Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's talk about the oline post challenge

Jdubu

What was the oline watchers thoughts of this game played today after the Chud called them out to become better? I was not very impressed with the online today personally but I don't watch the line as much as the game as a whole but I know some really focus on certain players or groups.

Yeah I don't understand why Holmes was benched. He is no pro bowler but I don't think he was playing bad enough to be benched. This coaching staff is strange when it comes to centers.

Holmes doesn't have snap issues and he makes the proper line calls. To me he is a good team blocker

I thought the line was below average today.

They looked slow and methodical.      Seemed to get blown-up on way too many 2nd or 3rd and short.

Too often the play unfolded with the Atlanta defense on the Colt's side of the line of scrimmage.    They got way too much push,  and we seemed to get very little.

I was very disappointed.        

We weren't terrible,  but I was expecting much, MUCH more from that group....

Do you feel this oline is bad because of:

1. Talent

2. Scheme

3. Coaching

It just seems there are a few teams that have pick up guys and replacements and their line doesn't miss a beat. IMHO, it doesn't appear the line coach has taught this group well enough. Of course the majority of lines in the NFL this season have looked horrid at times in a game that is geared towards the offensive side of he ball. Odd

Do you feel this oline is bad because of:

1. Talent

2. Scheme

3. Coaching

It just seems there are a few teams that have pick up guys and replacements and their line doesn't miss a beat. IMHO, it doesn't appear the line coach has taught this group well enough. Of course the majority of lines in the NFL this season have looked horrid at times in a game that is geared towards the offensive side of he ball. Odd

Yes

I'm not a professional scout, so when it comes to talent evaluation there's more I don't know than stuff I do. Still, I have no clue how anyone can think Jonothon Harrison is a guy who should be playing on Sunday's, let alone starting. Botch's snaps, routinely gets beat off the ball, losses at the point at the impact. I think he may have had more tackles than some of Atlanta's defensive linemen today.

I expected more from the O Line. I knew ATL was 3rd vs the run but I thought we could get more push.

As far as the C position.

This was bound to happen going into the season counting on Holmes. He can't stay healthy and he's not very good.

It's not like we are talking about a pass rusher or #1 CB. It should not be year 4 with nothing at C. The answer was right in front of us.

I was calling for him as were many others on the board He is currently helping the Jag's close in on us for 2.5M on a 1 yr deal. I would expect an extension this off season.

Stefen Wiesnewski was sitting right there all we had to do was sign him. We put all our eggs in Holmes's fragile basket again??

I hope we stick with Harrison maybe it will click for him. Holmes is not the answer.

Not their best effort for sure. Hasselbeck was getting hit way too much (which makes him performance, especially his completion % even more impressive). The Falcons are a good defense and with all the focus on Gore from the Colts I figured it would be hard to run the ball, smart strategy make the back up QB beat you.

That slide was bad, ill be looking for it on cmon man tomorrow night, but as someone else posted above he would have probably blown his knee out lol, given his injury history that's probably what he was thinking

he said on the news he thought it was going to be a flag for illegal touching so he was thinking just get down and don't fumble. Good think he caught it because he said he almost batted it down, had he done that it would have been a fumble. Hasselbeck should have never put him in that position to start with.

Atlanta is good versus the run and made our O-line look unspectacular in that department. Gore/Bradshaw got the yards that were available, however.

In the passing game, Hass took a beating, but, as someone noted above, he holds on to the ball and is kind of statuesque.

We kind of won the game in spite of them.

Atlanta is good versus the run and made our O-line look unspectacular in that department. Gore/Bradshaw got the yards that were available, however.

In the passing game, Hass took a beating, but, as someone noted above, he holds on to the ball and is kind of statuesque.

We kind of won the game in spite of them.

I would not take what Bott said too seriously. He just went and posted the exact same thing everybody says about Luck just for giggles. Bott always has some psychological thing going on in his posts.

It may sound terrible but I was glad Hasselback got pressured and hit a few times. So many people thought that it was Luck who held the ball too long (which was sometimes true) and not the O-Line. This game proved otherwise.

@GreggDoyelStar: From @PFF: Colts OL in 3 Hasselbeck starts: 16 pressures allowed (5.33 avg.)

OL in 7 Luck starts: Total of 111 pressures allowed (15.85 avg)

@GreggDoyelStar: From @PFF: Colts OL in 3 Hasselbeck starts: 16 pressures allowed (5.33 avg.)

OL in 7 Luck starts: Total of 111 pressures allowed (15.85 avg)

wow 15 is a lot of pressures. I think this team needs a change in coaching philosophy on the line myself. Wonder which position coaches with some successful lines might be ready to move up into a oline coaching spot that is currently on other teams?

wow 15 is a lot of pressures. I think this team needs a change in coaching philosophy on the line myself. Wonder which position coaches with some successful lines might be ready to move up into a oline coaching spot that is currently on other teams?

It's also talent too. Neither one of our centers is good, and the RG and RT are asterisks. Coaching will fix AC playing poorly and help Mewhort's development, but we still need better talent on the line.

That slide by Reitz was awful. Dude you are the size of a bus and yet you slide? Not only do you slide but you do so without getting the first down. Come on man!

That slide was a microcosm of everything that's wrong with this unit. We have a bunch of punks on the offensive line, no bullies. The only guy who had a mean streak that has played on our line in the Luck Era was Mike McGlynn. He also happened to be the weakest player on the line, so it did no good. Everyone else has that scared look in their eyes, and never get chippy when teams get chippy with them. When Luck is getting destroyed by D linemen, just once I'd like to see one of our guys get in the other team's face or at least cheap shot them back with chop blocks or something (I know most won't agree with that, but it's a reality of football) Basically, no one is scared of our line, and that's a problem

Not their best effort for sure. Hasselbeck was getting hit way too much (which makes him performance, especially his completion % even more impressive). The Falcons are a good defense and with all the focus on Gore from the Colts I figured it would be hard to run the ball, smart strategy make the back up QB beat you.

The worst part about it is he never completed a pass longer than 9 yards and yet he still was constantly hit and hurried. We were short passing practically the whole game and that did not even do much to relieve the issue.

Yes I think we will see that strategy until Luck returns. So much for Gore not facing a stacked box.

Even with our speed at WR I don't think anyone's going to fear Matt unless he can show he can make them pay.

I still think we are a good center away from having a much better OL. not elite or anything but decent.

I love Joe Reitz buti guess if we could find like a 3rd rounder RT would be good so he battles RG with Thornton. Who btw is not as bad as people make him out to be.

That slide was a microcosm of everything that's wrong with this unit. 

lol...no, it's not.  That slide had nothing to do with anything else related to the OL.

We have a bunch of punks on the offensive line, no bullies. The only guy who had a mean streak that has played on our line in the Luck Era was Mike McGlynn. 

Why is that?  Because McGlynn is the only one Grigson publicly talked about having a mean streak?  If that's not it, I'd love to know what you're basing that on.

. Everyone else has that scared look in their eyes, and never get chippy when teams get chippy with them. 

Which camera angle are you looking at to be able to see the eyes of all 5 linemen?

lol...no, it's not. That slide had nothing to do with anything else related to the OL.

Why is that? Because McGlynn is the only one Grigson publicly talked about having a mean streak? If that's not it, I'd love to know what you're basing that on.

Which camera angle are you looking at to be able to see the eyes of all 5 linemen?

The microcosm statement was not meant to be taken literal

McGlynn was the only linemen I've seen during Luck's tenure at QB that actually got in someone's face, or put a little something extra at the end of a play, if he perceived something to be dirty by the other team. And even that didn't happen that often.

Haven't seen anyone else on the line do a thing. Watch whenever we play the Patriots. Their guys initiate contact, shove after plays and talk smack, and the Colts linemen usually just give a half-hearted shove back and look intimidated in their body language.

I believe New England's psychological dominance of our team starts up front. Get a better position coach and get a couple of nasty guys on the line and we'll start winning those battles up front. I don't think the O line is this bad for a lack of talent. It's more attitude, poor coaching and poor execution. If they don't truly believe they can win their individual match ups consistently, then they won't because they've already lost in their mind

And I'm looking at the exclusive O-line facial zoom camera angle :D

EDIT: Another example would be the Pittsburgh game last year. Watch how many times Luck was hit late, after the play. Not one offensive linemen said a peep,got in anyone's face or shoved a defender to let them know it's not going down this way anymore. They just continually looked over at the refs, cried about it and kept picking Luck up off the ground -- Weaksauce