Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

UPDATE: Rams moving to LA, Chargers pending decision

The Old Crow

I have been following the travails of the cities of St. Louis, Oakland, and San Diego, with the possible move to LA. Everything is just such big business now, the shame of it is that the fans of these cities get screwed. These owners put a crappy product on the field year after year, and when the fans eventually stop coming because they feel it's a hopeless situation, these owners are bailed out with a lucrative move, and golden parachute. It's a shame all teams can't use the Packers model, so that fans and cities don't get blackmailed by some of these shiftless owners. I know many cities have great owners who put a great product on the field, but some of these owners are just incompetent. Kroenke is the worst for me. He evokes ill memories from a different time and place. It seems that many of these moves that have occurred throughout the years,  you have LA, the Rams, Oakland, or a Davis involved !

Edit: 

Edited by Superman

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Blackmailed? Shiftless? and the fans are completely innocent victims? 

I think it's more complicated than that

Especially with Oakland and San Diego. San Diego has wanted a new stadium for years, but hasn't gotten one. Oakland's stadium has a terrible sewage system that overfloods the stadium at times. Those cities has screwed over their teams more than the owners. Fans should be upset at the city, not the owners.

Was watching the NFL Network a little while ago & it seems that the owners are high on the Inglewood proposal. Oakland bows out. San Diego & St. Louis relocate to L.A. & share the stadium there. The NFL, then in turn, helps the Raiders & the city of Oakland with funds to build a new stadium. The Carson, Ca. project seems to be a big stickler with the majority of owners. They've already voted once on it & turned it down. Any proposal needs 24 votes to pass.

The owners have vowed to get this problem resolved by overnight. I guess we're gonna find out soon.

55 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Blackmailed? Shiftless? and the fans are completely innocent victims? 

I think it's more complicated than that

If you want to blame the politicians in these cities, I agree, but two of the  owners , Kroenke and Davis,have put a mediocre product on the field for many years , depressing attendance, and the fans. The Chargers have been decent, and their attendance is respectable . All the fans want is good NFL football. If you put a consistent winner out there, people will come. If you've been good for many years, and have a few down years, they will still come. When you are inept and put a horrible product on the field year after year, you will get the diehards, but lose the casual fans. This is universal in all NFL cities. 

41 minutes ago, Solon said:

Especially with Oakland and San Diego. San Diego has wanted a new stadium for years, but hasn't gotten one. Oakland's stadium has a terrible sewage system that overfloods the stadium at times. Those cities has screwed over their teams more than the owners. Fans should be upset at the city, not the owners.

The better owners usually can work with the cities to get deals. Oakland is a pit, but the fans are rabid if you put out a good product. I agree, bad politicos can cost you. 

5 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Was watching the NFL Network a little while ago & it seems that the owners are high on the Inglewood proposal. Oakland bows out. San Diego & St. Louis relocate to L.A. & share the stadium there. The NFL, then in turn, helps the Raiders & the city of Oakland with funds to build a new stadium. The Carson, Ca. project seems to be a big stickler with the majority of owners. They've already voted once on it & turned it down. Any proposal needs 24 votes to pass.

The owners have vowed to get this problem resolved by overnight. I guess we're gonna find out soon.

Wouldn't we all agree that if you went just by stadium need, Oakland should be given first priority ? Look, I'm the capitalist's capitalist, but Kroenke coming into Spano's and Davis's deal is all about making obscene money with Inglewood. You guys know where this is heading ? Soon as cities will have to have Jerry Jones type stadiums. Great stadiums like nice ones we have in Baltimore and Indy won't be good enough. The problem is a city had better pay no matter how bad of a product these guys put on the field , because these guys will take their show to the next city. All but the lucky Packer fans that own their team ! 

It would be tough for the Chargers if the Raiders stay in Oakland and the Chargers go to LA.  They wouldn't have a home game against the Raiders.   Raiders fans would outnumber the Charger fans in LA.

As for St. Louis, I don't think they should feel too bad.  I think they'll get another team (probably the Jaguars).  

Very glad to see the Raiders stay in Oakland.....hopefully..the NFL can help them get a new stadium.

Glad to see the Rams go back to Los Angeles and the new LA stadium is good for SD.

One thing: That new stadium cant be ready next fall, right?  When will the Rams and SD Chargers a play THIS FALL?

Just now, MTC said:

Feel bad for the fans in St. Louis and San Diego.

San Diego is a great city. Not sure why they wanted to move. 

St Louis has now been burned twice. They had Bill Bidwell and now Kroenke. They support the Cardinals, and would support the Rams more if they didn't stink for so long. San Diego had decent attendance, but I think eventually most of these owners are going to want mega stadiums. 

16 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

It would be tough for the Chargers if the Raiders stay in Oakland and the Chargers go to LA.  They wouldn't have a home game against the Raiders.   Raiders fans would outnumber the Charger fans in LA.

As for St. Louis, I don't think they should feel too bad.  I think they'll get another team (probably the Jaguars).  

Missouri still has the chiefs

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think it pretty much comes down to the city wouldn't build a new stadium.

I give you guys credit in Indy. You understand  stadiums have to be built to get or  keep teams. We learned the hard way in Baltimore. These unfortunate fans in these cities will lose their history , and have no football on Sundays. Kurt Warner will be showing up in LA celebrating a Super Bowl won in St. Louis. I don't envy their fans. 

Just now, The Old Crow said:

Well, I guess we all have an opinion based on our personal history. I have been on both sides of the coin, and I can honestly tell you I was not happy with either scenario. 

I hid my post because I didn't want you to think I was trying to annoy you. I guess I'll unhide it.

Long and short, it's obvious why you'd have a strong opinion about this. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I hid my post because I didn't want you to think I was trying to annoy you. I guess I'll unhide it.

Long and short, it's obvious why you'd have a strong opinion about this. 

No big deal. Obviously this hits home. I just feel bad for the fans of any NFL city that goes through this including Cleveland. Its big business , and its getting bigger. 

10 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I give you guys credit in Indy. You understand  stadiums have to be built to get or  keep teams. We learned the hard way in Baltimore. These unfortunate fans in these cities will lose their history , and have no football on Sundays. Kurt Warner will be showing up in LA celebrating a Super Bowl won in St. Louis. I don't envy their fans. 

Yeah, but you guys have the Ravens, who have had a pretty good run thus far.  I don't consider the Ravens a rival or bitter enemy at all, though I know some in Baltimore who now hate the Colts.   I like the Ravens, especially their emphasis on a tough D. 

1 minute ago, MTC said:

Let me see if I get this right:

Rams move to LA

Chargers have option to move to LA

If Chargers move to LA, Raiders will move to SD.

Last part is undetermined. I think the deal is the Raiders get some financial support from the league to build a new stadium in Oakland as option #1. If the city doesn't get it together, then the Raiders get help/preferential options from the league for future relocation options.

I don't think the league wants a team in San Diego if there's a team in LA. The Chargers feel that if a team is in LA, their attendance and ratings go down drastically, and I think the league agrees with that thinking. 

2 minutes ago, MTC said:

Let me see if I get this right:

Rams move to LA

Chargers have option to move to LA

If Chargers move to LA, Raiders will move to SD.

Everything except Oakland stays put in Oakland. NFL to help the Raiders fund a new stadium. At least that's the way it stands now to this minute.

Just now, GwinnettColt said:

Yeah, but you guys have the Ravens, who have had a pretty good run thus far.  I don't consider the Ravens a rival or bitter enemy at all, though I know some in Baltimore who now hate the Colts.   I like the Ravens, especially their emphasis on a tough D. 

Its all good with the Ravens and Colts. Time does pass and heal the wounds. Both teams and fan bases have been fortunate we having winning teams and good stadiums. These other poor schmoes will be waking up to no  NFL football. Out nitemare was to last twelve long years as Taglibue and Jack Kent Cooke kept us out of the NFL. 

What does this mean for the players? When the players signed their contracts, presumably it was to play in St. Louis or San Diego...not L.A. Does anyone know if they could opt out or renegotiate if they didn't want to move?

I would assume that whoever wrote up the contracts would have taken that into consideration and the players are bound to the Chargers/Rams, but I really have no idea.

8 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

Everything except Oakland stays put in Oakland. NFL to help the Raiders fund a new stadium. At least that's the way it stands now to this minute.

Now it's said that the Chargers can get $100m from the league to build in San Diego. Same as the Raiders to stay in Oakland. 

2 minutes ago, nburgmei said:

What does this mean for the players? When the players signed their contracts, presumably it was to play in St. Louis or San Diego...not L.A. Does anyone know if they could opt out or renegotiate if they didn't want to move?

I would assume that whoever wrote up the contracts would have taken that into consideration and the players are bound to the Chargers/Rams, but I really have no idea.

Players are bound to the team, not the city.

San Diego has 1 year to make it's decision on the option to join the Rams in L.A. The city of San Diego has just stated that they would give the citizens of that city a vote on a new stadium deal in June this year. A lot of what ifs. The NFL has stated that they do not want 2 NFL teams in the same city in California. So, what does that mean given the fact the Chargers have the option to join the Rams? I think it puts a lot of pressure on the Chargers to get a deal done in San Diego.

All of this reported a couple minutes ago on the NFL Network.