Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers OL coach reportedly offered the job

snkdy

25 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Hmm you think he will accept? 

The 49ers currently do not have a head coach. It's likely that with a new coach comes a new philosophy and a new staff. Therefore, it's likely that he may accept this position.

8 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

of course they offered him, he was BALTIMORE'S OL coach from 2005 ( I think ) to 2007.... he's familiar with Pags

Pagano was the Raiders Secondary coach from 2005-2006 after that in 2007 he spent a year as North Carolinas D Coordinator. From all that I have read and am continuing to read neither he or Pagano have been on the same coaching staff ever, Pagano did not arrive in Baltimore until 2008. Foersters last year with Baltimore was 2007

Just now, Gavin said:

Pagano was the Raiders Secondary coach from 2005-2006 after that in 2007 he spent a year as North Carolinas D Coordinator. From all that I have read and am continuing to read neither he or Pagano have been on the same coaching staff ever, Pagano did not arrive in Baltimore until 2008. Foersters last year with Baltimore was 2007

Well there goes that theory!  lol

Chris Foerster was the OL coach for Baltimore in 2007 when Willis McGahee was top 5 in Rushing. He was also the OL coach in Washington when Alfred Morris was top 5 for 2 years in a row.

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results, but he might just be the OL coach we need!!

Whoever we get,  I'm hoping -- I mean, SERIOUSLY HOPING -- that we are switching to zone blocking and doing less man blocking.

Nothing would make me happier.     In fact,  it's number one on my wish list.   

Absolutely, positively, number one on my wish list.    I've been wanting this for years,  but I knew Pep was married to man blocking because that's what Stanford does.       That's fine at Stanford.    Less fine on the NFL level.

Hopefully, we'll know more this week......

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Whoever we get,  I'm hoping -- I mean, SERIOUSLY HOPING -- that we are switching to zone blocking and doing less man blocking.

Nothing would make me happier.     In fact,  it's number one on my wish list.   

Absolutely, positively, number one on my wish list.    I've been wanting this for years,  but I knew Pep was married to man blocking because that's what Stanford does.       That's fine at Stanford.    Less fine on the NFL level.

Hopefully, we'll know more this week......

Foerster is reportedly a hybrid guy who leans toward ZBS. So I'm a fan.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Foerster is reportedly a hybrid guy who leans toward ZBS. So I'm a fan.

I noticed his years with the Redskins and how they coincide with the couple of really good years for Alfred Morris.  

I believe the line got very good reviews in opening holes for a literal unknown running game to have a couple of very good years.     That looks good on a resume'....

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

he does have a really good track record with the 49ers. coached guys like joe staley alex boone mike upatui and anthony davis

I don't think most of those guys were there with Foerster...   he wasn't on the team when that group was there.

He was coaching other teams.      See Gavin's post with Foerster's Wiki page and the years he was with SF and they years he was elsewhere.

Not much overlap with those guys.

But he's still got a very nice resume'.

I think Zone Stretch is where we are headed. Foerster is probably who they will hire. If you type Rob Chudzinski Zone Running or Rob Chudzinski Zone Blocking Scheme in google almost all the info that comes up links Chud to the Zone Stretch blocking scheme. I know just about for certain its what they ran with Cam Newton

Just to follow up on what Supe said, Foerster is known for the ZBS and is who Mike Shanahan hired when he bought his Denver ZBS to the Redskins. I clearly remember the Ravens running ZBS when they had Mcgahee which Foerester was the OL coach. If this is where we are going im cool with it because to me it means we will also be a heavy play action team and every body knows i luv me some play action!

so i suck at evaluating OL and understanding some basic principles....does Mewhort fit as a Zone blocker? When i see him play i see he handles well going just ham on a dude but when having to pull it doesnt seem he is that natural...anyone who is good at this feel free to correct me or give any input?

thanks!

20 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

so i suck at evaluating OL and understanding some basic principles....does Mewhort fit as a Zone blocker? When i see him play i see he handles well going just ham on a dude but when having to pull it doesnt seem he is that natural...anyone who is good at this feel free to correct me or give any input?

thanks!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/27/4363750/zone-blocking-running-football-breakdown-highlights-analysis-diagram

All of our current starting O Linemen fit the scheme...I actually thought the only current starting O Lineman we have that fit the Man/Power Blocking scheme we used mostly was Thornton because of his ability to maul D Linemen(Which I don't think we see enough because of poor technique and slow hands and I think he was playing injured much of the year)

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2014/2/18/5394212/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-zone-blocking-scheme-tom-cable

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/27/4363750/zone-blocking-running-football-breakdown-highlights-analysis-diagram

All of our current starting O Linemen fit the scheme...I actually thought the only current starting O Lineman we have that fit the Man/Power Blocking scheme we used mostly was Thornton because of his ability to maul D Linemen(Which I don't think we see enough because of poor technique and slow hands and I think he was playing injured much of the year)

yea I liked Thornton because he seemed to be our only OL that could jsut maul people over with raw strength. Its a shame he never seems to get it together, I am of the bandwagon, he had his chances

4 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

yea I liked Thornton because he seemed to be our only OL that could jsut maul people over with raw strength. Its a shame he never seems to get it together, I am of the bandwagon, he had his chances

I still haven't quit on him yet(Because of his high potential). I think we need to draft someone to compete with him but I'd give him another year assuming he can keep his starting job over the potential draft pick

Just now, bababooey said:

I believe I read on this forum we have two OL coaches, one who had a contract expire and one who has a year left.

Sounds right, we likely are attempting to replace the expired one with Foerster then rather than attempting to negotiate a new deal with who we had. Seems legit.