Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy -3 vs Tampa Bay

dw49

They're coming fresh off a big, blowout win over Philly. Winston has settled down and looked better each week while Doug Martin continues to be a stud. I think the Colts can have success on offense given that their defense allows the other team to do what the Colts are doing well with Hasselbeck (quick, underneath passes and usage of RB's in the passing game). How their defense matches up will be the key.

If we win this, I wonder if they decide to play Hasselbeck again vs the Steelers, that will be around one month since Luck's injury

I doubt Andrew comes back until the Texans game.  You hate to lose any game, but losing to the Steelers doesn't really hurt us if we can win the rest.

This is going to be a lot tougher game than people think.  First off check out the records of both teams.  Second, Tampa has a balanced offense.  Those are always the hardest to stop.  And they have extremely tall WRs, something all teams have trouble defending.  And lastly they play zone.  And to me zone teams are really effective vs a QB with limited ability.  Matt has been playing well but you see how Atlanta's cover 3 limited him and he just doesn't have the arm strength to make them pay IMO.

I think Phillys main issue is they now have Sanchez at quarterback, plus that tempo scheme. They probably went 3 and out a bunch plus maybe some turnovers.  They probably put the game in Tampas lap pretty much.  We don't play that kind of ball.  I expect us to beat Tampa.

This is going to be a lot tougher game than people think.  First off check out the records of both teams.  Second, Tampa has a balanced offense.  Those are always the hardest to stop.  And they have extremely tall WRs, something all teams have trouble defending.  And lastly they play zone.  And to me zone teams are really effective vs a QB with limited ability.  Matt has been playing well but you see how Atlanta's cover 3 limited him and he just doesn't have the arm strength to make them pay IMO.

You're right, TB is tough because they bring a balanced offense.  As Winston has settled down they have gotten progressively better.  There still isn't much on defense.  Can the Colts turn them over and can Hasselbeck stay away from INTs.

In what way does Tampa have more talent than atlanta?

Have you watched their games?

Doug Martin, Jameis, and Mike Evans have all played really good lately. Kwon Alexander, Gerald McCoy, and Lavonte David are all playing at an All Star level.

Have you watched their games?

Doug Martin, Jameis, and Mike Evans have all played really good lately. Kwon Alexander, Gerald McCoy, and Lavonte David are all playing at an All Star level.

Kwon Alexander is facing a 4 game suspension for substance abuse. Not sure if he will even play

I think the Colts match up pretty well with Tampa Bay. I wouldn't put too much in Tampa's win over the Eagles because they are just not the team they have been advertised as. (kind of like the Colts?) :)

Martins first good game since Washington He went 23-71 vs ATL 11-31 vs NYG 18-63 vs Dallas.

Philly is a train wreck. It was a nice win for TB. I don't think they are coming into our house and winning.

Injuries could make it a struggle but I think we get the W. We will control the clock and win the turnover battle. This will be the week we have our 100 yard rushers

This is going to be a lot tougher game than people think. First off check out the records of both teams. Second, Tampa has a balanced offense. Those are always the hardest to stop. And they have extremely tall WRs, something all teams have trouble defending. And lastly they play zone. And to me zone teams are really effective vs a QB with limited ability. Matt has been playing well but you see how Atlanta's cover 3 limited him and he just doesn't have the arm strength to make them pay IMO.

Whalen will be open 100% of the time if they play zone the other WR don't really know when and where to sit inside a zone to bail the qb out.

LONG TIME Bucs fan, here... This game coming is one that I look at with great anticipation, and with trepidation, as well. 

Yeah, we played a good game against the Eagles. YAY!  We won... 2 in a row! All of a sudden the Bucs are "relevant". Here is my problem with that: Certainly, we're improving, but we have not shown any consistency, at least on Defense. Sunday, we see WHICH Bucs defense shows up. Some view this as a trap game; Colts don't have Andrew, and Hasselbeck's been around before cellphones came out. I am VERY wary of the Colts. You're in a big fight for control of the division, with the Texans playing reasonably well.

It should be a good game! This ain't your Daddy's Buccaneers.

Uhm,..... Before we get our collective over confident panties in a wad, we may want to gaze at this.

Statistical comparison

Category Bucs Colts

Total offense 9th (370.7 ypg) 18th (345.9 ypg)

Rushing offense 2nd (142.2 ypg) 20th (98.5 ypg)

Passing offense 23rd (228.5 ypg) 15th (247.4 ypg)

Total defense 13th (339.1 ypg) 27th (392.3 ypg)

Rushing defense 14th (104.5 ypg) 21st (113.4 ypg)

Passing defense 13th (234.6 ypg) 29th (278.9 ypg)

Points scored t12th (23.6 ppg) 18th (22.4 ppg)

Points allowed 26th (25.4 ppg) 19th (24.8 ppg)

Sacks t15th (23.0) 30th (14.0)

Sacks allowed t7th (17.0) t12th (20.0)

Turnover margin 9th (plus-3) 27th (minus-6)

Team Leaders

Category Bucs Colts

Rushing yards Doug Martin (941) Frank Gore (633)

Passer rating Jameis Winston (86.5) Matt Hasselbeck (91.9)

Passing yards Jameis Winston (2,405) Andrew Luck (1,881)

Receptions Mike Evans (44) T.Y. Hilton (45)

Receiving yards Mike Evans (725) T.Y. Hilton (724)

Tackles Lavonte David (87) D’Qwell Jackson (100)

Sacks Gerald McCoy (6.0) Robert Mathis (4.0)

Interceptions Four tied (2) Mike Adams (5)

Oh, and the Bucs also beat BOTH The Falcons and New Orleans......AWAY.

I'm just sayin.

We are better at running back, QB, OLine, DLine, Linebackers, and close on the receivers. I have been to a bunch of Bucs-Colts games, the worst one was in 1991 when both teams were AWFUL, and the most heartbreaking one was 2003 when Manning abused Tim Wansley.

Uhm,..... Before we get our collective over confident panties in a wad, we may want to gaze at this.

Statistical comparison

Category Bucs Colts

Total offense 9th (370.7 ypg) 18th (345.9 ypg)

Rushing offense 2nd (142.2 ypg) 20th (98.5 ypg)

Passing offense 23rd (228.5 ypg) 15th (247.4 ypg)

Total defense 13th (339.1 ypg) 27th (392.3 ypg)

Rushing defense 14th (104.5 ypg) 21st (113.4 ypg)

Passing defense 13th (234.6 ypg) 29th (278.9 ypg)

Points scored t12th (23.6 ppg) 18th (22.4 ppg)

Points allowed 26th (25.4 ppg) 19th (24.8 ppg)

Sacks t15th (23.0) 30th (14.0)

Sacks allowed t7th (17.0) t12th (20.0)

Turnover margin 9th (plus-3) 27th (minus-6)

Team Leaders

Category Bucs Colts

Rushing yards Doug Martin (941) Frank Gore (633)

Passer rating Jameis Winston (86.5) Matt Hasselbeck (91.9)

Passing yards Jameis Winston (2,405) Andrew Luck (1,881)

Receptions Mike Evans (44) T.Y. Hilton (45)

Receiving yards Mike Evans (725) T.Y. Hilton (724)

Tackles Lavonte David (87) D’Qwell Jackson (100)

Sacks Gerald McCoy (6.0) Robert Mathis (4.0)

Interceptions Four tied (2) Mike Adams (5)

Oh, and the Bucs also beat BOTH The Falcons and New Orleans......AWAY.

I'm just sayin.

Almost every team on our schedule for the rest of the year will have better stats than us so its no surprise especially how bad the offense was, the injuries, and the bad positions the O put the D in. Everybody knows we are a much better team than those numbers indicate. Most of us have already said Tampa can not be slept on. It's a Dirk Koeter offense so they will be similar to Atlanta. A lot of running and play pass. Stats may be better but we still think its a winnable game.

We are better at running back, QB, OLine, DLine, Linebackers, and close on the receivers. I have been to a bunch of Bucs-Colts games, the worst one was in 1991 when both teams were AWFUL, and the most heartbreaking one was 2003 when Manning abused Tim Wansley.

You would probably know better since they're in your division but I'm not sure about RB, DL, or LBs, you guys might have more depth at those positions, but from a production standpoint, I wouldn't go so far as to say TB is better in all of those phases. WR is iffy too, but that's only because ATL has Julio Jones. I'm willing to give Winston the nod over Matty Ice at this point though, he just seems to get worse as the season progresses, every year.

And the 2003 Colts @ Bucs game was epic!   :)

I stopped at better QB lol

Answer from a Buc fan here: Our OL and DL are both superior to theirs.  Gerald McCoy is in the mix as one of the best 3 techniques in the league.  Our LBs have Lavonte David, one of the top OLBs, and Kwon Alexander is one of the better mikes out there and he's just a rookie.  At WR now that Vincent Jackson is back to pair with Evans, we have more talent at WR than they do.  Our starting #1 TE, Austin Sefarian-Jenkins should be back this week and he's a dangerous target when he's healthy (which has been an issue)  Doug Martin is also one of the top RBs in the league.  Jameis Winston, well, he was the top pick for a reason and he's on pace to have a better year statistically than both Luck and Manning - slightly less TDs than Manning, a lot less INTs.  While I'm not necessatily ready to say he's more talented than Ryan at this moment, Ryan has always been overrated, and Winston projects better.  Any which way you cut it, there isn't a vast talent lack at QB compared to Atlanta.

On offense, we are as well-rounded a team as you're going to find - solid OL, stud RB, 2 top WRs and a TE who should be an upper echelon threat is he could just stay on the field.

On defense, we are strong at LB, and DT.  Where we really lack talent is in our secondary and at DE.  

The Bucs haven't been losing for lack of talent (although our talent-void secondary certainly contributed), but because of youth and new people coming into new systems.