Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interview with Ted monachino

CR91

2 minutes ago, cbear said:

Well, he certainly has the coach speak down!  :thmup:

yes he does lol.   I guess if I took anything away it was that he emphasized multiple times that he wants to find out what our guys are best at, build the scheme around that and put them in the positions to do what they're best at as much as possible. 

Like moving from Pep to Chud, it seems like the move from Manusky to Monachino will bring less complicated game plans/play books. I think both Pep and Manusky tended to overcomplicate on a regular basis, making players think instead of play, which was a contributing factor to playing inconsistent from quarter to quarter and game to game. 

27 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

yes he does lol.   I guess if I took anything away it was that he emphasized multiple times that he wants to find out what our guys are best at, build the scheme around that and put them in the positions to do what they're best at as much as possible. 

While it's just talk at this point, I would love to see that happen.  I think that's what successful coaches do; they adapt to their teams and the circumstances.  Belichick is well-known for being able to adapt to injuries and his team's talents and still have success.  Don't force a round peg into a square hole

34 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Yes, Jason_S. This is certainly the sign of a good HC much less our new DC's thoughts. Scheme is what this league is now all about. That's a good thing. A necessary thing. Glad to hear this from TM. 

58 minutes ago, cbear said:

Well, he certainly has the coach speak down!  :thmup:

I Can see the post game press...

"Excellent question! Well we just wanted to go out there and be

(insert generic coaches phrase)"

"we had a game plan to go out there and make good football.  We did that today, at the end of the day.  We did things we were supposed to and the things we didn't want to do we didn't.  Guys stepped up to keep chopping wood with their grit"

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That seems like an odd goal.  I want them to be able to attach the QB but I want them to be able to stop the run as well. :thmup:

Pagano/Manusky's former philosophy was that if you can run the ball and stop the run, you win games. Which isn't particularly true. Our main philosophy has to be getting to the quarterback. Provide as much pressure as possible to create turnovers or sacks.

8 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

I feel like that is what our coaching has been lacking - adjusting the scheme to fit the players. 

I felt the same way until this year, when they went with more of a 1 gap 34 defense after getting Langford, Anderson and Parry, instead of the 2 gap/hybrid they'd run in previous years.

22 minutes ago, MTC said:

Pagano/Manusky's former philosophy was that if you can run the ball and stop the run, you win games. Which isn't particularly true. Our main philosophy has to be getting to the quarterback. Provide as much pressure as possible to create turnovers or sacks.

I agree with you but I also believe Pagano's philosophy was to attack the QB differently cuasing confusion to the other teams OL. Manuskky IMO was far to often sometimes ALWAYS very Vanilla in his calls. At times to me other OL's seemed to be not confused at all almost always knowing were the Colts were coming from. My hope with a new coordinater is that changes!

Just now, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I agree with you but I also believe Pagano's philosophy was to attack the QB differently causing confusion to the other teams OL. Manuskky IMO was far to often sometimes ALWAYS very Vanilla in his calls. At times to me other OL's seemed to be not confused at all almost always knowing were the Colts were coming from. My hope with a new coordinater is that changes!

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I remember the old Dungy, Meeks philosophy of rush the passer on every play and tackle the runner on the way to the QB.  I hope we can do both.

Some things that drove me crazy with the D this year:

Couldn't get to the QB consistently

Bad tackling (In particular, the DBs tackling a guy high)

What seemed to be missed assignments in the secondary (guys wide open).

That being said, the run D did look better at times. But how many games did we see two run plays stuffed or even get a tackle behind the LOS, only to give up a 1st down on 3rd and forever? 

As far as the new DC, I like what he had to say and the philosophy of making things simple so guys can play fast.

I wonder if he can get through a press conference without saying; "Across the board". That would be different....hehehehe

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I agree with you but I also believe Pagano's philosophy was to attack the QB differently cuasing confusion to the other teams OL. Manuskky IMO was far to often sometimes ALWAYS very Vanilla in his calls. At times to me other OL's seemed to be not confused at all almost always knowing were the Colts were coming from. My hope with a new coordinater is that changes!

That was always my concern with Manusky and I guess Pagano if he was ok with it.  Baltimore had some of the most creative ways to get pressure on the QB.  I have yet to see that with this team.  They are totally predictable in their blitzes.

someone mentioned to me, "hey, instead of hiring guys from the enemy, the colts ought to hire rick venturi as their D-coordinator, haven't you heard how smart he is (on the radio)?"  ----  I bit my tongue.   He coached Northwestern to a whopping 1 win in 3 seasons at Northwestern. And through years and years of NFL responsibilities constantly had defenses that ranked (in pretty much all categories) mid-twenties, yipes.  I like his commentary on the DD radio show like the next guy, but it's hard to believe with all his knowledge and mentors, that he couldn't pull it together.  Plus, he's like 70 years old.  New guy is 49, we'll take him!!

1 hour ago, cbear said:

That was always my concern with Manusky and I guess Pagano if he was ok with it.  Baltimore had some of the most creative ways to get pressure on the QB.  I have yet to see that with this team.  They are totally predictable in their blitzes.

From that interview it seems like that will change. I'm so glad to hear that.

1 hour ago, Shepman said:

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned how he planned to use Mathis and hopes he goes out on top.  I believe he is a free agent this year but maybe I am mistaken?

Mathis is not a free agent but is expensive to keep (which I think they will).

2 hours ago, cbear said:

I don't think Pagano was Ok with it or Manskey would not be gone. Honestly I saw Chuck look at Manskey on the sidelines often this year in angry or disbelief. Some people in the heat of battle can't change I guess?

18 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That seems like an odd goal.  I want them to be able to attach the QB but I want them to be able to stop the run as well. :thmup:

Kind of dead in the water if you can`t play good run defense. Gee wizz.
 And the same with pressuring the QB.

17 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Some things that drove me crazy with the D this year:

Couldn't get to the QB consistently

Bad tackling (In particular, the DBs tackling a guy high)

What seemed to be missed assignments in the secondary (guys wide open).

That being said, the run D did look better at times. But how many games did we see two run plays stuffed or even get a tackle behind the LOS, only to give up a 1st down on 3rd and forever? 

As far as the new DC, I like what he had to say and the philosophy of making things simple so guys can play fast.

I wonder if he can get through a press conference without saying; "Across the board". That would be different....hehehehe

We had outside and inside linebackers that were below acceptable in pass coverage, and then Toler, and Butler gave up his share too!.
  How do you have a good defense with that recipe? Of course you can`t.
 Grigson has certainly failed the D. So we have a couple years ahead getting new, faster, better players.
 And they will need experience together. lol

10 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I'd like to know who the "couple young pass rushers" are he mentioned. He must be talking about the D-line because he definitely couldn't have been talking about any of our OLBs.

well heres hoping he can help newsome and werner. some times it takes a new scheme to give a player new life jerry hughes for example

20 hours ago, Jason_S said:

The sign of a great coach ... Scheming to best take advantage of what you HAVE, instead of trying to plug square pegs into round holes.   Like you, I came away with the same thought.  Very exciting stuff!

6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The sign of a great coach ... Scheming to best take advantage of what you HAVE, instead of trying to plug square pegs into round holes.   Like you, I came away with the same thought.  Very exciting stuff!

Agreed! Hopefully he plans on utilizing Sio more(no pun intended) than the Manusky did?

23 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Agreed! Hopefully he plans on utilizing Sio more(no pun intended) than the Manusky did?

I find it real weird that Moore was inactive for the last game against the Titans. If he wasn't injured I can't see why they would not have gotten a good look at him. I sort of wonder how high they are on him?

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I find it real weird that Moore was inactive for the last game against the Titans. If he wasn't injured I can't see why they would not have gotten a good look at him. I sort of wonder how high they are on him?

The small sample size I saw of Sio I liked and feel he was underused by Manusky? I liked his pass rush ability and wonder if moving him outside may be a better fit moving forward? 

4 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The small sample size I saw of Sio I liked and feel he was underused by Manusky? I liked his pass rush ability and wonder if moving him outside may be a better fit moving forward? 

Yes.  We didn't see much but I liked what we did see.   I liked what we saw from Nate Irving, also.  Maybe we'll see more of them in the new D.

3 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I like him too. I just find it weird they had him inactive. Plus the deal again Jville where Mcnary starts over him for the 2nd time. And this was with Freeman and Irving out. They only allowed him to play a little bit of goal line. I just wonder what the real issue is? It doesn't seem to be that promising but I just don't have enough info.

On 1/9/2016 at 6:34 PM, fatboy said:

Mathis is not a free agent but is expensive to keep (which I think they will).

I think it's worth it to keep Mathis -- he had 7 sacks in a year where he was still re-acclimating to the game.  He seemed to get stronger/better and back to his old self as the season went on.  He came up with a few very big plays for us later in the season.  I think with another off-season to finish his rehab and get back, he'll come in hungry and ready to put up double digit sacks next year.  Plus Mathis is  real leader, and his presence alone will be helpful as we adjust to a new coordinator and (hopefully) see multiple new players.

On 1/9/2016 at 11:09 PM, jchandler7 said:

I'd like to know who the "couple young pass rushers" are he mentioned. He must be talking about the D-line because he definitely couldn't have been talking about any of our OLBs.

On 1/9/2016 at 9:32 AM, CR91 said:

well heres hoping he can help newsome and werner. some times it takes a new scheme to give a player new life jerry hughes for example

Newsome seemed to show a lot of promise as a rookie and then seemed to regress last year.  I can't tell if he bulked up and lost a step, or if the slight changes in scheme affected him, or it may just be a 2nd year slump (which is really not all that uncommon in the NFL). 

I'm hoping we move on from Werner.  I think he's OK against the run, but just doesn't seem to show the speed/burst/agility/hustle to become a good pass-rusher in this league. 

As far as 'young passrushers' on this team -- Newsome and Sio Moore are the only ones I can really think of in the LB corps.  Then, as you point out, it looks like we have a few promising pieces on the DL.

I'm not sure what will happen with Geathers next year (if we keep Lowery/Adams -- I'm not sure if Geathers will continue to be used as somewhat of a hybrid LB/S -- but I imagine he could become a pass-rushing force if they are playing him in an LB type role).

Otherwise, there is quite a bit of talent at OLB/ILB/DE in free agency and with picks near the middle of the first 5 rounds, we should be able to acquire some talent to help the pass rush (and hopefully secondary and OL) through the draft.

If Art Jones and Henry Anderson return fully healthy, we're really only a couple of pieces away (upgrade #2 CB, and a LB or 2) from being able to have a very good D.

Finally, what I think people tend to forget is how much the D compliments eachother (i.e., a good pass rush improves secondary play, and good secondary play can benefit pass rush) and perhaps even more so, how much a good offense can help the D.  If Andrew is healthy, and if Chud can figure out a way for this team to come out firing and put points on the board, it should be hugely beneficial to our D by allowing them to focus on hitting the QB.  Our offense this past season wasn't scary, and that allows opposing offenses to be multi-dimensional -- if we can put points up like we should be capable of, it should force other teams to rely heavily on a passing attack.