Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about Jim Irsay as an owner?

RockThatBlue

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to find a better owner in the NFL than Jim Irsay. Just the mere fact that he wants to win year in & year out is an outstanding acknowledgement of commitment to the organization, its employees, coaches & players, fans, and all of it's affiliates. He's fair, honest, and runs a family oriented franchise. What more could you ask? It is my hope that when Jim passes this team down to his daughter, that she will try and emulate her father's passion for football, and the definition of "Colts Football!" A winning tradition Jim has set forth since his father's passing.

Excellent owner, cares about the team and fans. Yes he has had a pill addiction and alcohol problems but that has nothing to do with the way he has ran the team or the way he has treated the fans. We have been the 2nd best franchise in the league since Peyton got drafted in 1998 (only behind the Patriots but we also don't have a reputation for cheating). A SB win and tons of other huge wins, The drafting of Peyton instead of Leaf, Luck instead of RG3, etc.. Enough said. A lot of franchises and their fans are dying for a SB Championship like the Eagles, Chargers, Bills, Vikings, Panthers, and Texans for example and we as a fan base were at least able to know what winning 1 is like! I love Irsay as an owner. I also don't think he did Peyton wrong either, it was a mutual split and it was time for us to rebuild. Another smart move on Irsay's part to go with Luck.

Overall good owner who strives to connect and please fans, Wants to win and to see players do well. I do however feel that past experiences and shortcomings when it comes to winning multiple SB's with in my opinion the greatest QB of all time has led him to be a bit more aggressive (maybe the media heads have just covered it more) with the team aspects of the organization and I wonder if sometimes that has made our coaches and GM feel like they have to walk on eggshells at times around Jim. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing but we have heard multiple times about him reaming players. coaches and GM out after a loss

I think Jim is a great owner. He has had the chance to move the team someplace else and said Indy is home. He does a lot for the people of Indianapolis that goes untold. His off field problems are human things that can happen to any one of us. Heck, If I had his money no telling what I would do and get into? haha

Excellent owner, cares about the team and fans. Yes he has had a pill addiction and alcohol problems but that has nothing to do with the way he has ran the team or the way he has treated the fans. We have been the 2nd best franchise in the league since Peyton got drafted in 1998 (only behind the Patriots but we also don't have a reputation for cheating). A SB win and tons of other huge wins, The drafting of Peyton instead of Leaf, Luck instead of RG3, etc.. Enough said. A lot of franchises and their fans are dying for a SB Championship like the Eagles, Chargers, Bills, Vikings, Panthers, and Texans for example and we as a fan base were at least able to know what winning 1 is like! I love Irsay as an owner. I also don't think he did Peyton wrong either, it was a mutual split and it was time for us to rebuild. Another smart move on Irsay's part to go with Luck.

I agree. Well said. Jim Irsay has had to deal with his serious demons; its too bad that it was so public, because it probably has tainted his national reputation for life. To some out there, he may be a laughing stock. That's ignorant, but understandable. Yet his story is far better and more profound than most of the public realizes. He has been born and raised within the NFL culture; brought into that culture by his father Bob, a fractious personality and highly controversial owner. J.I. is a former GM; he's a football man, through and through. That's very, very rare for an owner. One can argue that he's been far more effective than most of the ownership in the NFL. The Colts are a nationally significant team again, and his leadership has made that happen. Here is to a sober, healthy, fulfilling life for the owner of the team we love. I'm pulling for him, just as I pull for the team.

I agree. Well said. Jim Irsay has had to deal with his serious demons; its too bad that it was so public, because it probably has tainted his national reputation for life. To some out there, he may be a laughing stock. That's ignorant, but understandable. Yet his story is far better and more profound than most of the public realizes. He has been born and raised within the NFL culture; brought into that culture by his father Bob, a fractious personality and highly controversial owner. J.I. is a former GM; he's a football man, through and through. That's very, very rare for an owner. One can argue that he's been far more effective than most of the ownership in the NFL. The Colts are a nationally significant team again, and his leadership has made that happen. Here is to a sober, healthy, fulfilling life for the owner of the team we love. I'm pulling for him, just as I pull for the team.

Yeah Irsay has made sure we have been relevant for the last 20 years basically. He seen the writing on the wall regarding Peyton and knew he had Luck in the wings. I stand by his decision a 100% for letting Peyton go and drafting Luck to keep us relevant more than likely for even the next 10 years. Luck will get healthy and I am very confident Irsay will make sure we put the best team around him to succeed moving forward. We could still make noise in this years Playoffs if Luck gets healthy.

Has his own issues but I cant judge him on that since i'm not living his life and I know he's had health issues.  

He's active. He cares about the team. He cares about the fans. Good in an interview.

He's the kind of owner I think a lot of teams are jealous of.

He hit the financial jackpot at birth by being Bob Irsay's son. But the personal toll of being Bob Irsay's son may not have been worth it. As for his ability as an owner, he seems to be able to check off most of the boxes that matter to me, mostly that he has presided over a successful tenure and seems to care about the huddled masses who root for his team.

He's ok. He definitely wants to be the star of the show and the "face of the franchise". He wants to be a "rockstar owner" like Jerry Jones but he just isn't.

I am glad he isn't, Jerry Jones has ruined the Cowboys. He messed that team up starting with basically treating Jimmy Johnson like garbage. Jimmy was behind the Walker trade that turned them into a dynasty, since their last SB win they have been a mediocre franchise. Cowboys have won 3 Playoff games since their last SB win in the 95 Season. Irsay>Jerry.

I've always had a lot of respect for Jim. His personal issues have been exploited by Colts haters as a lack of character, but should no more be judged that way than diabetes or cancer.

I'm sure he's had input into drafts and other personnel moves but lets his coaches coach. 

I am glad he isn't, Jerry Jones has ruined the Cowboys. He messed that team up starting with basically treating Jimmy Johnson like garbage. Jimmy was behind the Walker trade that turned them into a dynasty, since their last SB win they have been a mediocre franchise. Cowboys have won 3 Playoff games since their last SB win in the 95 Season. Irsay>Jerry.

I need my glasses cleaned you 'peasant.'  

IMO.....this guy is the wackiest and is the most pompous owner I have ever seen

Jim Irsay!!  Great owner!!!

7940820200_acbd99c4f5_o.gif

I need my glasses cleaned you 'peasant.'  

IMO.....this guy is the wackiest and is the most pompous owner I have ever seen

Jim Irsay!!  Great owner!!!

7940820200_acbd99c4f5_o.gif

Yeah he is very strange. I obviously don't know him personally but just the way he has ran that team since he fired Jimmy Johnson is just strange. Yes he won 1 SB without Jimmy but that was Jimmy's team. Since the 1995 Season that franchise has been real disappointing. Troy Aikman probably deep down has to be disgusted with them.

He's ok. He definitely wants to be the star of the show and the "face of the franchise". He wants to be a "rockstar owner" like Jerry Jones but he just isn't.

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but his actions have clearly been to the contrary (i.e. peyton face of Colts and NFL, which Jim encouraged, doing same wit Luck). The only time he's drawing attention to himself, is when he's engaging with his consumers. That's just good business practice.

He hit the financial jackpot at birth by being Bob Irsay's son. But the personal toll of being Bob Irsay's son may not have been worth it. As for his ability as an owner, he seems to be able to check off most of the boxes that matter to me, mostly that he has presided over a successful tenure and seems to care about the huddled masses who root for his team.

I am sure he remembers his father before alcohol took his fathers personality away. Addiction covers all walks of life.

I like him up until he started using Twitter. Twitter has caused him to he a meddling owner who doesn't understand his role.

/S

His roll? His roll is an owner. I followed his twitter account and I found him pretty funny. I have a feeling all you know is what you pick up from media. If you dislike him over something like that you really need to be more informed. Meddling owner is way off base and for you to even say that shows you really know little of him.

His roll? His roll is an owner. I followed his twitter account and I found him pretty funny. I have a feeling all you know is what you pick up from media. If you dislike him over something like that you really need to be more informed. Meddling owner is way off base and for you to even say that shows you really know little of him.

Media? I don't even have cable. But keep trying real hard to act like you have a clue. Just stick to calling anyone who disagrees with you a whiner.

And Rusty....../S = sarcasm.

And Jim Irsay is the owner, not his roll.