Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

National Anthem - Browns Ravens game

rockywoj

Yeah that little girl has an awesome voice! Powerful.

Her whole story is powerful-

Marlana's Story

Marlana was born with Cytomegalovirus (CMV), by the time she was a few weeks old it was discovered that she was blind. Her optic nerve never formed. She was not expected to live past one year. At the age of two, Marlana was diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy.

.... {snipped stuff}

She has sung all over the United States at various events & churches. Marlana is a member of the Artist Music Guild where she was the 2012 recipient for New Artist of the Year and Young Artist of the Year. She also was a 2013 & 2014 nominee for Artist of the Year. Marlana sung the National Anthem at a University of Kentucky Women’s Basketball game in 2012. This was placed on YouTube and the video went viral. Since then, CBS evening news aired her story, she has sung at  ...

Full story here-  http://www.littlemarlana.com/my-story.html

Marlana's Story

Marlana was born with Cytomegalovirus (CMV), by the time she was a few weeks old it was discovered that she was blind. Her optic nerve never formed. She was not expected to live past one year. At the age of two, Marlana was diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy.

.... {snipped stuff}

She has sung all over the United States at various events & churches. Marlana is a member of the Artist Music Guild where she was the 2012 recipient for New Artist of the Year and Young Artist of the Year. She also was a 2013 & 2014 nominee for Artist of the Year. Marlana sung the National Anthem at a University of Kentucky Women’s Basketball game in 2012. This was placed on YouTube and the video went viral. Since then, CBS evening news aired her story, she has sung at  ...

Full story here-  http://www.littlemarlana.com/my-story.html

Yeah she has overcome a lot, she was definitely blessed with a powerful voice. One of the best voices I have heard in a long time.

Very impressed with her performance. She sang it the way it was meant to be sung. 

So many times anymore people change up the melody when singing our national anthem and that is a real pet peeve with me.

Bravo to this brave and very talented young girl.    Job Well Done.

Very impressed with her performance. She sang it the way it was meant to be sung. 

So many times anymore people change up the melody when singing our national anthem and that is a real pet peeve with me.

Bravo to this brave and very talented young girl.    Job Well Done.

Yeah, she did a great job.

I understand your pet peeve.  The Star Spangled Banner is really a military song.  Its meant to be sung one way.  Its really disrespectful to the meaning of the song when a singer tries to jazz it up with extra notes and syllables that don't exist, no matter how good their voice is.

Its a hard song to sing, and many don't have the voice to do it, so I understand when they can't reach or hold the notes they might improvise.  But so many famous people do have the voice, so when they try to hip it up, they just end up trashing it down.

Marlana's Story

.... {snipped stuff}

She has sung all over the United States at various events & churches. Marlana is a member of the Artist Music Guild where she was the 2012 recipient for New Artist of the Year and Young Artist of the Year. She also was a 2013 & 2014 nominee for Artist of the Year. Marlana sung the National Anthem at a University of Kentucky Women’s Basketball game in 2012. This was placed on YouTube and the video went viral. Since then, CBS evening news aired her story, she has sung at ...

Full story here- http://www.littlemarlana.com/my-story.html

Thank you for sharing that. She has a beautiful voice. She sings our National Anthem brilliantly.

It was the most beautiful version of the Natl. Anthem I have ever heard. She gave a marvelous performance where she clearly sang every word with the proper pitch too. Bravo! 

I used to thing that Whitney Houston, rest in peace, sang the best version of the Star Spangled Banner, but now, I might have to reconsider that given the obstacles she overcame in life. Simply amazing.

On 11/30/2015, 8:07:16, ColtsBlueFL said:

I saw the game where she sang before.  Also, I happened to catch an ESPN E-60 about her.  It is located here for those interested (shows her at home with mom and dad, etc...  Huge UK fans there...)

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10703950

Yes, thank you for posting that story.  I missed the prelude to her singing, so I didn't know her story, but upon watching her do such an amazing job singing, I thought I'd post this "feel good" thread giving props for the great job she did.  Cheers for providing the back story. :)

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎36‎:‎59‎, DougDew said:

Yeah, she did a great job.

I understand your pet peeve.  The Star Spangled Banner is really a military song.  Its meant to be sung one way.  Its really disrespectful to the meaning of the song when a singer tries to jazz it up with extra notes and syllables that don't exist, no matter how good their voice is.

Its a hard song to sing, and many don't have the voice to do it, so I understand when they can't reach or hold the notes they might improvise.  But so many famous people do have the voice, so when they try to hip it up, they just end up trashing it down.

I agree 100%. Bugs the heck out of me when someone, regardless of how well they can sing, adds their little twist to the National Anthem. I'd rather hear someone without the greatest voice perform it correctly, than to hear a great singer do his/her own version. 

15 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Sorry, any song should be allowed some interpretation. Athem ot not. I remember Marti Casey doing Britney's 'song'. Geez, the Pistols version of God Save The Queen was ok. 

Now, Bruce S doing a Christmas song is different....

I agree with exception to the National Anthem. It's not meant to compel listeners to tap their toes, or shake their butts, etc. as some of the modified versions might. It shouldn't be modernized or modified for the times. The singing of the National Anthem should give you goosebumps, make the hairs on the back of your neck stand and even bring a tear to your eye(s). Should be respected by removing one's hat and not smacking gum, or talking while being performed. Some of the new versions give an entirely different feel. IMO, not respectful.

18 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

I'm partial to the Jimi Hendrix version myself.

:burnout::peek: 

j/k!

Different versions of the Natl. Anthem are fine to explore & listen to from time to time just to broaden one's horizons. Just not on Veterans Day, Pearl Harbor Day, or during football or baseball games.

I do agree though PAC56 that Jimi's version is creative & 1 of a kind though. I get what you're driving at.

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Different versions of the Natl. Anthem are fine to explore & listen to from time to time just to broaden one's horizons. Just not on Veterans Day, Pearl Harbor Day, or during football or baseball games.

I do agree though PAC56 that Jimi's version is creative & 1 of a kind though. I get what you're driving at.

Very good points there, SW1....putting one's own personal touch on the National Anthem like Hendrix did at Woodstock was obviously driven by the time and the place.

Roseanne Barr and Carl Lewis moments....on the other hand? Well, where was Chuck Barris the Gong Show host when we needed him? :facepalm:

On November 30, 2015 at 8:31:03 PM, bluebombers87 said:

While I've never sung the national anthem as a solo, I've been told it's one of the more difficult to sing. I'm always impressed by those that can knock it out of the park. Whitney Houston for my money had one of the best.

Whitney Houston's rendition of the National Anthem before the Super Bowl was/is/will be my all time favorite. Talk about nailing a performance? Her beautiful voice & attitude singing that day was just that. Perfection.

Its very rare that the national anthem is sang right these days, People always wanting to put there only little twist and touch at certain parts of the anthem only to butcher it time and time again, Have only heard maybe a handful of good ones since Whitney Houston in 1991 SB

On 12/5/2015, 2:05:01, pacolts56 said:

I'm partial to the Jimi Hendrix version myself.

:burnout::peek: 

j/k!

Why can't Irsay get us that before games? Like the Hendrix version before the playoff game IF we win the division. (don't want to tick off Houston fans so yes IF, I get it I get it this crap is tied).

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think this new format has BOTT irritated so BOTT is on "a roll lately" (sarcasm) I am joking.

Not hard to be irritated too since we are playing the stinky steelers soon who are often a thorn in our behinds.

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They have our number, if we win this game it would be a surprise but we can win if we get the key breaks and don't turn it over.

We beat them in the regular season before though. 2005 and 2008 come to mind. In the playoffs I don't think we ever have.

We are due though......lets hope for the best. I am kinda calling for us to show up so we better lol.

20 hours ago, Jules said:

Why can't Irsay get us that before games? Like the Hendrix version before the playoff game IF we win the division. (don't want to tick off Houston fans so yes IF, I get it I get it this crap is tied).

Because Irsay be too busy banging on his brand spankin' new vintage Ringo Starr drum set that he spent millions bidding for, pretending he's in the Beatles. The Steelers are just mean mean Mr. Mustard. 

8 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Because Irsay be too busy banging on his brand spankin' new vintage Ringo Starr drum set that he spent millions bidding for, pretending he's in the Beatles. The Steelers are just mean mean Mr. Mustard. 

What does this thread have to do with the steelers?   Try to keep up. 

13 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I can't imagine owning that drum set. OMG. Your drummer friend would be in heaven.