Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Andrew Luck Didn't Say

Um OK Ryan Leaf was insane. Jamarcuss Russel was lazy and had mental problems. Leinart was never given a chance to succeed with the horrible coaching staff he had in Arizona.

So your logic is that because a player is projected to be good that automatically means he's going to be a bust?

If that's the case I guess we should take Kellen Moore #1 overall.

Your last sentence makes absolutely now sense when compared to your firts 3 sentences...

Your last sentence makes absolutely now sense when compared to your firts 3 sentences...

I meant it as how if a player is projected to be good he will fail and switched it around so that it makes the opposite true which in this case would be a lowly projected player going on to be success.

I'm not reading much into that interview at all. Andrew luck just played a very emotional game(his last college game) he played extremely well lost in heartbreaking fashion. He prob had several diff emotions going on and just wanted to get the interview over. If he has to sit a year or two he will.

Of course rg3 is going to say he is willing to sit behind manning he needs to say all the right things now to try and become that number 1 pick.

Colts aren't trading pick in my opinion and they are taking luck.

They are cleaning house Ryan is bringing people in that he wants and they are going to have to build this team to best the texans.

The texans are prob the most compete team in the nfl when healthy. We need to rebuild, change philosophy to get big run stopping d players in here and become a good defensive team while also stayingg the offense powerhouse we are use to. Getting luck is a good step in the right direction to secure the qb position in Indy. Then we just build through the draft and FA these next couple years. I think we will see the best colts team we have seen (most complete on defense and offense) in a long time. I think Irsay, Grigson learned a lot from the manning era. You can have the goat at qb but if you don't put a complete team on the field you won't compete well in the playoffs.

I am very excited for the future with all new coaches and assistants.

I'm not reading much into that interview at all. Andrew luck just played a very emotional game(his last college game) he played extremely well lost in heartbreaking fashion. He prob had several diff emotions going on and just wanted to get the interview over. If he has to sit a year or two he will.

Of course rg3 is going to say he is willing to sit behind manning he needs to say all the right things now to try and become that number 1 pick.

Colts aren't trading pick in my opinion and they are taking luck.

They are cleaning house Ryan is bringing people in that he wants and they are going to have to build this team to best the texans.

The texans are prob the most compete team in the nfl when healthy. We need to rebuild, change philosophy to get big run stopping d players in here and become a good defensive team while also stayingg the offense powerhouse we are use to. Getting luck is a good step in the right direction to secure the qb position in Indy. Then we just build through the draft and FA these next couple years. I think we will see the best colts team we have seen (most complete on defense and offense) in a long time. I think Irsay, Grigson learned a lot from the manning era. You can have the goat at qb but if you don't put a complete team on the field you won't compete well in the playoffs.

I am very excited for the future with all new coaches and assistants.

Sorry, it's just not that easy to build the "best colts team we have seen (most complete on defense and offense)." If it was as easy to build through the draft and free agency as you say, then every team would do it...

RG3 is trying to be the #1 draft pick. That's what these guys do every year and because RG3 is the 2nd highest ranked QB in the draft, he knows his stock will rise to at least the #2 position if not #1, ala Cam Newton. His combine or pro day is probably going to be out of this world with his athletic ability, so I expect to hear even more as the draft gets nearer about how the Colts are torn between the 2. Btw, I am for picking Luck.

thank you people need to stop the trade down talks too its ridiculous

i love peyton but at most he will play for 3 yrs luck can start another dynasty RG3 is good but honestly is he peyton good no luck good no

so stop with the trading down there isnt really a good deal out there

thank you people need to stop the trade down talks too its ridiculous

i love peyton but at most he will play for 3 yrs luck can start another dynasty RG3 is good but honestly is he peyton good no luck good no

so stop with the trading down there isnt really a good deal out there

Robert Griffin III is a heisman trophy winner. And trading down is the most logical way to go.

Robert Griffin III is a heisman trophy winner. And trading down is the most logical way to go.

In your opinion.

To other the most logical way to go is cutting Peyton Manning and starting over with the best QB on the board who most feel is Andrew Luck.

Others think the most logical thing to do is keep Peyton Mannng and draft Andrew Luck to set themselves up for the future.

Some would argue you just take RGIII number one overall because he's better.

All have valid points which means none are the most "logical" thing to do. It's matter of which option you pick. All have up points and all have down points.

In the draft, I believe you take the best player available. If pick doesn't get traded, you pick Luck. Teams aren't in the position to pick a possible franchise QB very often, with Manning's health questions and age, you have to pull the trigger.

Eric Crouch won the Heisman as well, so winning the Heisman does not magically make you a pro player. I am not comparing RG3 to Crouch because god knows RG3 is leaps and bounds better, but just saying he is was the Heisman winner so we should go get him is not the reason you should draft him.

To the OP point how can you judge a kids reaction after a hard fought game where he gets a mic stuffed in his face?

I am glad the Luck does not want to sit for years. It shows he is competitive and wants to play and get out there. If he turns out to be as good as he is projected to be do we really want to sit that talent 2-3 years?

Sorry, it's just not that easy to build the "best colts team we have seen (most complete on defense and offense)." If it was as easy to build through the draft and free agency as you say, then every team would do it...

Every team builds through the draft and free agency lmao. What other options are there? Clones?

This is funny. We certainly have a lot of GM's on this board. Here's hoping this is one time Irsay doesn't listen to the fans and draft differently just to go against the grain.

GM's??? We are just giving opinions on a colts forum. That's the whole purpose of this website.

In your opinion.

To other the most logical way to go is cutting Peyton Manning and starting over with the best QB on the board who most feel is Andrew Luck.

Others think the most logical thing to do is keep Peyton Mannng and draft Andrew Luck to set themselves up for the future.

Some would argue you just take RGIII number one overall because he's better.

All have valid points which means none are the most "logical" thing to do. It's matter of which option you pick. All have up points and all have down points.

If I could get Spock to comment on this, then he would say that trading down and keeping Peyton Manning is the most logical thing to do. I don't want to list eveything that makes it logical, but if you look at contracts, players, time periods, and whatsoever, trading down and keeping Peyton Maning is the most logical form of action.

Eric Crouch won the Heisman as well, so winning the Heisman does not magically make you a pro player. I am not comparing RG3 to Crouch because god knows RG3 is leaps and bounds better, but just saying he is was the Heisman winner so we should go get him is not the reason you should draft him.

To the OP point how can you judge a kids reaction after a hard fought game where he gets a mic stuffed in his face?

I am glad the Luck does not want to sit for years. It shows he is competitive and wants to play and get out there. If he turns out to be as good as he is projected to be do we really want to sit that talent 2-3 years?

Sooo... where did I say that we should draft Robert Giffin III?

If I could get Spock to comment on this, then he would say that trading down and keeping Peyton Manning is the most logical thing to do. I don't want to list eveything that makes it logical, but if you look at contracts, players, time periods, and whatsoever, trading down and keeping Peyton Maning is the most logical form of action.

I highly doubt it. Honestly if you listen to the people who get paid to cover this stuff and who have been around this stuff they seem to think the most logical thing to do is to cut Peyton Manning and go with Andrew Luck or RGIII since the rest of the team is rebuilding and a 36 year old QB doesn't fit the the mood the rest of the team is in.

With that said, I go back to what I said to you the first time you can make very logical arguements for that theory, your theory, and the theory of keeping both. The only theory you can't make a logical arguement for is paying Peyton Manning his bonus and then trading him which is why it's dismissed.

I understand your theory and there is a good arguement to be made for it. There are also good arguements to be made for the others.

Also despite the logic you have behind your theory and you do have good logic it doesn't look like it's going to happen. The one thing that seems set in stone coming out of Colts camp is that they aren't going to trade the pick. Followed up most recently by Irsay saying you can't pass on taking Luck or RGIII with the top pick. Say what you will about Irsay but he's pretty honest and has been quick to shoot things down when they aren't true and he hasn't shot down anyone saying they aren't going to trade the pick. That leads most to think they aren't going to trade the pick.

I highly doubt it. Honestly if you listen to the people who get paid to cover this stuff and who have been around this stuff they seem to think the most logical thing to do is to cut Peyton Manning and go with Andrew Luck or RGIII since the rest of the team is rebuilding and a 36 year old QB doesn't fit the the mood the rest of the team is in.

With that said, I go back to what I said to you the first time you can make very logical arguements for that theory, your theory, and the theory of keeping both. The only theory you can't make a logical arguement for is paying Peyton Manning his bonus and then trading him which is why it's dismissed.

I understand your theory and there is a good arguement to be made for it. There are also good arguements to be made for the others.

Also despite the logic you have behind your theory and you do have good logic it doesn't look like it's going to happen. The one thing that seems set in stone coming out of Colts camp is that they aren't going to trade the pick. Followed up most recently by Irsay saying you can't pass on taking Luck or RGIII with the top pick. Say what you will about Irsay but he's pretty honest and has been quick to shoot things down when they aren't true and he hasn't shot down anyone saying they aren't going to trade the pick. That leads most to think they aren't going to trade the pick.

Remember the time Jim Irsay was defending Bill Polian on twitter and calling him a hall of famer? I don't exactly believe what everyone says, people say this, they say that, and they change their minds.

Um OK Ryan Leaf was insane. Jamarcuss Russel was lazy and had mental problems. Leinart was never given a chance to succeed with the horrible coaching staff he had in Arizona.

So your logic is that because a player is projected to be good that automatically means he's going to be a bust?

If that's the case I guess we should take Kellen Moore #1 overall.

Whats wrong with Kellen Moore? Is it a small college thing? I think several other "BIG" colleges would disagree with your quick "JAB" of Kellen Moore.

I will live with whom ever the Colts decide to lead this franchise but guys this is like a lottery ticket, everyone wants that one ticket that is a gauranteed winner but none actually exsists there are no gaurantees. The fact is we do not know a thing (and neither does Irsay or Grigson) about either one of them. Yeah! They can play, but can they transition? You have a alot of variables and some cannot possibly be measured.

Luck could easily be a bust and so could RG3, heck they both may not be worth the ground they are standing on in the pro game. Hype is Hype, and that is all it is. College success does not always lead to pro success (check the garbage pile of quarterbacks through history).

Kellen Moore could be the savior of a franchise or Rex Grosman, RG3 could play the role of Vince Young or Steve Young and Luck could play the role of Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning, we simply do not know. All I know is there was no "HYPE" around a lot of Hall of Fame quarterbacks, and one of them happens to reside in New England (6th round pick) and was sitting on the bench behind who? "Drew Bledsoe".

My point being, anyone can be a bust and anyone can be a savior do not count anyone any higher or lower because of the hype that surrounds them.

Whats wrong with Kellen Moore? Is it a small college thing? I think several other "BIG" colleges would disagree with your quick "JAB" of Kellen Moore.

I will live with whom ever the Colts decide to lead this franchise but guys this is like a lottery ticket, everyone wants that one ticket that is a gauranteed winner but none actually exsists there are no gaurantees. The fact is we do not know a thing (and neither does Irsay or Grigson) about either one of them. Yeah! They can play, but can they transition? You have a alot of variables and some cannot possibly be measured.

Luck could easily be a bust and so could RG3, heck they both may not be worth the ground they are standing on in the pro game. Hype is Hype, and that is all it is. College success does not always lead to pro success (check the garbage pile of quarterbacks through history).

Kellen Moore could be the savior of a franchise or Rex Grosman, RG3 could play the role of Vince Young or Steve Young and Luck could play the role of Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning, we simply do not know. All I know is there was no "HYPE" around a lot of Hall of Fame quarterbacks, and one of them happens to reside in New England (6th round pick) and was sitting on the bench behind who? "Drew Bledsoe".

My point being, anyone can be a bust and anyone can be a savior do not count anyone any higher or lower because of the hype that surrounds them.

You do realize there is merit to his hype right? He's not being hyped just to be hyped. He is ranked by some scouts as the 2nd or 3rd highest QB they have ever scouted. He has all of the intangibles and his mechanics are perfect. There's no flaw to his game.

I'm not taking shots at Moore because he's from a small school. I'm taking shots at him because of his mediocre arm strength, being jittery in the pocket and the fact that he's tiny.

By you're posts I assume that you are a "trade the pick" person? What if we trade the pick and then all the players we get bust? You can look at it either way.

Even though there is no "sure thing" in the Draft, Luck is the closest you will ever come to.

The guy almost screams "bust" if you ask me! Not because of anything really wrong with him or because of how I expect him to play. Rather it is because of the ridiculous amount of hype he is getting. No player could ever hope to live up to it. When you add it to the pressure of replacing a great player he is going to have an unbelievable weight on his shoulders from the first day of training camp and I expect things to go wrong as a result. The frustration of sitting behind that great player will only make things worse.

You do realize there is merit to his hype right? He's not being hyped just to be hyped. He is ranked by some scouts as the 2nd or 3rd highest QB they have ever scouted. He has all of the intangibles and his mechanics are perfect. There's no flaw to his game.

I'm not taking shots at Moore because he's from a small school. I'm taking shots at him because of his mediocre arm strength, being jittery in the pocket and the fact that he's tiny.

By you're posts I assume that you are a "trade the pick" person? What if we trade the pick and then all the players we get bust? You can look at it either way.

Even though there is no "sure thing" in the Draft, Luck is the closest you will ever come to.

I am by no means saying trade the pick. I think we need to take a quarterback but hype is hype, just ask San Diego. Ryan Leaf was hyped as the second coming as well, and they questioned Mannings arm strength as well as his abilities to win in the big spot light.

By the way how many big games has Andrew luck won while in the Pac 10,12,14 or whatever they call it these days? All I am saying is do not buy into everything you hear. There have been alot of talented player drafted in the NFL that the scouts deemed worthy, that are now in a segment of where are they now.

It will not matter anyway once we hire Mr. Sweater Vest as head coach.

I am by no means saying trade the pick. I think we need to take a quarterback but hype is hype, just ask San Diego. Ryan Leaf was hyped as the second coming as well, and they questioned Mannings arm strength as well as his abilities to win in the big spot light.

By the way how many big games has Andrew luck won while in the Pac 10,12 or 14 or whatever they call it these days? All I am saying is do not buy into everything you hear. There has been alot of talent drafted in the NFL that the scouts deemed worthy, that are now in a segment of where are they now.

It will not matter anyway once we hire Tressell as head coach.

Well, he did everything to win the Fiesta Bowl but the Stanford kicker missed 3 chip shots. 1 in the 1st Quarter, 1 at the end of Regulation, and 1 in overtime.

The guy almost screams "bust" if you ask me! Not because of anything really wrong with him or because of how I expect him to play. Rather it is because of the ridiculous amount of hype he is getting. No player could ever hope to live up to it. When you add it to the pressure of replacing a great player he is going to have an unbelievable weight on his shoulders from the first day of training camp and I expect things to go wrong as a result. The frustration of sitting behind that great player will only make things worse.

Luck survived the pressure and the hype all this past season after he decided to return to school. For most of the season, he was the front-runner to be the Heisman trophy winner. He led a Stanford Cardinal team that was BCS ranked in the pre-season as #7 to the final season (after bowl game) BCS ranking of #7. I think he can handle the pressure and the expectations, however reasonable or unreasonable they may be, from looking at how he has handled such pressure last season.

Yes, there have been busts in the NFL draft of first round QBs. However, you also have to look at the other side of the coin. Reviewing history, and all the 45 SB winning teams to date, I noticed the majority of them (24) were led by a QB drafted in the 1st round. This year, if the 49ers, Giants or Ravens win, that percentage increases. Looking at the playoff teams that were eliminated this year, Packers, Falcons, Steelers, Broncos, and Lions also were led by 1st round QBs. The three other teams eliminated were the Saints (Brees, the 32nd overall pick, or 1st pick in the 2nd round), the Texans (TJ Yates, 5th round pick, subbing for Schaub, 3rd round pick), and the Bengals (Dalton, the 3rd pick in the 2nd round).

Overall, from reviewing history, I find the bust rate for 1st round QBs tend to be about 33%, which I suspect is much lower than QBs picked in later rounds.

By the way how many big games has Andrew luck won while in the Pac 10,12,14 or whatever they call it these days? All I am saying is do not buy into everything you hear. There have been alot of talented player drafted in the NFL that the scouts deemed worthy, that are now in a segment of where are they now.

Andrew Luck's record was 31-7 (W-L) at Stanford. He started every game in the 2009, 2010, 2011 season except for the bowl game in 2009 where he did not play (broken finger).

Stanford plays in the Pac-12 conference.

By entering the 2012 draft, he forfeited his 4th year of eligibility. Academically, he is a senior, scheduled to graduate this spring. From a college football eligibility perspective, he is a RS junior.

Well, he did everything to win the Fiesta Bowl but the Stanford kicker missed 3 chip shots. 1 in the 1st Quarter, 1 at the end of Regulation, and 1 in overtime.

They were not chip shots at all. A 41 yarder, a 35 yarder, and a 43 yarder? A lot of colleges don't have kickers who would make all of those field goals.