Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The direction to go now

drums1st

The Colts should now let some other guys play to see what they can do. Cut a few of these guys & IR (if slightly hurt) the rest - Lance Lewis; Joe Reitz; D. Allen or Fleener; Frank Gore; A. Johnson or Griff Whalen; M.Hasselbeck; G. Toler; Colt Anderson; D. Jackson; J. Freeman; K. Langford. 

Sign Earl Okine; Amarlo Herrera; Duron Carter; Erik Swoope; Ben Heenan; Alex Tanney; P. LaDarius to the 53 from the P.S. & resign Dan Adongo.                                           Then let the kids play the final 2 games, along with a lot of the back ups on the 53 that haven't played much, ie Sio Moore; T.Y. McGill; K. Holmes; & Z. Tipton etc. 

Lets see what they can do evaluation wise for next season. This would also make it more likely we'd loose the last two games & give us a better draft pick position.

With decent health the Colts should win their divison next season, with good free agent additions (proven players in their mid-late 20's), a good draft & a new good OL coach.

I do realize maybe all the coaches' will be different with a new head coach.  But the new OL coach needs to be very good at his job. 

Peace

The Colts already have gotten flak (wrongfully so IMO) for the "suck for Luck" a few years ago. Doing something like this would essentially seal our fate as a franchise that tries to lose at times. I think the overall effect would be potentially disastrous to the franchise, despite me understanding to a certain extent why you would want to do it.

Installing a mentality that it is okay to lose, however, is never a good idea. That cloud can hang over a franchise. Look at the 76ers in the NBA. They're definitely on the extreme, but are proof that doing something like that never works.

Pagano is most likely on his way out. Playing the young developing guys to see what we have on the roster does not make sense to a coaching staff that will not be here next year.

Grigson is most likely fighting to retain his job. I assume he would rather go for a win rather than scout his players. That is what training camp is for.

38 minutes ago, drums1st said:

The Colts should now let some other guys play to see what they can do. Cut a few of these guys & IR (if slightly hurt) the rest - Lance Lewis; Joe Reitz; D. Allen or Fleener; Frank Gore; A. Johnson or Griff Whalen; M.Hasselbeck; G. Toler; Colt Anderson; D. Jackson; J. Freeman; K. Langford. 

Sign Earl Okine; Amarlo Herrera; Duron Carter; Erik Swoope; Ben Heenan; Alex Tanney; P. LaDarius to the 53 from the P.S. & resign Dan Adongo.                                           Then let the kids play the final 2 games, along with a lot of the back ups on the 53 that haven't played much, ie Sio Moore; T.Y. McGill; K. Holmes; & Z. Tipton etc. 

Lets see what they can do evaluation wise for next season. This would also make it more likely we'd loose the last two games & give us a better draft pick position.

With decent health the Colts should win their divison next season, with good free agent additions (proven players in their mid-late 20's), a good draft & a new good OL coach.

I do realize maybe all the coaches' will be different with a new head coach.  But the new OL coach needs to be very good at his job. 

Peace

Wowser! Gobbledegook!
  I would put D`John. Geathers and Sio Moore out there.
 And since i really don`t like Mewhort long term at guard, i would play him at Center.
 A fan of Reitz at LG and think more reps for Good at RT is worth a shot. Gooooo Colts!
And Gooo Coaching Staff and Griggs!         No Really, I mean GOOO! :D

33 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

The Colts already have gotten flak (wrongfully so IMO) for the "suck for Luck" a few years ago. Doing something like this would essentially seal our fate as a franchise that tries to lose at times. I think the overall effect would be potentially disastrous to the franchise, despite me understanding to a certain extent why you would want to do it.

Installing a mentality that it is okay to lose, however, is never a good idea. That cloud can hang over a franchise. Look at the 76ers in the NBA. They're definitely on the extreme, but are proof that doing something like that never works.

I'm not a fan of tanking, but the 76ers are doing something completely different. Their plan is to spend several years picking at the top of the draft, thereby increasing their odds of getting great players to build around. Not just a one season anomaly, but purposely allowing the team to suck for multiple seasons in a row. In theory, it's a plan that can work, and five years from now, they can have a contending team. 

The problem is that it's entirely counter to the foundation of competitive sports, which is that everyone tries to do their best. It's also undermining league revenue. 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not a fan of tanking, but the 76ers are doing something completely different. Their plan is to spend several years picking at the top of the draft, thereby increasing their odds of getting great players to build around. Not just a one season anomaly, but purposely allowing the team to suck for multiple seasons in a row. In theory, it's a plan that can work, and five years from now, they can have a contending team. 

The problem is that it's entirely counter to the foundation of competitive sports, which is that everyone tries to do their best. It's also undermining league revenue. 

You would also have taught a team to be losers to the bone and then having a mountain to climb teaching them to be winners. This would be especially problematic with those players that are supposed to be part of the new elite team but have been losers for 3 or 4 years. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Agree with everything you say. I guess what I was trying to convey is that I think doing something like the 76ers are doing, where you intentionally embrace a culture of losing, can have a negative impact on the whole franchise, which I think has definitely happened to them. And I am not suggesting that the OP was saying that the Colts should do that. I do think that putting 3rd and 4th string players out in starting positions is trending towards that same type of mentality, however, which I think the Colts should avoid. You're essentially telling the team you've mailed in the season as far as trying to win and just want to see what some of the guys deeper on the depth chart got. Not that Pagano, who is "coaching for his job," is going to do that anyway.

First order of business, let me congratulate the Texans organization & fans on their win yesterday. Their 1st win @ LOS in their young team's history especially after Yates went down holding his knee. I like that kid & I felt really bad for him. If losing at home yesterday means that Pagano & Grigson are a distant memory next year, that sounds fine to me too. 

Start assembling the head coaching & GM candidate lists now Jimmy. No need to delay the inevitable. I'm also with Dudley Smith, Mr. Clueless, & Superman as well. Intentional sabotage or tanking never sits well with me either. We still should have INDY pride despite in all likelihood missing the playoffs this season. 

Find somebody who can actually coach linemen please & get a new QB coach too. I've seen enough of Clyde Christensen. Greg Roman & Tom Coughlin better be near the top of that HC selection committee pool of interviewees man. 

36 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Losing on purpose... Yeah that's not cheating at all. 

It's interesting to me how different the stigma surrounding this philosophy can be from one league to the other. The current state of the MLB right now is basically "if you're not tanking, you're not building." If you look at how the Blue Jays, Astros, and Cubs have all "built" their current rosters, there's quite a bit of tanking going on, at least at the MLB-level (what everyone sees on TV), while they stack talent on their farm system rosters.

They dump all of their star players in the offseason, which frees up a ton of money, then they call up farm system guys to "gain experience at the MLB level" for a season or two, and voila, the next season a guy like Kris Bryant is just sitting there waiting to be drafted, and all those 2A & 3A guys are ready to play as well.

I guess the biggest difference is that it's usually a 3-year process, and in the NFL, 3 years is an eternity. And also, the NFL doesn't have minor leagues to develop and prepare players for the next level, which is also a huge difference.

Sucking for Luck is one thing. I can understand that only because it sets your franchise up for an entire decade or more.

But what kind of loser wants to suck for the 10th pick? Cmon have some pride! The difference between picking 10-15 is literally no distinguishable difference. This isn't basketball where there are only 5 good players in the entire draft.

I would much rather finish 8-8 and still miss the playoffs than be 6-10. Its still a dissapointing season but at least we wouldn't have a losing record.

18 minutes ago, Restored said:

Clean house (Grigson included). Then proceed to bring in either Saban, Payton or Harbaugh. I honestly only trust 1 of those 3 to really get this team to where it wants to be.

Sean Payton is locked up in Louisiana so he's off the table & which Harbaugh are you referring to? John or Jim? 

As much as I love John in Baltimore, Ravens owner Steve Biscotti will never let him go. I want nothing to do with Jim Harbaugh zero. 

Regarding Saban, I'm okay with bringing him in for a conversation just to hear his retooling sales pitch if nothing else. Would I hire Nick personally? No. I just don't like college hires because other than Jimmy Johnson it never works out on the NFL transition level. JMO. 

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Sean Payton is locked up in Louisiana so he's off the table & which Harbaugh are you referring to? John or Jim? 

As much as I love John in Baltimore, Ravens owner Steve Biscotti will never let him go. I want nothing to do with Jim Harbaugh zero. 

Regarding Saban, I'm okay with bringing him in for a conversation just to hear his retooling sales pitch if nothing else. Would I hire Nick personally? No. I just don't like college hires because other than Jimmy Johnson it never works out on the NFL transition level. JMO. 

I'm not so sure that Payton is locked up in New Orleans. There's been a large amount of talk concerning that he may end up being out at the end of this year. If he's available, I think the Colts have to strongly consider him. He'd do wonders with Luck. However, I'm a bit concerned that the defense wouldn't get fixed.

I wouldn't mind either of them honestly but I doubt it'd be John. I'm more inclined to believe that Jim would be the guy. While I've been skeptical of him in the past because of how things turned out in San Fran, I'd be willing to give him a shot here. That's also because he has a proven record of success. Going back to try and find an upcoming coordinator just doesn't sound appealing or logical at this point.

I'd be willing to give Saban a chance. He was in somewhat of a no-win situation with Miami and will walk back into the NFL with a good young QB, some solid players already in place and a lot more experience. Carroll did better his second time around so why not Saban? Irsay would in all liklehood give him a lucrative deal and give him total control over personnel which could end up being both a determent and blessing.

29 minutes ago, Restored said:

I'm not so sure that Payton is locked up in New Orleans. There's been a large amount of talk concerning that he may end up being out at the end of this year. If he's available, I think the Colts have to strongly consider him. He'd do wonders with Luck. However, I'm a bit concerned that the defense wouldn't get fixed.

I wouldn't mind either of them honestly but I doubt it'd be John. I'm more inclined to believe that Jim would be the guy. While I've been skeptical of him in the past because of how things turned out in San Fran, I'd be willing to give him a shot here. That's also because he has a proven record of success. Going back to try and find an upcoming coordinator just doesn't sound appealing or logical at this point.

I'd be willing to give Saban a chance. He was in somewhat of a no-win situation with Miami and will walk back into the NFL with a good young QB, some solid players already in place and a lot more experience. Carroll did better his second time around so why not Saban? Irsay would in all liklehood give him a lucrative deal and give him total control over personnel which could end up being both a determent and blessing.

Nice post Restored. Regarding Payton, you gotta remember that Sean & Brees won that franchise their 1st Lombardi trophy in 2009 which carries considerable weight with their owner Tom Benson. The Saints were a joke franchise before Sean showed up never being seen as a reliable playoff team prior to Payton's arrival. Plus, Sean trading away Jimmy Graham & firing Rob Ryan as DC proves to his boss that he's aggressively trying to win. So no, Sean isn't going anywhere. 

I know Jim is a sentimental indy favorite given his team ties in the Hoosier State & yes, he turned San Fran around nearly winning the SB vs the Ravens that's true. However, the guy has about a 2 & a half year span before the locker room starts tuning him out. Most good coaches can at least last 7-10 years before players no longer listen to the same old motivational speeches. Jim burns out way too quickly for my tastes. 

Saban would have to convince me that he won't jump ship & run if a college team didn't heavily sweeten the financial pot like he left Miami high & dry holding the Dolphins bag. I don't forgive liars easily & Saban lied to Miami ownership when he abandoned them for the Crimson Tide. 

True, I will admit that Pete Carroll fleeing USC sanctions & not facing the music either does upset me immensely as well. I tell you what if Saban led with that explaining how it was immature to leave the Dolphins like he did & how he's learned never to stun his employer like that ever again. I would really respect this honest disclose if Saban admitted that without any prompting etc. etc. 

54 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I guess the biggest difference is that it's usually a 3-year process, and in the NFL, 3 years is an eternity. And also, the NFL doesn't have minor leagues to develop and prepare players for the next level, which is also a huge difference.

Yup, having a farm system makes "building" in MLB an entirely different animal than the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Booker23 said:

Why does everyone want Gore cut? He hasn't been spectacular in the last few games but he's better than the others that we have. I wanted to get on the Varga hype train but it didn't happen

I with you B23 on the why be so critical of Gore backlash. I thought Frank did remarkable this year minus a 2 game streak where he coughed up the football this year. I've always liked Gore & even when he fumbled the ball, I let it slide because I loved his ability to hit the hole if our o-line could give him the slightest crease. 

Var-ga yeah, I thought he had tremendous potential too. I got excited because good things happened when that kid touched the ball. [I hate having to hyphenate NFL names simply because computer auto correct spell checking software messes up the name if I don't insert a darn dash. GRRR!]