Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anybody Else Switched On Eli?

oldunclemark

I find myself hoping that Eli Manning wins now..

Always used to feel he wasnt legitimate...that his name was greater than his game..

But he seems calm....and patient..

..always a with the possibility of a comeback...

I thought he (and the NYGs) were stone lucky in the Super Bowl 3 years ago...but now

I want to see him win...

It just seems like now he deserves to win. He's good enough.

anybody else?

I've always rooted for Eli, and he has always been a clutch performer - at his best with the game on the line. The SB heroics were no accident.

That doesn't mean that he has ever held a candle to his brother.

Not really. I think he had a good year but he has had plenty of horrible ones.

I'm not ready to call him an elite quarterback yet on one good year.

Manning, Brady, and Brees are the elite with Rodgers maybe knocking on the door.

Eli and Rivers are in the next tier below them, better than Roethlisberger and Romo but not in the top group.

Manning, Brady, and Brees are the elite with Rodgers maybe knocking on the door.

Eli and Rivers are in the next tier below them, better than Roethlisberger and Romo but not in the top group.

Very well said. I still like Eli, though. He's had a lot of crap around him at times, yet he comes through; at other times, they've been loaded, but he's been pick-city.

I've always felt Brees is/was the 2nd best QB behind Peyton. I just feel like he's far more in control of everything that happens than is Brady or Rodgers.

Blue...I agree that he's not an elite QB bt, to me, that's beside the point

He's more of an 'everyman'....the guy who overcomes the flaws we know he has...

I just WANT him to win now...

before when he lost games..I thought that's what his level of ability deserved...

I most definetly did NOT always root for him...

But now..maybe its just that he's taken a lick and is still there ticking..

..but I think he's earned the right to success...

You;'ve got to pay your dues and he has.

I strongly disliked the way he came into the league, by stating he did not want to play for the Chargers. I hate it when a player tries to mess up what the draft is all about. Since then, I have been impresses with his work ethic and humble attitude. I've been rooting for since the colts beat them in the season opener in 2006.

I've always been an Eli fan (other than his childish antics at the draft), but I also felt that his name was a big reason why he was drafted first overall. But now he is starting to play really well. I remember when people laughed at him in the offseason when he said he thinks he's an elite QB in the league...

Eli is like his team, great when they show up, and yet able to disappear for long stretches. They are playing well enough after yesterday's game to beat GB. That front four remembered that they are good and same with Brandon Jacobs, when that guy is going it changes the dynamic in any game.

He is not an elite qb imo but he is getting better. I personally do now wish he had made that statement. Now he needs to live up to it and although he is getting better each year I don't see him at that pinnacle yet.

I watch Eli because he is Peyton's brother, but he really needs to tone it down on some of his comments to the media.

Personally I can't stand their coach. His antics on the sidelines have such childish overtones. C'mon man!

He is not an elite qb imo but he is getting better. I personally do now wish he had made that statement. Now he needs to live up to it and although he is getting better each year I don't see him at that pinnacle yet.

I watch Eli because he is Peyton's brother, but he really needs to tone it down on some of his comments to the media.

Personally I can't stand their coach. His antics on the sidelines have such childish overtones. C'mon man!

Ha! It's the only even slightly controversial thing he's ever said and even that has been blown out of proportion. He was asked if he thought he was a top 5 QB and he said yes. What was he supposed to say, that he can't measure up to others? He's been known as being completely vanilla with the media.

Ha! It's the only even slightly controversial thing he's ever said and even that has been blown out of proportion. He was asked if he thought he was a top 5 QB and he said yes. What was he supposed to say, that he can't measure up to others? He's been known as being completely vanilla with the media.

Personally I think Eli has done the right thing with that he said yes. He didn't try to come back and explain his comments after it when it was getting blown out of proportion he has just gone out and played like one which is really the best thing he could have done. Frankly If Rodgers and Brees weren't breaking this year Eli would have been right there in the MVP talk.

I think "that is not up to me to decide" would have been the prudent thing to say.

You don't like Coughlin? I think he is a good coach. Which of his antics do you think are childish?

I hear him talk more often than Peyton - even when I don't want to - since it's on the local news shows and the like. He's actually so mild-mannered as to be dull. I'm not sure what happened with that stupid quote, but it certainly isn't a pattern. He completely lacks his brothers humor and comfort in front of the camera. Comes across like a kid who tries to say the right thing without saying anything. I always remember that his nickname was "Easy" or some variation there of, which seems to fit. This always made me assume that he didn't have the same relentless drive that Peyton does. If he HAS managed to improve over time that's certainly a credit to him - particularly in a year in which Rivers (who will be linked to him forever) has taken a step backwards.

@21: . When they don't score he tends to throw his sholders down, bunch his fists and turn sideways in a way I would relate to a 10 year old

@ Mac: . . honestly I like Eli and I in no way meant to slam him. He is Peyton's brother after all how could I not? :)

But he does not come across well with the media.

I remember back to when they reported only one person showed up for his post-game interview, and how he patiently waited for any others before taking the podium, but no one else showed. Broke my heart.

@ Mac: . . honestly I like Eli and I in no way meant to slam him. He is Peyton's brother after all how could I not? :)

But he does not come across well with the media.

I remember back to when they reported only one person showed up for his post-game interview, and how he patiently waited for any others before taking the podium, but no one else showed. Broke my heart.

Didn't take it that way, and I'm not too concerned with defending him. I was just adding my two cents since I spend so much time listening to WFAN in NY. I thought that your perception of his speaking might have been based on a very small sample size.

One of my nieces calls him "Eeyore", which is amusing and fits very well. "Ho hum, I suppose tomorrow will be another day". You're right, he's lousy talking to the media. Considering the fact that if someone tried to make me appear on TV I'd probably collapse in a ball on the floor like a possum and wait for them to leave, I try not to be too judgemental.

Couple of semi-interesting anecdotes about Eli's shyness (I think I read these in a book about Eli following the superbowl):

He never spoke a word until well past his 3rd birthday. But, when he did, his first words were "Peyton, who's cat is that?". A full sentence as his first words.

Archie has said that the house was so quiet after Peyton left for college that when someone called and asked if Eli was home, Archie's honest answer was usually, "I don't know"

Cooper would drive them all to school and was supposed to drop Eli off at his school before going on to Newman (Eli attended a different Elementary school b/c of some learning issues and then went to Newman in Jr. High). On more than one occasion, the two older brothers completely forgot about Eli in the back seat and drove to their own school. Eli never said a word.

Eli is simply the opposite personality of Peyton. Even after the superbowl, one of my favorite moments was at the ticker tape parade, Michael Strahan literally had to grab Eli and drag him (more like throw him) to the front of the float the two were on so people could see him.

Very well said. I still like Eli, though. He's had a lot of crap around him at times, yet he comes through; at other times, they've been loaded, but he's been pick-city.

I've always felt Brees is/was the 2nd best QB behind Peyton. I just feel like he's far more in control of everything that happens than is Brady or Rodgers.

Brees and Payton are joined at the hip, as is Brady and BB, Rodgers and McCarthy. I think these QBs are just really in tune with their coaches . PM on the other hand is his own coach.