Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts recruiting ex Rams fans

Cynjin

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in San Diego now but you won't see me jump on the LA Rams bandwagon or the Chargers. Despite the distance from Indy, I've been bleeding blue since the early '90s. Even when I was stationed in different states or countries, I never stopped believing in the Horseshoe. Go Colts!

7 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Kind of cheesy. Reminds me of the Redskins in April of 1983 !

It only brings back memories of the midnight Mayflower abandonment of Colts fans. Cheesy is a good description.. Like Irsay really cares and I think he voted for this move.

Just now, azcolt said:

It only brings back memories of the midnight Mayflower abandonment of Colts fans. Cheesy is a good description.. Like Irsay really cares.

I know it's business, but these fans are hurting and they are already getting a pitch. If they didn't try to push the Redskins down our throat after the Colts moved, I would probably feel different. 

12 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Kind of cheesy. Reminds me of the Redskins in April of 1983 !

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:
6 minutes ago, azcolt said:

It only brings back memories of the midnight Mayflower abandonment of Colts fans. Cheesy is a good description.. Like Irsay really cares and I think he voted for this move.

I'm not sure how it's cheesy, there are probably fans that will now be looking for another team to follow and go to games.  The two closest teams are the Colts and the Chiefs, it only makes sense that those fans looking for a new team would gravitate towards one of those teams.

53 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Jim Irsay had nothing to do with the Colts moving to Indy. Why would you even think that? Jim was not in charge of anything till after the move to Indy.

I feel for those Rams fans. They got their team taken away to a new city that cares more about how big Kim Kardashian's butt is than their new football team. I hope the LA Rams go 0-16 in 2016. They may have the advantage in baseball with higher payrolls in the Angels and Dodgers, but in the NFL, everyone's on a level playing field, and it's up to your coaches and FO to build and run a team correctly and outsmart the others. Lets see how loyal these "supposed LA fans are" without a huge advantage like their baseball teams.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

I'm not sure how it's cheesy, there are probably fans that will now be looking for another team to follow and go to games.  The two closest teams are the Colts and the Chiefs, it only makes sense that those fans looking for a new team would gravitate towards one of those teams.

Its a bit soon for all that. The fans will make their choices. Not everyone looks for a new team. I waiting 12 long years. 

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand your thoughts but this is a little different. At least the Colts aren't building a stadium closer to the location.

True, the Redskins and Jack Kent Crook did all of the above. We had some rogue Baltimoreans go to the Steelers. They may never eat crab cakes again. 

I just thought the timing a bit odd , when the St. Louis fans are still digesting the debacle. 

9 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Its a bit soon for all that. The fans will make their choices. Not everyone looks for a new team. I waiting 12 long years. 

Well, most of those fans lived in St.Louis and now they don't have a local team. They don't want to move to LA to start going to Rams games there, and a lot of them don't want to buy Sunday Ticket to get Rams games on the other side of the country anymore when it technically isn't in their area anymore. As Cynijn said, a lot of them will go toward what is closest in Indy and/or KC and start supporting a team that is on TV every week for them and that they can see at their stadium at a reasonable drive.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I feel for those Rams fans. They got their team taken away to a new city that cares more about how big Kim Kardashian's butt is than their new football team. I hope the LA Rams go 0-16 in 2016. They may have the advantage in baseball with higher payrolls in the Angels and Dodgers, but in the NFL, everyone's on a level playing field, and it's up to your coaches and FO to build and run a team correctly and outsmart the others. Lets see how loyal these "supposed LA fans are" without a huge advantage like their baseball teams.

I think the TV rights and corporate sponsorships make putting butts in the seats less important than in the old days. 

Just now, The Old Crow said:

I think the TV rights and corporate sponsorships make putting butts in the seats less important than in the old days. 

I agree, and it's unfortunate because they won't really feel the consequences of how bad a move (no pun intended) this really is. They may get a bit of support at first, but when the Rams don't start winning tons of games and making the playoffs, people's interest will quickly sway back to Hollywood and such and attendence will quickly go down. This is not a football town, plain and simple. It's also a hard division, and most casual fans won't understand why the LA Rams aren't making the playoffs the 1st year they are there. No upside to this move whatsoever.

43 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

California has too many sports teams. I'm still waiting on the day Indiana gets an MLB team, no offense to the Indians. 

Chargers

Rams

Raiders

49'ers 

---

Lakers

Kings

Warriors

Clippers

---

(don't really follow baseball) but certainly one of the teams can move to Indy :)

10 minutes ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

California has too many sports teams. I'm still waiting on the day Indiana gets an MLB team, no offense to the Indians. 

Chargers

Rams

Raiders

49'ers 

---

Lakers

Kings

Warriors

Clippers

---

(don't really follow baseball) but certainly one of the teams can move to Indy :)

I actually live in Colorado, but if Indy got an MLB team, that would be cool! I think that their fans are all or nothing for the most part. They either like every sport, because they get an advantage in every sport (talking about LA), or they don't like sports at all. This is a time where the fans in LA that will follow the Rams will have to follow a team that not only has even payroll as everyone else, but has an inferior QB and is a somewhat bad team. I don't see these fans being loyal for more than a season. 

California does have too many teams, BTW. You shouldn't be able to corner the market and have 1 state have 1/8 of all the football teams in the NFL. Diversify a little, states like Alabama, Oklahoma, and Oregon would love to have a team, and their loyalty from college football fans shows it. Keep the Oakland Raiders and the San Fran 49ers. Make the Chargers make a decision, if they want to move, move them to one of those 3 states or even to St Louis to replace the Rams.

3 hours ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

Chargers

Rams

Raiders

49'ers 

---

Lakers

Kings

Warriors

Clippers

---

I live in Virginia, we have no pro sports team. Forgive me for not feeling sorry for a state that has an NBA, and an NFL Franchise. For the record I'm closer to Charlotte than DC or Baltimore but none of those are in Virginia.

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

I think St Louis has lost just as many football teams as LA did.

LA lost the Rams and Raiders

St Louis lost the Cardinals and the Rams

Los Angeles has 2 Basketball teams, 2 Baseball teams, a hockey team, and now a football team. LA has more sports teams than most states, and people there care more about hollywood for the most part. They don't deserve half of what they get.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Los Angeles has 2 Basketball teams, 2 Baseball teams, a hockey team, and now a football team. LA has more sports teams than most states, and people there care more about hollywood for the most part. They don't deserve half of what they get.

absolutely they don't, I just found it interesting.

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

I don't know if it's too soon or not, but the fans will make their choices and some will probably choose to cheer for the Colts.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I understand your point but as long as the teams make money nothing is going to change. The fans in LA are soft but their money is not. I spent quite a bit of time out there off and on over a few years because of my job and it truly is a different world compared to the rest of the U.S.. Northern California would like the state to be split and really not be associated with the south. It is like two different states in a lot of ways.

2 hours ago, Devildog said:

I live in San Diego now but you won't see me jump on the LA Rams bandwagon or the Chargers. Despite the distance from Indy, I've been bleeding blue since the early '90s. Even when I was stationed in different states or countries, I never stopped believing in the Horseshoe. Go Colts!

Thanks for your service Jar Head...  I once was there also. 1/5  Pendleton, lived in Fallbrook

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand your point but as long as the teams make money nothing is going to change. The fans in LA are soft but their money is not. I spent quite a bit of time out there off and on over a few years because of my job and it truly is a different world compared to the rest of the U.S.. Northern California would like the state to be split and really not be associated with the south. It is like two different states in a lot of ways.

Yeah, I have nothing against some places there like San Diego, it's truly wonderful there. I have a problem with a City halfway across the country losing their sports team, and now they can't even travel to see it if they wanted to remain fans. They could of at least left the Rams in St. Louis and moved the Chargers to LA instead. That way, the Rams keep their team, LA still gets their team, and the people in San Diego who want to remain Charger fans get to travel to the games still. That'd mostly be a win-win for everybody.

54 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, most of those fans lived in St.Louis and now they don't have a local team. They don't want to move to LA to start going to Rams games there, and a lot of them don't want to buy Sunday Ticket to get Rams games on the other side of the country anymore when it technically isn't in their area anymore. As Cynijn said, a lot of them will go toward what is closest in Indy and/or KC and start supporting a team that is on TV every week for them and that they can see at their stadium at a reasonable drive.

One thing I know from experience is most St Louis fans will not follow the LA Rams. They are fuming , and hate Kroenke. Some may drift to the Chiefs or Colts, but not many. Most will concentrate on their remaining sports teams, the Cardinals and Blues, and hope that one day the NFL will return. Most will follow the NFL casually, maybe based on a favorite player, or something, but I doubt few will go elsewhere. The ones that probably would pick the LA Rams or another team, are fans outside St Louis. 

56 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree, and it's unfortunate because they won't really feel the consequences of how bad a move (no pun intended) this really is. They may get a bit of support at first, but when the Rams don't start winning tons of games and making the playoffs, people's interest will quickly sway back to Hollywood and such and attendence will quickly go down. This is not a football town, plain and simple. It's also a hard division, and most casual fans won't understand why the LA Rams aren't making the playoffs the 1st year they are there. No upside to this move whatsoever.

I am not saying this is a great NFL city or fan base, just the greed of the owners with the market size , TV rights, and corporate sponsorships. It's all about that. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

One thing I know from experience is most St Louis fans will not follow the LA Rams. They are fuming , and hate Kroenke. Some may drift to the Chiefs or Colts, but not many. Most will concentrate on their remaining sports teams, the Cardinals and Blues, and hope that one day the NFL will return. Most will follow the NFL casually, maybe based on a favorite player, or something, but I doubt few will go elsewhere. The ones that probably would pick the LA Rams or another team, are fans outside St Louis. 

Yeah, that makes sense. The Cardinals are always an excellent MLB team and are always competing. I don't know anything about the Blues as I don't follow Hockey. I do hope a couple former St. Louis fans become Colts fans though. It's always nice to have a bigger fanbase and more support for the team.

3 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I think some will, but most will not. They really don't have much in common with the Colts. 

The new age Rams don't, as they are a defensive team, but "The greatest show on turf" Rams with Kurt Warner do, and a lot of fans might want to root for the Colts and try to see if Luck can replicate what the Rams were with Torry Holt and Issac Bruce. These will most likely be older fans, but I expect a few of them to switch allegiance here.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The new age Rams don't, as they are a defensive team, but "The greatest show on turf" Rams with Kurt Warner do, and a lot of fans might want to root for the Colts and try to see if Luck can replicate what the Rams were with Torry Holt and Issac Bruce. These will most likely be older fans, but I expect a few of them to switch allegiance here.

I'm sure some will, but most NFL fans want to root for a local team , unless they are in a remote area. Put the shoe on the other foot. The Colts have just left for LA. You guys are rightfully crushed. McCaskey sends out a tweet to invite you to join Bear's nation because it's a short drive. How do you feel ? 

I live in Colorado Springs, so that doesn't apply to me. if I wanted to root for a local team, I'd root for the Broncos, and believe me, I could of easily been a bandwagon fan when Manning came here, and I stuck with the Colts. I think some people will focus on other sports there, but others are and will always be football fans and they will want someone to root for. KC and Indy are the teams where they can drive to to watch the game live, and they are likely the teams that will be on TV now without paying for Sunday ticket. I would say most teams will root for one of these two out of familarity and location.

I live just as close to St Louis as I do Indianapolis (South Central Illinois)110 miles from each. I personally don't know any Rams fans. They are either Colts, Bears, or a small group of Packers fans. Now if you are talking baseball then they are all Cards fans

1 minute ago, jet1968 said:

I live just as close to St Louis as I do Indianapolis (South Central Illinois). I personally don't know any Rams fans. They are either Colts, Bears, or a small group of Packers fans. Now if you are talking baseball then they are all Cards fans

I believe this 100%.