Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#2 CB next year will be

There's a lot to pick from...we'll get one of the young UFA's on a noteable starter level contract - probably $8M per year or more.  

Johnson might be a great choice

Amukamara is probably in the conversation too.

Casey Hayward is a good fit.

Other good young prove it level players we should look at to sign as well.

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Trumaine Johnson.

He's the young underrated CB that plays for the LA Rams! Would be great signing!

Thank Goodness he is underrated.

Or how about acting like we know how to draft & Coach, and drafting a CB in

rd one and lock him down for 4 years for $10M. Eh'
 Better yet, how about a CB at #48 for 4 years at about $4.8M.
 Cause we need Talent & Bargains.

So for some pre-combine bla bla

1st rd Eli Apple
 or

2nd rd William Jackson III

Not Toler and that right there is good enough in my book. We could do worse I will say that...Brandon Browner if he gets released...Coming off a bad year in New Orleans he still has one year left on his deal but a minimal cap hit if cut. Stay away from that Grigs

I'd be nice to have a big ball hawk next to Vontae. Johnson had 7 int's this year. and has had 3 or 4 every year he's been in the league. I don't want Amukamara personally. He's had too many issues with injuries and IMO Jenkins, Smith, Hayward, and Johnson are better than him.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Would love it if it were Mackensie Alexander. Alexander and Jaylon Smith are my two biggest wish list draftees for the Colts in round 1.

Alexander would be a great pick. Then in a perfect world we could get Spence in the 2nd. It'd be crazy if we signed a good FA corner like Johnson and then drafted Alexander too. We'd have a CB trio that would rival Denver's

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Grigson had a deal in place to trade up and select Hayward in the 2012 draft, but the Packers selected him two picks (or so) before our trade partner.  Grigson might consider him the one that got away...

Exactly.  And we had to settle for Dwayne Allen and Greg Toler.

13 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I'd love Janoris Jenkins. He gets better every year.

I love him too. The only issue I have with him is that he misses tackles. Although he could and should improve on that. But as far as everything else goes he's a top 15 corner IMO

13 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I love him too. The only issue I have with him is that he misses tackles. Although he could and should improve on that. But as far as everything else goes he's a top 15 corner IMO

Vontae is one of the best tackling corners in the league. On top of having Pags as his head coach. I'm not worried.

I'd grab Janoris/Hayward/Johnson/S. Smith pick one and look at sliding Djoun Smith into the nickel.  We've also got that 6th round guy we stole from the Skins last year Tevin Mitchell.  This might be the year we look at getting rid of Butler.

2 hours ago, Fyasko said:

The one that got away was selecting Werner when Xavier Rhodes was there for the taking round 1 in 2013.

Double-Facepalm-Meme-03.jpg

You may be right, but I've never heard anyone link Grigson to Rhodes, whereas I remember the story of his negotiated trade-up for Hayward really well.  Anyway, I was chanting the name "Larry Warford" when that 2013 selection came up, and I was probably as disappointed as you!

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd grab Janoris/Hayward/Johnson/S. Smith pick one and look at sliding Djoun Smith into the nickel.  We've also got that 6th round guy we stole from the Skins last year Tevin Mitchell.  This might be the year we look at getting rid of Butler.

I've been wondering about this too. Butler isn't as good as he was those couple years. And everybody is just writing D'Joun Smith off and I don't understand why. When we drafted him I though he would be a really good nickel if not a really good number 2. And he hasn't proven to be a bust. He barley played this past year and he was injured, so to write him off is odd IMO. I have high hopes for him this season. It would be great if we could cut Butler and let Smith be our nickel. And that Tevin Mitchell kid that we DID steel from the Redskins will probably make the team as like our 5th corner. Maybe he'll at least be better than Jahlil Brown and those guys lol. I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed a big name corner like Smith or Jenkins then drafted a corner early too.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I've been wondering about this too. Butler isn't as good as he was those couple years. And everybody is just writing D'Joun Smith off and I don't understand why. When we drafted him I though he would be a really good nickel if not a really good number 2. And he hasn't proven to be a bust. He barley played this past year and he was injured, so to write him off is odd IMO. I have high hopes for him this season. It would be great if we could cut Butler and let Smith be our nickel. And that Tevin Mitchell kid that we DID steel from the Redskins will probably make the team as like our 5th corner. Maybe he'll at least be better than Jahlil Brown and those guys lol. I also wouldn't be surprised if we signed a big name corner like Smith or Jenkins then drafted a corner early too.

I'm so ready for Jalil to pack his bags! I'm interested to see what we have in Tevin Mitchell. Big corner like I like them.

Small glimpses of film tell me he will be a good player. And yes I think people are sleeping on Djoun Smith also. I think he will take over the Nickel from Butler this year. Bring in one of the FA corners I mentioned and maybe look at drafting one more corner and we will be strong in the secondary. I want something like Denver has. They are so deep you don't really want to choose to come out passing on them because they have quality backups to snuff out your 3rd, 4th, and 5th receivers.

Edited by krunk

51 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm so ready for Jalil to pack his bags! I'm interested to see what we have in Tevin Mitchell. Big corner like I like them.

Small glimpses of film tell me he will be a good player. And yes I think people are sleeping on Djoun Smith also. I think he will take over the Nickel from Butler this year. Bring in one of the FA corners I mentioned and maybe look at drafting one more corner and we will be strong in the secondary. I want something like Denver has. They are so deep you don't really want to choose to come out passing on them because they have quality backups to snuff out your 3rd, 4th, and 5th receivers.

If we signed Sean Smith then drafted Mackenzie Alexander in the 1st we would have a CB group like Denver's IMO. A CB trio like Denver's is what I would love to see too.

32 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

If we signed Sean Smith then drafted Mackenzie Alexander in the 1st we would have a CB group like Denver's IMO. A CB trio like Denver's is what I would love to see too.

Yeah there's some options available. I didnt realize Tevin Mitchel shut Amari Cooper down in the Arkansas v Alabama game. He was held to 2 catches for 23 yards.

42 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Biggest thing im wanting to happen next season is us to make some strong investments in the front 7

I'd take Sean Smith first but I think he'll cost too much.

I think at least one of Jenkins and Johnson will stay with the Rams and the other will cost too much.

Casey Heyward is a slot corner and we have DB. (Unless you'd want to get rid of him, but we'd still need a 2)

I think the cheapest bet with the most upside is Prince Amukamara. But I would draft a corner pretty high as well.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Biggest thing im wanting to happen next season is us to make some strong investments in the front 7

I would love to see us get a legitament 2nd starting CB in FA & bring back Freeman at ILB. Lowery did a good job too if we could sign him to a cheap 2yr deal Geathers will be ready by then to be the starter to replace him. If Jaylon Smith falls after we draft Zeke we HAVE to trade up & snag him. Allen, Fleener & Vinateri I hope all remain Colts. Cut Cole & Werner. If possible adjust Art Jones & AJ's contracts but keep them. Find a legit Center & possible Guard in FA. All will be tough to do with or without re signing Luck but we need to get some stability, too much risk taking by Grigs. I wouldn't be mad at bring Whalen back either, need guys like him to keep continuity strong. I had high hopes for Duron Carters ceiling, hope he comes back too.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:06 AM, COLTBLUE42 said:

I would love to see us get a legitament 2nd starting CB in FA & bring back Freeman at ILB. Lowery did a good job too if we could sign him to a cheap 2yr deal Geathers will be ready by then to be the starter to replace him. If Jaylon Smith falls after we draft Zeke we HAVE to trade up & snag him. Allen, Fleener & Vinateri I hope all remain Colts. Cut Cole & Werner. If possible adjust Art Jones & AJ's contracts but keep them. Find a legit Center & possible Guard in FA. All will be tough to do with or without re signing Luck but we need to get some stability, too much risk taking by Grigs. I wouldn't be mad at bring Whalen back either, need guys like him to keep continuity strong. I had high hopes for Duron Carters ceiling, hope he comes back too.

Elliott's gonna be a good back but brother we have too many other issues to address. We need to get a difference maker on defense in the 1st round. Noah Spence, Leonard Floyd, Mackenzie Alexander, maybe even Myles Jack falls to us. We can get a good back in the 3rd round.

On 1/14/2016 at 4:23 PM, 21isSuperman said:

or Janoris Jenkins, who also played for the Rams.  A bit injury prone, but pretty good when healthy

Reminds me of Toler two seasons ago.... pass. 

We always get stung by the injury bug, everyone does, but the Colts do tend to get it worse season in and season out. We shouldnt reinforce this trend by signing players who are already injury prone imo.