Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think we can all conclude that Grigs had one heck of a draft

The injury to Anderson sucked but he looked great, Parry and Geathers look like Studs, still waiting on Smith, Dorsett and JRob, likely wont see Dorsett or JRob till next season, and Good has been good. Solid draft with the potential of being great, Cant wait to see Dorsett and Anderson back in it next year.

Looks like a good haul so far... The roster had so many holes before the season started that it was impossible to fix them all, but RG did an admirable job with the draft. If he does nearly as good next season (assuming he stays) we won't have to pay for every former Eagle that hits FA.

I hope Robinson progresses into someone we can use (at least as part of a rotation) in the future. I'd say that Indy will definitely draft a RB next off-season, but you can find undrafted guys that can be productive, so it's not a given. As always, no reason to ever take one early.

Dorsett, Moncrief, and Hilton look like a very dangerous receiving trio for next year and beyond... No reason to draft anybody else at WR, IMO.

Anderson and Parry are the real finds of the draft. Anderson got hurt, but both of them will be better players next season. That's two positions on the D-Line that have (potentially) been shored up for the foreseeable future. It won't shock me to see Grigson (probably Grigson) grab a D-lineman early in the next draft, he probably should, but I have a feeling that there will be an emphasis on bringing in some young edge rushing talent, and with good cause.

Geathers needs to work on coverage, but he is all over the field when he gets snaps. Adams can't play forever, so I assume Indy will add a ball-hawking type in the next draft with all due respect to Dwight Lowery.

Good looked decent this afternoon. He could be a valuable part of the O-Line, if only for OT depth. Grigson has not been great at evaluating O-Line talent so far as a GM (Mewhort notwithstanding), but he seems to have made a great judgement here, especially when you consider how many linemen who get drafted in the first 3 rounds don't ever pan out or at least never live up to their draft position. To get anything out of a late-rounder like Good is really a bonus...

I think that interior O-Line is still an area that needs attention, but I wouldn't be surprised if the organization thinks that OT isn't a need with AC, Reitz, Mewhort, and Good on the roster. On the other hand, it might be smart to grab more college OTs that are versatile enough to play 3 positions if needed.

Smith is an unknown at this point, but I really hope that he works out here. He seems more like a slot corner, but I won't say that he couldn't play Toler's role without seeing him play more. I get that Toler gets picked on because QBs avoid Vontae and that he's good for a couple really solid plays per game, but I'd really like to see another shut down corner opposite Davis in the future.

Anderson is a home run, Parry and Geathers look like good picks. Could have done better than Dorsett, Smith has barely played, and Robinson seems like he's not good enough. Getting a full game without disaster out of Good is a win.

If I had to grade this draft right now, I'd give it a B-. 

A year from now, Dorsett and Smith should be more productive. If so, this could be a B+.

Anderson is a home run, Parry and Geathers look like good picks. Could have done better than Dorsett, Smith has barely played, and Robinson seems like he's not good enough. Getting a full game without disaster out of Good is a win.

If I had to grade this draft right now, I'd give it a B-. 

A year from now, Dorsett and Smith should be more productive. If so, this could be a B+.

I follow your logic, but I think you might be a little stingy here - mainly on Dorsett, because we don't know anything about Smith yet.  If you go back through the picks that followed 29, you might not find a player of higher projected career value until you get to Eric Kendricks at 45 - that's a lot of picks.  Overall it's a hard game to play this early - and we don't really have much to go on because of Dorsett's injury, but I really like what I saw in his limited opportunities.  If we were as hard on the picks that followed as we are on our own, I think we'd all like him better.

I follow your logic, but I think you might be a little stingy here - mainly on Dorsett, because we don't know anything about Smith yet. If you go back through the picks that followed 29, you might not find a player of higher projected career value until you get to Eric Kendricks at 45 - that's a lot of picks. Overall it's a hard game to play this early - and we don't really have much to go on because of Dorsett's injury, but I really like what I saw in his limited opportunities. If we were as hard on the picks that followed as we are on our own, I think we'd all like him better.

We're judging with the benefit of hindsight here. I'm not down on Dorsett, but when you consider his production so far and the players that could have produced more that were still on the board, it's fair to say we could have done better. At this point, it's kind of hard to argue with Kendricks being the best option for us.

And there are a handful of other guys who would probably be producing for us right now, while Dorsett, even if healthy, would still be #3 or #4 on the depth chart -- Randall, Anthony, Edwards, Smith, Kikaha, etc. I'm not arguing that we should have drafted those players instead of Dorsett, but they would probably be more productive to this point.

Insofar as it even makes sense to grade a draft after 11 games, I think we could have done better than Dorsett. I said that at the time, also. And him being our first rounder, that has a significant bearing on the overall draft grade.

The jury is still out on all these guys, of course. Kendricks might pull a Chris Borland and retire, while Dorsett goes off in 2016. I'm just giving my opinion as of today, despite how little it matters.

We're judging with the benefit of hindsight here. I'm not down on Dorsett, but when you consider his production so far and the players that could have produced more that were still on the board, it's fair to say we could have done better. At this point, it's kind of hard to argue with Kendricks being the best option for us.

And there are a handful of other guys who would probably be producing for us right now, while Dorsett, even if healthy, would still be #3 or #4 on the depth chart -- Randall, Anthony, Edwards, Smith, Kikaha, etc. I'm not arguing that we should have drafted those players instead of Dorsett, but they would probably be more productive to this point.

Insofar as it even makes sense to grade a draft after 11 games, I think we could have done better than Dorsett. I said that at the time, also. And him being our first rounder, that has a significant bearing on the overall draft grade.

The jury is still out on all these guys, of course. Kendricks might pull a Chris Borland and retire, while Dorsett goes off in 2016. I'm just giving my opinion as of today, despite how little it matters.

In the static sense, I know you are right - matching up purely with production to date.  In the dynamic, it's a better draft than that.  Better still when you roll thru the list of players between Dorsett and Kendricks and there isn't a good case to be made that any of them will be better pros than Dorsett...and from my perspective, it's hard to argue that Kendricks is a guy we missed on when he went a half round later.