Are the Patriots tanking the #1 seed?

chad72

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

If they were tanking they would have sat Brady after getting hit low by Suh.

Don't the Fins always play them tough?

Yeah, but not to the extent of 10 points from Brady, I've never seen that level of offensive ineptitude, things don't add up to me.

1 minute ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

Maybe, but I also heard how they were going to annhilate the Eagles and Dolphins.

Yeah, they scored 28 points vs the Eagles without Gronk and Edelman. I'm not buying this Patriots performance a bit.

10 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Wouldn't make sense, they'll play the Steelers anyway as the #3 seed. They would manipulate things in their favor if possible, but they wouldn't tank on a bye and home field advantage.

Do the Bengals move ahead if the Broncos win?

Pats have better record vs common opponents by virtue of the Texans loss for the Bengals, their conference records are tied at 9-3. I think the Patriots stand pat at #2.

I thought the same but it's tough to call. Steelers at 6 is going to be a battle for the rest of the league a la 2005.

I hate to say a team "tanked" but I watched some of this game and the Pats looked so disinterested and tired at times.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just wait 2 weeks and watch them annihilate their divisional round opponent 

Well now Denver has to win to get the first seed. If they lost too then LOL at them playing hot potato to avoid the Steelers.

I don't think the Pats were tanking but they were definitely resting all their injured guys which was the smart move. They have been doing that for the last 2 weeks. IMO they are in better position as 2 seed as they will either get Houston, KC or Cincy. And Pitt has already beaten Cincy and Denver back to back. I am just hoping the offense can get going. It has been putrid the last few weeks. We will see if Edelman and Vollmer coming back can be the boost it needs.

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

I thought the same but it's tough to call. Steelers at 6 is going to be a battle for the rest of the league a la 2005.

I hate to say a team "tanked" but I watched some of this game and the Pats looked so disinterested and tired at times.

I totally agree. John Harbaugh, in 2012 sat his starters so that he can play Peyton and the Broncos in the divisional round than Brady. Patriots are almost unbeatable in the divisional round with a bye, more beatable in the AFCCG. They are fresh and even when down 14 points last year vs the Ravens, they have the legs to go the distance.

The same Ravens, when they went ahead 14+ in the 2012 AFCCG, the Patriots ran out of gas since they had one playoff game of wear extra, IMO.

Just now, chad72 said:

I totally agree. John Harbaugh, in 2012 sat his starters so that he can play Peyton and the Broncos in the divisional round than Brady. Patriots are almost unbeatable in the divisional round, more beatable in the AFCCG.

Most will say "don't go down the conspiracy route" but I swear........this was a shady game by NE.

But, I can't say I blame them either. I have a bad bad feeling on the Steelers maybe going the distance this year. I seen this movie before I think........

1 minute ago, amfootball said:

I don't think the Pats were tanking but they were definitely resting all their injured guys which was the smart move. They have been doing that for the last 2 weeks. IMO they are in better position as 2 seed as they will either get Houston, KC or Cincy. And Pitt has already beaten Cincy and Denver back to back. I am just hoping the offense can get going. It has been putrid the last few weeks. We will see if Edelman and Vollmer coming back can be the boost it needs.

Not getting HFA is a horrible move. They wont even get a Bye week now if Denver wins.

Just now, chad72 said:

I totally agree. John Harbaugh, in 2012 sat his starters so that he can play Peyton and the Broncos in the divisional round than Brady. Patriots are almost unbeatable in the divisional round, more beatable in the AFCCG.

Why would they have wanted to play the Broncos?  Did they know it was going to be the coldest game in Denver playoff history?

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Do the Bengals move ahead if the Broncos win?

Pats have better record vs common opponents by virtue of the Texans loss for the Bengals, their conference records are tied at 9-3

My mistake, I could have swore Cinci got the bye with the win and Pats loss. 

Dammit

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Why would they have wanted to play the Broncos?  Did they know it was going to be the coldest game in Denver playoff history?

Simple question - would you rather play Peyton having 4 1 and dones in the divisional round after a bye or Brady who has lost just 1 game ever in the divisional round after a bye?

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is not typical of the Patriots. Losing a game late in the season with the #1 seed on the line in the last game?

Are the Patriots playing match ups and avoiding the Steelers who they think will get past the #3 seed?

I'm not sure what the benefit would be.  There is no way they would know that the Steelers would even make the playoffs at the beginning of the game or even deep into the game for that matter.