Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen says he plans to be back

RockThatBlue

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Colts keep Allen, and Chudzinski involves game planning to target Dwayne in different offensive schemes & blocking/receiving sets, I think that might be a better course of action than to get rid of his services. The guy can catch, receive, run after the catch, and block. Dwayne needs to avoid injuries through strength IMO. Not that he isn't already, but can be much more formidable with diffferent tactics.

17 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Not sure why many fans have figured it a forgone conclusion that it has to be either Allen or Fleener to stay, hopefully Grigs & Bluem can work their magic and sign both without breaking the bank...

Doyle has been really good for us and has done more than Allen has in both of the past two seasons. Yes Allen was hurt, but that doesn't take away what Doyle has done. Plus, Swoope still has yet to be fully shown to us.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Luck's Beard said:

Doyle has been really good for us and has done more than Allen has in both of the past two seasons. Yes Allen was hurt, but that doesn't take away what Doyle has done. Plus, Swoope still has yet to be fully shown to us.

Allen had 8 touchdown receptions in 2014. Love Doyle but not excited to see him every play if I had to choose. When he's in he's effective and I don't want to lose that.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Luck's Beard said:

I definitely agree with bab. I love Doyle but he's a 3rd TE. DA is a far superior TE. I honestly love our trio or TE and all bring something very special. Fleener is a vertical threat and finds creases. Dwayne Allen is a big blocking tight end and can catch and run. Doyle is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I think it'd be a shame not to keep them all

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

He says this because he wants a contract, wouldn't put much stock in it.

He has talked about how much he loves Indy since he got here.  Sure, everyone will say that kind of crap, but I actually think he means it.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I hope Allen stays.   Fleener can go.   TE's like Fleener are a dime a dozen in my opinion.   Allen is a good blocker as well as a good receiver.

I agree about Allen. But you're nuts if you think guys like fleener are a dime a dozen. 

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I agree about Allen. But you're nuts if you think guys like fleener are a dime a dozen. 

I say that because it seems every year there are several TE's who come out of nowhere to have great years.   Fleener can't block.   I don't think the Colts would see much of a difference if you replaced Fleener with Doyle.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

we need both allen and fleener back. I just hope their contracts are similar so theres no tension between the two

After the four years that each have had,  I don't think the two contracts are going to be similar.

Fleener is going to be offered more.    The question is....    how much more?

Personally,  I'd be very happy to have both Fleener and Allen back to be with Doyle....

Maybe I am just a cynic but I don't think this means much.  Most players aren't going to come out and trash the team or city right before going into free agency.  Also, this puts some pressure on the team to try to get a deal done with him as they now look like the bad guys if a deal doesn't get done because the player is going I want to be here. 

With that said it would be nice if they can keep him and Fleener.  The fact Allen didn't have a good season and really hasn't since his rookie year due mostly to injuries probably works in the Colts favor to keep him as I doubt Allen will demand a big contract on the open market. 

Honestly between, Adam, Allen, Fleener, Freeman, and Luck's extension I don't expect the Colts to be big players in free agency this year in terms of getting other players.  I expect them to spend money to try to keep their own.  I also think Irsay has singled a return to the draft to try to build the team rather than trying to do it mostly through free agency.  They might still add guys here or there but I doubt they will be the major players they have been in the past. 

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

I say that because it seems every year there are several TE's who come out of nowhere to have great years.   Fleener can't block.   I don't think the Colts would see much of a difference if you replaced Fleener with Doyle.

Except that Fleener can and does block.    Perhaps not great,  but he's not terrible.

Plus there's no way in the world that Doyle replaces Fleener, because he can't do what Coby can.   He's not a downfield thread,  he's not a real receiving threat.     He's more blocker and less of a receiver.....

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's a myth that Fleener can't block.  I forget what week it was but it was late in the season one of the webpages that grades players graded both Allen and Fleener out as two of the top 15 blocking tigthends in the league. Fleener and Allen were largely judged based on their rookie seasons by a lot of fans.  Since then people tend to ignore that Allen can't stay healthy and that Fleener has gotten much better across the board since his rookie season. 

26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe I am just a cynic but I don't think this means much.  Most players aren't going to come out and trash the team or city right before going into free agency.

It's obviously just words right now, but the point is that it could have been different words. He could have hedged with the old 'we'll see what happens in free agency, I'll talk to my agent and my family, yadda yadda...' He came out and said "I want to be here." That's better than the alternative.

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It's a myth that Fleener can't block.  I forget what week it was but it was late in the season one of the webpages that grades players graded both Allen and Fleener out as two of the top 15 blocking tigthends in the league. Fleener and Allen were largely judged based on their rookie seasons by a lot of fans.  Since then people tend to ignore that Allen can't stay healthy and that Fleener has gotten much better across the board since his rookie season. 

I would stop looking at that site lol.  Fleener is a pretty good blocker on the move, but inline,. not so much.

Arians playbook evolved to Pep Hamilton dusting it off and just adding a few things on top of it, at least it seemed like, and then Chud using Pep Hamilton's playbook ---> Arians is still the master playbook???

The reason I bring this up is when Arians was in Pitt, the TEs were not used nearly as much as when Todd Haley came along, and now that they have 3 wide outs, they are back to the 3 WR sets again. Colts did not use Fleener and Allen as much in year 1, and really have not maxed the ability of our TEs, period. It could all go back to the Arians playbook serving as the foundation that got Luck looking deep, deep, deep :).

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Arians playbook evolved to Pep Hamilton dusting it off and just adding a few things on top of it, at least it seemed like, and then Chud using Pep Hamilton's playbook ---> Arians is still the master playbook???

The reason I bring this up is when Arians was in Pitt, the TEs were not used nearly as much as when Todd Haley came along, and now that they have 3 wide outs, they are back to the 3 WR sets again. Colts did not use Fleener and Allen as much in year 1, and really have not maxed the ability of our TEs, period. It could all go back to the Arians playbook serving as the foundation that got Luck looking deep, deep, deep :).

Heath miller's biggest statistical season was under bruce as the OC 

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I would stop looking at that site lol.  Fleener is a pretty good blocker on the move, but inline,. not so much.

First,   Fleener is rarely asked to do much in-line blocking, so I don't get the constant disparaging.

Second,  when he does,  typically what he's asked to do is "chip" and not take on a pass rusher 1-on-1, or run block where he is the key blocker at the point of the attack.      The Colts know Fleener doesn't do either well and they rarely ask him to do those things.    It's more of a surprise when he IS asked to do those things.

I've described him as willing....   if asked,  he tries his best to do so....     but he's not often asked,  and that mostly because what he CAN do well is important to the team so that's what they have him do.

I think the Fleener hate (not you, BOTT) is hugely out of proportion and has been since year 1 when Allen had a better rookie season than Coby.     Things have been different since then and it often feels like few around here have noticed....    (again,  not you, BOTT)

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

He has talked about how much he loves Indy since he got here.  Sure, everyone will say that kind of crap, but I actually think he means it.

Yea then you remember he spends his offseason in Arizona then complains when he's not on the team calendar...love the guy but for the right price.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

It's obviously just words right now, but the point is that it could have been different words. He could have hedged with the old 'we'll see what happens in free agency, I'll talk to my agent and my family, yadda yadda...' He came out and said "I want to be here." That's better than the alternative.

I agree he could have said something else, I just don't think it means much.  I am not saying it's good or bad. 

I like DA but he's injured too much. I like Ahmad Bradshaw also, but again, he's injured too much. Allen is > Doyle from a talent perspective, but Doyle is out on the field actually helping his team!!!  I say, keep Fleener. Let Allen go. Sign another TE that can block & catch (David Morgan II) for rookie pay.

6 hours ago, ColtRider said:

If the Colts keep Allen, and Chudzinski involves game planning to target Dwayne in different offensive schemes & blocking/receiving sets, I think that might be a better course of action than to get rid of his services. The guy can catch, receive, run after the catch, and block. Dwayne needs to avoid injuries through strength IMO. Not that he isn't already, but can be much more formidable with diffferent tactics.

Agreed on all counts.  Well said.  If the Colts can afford to keep Fleener, Allen, and Doyle, the team would have a very solid/deep TE pool.

I don't understand the love for Fleener.   He's not a bad TE, but he's also not great.   He's not a good blocker but can catch the ball going down the middle.   I guess it would be Ok to sign him if he doesn't want a big contract.  

36 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't understand the love for Fleener.   He's not a bad TE, but he's also not great.   He's not a good blocker but can catch the ball going down the middle.   I guess it would be Ok to sign him if he doesn't want a big contract.  

In the 2014 season he was I think #8 in receiving yards among TE's.

He's severely underrated.  And there are TE's that arn't as good as he is making between 6 and 8 million APY.

Wow. I was expecting him to say he would sign with which ever team offered him the most money and that he thought he was done wrong in Indy this season. I cant believe he didn't say that. I mean he said the exact opposite of what I thought he would say. LOL. But seriously. I'd love to have him back. But our main focus at TE has to be re-signing Fleener. But if we can bring back both that'd be great. Maybe we can take advantage of Allen not being used much as a receiver this year.

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe I am just a cynic but I don't think this means much.  Most players aren't going to come out and trash the team or city right before going into free agency.  Also, this puts some pressure on the team to try to get a deal done with him as they now look like the bad guys if a deal doesn't get done because the player is going I want to be here. 

With that said it would be nice if they can keep him and Fleener.  The fact Allen didn't have a good season and really hasn't since his rookie year due mostly to injuries probably works in the Colts favor to keep him as I doubt Allen will demand a big contract on the open market. 

Honestly between, Adam, Allen, Fleener, Freeman, and Luck's extension I don't expect the Colts to be big players in free agency this year in terms of getting other players.  I expect them to spend money to try to keep their own.  I also think Irsay has singled a return to the draft to try to build the team rather than trying to do it mostly through free agency.  They might still add guys here or there but I doubt they will be the major players they have been in the past. 

Dude. We can re-sign Luck, Freeman, Fleener, and Allen and still have quite a bit of cap space left. We should be able to sign those 4 plus 3 good free agents. Remember we'll be cutting Cole, AJ, and maybe DQ and Art Jones. Plus Toler and Hasselbeck's contracts coming off the books. No reason we cant re-sign our own and also sign say Osemele, Irvin, and Sean Smith

Why do people not understand how important having a good receiving TE is? Fleener is a good receiving TE. And we have to bring him back seeing as how there's no really good receiving TE's on the FA market. Our only option would be to draft Hunter Henry.