him as likable perhaps as we do around here...or they don't want him laying wood on their pro bowlers....but yes Pat had a good year this year. Overall we didn't have many pro bowl worthy players...that isn't uncommon when your not a playoff team.

I'm just saying Pat and Adam were worthy.    Yes, there were lots of worthy candidates.

As for Vonte,  I don't think he was worthy,  despite, as Duston points out, a much better 2nd half to his season.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

After looking at the pro bowl roster there are quite a few players who's teams didn't make the playoffs, More so in the linemen but maybe more than you might think?

2 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Or maybe his "miraculous 2014 season" could be attributed to him facing some of the worst quarterbacks in NFL history.  

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisbeger, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco are some of the worst QBs in NFL history?

6 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Wow. Pat and/or Adam didn't make it? Amazing. Thought one of them would get the ProBowl vote. Not even at backup? C'mon NFL fans. Black balling Indianapolis gets you a BIG demerit from me.

Pat was not the leading punter in the NFL this year. That would be Johnny Hekker.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pat was not the leading punter in the NFL this year. That would be Johnny Hekker.

Hekker 47.9 a Punt, Pat 47.7. So statistically you would be correct by .2 a Punt LOL. Pat does other things though like his ability to do onside kicks, etc.. Hekker isn't better. Pat still should've made the ProBowl he was 2nd in average. I haven't even paid attention who all has made it but who was the Punters that made it over him? I am assuming Hekker is one of them. I don't even watch the game but I still think Pat got screwed and should've made it.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hekker 47.9 a Punt, Pat 47.7. So statistically you would be correct by .2 a Punt LOL. Pat does other things though like his ability to do onside kicks, etc.. Hekker isn't better. Pat still should've made the ProBowl he was 2nd in average. I haven't even paid attention who all has made it but who was the Punters that made it over him? I am assuming Hekker is one of them. I don't even watch the game but I still think Pat got screwed and should've made it.

Mcafee had 13 kicks inside the 20. Hekker had 41. Pat is rated the 5th best punter in the league on ESPN and the numbers show that.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mcafee had 13 kicks inside the 20. Hekker had 41. Pat is rated the 5th best punter in the league on ESPN and the numbers show that.

punters are pretty much a crap shot in pro bowl voting.  should they go by average distance, or kicks inside the 20? maybe its inside the 10.  could be trick plays.  

1st things 1st Vontae had down year compared to the standards he set for his self and I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was nicked up this year also everyone knows what a bad pass rush can do to a secondary.(I mean Darelle Revis had a down year if you ask me).

As for Pat Mc and Ol Vinny thats another story.

SNUBBED N ROBBED

Vontae's season was not that good this year.  Pro-bowl is only for your work this year and he doesn't deserve it.

McAfee and AV where probably the only colts who really deserved a pro-bowl nod this year.  But playing on a 500 team or a losing team hurts your chances a lot.  

On 1/18/2016 at 2:13 PM, azcolt said:

Only Colts fans would say Vontae had an all-pro season. QBs threw at him all year successfully. Why he had such a bad year is a puzzle. Maybe he was hurt.

I think the fact we had one of the worst pass-rushes in the league played a major role in this.  Not only did the pass-rush lack because of lack of talent (outside of Mathis who seemed to get stronger in the second half, though was not his former self in the early part of the season, none of our OLBs showed much ability to rush the passer -- I think the Cole signing was a fail, Werner is just not a pass-rusher, hopefully Newsome just had a case of the terrible 2's, Walden is OK as a pass-rusher but definitely more suited as an edge-setter, etc.), but I think our pass-rush lacked because our offense was not scary this year.  

Years when we've had successful pass-rushers (dating back to the Manning days w/ Freeney/Mathis), the only teams where we had a really scary pass rush is when our offense was scaring the opponent enough and putting enough points on the board to make the opposing O one-dimensional.  When our offense isn't a threat to score, the other offense can become multi-dimensional, which is not good for our D.

4 hours ago, IVORYsDAD said:

1st things 1st Vontae had down year compared to the standards he set for his self and I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was nicked up this year also everyone knows what a bad pass rush can do to a secondary.(I mean Darelle Revis had a down year if you ask me).

As for Pat Mc and Ol Vinny thats another story.

SNUBBED N ROBBED

Vinny wasn't even in the top 10 in FGs this season. Pat was rated 5th in the league according to ESPN and NFL.com. Don't get me wrong about either one of them because I wouldn't want to lose or trade either of them. With that being said because your a Colt fan does not make Vinny or Pat the top kicker or punter in the league this season. Vinny is a legend while Pat brings something to the field that is not common amongst punters. Pat is a football player and will hit you with the best of them. With that said the numbers don't lie and being in the pro bowl is voted on by coaches and fans.

11 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Brady, Rothlisberger and Romo all shredded the defense

okay..........but thats not even what we're arguing about here

Plus that Cowboys loss was a game in which we were trying fake punts from our own redzone in the first quarter. I doubt the team was really playing 100 percent