Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griffin Says He Would Gladly Sit Behind Manning

Just saw on ESPN First Take where RG3 would asked if he would be comfortable sitting behind Peyton Manning for a while if drafted by Indianapolis. He said he would do it gladly because of his respect and admiration for Manning and that he didn't want to be the guy that sent Peyton packing. He also said Manning should be allowed to play as long as he wants in Indy.

Sounds like a more humble guy and someone who is more willing to sit and learn than Andrew Luck to me.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw on ESPN First Take where RG3 would asked if he would be comfortable sitting behind Peyton Manning for a while if drafted by Indianapolis. He said he would do it gladly because of his respect and admiration for Manning and that he didn't want to be the guy that sent Peyton packing. He also said Manning should be allowed to play as long as he wants in Indy.

Sounds like a more humble guy and someone who is more willing to sit and learn than Andrew Luck to me.

RG3....is a late bloomer..and hasnt been told for years he should starts form day one....

RG3's dad isnt an ex-NFL quarterback.,..

RG3 would pay US to come to Indy and sit behind Peyton Manning for 4 years...

..and Ky.....thank you for posting this. The comments RG3 made here are things I wish Andrew Luck would say.

It would make our choice to draft him much easier

People are assuming tht Luck will be the first overall pick in the draft. RGIII no doubt is aware of this. Since the Colts have the first overall pick, if RGIII has any shot of being the #1 pick in the draft, he has to say things that would please the Colts. He's playing his cards right.

People are assuming tht Luck will be the first overall pick in the draft. RGIII no doubt is aware of this. Since the Colts have the first overall pick, if RGIII has any shot of being the #1 pick in the draft, he has to say things that would please the Colts. He's playing his cards right.

RG3 could be the top draft choice of the Colts if they trade the No1. pick to Clevaland for their 2 No.1s...

If Ryan Grigson wants RG3....he can get him AND another No.1 (and maybe an extra No.2)

RG3 wont be the Number oen overall pick,,,but I agree with the sentiment behind these comments..

RG3 wants to come to play indoors for a powerhouse with a full set of experienced recivers..

he may sit 4 years..but even if he does..he would then be a high-priced free agent/

RG3 also knows he has much to learn about playing pro QB

RG3 could be the top draft choice of the Colts if they trade the No1. pick to Clevaland for their 2 No.1s...

If Ryan Grigson wants RG3....he can get him AND another No.1 (and maybe an extra No.2)

RG3 wont be the Number oen overall pick,,,but I agree with the sentiment behind these comments..

RG3 wants to come to play indoors for a powerhouse with a full set of experienced recivers..

he may sit 4 years..but even if he does..he would then be a high-priced free agent/

Im all for trading down to take RG3 but trading down with Cleveland to #4 to take him is a huge risk. Both the Rams and the Vikings dont need a QB and im guessing would entertain offers from other teams for their picks.

Ironically, RGIII would be a better fit for Cleveland's system than he would be for the Colts. They use many roll outs for their QB's because they had worked with McCoy and Wallace. Cleveland may actually want to stay in their 4th spot and draft RGIII.

Ironically, RGIII would be a better fit for Cleveland's system than he would be for the Colts. They use many roll outs for their QB's because they had worked with McCoy and Wallace. Cleveland may actually want to stay in their 4th spot and draft RGIII.

cant argue..he's a natural for them..

..but from his standpoint..outdoors..Cleveland = pain

..indoors..Indy....+ playoffs

Thats because there is no better situation for RG3 to come to Indy. He is definitely a talented, athletic quarter back with a strong arm. But he has some refining that needs to be done. There is no situation better for him than to come to indy, learn from peyton for 2-4 years and then start.

If he goes somewhere like seattle, washinton, cleveland, or miami i would expect him to never reach his potential. Just like aaron rodgers wouldnt have ever even dreamed of being this good if he had started in GB from day 1.

Thats because there is no better situation for RG3 to come to Indy. He is definitely a talented, athletic quarter back with a strong arm. But he has some refining that needs to be done. There is no situation better for him than to come to indy, learn from peyton for 2-4 years and then start.

If he goes somewhere like seattle, washinton, cleveland, or miami i would expect him to never reach his potential. Just like aaron rodgers wouldnt have ever even dreamed of being this good if he had started in GB from day 1.

If he went to 'Manning school" for 4 years..

taking over with players he knew...playing most of his games indoors on a fast track...

....he'd still have Garcon, Collie and (By that time) two-time 1,000-yard rusher Donald Brown..

...He would put on a show

I hadn't heard Andrew Luck comment on the matter. What did he say?

His exact words following the Fiesta Bowl, when asked about the prospect of sitting behind Peyton Manning:

"If that's how it is, such is life...."

taking over with players he knew...playing most of his games indoors on a fast track...

....he'd still have Garcon, Collie and (By that time) two-time 1,000-yard rusher Donald Brown..

I agree with pretty much everything you've said in this thread, oldunclemark. Some people aren't open-minded to this prospect, however.

RGIII isn't just saying the right things, but I would wager he's out to prove his legitimacy at the combine and Pro Days.

agreed. what you said was basically my point.

Griffin has never taken a snap under center. Yikes.

If we draft this guy, I'll choke. My crystal ball says 15 years of 6-10 futility. The scrambling QB works for a year until NFL DC's get a year or more of film study on the QB. Griffin is undersized. World class athelete, great arm, incredible young man - smart, military family. Just the type of player I'd love to see in blue, just NEVER at QB. This is so much clearer (Luck v. Griffin) than Manning v. Leaf.

Someone point out an article that says Luck said he wouldn't sit behind Manning or he don't think Manning should be able to finish his career here.

Whats that? Nobody has one! Imagine that.

Some of the RG3 lovers will be very disappointed if he wound up here. The guy has never read defenses and that is something that is very critical to the Colts offense. As the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for".

Someone point out an article that says Luck said he wouldn't sit behind Manning or he don't think Manning should be able to finish his career here.

Some of the RG3 lovers will be very disappointed if he wound up here. The guy has never read defenses and that is something that is very critical to the Colts offense. As the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for".

He'd have time to develop. And what better way to learn to read defenses than sit behind and learn from the greatest ever at it.

He'd have time to develop. And what better way to learn to read defenses than sit behind and learn from the greatest ever at it.

I would much rather have the guy thats been doing it for several yrs. in college. People say they don't like the hype around Luck, but no other QB in recent yrs. has benefited more from the ridiculous hype that has surrounded RG3 in the last month. Im not worried about it though, because any professional football guy worth his weight is going to take Luck over RG3.

I would much rather have the guy thats been doing it for several yrs. in college. People say they don't like the hype around Luck, but no other QB in recent yrs. has benefited more from the ridiculous hype that has surrounded RG3 in the last month. Im not worried about it though, because any professional football guy worth his weight is going to take Luck over RG3.

That is probably true and it is probably the right idea, but I would take RG3. You don't have to agree.

And if Luck turns out to be better than RG3 (which there is obviously a great chance of) than I will gladly eat crow.

And if Luck turns out to be better than RG3 (which there is obviously a great chance of) than I will gladly eat crow.

For the record, Im not saying RG3 won't be a good QB in the future, I just don't really believe he is the right fit for the Colts. I do have serious concerns that he's in for a rude awaking in the NFL and the fact that he's kind of small because I don't believe for a second that he's actually 6'2" 220lbs like they have him listed at.

For the record, Im not saying RG3 won't be a good QB in the future, I just don't really believe he is the right fit for the Colts. I do have serious concerns that he's in for a rude awaking in the NFL and the fact that he's kind of small because I don't believe for a second that he's actually 6'2" 220lbs like they have him listed at.

I can understand the concern about him taking hits, but I would really worry about him getting hit to much in the pocket. He has a fairly quick release.

The only problem I see other than durability is the fact that he at some points will pull the ball down a little early, but like I said before, this is the sort of problem that can be tweaked.

I just think that RG3 has much more upside than Luck does who, I believe, has reached his reached his ceiling.

And my post was sort of taken out of context. If i was building a franchise around a guy than I would without a doubt take Luck. But, for our current situation I think that having RG3 sit for a few years behind Peyton would be beneficial in the long run.

I have told you this before and either you missed it or ignored it. If the Colts want Griffin, they have to take him at # 1. There is no chance the Colts can trade with Cleveland, get their # 4 selection, and take RG3. There are too many QB needy teams that can get to the 2nd or 3rd pick in front of the Colts if they were at # 4.

The odds are very strong that Griffin is taken at # 2.

RG3 has shown me nothing - if we draft him Ill start cheering for the Bears again.

Then you have not truly watched.

So let me understand, your favorite team is the Colts, right? If they do their homework and determine that RG3 is the best thing for the franchise, that move alone will cause you change the team you cheer for. Interesting.

If the team deems RGIII to be the right one ala Cam Newton after putting a lot of thought to it, so be it. But, if they deem Luck to be the right choice, going RGIII over Luck just based on RGIII's willingness to sit behind Peyton would not be a wise way to start a new regime as GM. Besides, if a player picked that high in round 1 (say top 5) does not want to play within a year badly and is content to sit behind another QB, no matter who that QB is, would you want him as a QB leading your team in the future? A valid question to ask, IMO. We all did love it when we found out that Manning threw down the gauntlet in 1998 and told Irsay/Polian that he would kick our butts for the next 15 years if we didn't draft him, didn't we? I wouldn't expect anything less from our future franchise QB either.

Aaron Rodgers was never in the same boat as Luck or even RGIII given where he was picked and his leverage was nowhere near, so I don't want to hear Aaron Rodgers comparisons, please.

Then you have not truly watched.

True enough - I actually only seen his bowl game this year and I did not think he looked that good in that game. It was a game of zero defense and the running game dominated - not RG3 either running or passing. As far as when he was putting up numbers, I was not at all impressed by him racking up those stats against mediocre teams in the big12 this season and to be frank until this year I had never heard of the guy before.

I have told you this before and either you missed it or ignored it. If the Colts want Griffin, they have to take him at # 1. There is no chance the Colts can trade with Cleveland, get their # 4 selection, and take RG3. There are too many QB needy teams that can get to the 2nd or 3rd pick in front of the Colts if they were at # 4.

The odds are very strong that Griffin is taken at # 2.

But 'J' your logic seems badly flawed..

....explain to me why the Rams..who need a big time receiver..arent gojng to take Blackmon at No .2?

The Rams will not take RG3 or any QB as they have $50,000,000 invested in their present QB, right?

Why would they trade if they feel a game-breaker is there?

..and the Vikings like their rookie QB..they need to protect him..Kahli-OL (USC) right?

..The Vikings taking a project like RG3 is wasting the pick. they have young, atheltic QBs

True they might trade....but RG3 isnt the No. 3 overall prospect.

Someopne trading with the Vikes for the No.3 pick,...isnt trading for a QB..unless its Luck

If Indy didnt take Luck..that's different because Luck is shovel-ready for the NFL, or so they say...

But everyone knows RG3 is a project...RG3 cannot (or should not) start the first game if the 2012 season. he isnt ready for that.

Conclusion: There is NO WAY RG3 is taken before the 4th pick.....so if the Colts want RG3 to back up Manning. they should trade the No.1 pick for picks #4, #26 and #37, which belong to the Browns.

If the Colts want Andrew Luck (If Manning has a physical setback) take Luck and look for DB help in the second round

Griffin has never taken a snap under center. Yikes.

If we draft this guy, I'll choke. My crystal ball says 15 years of 6-10 futility. The scrambling QB works for a year until NFL DC's get a year or more of film study on the QB. Griffin is undersized. World class athelete, great arm, incredible young man - smart, military family. Just the type of player I'd love to see in blue, just NEVER at QB. This is so much clearer (Luck v. Griffin) than Manning v. Leaf.

He has taken snaps under center. In the bowl game on several occasions he went under center, dropped back, hit his mark, immediately released the ball with accuracy for completions. He is much better than many Indy fans are giving him credit. Colts need a big, fast receiver in any case. RGIII throws an excellent deep ball.

True enough - I actually only seen his bowl game this year and I did not think he looked that good in that game. It was a game of zero defense and the running game dominated - not RG3 either running or passing. As far as when he was putting up numbers, I was not at all impressed by him racking up those stats against mediocre teams in the big12 this season and to be frank until this year I had never heard of the guy before.

So you admit to making a statement that was really pretty well uninformed.

The larger issue is why the taking RG3 would cause you to jump teams. That is either high comedy or a statement on your fandom - actually it is probably both.

But 'J' your logic seems badly flawed..

....explain to me why the Rams..who need a big time receiver..arent gojng to take Blackmon at No .2?

The Rams will not take RG3 or any QB as they have $50,000,000 invested in their present QB, right?

Why would they trade if they feel a game-breaker is there?

..and the Vikings like their rookie QB..they need to protect him..Kahli-OL (USC) right?

..The Vikings taking a project like RG3 is wasting the pick. they have young, atheltic QBs

True they might trade....but RG3 isnt the No. 3 overall prospect.

Someopne trading with the Vikes for the No.3 pick,...isnt trading for a QB..unless its Luck

If Indy didnt take Luck..that's different because Luck is shovel-ready for the NFL, or so they say...

But everyone knows RG3 is a project...RG3 cannot (or should not) start the first game if the 2012 season. he isnt ready for that.

Conclusion: There is NO WAY RG3 is taken before the 4th pick.....so if the Colts want RG3 to back up Manning. they should trade the No.1 pick for picks #4, #26 and #37, which belong to the Browns.

If the Colts want Andrew Luck (If Manning has a physical setback) take Luck and look for DB help in the second round

A general understanding of how the draft works is how I know Blackmon won't be selected at # 2. QB's are king.

There will be several teams who need a QB and would love to get RG3. To do that, the most obvious trading partner is St. Louis. That # 2 selection will be highly coveted. Why would the Rams take a guy they can get at # 4 with the 2nd pick and get additional picks to boot?

A general understanding of how the draft works is how I know Blackmon won't be selected at # 2. QB's are king.

There will be several teams who need a QB and would love to get RG3. To do that, the most obvious trading partner is St. Louis. That # 2 selection will be highly coveted. Why would the Rams take a guy they can get at # 4 with the 2nd pick and get additional picks to boot?

I dont have the 'general understanding' If I'm the Rams..I dont think too much about it.

They have a QB They have a RB

Dot try to beat the game....Take the guy you want.which is Justin Blackmon

The Rams get the No.1 pick in Round 2...as well.

there's no guarantee that Minnesota doesnt take Blackmon if StLouis doenst...and there's no certainty that Minnesta doesnt take USC's Kalil if St. Luis doenst..

You dont know you can get them at pick 5 ..and the Browns need RG3...Colt McCoy jts aint makin' it.

...They have another first rounder and an early second rounder....for other needs..

If the Rams trade down, they wont get Blackmon...or Kalil..so they wont..

..and Cleveland wont trade UP to get RG3 when they can trade ALL THE WAY up and Get Luck,.. See?

I dont have the 'general understanding' If I'm the Rams..I dont think too much about it.

They have a QB They have a RB

Dot try to beat the game....Take the guy you want.which is Justin Blackmon

The Rams get the No.1 pick in Round 2...as well.

there's no guarantee that Minnesota doesnt take Blackmon if StLouis doenst...and there's no certainty that Minnesta doesnt take USC's Kalil if St. Luis doenst..

You dont know you can get them at pick 5 ..and the Browns need RG3...Colt McCoy jts aint makin' it.

...They have another first rounder and an early second rounder....for other needs..

If the Rams trade down, they wont get Blackmon...or Kalil..so they wont..

..and Cleveland wont trade UP to get RG3 when they can trade ALL THE WAY up and Get Luck,.. See?

All you are doing is creating a scenario to fit what you want but that is not reality. Samething you did a few weeks when you wanted Luck to only sign a 2 year contract. That is not close to reality.

The reality is that a team who covets a player and can get that player at pick # 4, would be foolish to take that same guy at two when they can move back and get more picks in addition.

All you are doing is creating a scenario to fit what you want but that is not reality. Samething you did a few weeks when you wanted Luck to only sign a 2 year contract. That is not close to reality.

The reality is that a team who covets a player and can get that player at pick # 4, would be foolish to take that same guy at two when they can move back and get more picks in addition.

But its a good arguement. Things arent certain at this point...

You dont KNOW you can get the same player at 4 that you can get at 2

That's exactly what I'm saying. Teams dont always work together inn the draft so each can get what they want

We dont know what Minnesota and St. Louis will do...

And the idea of Luck signing a contract with a mutual trade option after two years..

may be the only way to get him here. You'll come to my way of thinking on that

Folks dont seem to understand that Andrew can simply say 'no' to us

There's going to have to be some negotiating. Some thinking outside the box.

..a mutual tyrade option after two years..allows us to grab that same 'bounty' of draft choices for Luck

if Manning comes back strong

So you admit to making a statement that was really pretty well uninformed.

The larger issue is why the taking RG3 would cause you to jump teams. That is either high comedy or a statement on your fandom - actually it is probably both.

Uninformed? A nobody QB racks up big numbers in one season against mediocre teams - has an average at best bowl game against another mediocre team and I'm uninformed? LOL! IM'uniformed'O RG3 will be a major flop in the NFL at the QB position!

Andrew Luck won't have the accuracy in the NFL as he has had in college purely based on teh speed difference between college and the NFL.

Peyton manning sucked in his first year and would have greatly benefitted from tutelage from his future self for one or two years. Luck won't be any better.

RGIII's size is way too small to be an out of pocket passer/ rusher in teh NFL. He will be injured 3-4 games a year in the NFL as a starter. See Michael Vick. He fits Browns.

Kalil goes to Rams.

But its a good arguement. Things arent certain at this point...

You dont KNOW you can get the same player at 4 that you can get at 2

That's exactly what I'm saying. Teams dont always work together inn the draft so each can get what they want

We dont know what Minnesota and St. Louis will do...

And the idea of Luck signing a contract with a mutual trade option after two years..

may be the only way to get him here. You'll come to my way of thinking on that

Folks dont seem to understand that Andrew can simply say 'no' to us

There's going to have to be some negotiating. Some thinking outside the box.

..a mutual tyrade option after two years..allows us to grab that same 'bounty' of draft choices for Luck

if Manning comes back strong

What is a "mutual trade option"?