Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: City, NFL Scouting Combine nearing 5-year contract agreement

bababooey

Probably. They've been talking about rotating the Combine for a few years now. They're trying to build an NFL sports, media and entertainment compound in LA. They'll eventually be hosting the Combine and the draft, and probably NFL Honors, and a bunch of other stuff.

Maybe they'll continue rotating some of these events.

Sucks because Indy has been great for the Combine. Would think that the city would get another SB if the league moves the Combine.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Probably. They've been talking about rotating the Combine for a few years now. They're trying to build an NFL sports, media and entertainment compound in LA. They'll eventually be hosting the Combine and the draft, and probably NFL Honors, and a bunch of other stuff.

Sucks because Indy has been great for the Combine. Would think that the city would get another SB if the league moves the Combine.

I'd like to see another SB as consolation if we have to lose the combine.

I'm still not quite over losing the NFL Draft in NY because of Jim Dolan's terrible "spring spectacular" play that the rockettes put on at radio city music hall now. Chicago has been doing a fine job but I think it should start rotating now if it's not a staple in NY anymore, same goes for the combine if it's not a staple in Indy.

I thought one of the advantages of having the Combine in Indy is because it's more of a quiet city.  If you have the Combine in Miami or LA, you run the risk of having the participants being late, going partying, etc.  That's certainly no fault of the NFL and 100% of that responsibility falls on the participants, but keeping the Combine in a quieter city just helps prevent any issues altogether.

21 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I thought one of the advantages of having the Combine in Indy is because it's more of a quiet city.  If you have the Combine in Miami or LA, you run the risk of having the participants being late, going partying, etc.  That's certainly no fault of the NFL and 100% of that responsibility falls on the participants, but keeping the Combine in a quieter city just helps prevent any issues altogether.

It's also relatively central and indoors.  

Also most the downtown hotels are linked and players can just walk to LOS through the convention center.

Indy is actually the perfect city for it IMO. 

Sure hope the NFL maintains what integrity they have left.  I'm sure they not only want a team in LA, but a juggernaut would be good for their bottom line,  and it would also ensure that the fanbase is properly loyal and maintained.  They're never going to want to lose LA again! 

I'll be watching for whacky trades that are one-sided,  FA acquistions where star players leave small market teams, combine moved to LA(already happening), lop-sided, favorable penalty calling, top coaching hires....I'm just joking,  sort of. ... but you know,  I'm gonna watch just in case.  I don't want to see East Coast vs West Coast, Rams versus Patriots in the Superbowl every year! 

Yes, enjoy the tinfoil hats!

I can see it now:

Crowd cheers as Todd Gurley breaks a tackle for a 40 yard TD....

Mrs LA Rams fan; "What happened? Did someone hit a home run?

Mr LA Rams fan; "Touchdown. It's called a touchdown Dear".

Mrs LA Rams fan: "That's wonderful Pookey!" Can we leave soon? I have a petticure appointment".

Mr LA Rams fan: "Let's wait until the 4th quarter".

Mrs. LA Rams fan: How many quarters are there"?

Mr LA Rams fan: "Four, Four quarters Dear".

Mrs. LA Rams fan: "Oh. Darn"!

Mr. LA Rams fan: "What's the matter"?

Mrs. LA Rams fan: " There's no Grey Poupon on my hot dog"!

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I thought that a main reason for the combine being in Indy was because the local medical infrastructure had been trained well to work with the athletes.  Why change something that isn't broken?

1 hour ago, peytonmanning18 said:

People that are suggesting the NFL would give Indy another Super Bowl in exchange for taking the combine are insane.  If Indy gets another Super Bowl it will have nothing to do with the combine.  Who cares where they do the combine?

Who cares? The people of Indy. They are the ones who make the money. That money goes to recouping the cost of Lucas Oil Stadium. It's a lot of money so your comment means you didn't give it much thought.

Being I don't have a dog in the fight it don't matter. But I will say that Oakland needs to build a stadium for their fans. The Raider fans have always been true and powerful for the Raiders no matter what the wins and losses were. The Black Hole is something that has a life of it's own and needs to be fed.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Being I don't have a dog in the fight it don't matter. But I will say that Oakland needs to build a stadium for their fans. The Raider fans have always been true and powerful for the Raiders no matter what the wins and losses were. The Black Hole is something that has a life of it's own and needs to be fed.

Wholeheartedly agree.  The Black Hole is synonymous with NFL football.  We need the Dawg pound, the Lambeau Leap, the Black Hole, et al...they add character and richness to the game we love. 

Feel sorry for the fanbases losing their franchises too. The business side- greed over tradition- is always an unwelcomed side show.

moot point I'm about to bring up but I read an article not too long ago that involved the head person of the combine and Jim Irsay having a gentleman's agreement, a hand shake to follow through with it, stating that as long as the current person that's in charge of the combine remains, the combine will be held in Indy

1 hour ago, peytonmanning18 said:

People that are suggesting the NFL would give Indy another Super Bowl in exchange for taking the combine are insane.  If Indy gets another Super Bowl it will have nothing to do with the combine.  Who cares where they do the combine?

Who cares?  You can't be serious.  How about the two contracting parties?  The parties that actually matter?  The City of Indianapolis, who derives a benefit from the combine, not to mention all the publicity (for the economically challenged, that means getting future contracts).  Then there's the NFL, who hasn't thought of moving the combine anywhere else in the past 30 years up until now.  And then there's 3rd party beneficiaries such as the local private businesses and the like.  

Who cares?  The answer should have been obvious...

It will be in LA before you know it. Kroenke is building a new state of the art stadium, and he's building the NFL a new state of the art studio for the NFL Network. 

Not only that, but everyone who attends isn't going to complain much about having to go to LA rather than Indy in the dead of winter. 

1 hour ago, Esquire59 said:

No one hosts sporting events like Indy (America's sports capital).  Give it a couple years of snafu's in LA or some other city that can't hold a candle to Indy as a host; it'll be back. 

I've been to Los Angeles more then I can count. Los Angeles is one big snafu in itself. In fact Ive been to every city you can think of and I cant think of a single city that is more of a mess then Los Angeles. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Who cares? The people of Indy. They are the ones who make the money. That money goes to recouping the cost of Lucas Oil Stadium. It's a lot of money so your comment means you didn't give it much thought.

Yeah because the combine is a huge money maker.  It's not like the combine is bringing tens of thousands of people to Indianapolis.  A few hundred players, agents, team personnel and that's it.  

47 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It will be in LA before you know it. Kroenke is building a new state of the art stadium, and he's building the NFL a new state of the art studio for the NFL Network. 

Not only that, but everyone who attends isn't going to complain much about having to go to LA rather than Indy in the dead of winter. 

I don't know if you are familiar with downtown Indy but you can get around most of the places without going outside. But one very good point you said was the cluster mess of LA is a nightmare. snafu is a kind word to describe it. :D

2 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Yeah because the combine is a huge money maker.  It's not like the combine is bringing tens of thousands of people to Indianapolis.  A few hundred players, agents, team personnel and that's it.  

It does bring in quite a bit of money along with the notoriety of the sports networks being there. A few hundred player, agents, team personnel is only part of it. You have the network crews, the communication crews and security crews. Every time someone watches the combine it gives Indy a positive hit and leads to other things. It advertises the city and therefor brings in money from other sources. I don't understand why you feel the need to downplay the event. You seem to think it is a negative thing with the way you present yourself. Myself and a couple of other forum members have tried to explain why having the combine in Indy is a good thing but your argumentative replies have become lame.

4 hours ago, ViriLudant said:

I thought that a main reason for the combine being in Indy was because the local medical infrastructure had been trained well to work with the athletes.  Why change something that isn't broken?

To answer the question, money.

I am not aware of the medical infrastructure reasoning. Doesn't mean that isn't/hasn't been a factor. But there's plenty of sports medicine in LA.

4 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Shocking that I disagree with one of your takes...

The NFL has a long tradition of helping with a Super Bowl bid for a franchise / city that builds a new stadium.  It does not strike me as too big a stretch for them to also help with the process of getting another Super Bowl should the combine go elsewhere.  Particularly so since the Super Bowl here was a huge success by any measure.

Further, the city would care if the combine goes to LA as the free advertising that comes from it being here is hugely beneficial to Indy.  Local vendors would care as it generates additional business in a time of year that I am sure is generally down.  I think there is also a civic pride aspect as well.  Long story short - because it is not a big deal to you does not mean that it is not a big deal.

i would trade the combine to LA for perpetuity for one more super bowl in the near future

i dont get much out of the combine being in indy in the first place, i'm not a hotel.   its just something to watch on tv, could be in timbuktu for all i care.

http://cbs4indy.com/2016/01/13/city-nfl-scouting-combine-nearing-5-year-contract-agreement/

Combine officials and representatives of the Capital Improvement Board and Visit Indy are close to finalizing a five-year contract that will tie the NFL’s annual, high-profile player evaluation event to Indianapolis through 2020. A deal could be in place sometime this week.

11 minutes ago, MTC said:

Makes sense. The LA venue won't be ready until 2019.

Another question, the LA venue is going to be open air; I don't remember anyone mentioning that it will have a retractable roof. I don't know if that's ideal for the Combine. 

Edit: The LA stadium will have a full, see-through roof. Problem solved.

1 hour ago, jet1968 said:

My guess is that the NFL will try to put it where ever they can make the most money out of it. I hope it is here thru 2020 but then the NFL will re-evaluate it again to see if they can make more money out of it elsewhere.

Indianapolis being in the center of the country might effect time and travel expenses? Plus the cost of operating and paying for the hotels, food and other things are more than likely as cheap as anywhere in the country if not cheaper. You compare the cost of those things mentioned and the closer you get to the coast in both directions becomes a lot more expensive. I cant say that is fact, just my thoughts after doing a lot of traveling in my lifetime.

The NFL needs to stop trying to force a major presence in LA. It's not going to work. I bet $10 that the LA Rams won't even sell out season tickets. The proposed 2019 Englewood stadium will generate more revenue from non-football related activities.

Moving the combine to LA would be a terrible idea. Or having it anywhere but Indy. I trust Irsay will fight like hell to keep the Combine. I'm all in favor of them moving the draft though. I got tired of all the NY sports fans. Terrible crowd IMO. I'd put it in Atlanta which is surrounded by big football states.

3 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

I don't think it's quite that simple.

It's a convention....    you're probably talking about several thousand people for a week.

There are a lot of people coming in.     No, not tens of thousands...   but several thousand.

If it wasn't a money maker for Indianapolis,   the city wouldn't  work so hard to keep it.

9 hours ago, ViriLudant said:

When has that ever stopped the government or a corporation? 

How does the NFL make money off of the combine?  it doesn't sell tickets or broadcast the event and therefore does not sell air time.  I suppose the NFL gives its own network something to talk about so they indirectly make money off of advertising it gets from that, but where the venue is doesn't really impact it.

The NFL treats the combine as a business meeting and not an event...only the media and fans treat it like an event.  Having it in Indy for business reasons makes sense.