Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting comments from Grigson...

RockThatBlue

He denies Chuck wanting Chud as the OC (should be obvious anyway) and some other comments from Grigsons interview today on Dan Dakichs show... Somebody can post a link to the full interview if they have it( I looked for it and couldn't find it), just saw this and thought it was a bit interesting.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/11/20/9771572/ryan-grigson-hiring-pep-hamilton-2013-one-of-easiest-decisions-colts-made-chuck-pagano

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw anywhere in that article where he says chuck didn't want chud, it talks about it being pretty much impossible for them to hire chud because he was hired before Bruce Arians left. I hated pep Hamilton but it did make a whole lot of sense at the time and he did do alot for the team

I never saw anywhere in that article where he says chuck didn't want chud, it talks about it being pretty much impossible for them to hire chud because he was hired before Bruce Arians left. I hated pep Hamilton but it did make a whole lot of sense at the time and he did do alot for the team

Why did it make a lot of sense? His only qualification was being Luck's OC for one whole yr at Stanford. His resume didn't exactly scream OC for an NFL team. And what exactly do he do for the team besides being a lousy OC?

It's a 35 minute interview. He starts by directly refuting the claims that he's overruled Chuck on personnel, on coaching, on staff, etc. 

What he said coincides with what I believe, which coincides with what I want to believe.

I'd also be willing to accept that he's not being completely honest, but I also find 2nd hand news, and the rumor mill to be such a curious animal.

Here's what I don't get: 

Why go on & on & about how hiring Pep Hamilton was the easiest decision you & Chuck every made & how Pep fit like a glove for Andrew given his familiarity with his playbook/personality at Stanford, but you can't explain or elaborate on why Pep was let go? It's not really a distraction since he's gone now. Plus, why rave about the hire now when it didn't work out? It's like a WallStreet broker accused of embezzling $75,000,00 but the feds could only retrieve $5,000,000 of it.

Translation: Don't use Pep to brag about what a genius you are as a GM when you had to dismiss him because our offense looked anemic or uninspired on the field. You don't gloat when you crash & burn especially when Pagano will be gone next year. All you can do is tell your fan base what your failures have taught you & how these circumstances & setbacks will make you a better GM if you are permitted to stay in INDY. 

If a GM says for instance, I screwed up on Trent Richardson & the experience taught me don't waste a 1st round draft pick on an older back that never shined in Cleveland. Instead, I know now that youth & athletic talent in the draft are more valuable than a veteran RB who has no vision & always runs away from any openings the offensive line creates. 

I respect a guy who has the courage to say I blew it, but please give me more time to fix the situation & redeem myself amongst the fans & ownership. I hate it when the front office acts immune to constructive criticism. It ticks me off. Enough said.

Here's what I don't get: 

Why go on & on & about how hiring Pep Hamilton was the easiest decision you & Chuck every made & how Pep fit like a glove for Andrew given his familiarity with his playbook/personality at Stanford, but you can't explain or elaborate on why Pep was let go? It's not really a distraction since he's gone now. Plus, why rave about the hire now when it didn't work out? It's like a WallStreet broker accused of embezzling $75,000,00 but the feds could only retrieve $5,000,000 of it.

Translation: Don't use Pep to brag about what a genius you are as a GM when you had to dismiss him because our offense looked anemic or uninspired on the field. You don't gloat when you crash & burn especially when Pagano will be gone next year. All you can do is tell your fan base what your failures have taught you & how these circumstances & setbacks will make you a better GM if you are permitted to stay in INDY. 

If a GM says for instance, I screwed up on Trent Richardson & the experience taught me don't waste a 1st round draft pick on an older back that never shined in Cleveland. Instead, I know now that youth & athletic talent in the draft are more valuable than a veteran RB who has no vision & always runs away from any openings the offensive line creates. 

I respect a guy who has the courage to say I blew it, but please give me more time to fix the situation & redeem myself amongst the fans & ownership. I hate it when the front office acts immune to constructive criticism. It ticks me off. Enough said.

Did you listen to the interview?

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/dan-dakich-show/colts-gm-ryan-grigson-talked-dan-dakich-35-minutes-11-20-15

No, I just read the attached article in this thread. I will listen to the link you provided right now though out of respect for Mr. Grigson. 

I remember you being a little upset about Grigson's lack of media availability, especially compared to Polian. Here's 35 minutes of him addressing all these rumors, including direct answers about Pep, Chud, Richardson, etc. 

My post impressions after listening to Dan's interview: 

--Why keep bringing up Bruce Arians? He's not running the show for us 2015 man.

--He feels no blame for Luck getting hurt? Seriously? You are paid to keep Andrew upright for 16-20 weeks? Don't highlight how exceptional Matthew is. If your back QB is in, you screwed up Grigs. 

--Ryan is cool with drafting Dorsett? Best Player available nonsense yet again. When does BPA collide with WR roster surplus Grigson? 

--Do you want to continue the partnership with Chuck Pagano after this year? If Irsay asked your opinion on Pagano once his contract expires, what would you tell him? Status quo or a new direction? 

--The offensive line is a separate entity from the QB. They are Luck's 1st & last line of defense. Yes, Andrew is a vital cog in the mix, but the o-line is the airbag in the car not the driver okay...

--Where in this 35 minute interview did Grigson address directly his failures with regard to Trent Richardson? He didn't. Forget general draft/free agency strategy. Answer the question you were actually asked please.

--I love that our owner, our GM, & our owner are driven to win, but just answer what you are asked & drop the mountain top cliches please...

--Honest, non canned answers Dan? He didn't give any answers. "Grown caboose man act like Grigson does" No, they don't. They are blunt, truthful, & don't side step difficult questions...Sigh...

--He feels no blame for Luck getting hurt? Seriously? You are paid to keep Andrew upright for 16-20 weeks? Don't highlight how exceptional Matthew is. If your back QB is in, you screwed up Grigs. 

--Ryan is cool with drafting Dorsett? Best Player available nonsense yet again. When does BPA collide with WR roster surplus Grigson? 

--Do you want to continue the partnership with Chuck Pagano after this year? If Irsay asked your opinion on Pagano once his contract expires, what would you tell him? Status quo or a new direction? 

--The offensive line is a separate entity from the QB. They are Luck's 1st & last line of defense. Yes, Andrew is a vital cog in the mix, but the o-line is the airbag in the car not the driver okay...

--Where in this 35 minute interview did Grigson address directly his failures with regard to Trent Richardson? He didn't. Forget general draft/free agency strategy. Answer the question you were actually asked please.

--I love that our owner, our GM, & our owner are driven to win, but just answer what you are asked & drop the mountain top cliches please...

--Honest, non canned answers Dan? He didn't give any answers. "Grown caboose man act like Grigson does" No, they don't. They are blunt, truthful, & don't side step difficult questions...Sigh...

I get where you are coming from, but what you want simply cannot be done. It would be blatantly classless for Grigs to just go "Yeah, Pep was useless pile of garbage waiting to be set on fire". You just don't say those things. You don't go out telling the world how bad of a player Trent is. It is much more politically correct to just say it didn't work out and leave it at that. And Luck got injured on a run. So no, nothing Grigson did would have prevented Danny Trevathan from deciding to tackle Luck at that exact angle. 

LOL

I kind of figured you'd respond this way.

I get where you are coming from, but what you want simply cannot be done. It would be blatantly classless for Grigs to just go "Yeah, Pep was useless pile of garbage waiting to be set on fire". You just don't say those things. You don't go out telling the world how bad of a player Trent is. It is much more politically correct to just say it didn't work out and leave it at that. And Luck got injured on a run. So no, nothing Grigson did would have prevented Danny Trevathan from deciding to tackle Luck at that exact angle. 

Not really. Is it that hard to admit that a decision you were initially happy about [hiring Pep Hamilton] didn't pan out? No. You can be tactful without committing career suicide as a GM. 

I just want Grigs to admit he made some drafting mistakes. I'm not calling for the man to be tarred & feathered on the 50 yard line. I really don't think SW1 is being that overzealous or unreasonable. 

Not really. Is it that hard to admit that a decision you were initially happy about [hiring Pep Hamilton] didn't pan out? No. You can be tactful without committing career suicide as a GM. 

I just want Grigs to admit he made some drafting mistakes. I'm not calling for the man to be tarred & feathered on the 50 yard line. I really don't think SW1 is being that overzealous or unreasonable. 

You are.

LOL

I kind of figured you'd respond this way.

All I did is listen to interview that you were kind enough to furnish me with & respond accordingly after hearing Ryan & Dan's demeanor. What's funny is this: You know what I wrote in my previous post was accurate without any embellishment on my part. 

All I did is listen to interview that you were kind enough to furnish me with & respond accordingly after hearing Ryan & Dan's demeanor. What's funny is this: You know what I wrote in my previous post was accurate without any embellishment on my part.

Opinion, not fact.

You are.

In what way am I being unreasonable exactly? If Grigson doesn't want to answer a question posed to him all he has to do is say "no comment or I'd prefer not to delve into that area so as to not disrupt team chemistry." 

Either that or decline the interview entirely. It's really not an earth shattering dilemma to me at all. 

1. I felt he brought up BA simply to make the point he was here when Chud was hired as a head coach in Cleveland so the idea Pagano wanted Chud over Pep was false. Maybe I missed something in the interview but I thought that is why he was brought up.

2. His job isn't to keep Luck healthy. His job is to give the Colts the players they need to win games. I fully get why having Luck healthy is so important to that but at the same time a large part of Lucks hits this year came from Luck either holding the ball too long because guys aren't open or because Luck is running and not sliding. That falls in the shoulders of coaches first to make sure they are emphasizing that. If they are and he's still doing it then it's falls on Luck.

3. I think it's too early to just cast off the Dorrsett pick as this horrible thing. I've compared it all along to the year they took Reggie, that took a little while to pan out and when it did no one wanted a do over on it.

4. I think the Richardson thing has been best to death. He's explained why he made the trade in the past and acknowledged the mistake this year by releasing him. Nothing has changed on that front so why keep hammering him with a question he's already answered?

It really wasn't. I'm not trying to do the whole point by point thing, but this really is a matter of perspective and opinion. 

In what way am I being unreasonable exactly? If Grigson doesn't want to answer a question posed to him all he has to do is say "no comment or I'd prefer not to delve into that area so as to not disrupt team chemistry." 

Either that or decline the interview entirely. It's really not an earth shattering dilemma to me at all. 

What questions didn't he answer? 

There's a difference between not answering questions and not giving the answers you want. It's like you've never even considered the possibility that Grigson actually does enjoy working with Pagano and does think he's the man for the job.

First off...I am not Grigson fan. I think he still thinks he a scout and not a gm.

HOWEVER,

I listened to his interview both live and again just now. I think you're being overly harsh and off base. I felt he answered the questions fairly honestly and to the best he could without throwing anyone under the bus.

I do wish he'd elaborated more about the Pep/Chud decision as well as on Luck.

I also disagree with him not taking blame to a certain degree for the injury but then again, luck was on the run when hit. Did repeated hits contribute...I don't know

I also think he handled the TRICH question pretty well. Even said that his job is to grow and learn from the mistakes that he has made and did so without blaming TRich...which he should have imho.

Also, I do think he's right, as far as the draft goes.....yeah I didn't agree with the pick, but he had a point, if you go second guessing yourself and your scouts, that's when you get in trouble. The best teams, the teams consistently winning, aren't normally reaching in the first. That being said, I still think Brown would have been a huge pick. But then again, Langford, parry and Anderson are studs. And with AJ slacking.....Dorsett is gonna be handy going forward.

Just my 2 cents.

Also, I do think he's right, as far as the draft goes.....yeah I didn't agree with the pick, but he had a point, if you go second guessing yourself and your scouts, that's when you get in trouble. The best teams, the teams consistently winning, aren't normally reaching in the first. That being said, I still think Brown would have been a huge pick. But then again, Langford, parry and Anderson are studs. And with AJ slacking.....Dorsett is gonna be handy going forward.

Just my 2 cents.

Just to speak to this, there's a HUGE difference between scouting and draft philosophy. I definitely agree with the philosophy of sticking to your board and not reaching for need. But your scouting is what your board is based on. I think the scouting can improve, but I don't have a problem with the strategy.

First off...I am not Grigson fan. I think he still thinks he a scout and not a gm.

HOWEVER,

I listened to his interview both live and again just now. I think you're being overly harsh and off base. I felt he answered the questions fairly honestly and to the best he could without throwing anyone under the bus.

I also disagree with him not taking blame to a certain degree for the injury but then again, luck was on the run when hit. Did repeated hits contribute...I don't know

I also think he handled the TRICH question pretty well. Even said that his job is to grow and learn from the mistakes that he has made and did so without blaming TRich...which he should have imho.

Just my 2 cents.

Great post. Agree 100%.

nice post SW1!

1. I felt he brought up BA simply to make the point he was here when Chud was hired as a head coach in Cleveland so the idea Pagano wanted Chud over Pep was false. Maybe I missed something in the interview but I thought that is why he was brought up.

2. His job isn't to keep Luck healthy. His job is to give the Colts the players they need to win games. I fully get why having Luck healthy is so important to that but at the same time a large part of Lucks hits this year came from Luck either holding the ball too long because guys aren't open or because Luck is running and not sliding. That falls in the shoulders of coaches first to make sure they are emphasizing that. If they are and he's still doing it then it's falls on Luck.

3. I think it's too early to just cast off the Dorrsett pick as this horrible thing. I've compared it all along to the year they took Reggie, that took a little while to pan out and when it did no one wanted a do over on it.

4. I think the Richardson thing has been best to death. He's explained why he made the trade in the past and acknowledged the mistake this year by releasing him. Nothing has changed on that front so why keep hammering him with a question he's already answered?

First & foremost, I can accept the fact that other forum members on this site can interpret the radio interview differently than I did. That's perfectly fine. 

I fail to see how Chud is even relevant to why Pep Hamilton was let go. Okay, I get the fact that BA was brought up to illustrate that Ryan can be opened minded & work well with any coach & resolve any disagreements in any philosophies they might have. However, fans only care about 2015 not 2012 so, to me, that reference to BA was a delay & distract tactic. JMO.

My issue with Dorsett has nothing to do with talent or even success or failure but rather why was another WR really necessary on our roster? It wasn't. Surplus pass rushers I get. WRs however, not so much...

The Trent Richardson thing has nothing to do with him. It's more what did you learn from this experience as GM & would you do it again if the same opportunity presented itself? It's not a gotcha question; It's a how well do you adapt question to me...

Grigson's job is to put the best wall of defense in front of Luck as he can. True, coaches are responsible for instructing players about alignment & gap control & injuries can creep up anytime anywhere during the season, but Todd Herremans not working out well for INDY is on Ryan since he was associated with the Eagles franchise prior to landing in Indianapolis. I will give Grigs credit for Parry & Anderson. Nicely done. However, in my book, no GM gets a complete pass on their mistakes at this juncture to me. The NFL is a results oriented business for GMs, HCs, & players no exceptions. 

HOWEVER,

Just my 2 cents.

How am I throwing a GM "Under the bus" when I point out my biggest pet peeve with Grigson: His CIA double speak which tells you nothing? Dan asked Ryan more than once in that interview is there any validity to the rumor that there is tension between you & Chuck because you are interfering with coaching decisions on the field? Then, Ryan brings up Bruce Arians. Huh? What? Did you not hear the question? I get that everybody inside LOS zones out the media & it's accompanying distractions. What bearing does BA hiring Chud have any relevancy to your relationship with Pagano? Answer: Zero. 

Let me give you an example: When Bill Polian was our GM, he eventually admitted that he made a mistake thinking that QB Curtis Painter could hold down the fort & win games in 2011 when Peyton Manning underwent his neck surgeries & rehab. Now, I had my issues with Bill when the media challenged his decision making sometimes, but I respected him because he came clean that he was wrong about the trust he placed in Painter to continue winning games. Here's my point: Admitting your mistakes is a sign of strength not weakness & why can't Ryan just saw that drafting Richardson was not my finest hour, but you live & you learn right? 

Your point about Grigs is a better scout than a GM is a solid one csmopar is a very good one that I agree with 100% BTW. 

The one thing I loved about Bill Polian was this: He was very direct in Polian's corner. He would often repeat the question or say your question is misguided, rephrase it, & tell you why he thinks the way he does. Ryan doesn't do that. He either inserts a cliche or answers a question no one asked. Part of that is difference in experience in the front office between the 2 men & part of it is Grigs goes for finesse too much. If you'd rather not broach a subject just tell me flat out Ryan. I respect that because at least I know you heard my question as a NFL reporter. 

How am I throwing a GM "Under the bus" when I point out my biggest pet peeve with Grigson: His CIA double speak which tells you nothing? Dan asked Ryan more than once in that interview is there any validity to the rumor that there is tension between you & Chuck because you are interfering with coaching decisions on the field? Then, Ryan brings up Bruce Arians. Huh? What? Did you not hear the question? I get that everybody inside LOS zones out the media & it's accompanying distractions. What bearing does BA hiring Chud have any relevancy to your relationship with Pagano? Answer: Zero.

Let me give you an example: When Bill Polian was our GM, he eventually admitted that he made a mistake thinking that QB Curtis Painter could hold down the fort & win games in 2011 when Peyton Manning underwent his neck surgeries & rehab. Now, I had my issues with Bill when the media challenged his decision making sometimes, but I respected him because he came clean that he was wrong about the trust he placed in Painter to continue winning games. Here's my point: Admitting your mistakes is a sign of strength not weakness & why can't Ryan just saw that drafting Richardson was not my finest hour, but you live & you learn right?

Your point about Grigs is a better scout than a GM is a solid one csmopar is a very good one that I agree with 100% BTW.

The one thing I loved about Bill Polian was this: He was very direct in Polian's corner. He would often repeat the question or say your question is misguided, rephrase it, & tell you why he thinks the way he does. Ryan doesn't do that. He either inserts a cliche or answers a question no one asked. Part of that is difference in experience in the front office between the 2 men & part of it is Grigs goes for finesse too much. If you'd rather not broach a subject just tell me flat out Ryan. I respect that because at least I know you heard my question as a NFL reporter.

"I think you're being overly harsh and off base. I felt he answered the questions fairly honestly and to the best he could without throwing anyone under the bus."

That is the paragraph you misread.

But at least you got to express your displeasure with the method by which he told you it was none of our business.

Opinion, not fact.

Yes, I agree BC. People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts. However, what have I said in my original post that is misleading when I bullet pointed the interview highlights? 

Bruce Arians has no bearing on how well Ryan & Chuck get along do they? I can accept that GMs make mistakes in free agency like the Trent Richardson trade, but the 1 thing I refuse to tolerate are GMs who dodge questions especially when successful trades are part of your job description. It's right in his front office wheel house. What he learned if anything from making that move. 

Remember when Pagano said "we will address the o-line or someone else will be addressing it?" GMs bring in the talent & review every position do they not? Pagano's success during the season is directly linked to the guards & center Grigs brings in for workouts correct. The o-line is separate from how well the QB performs or what his tendencies might be in the pocket. 

In addition to Dan asking Grigson twice about the validity of the rumor about interference with coaching decisions on the field, Ryan was also asked twice a question about Pagano's future with the team next year. All Ryan needs to say is the ultimate decision with both Chuck & I as well as this coaching staff resides with owner Jim Irsay. I can't answer that. Only Jimmy can at season's end. 

"I think you're being overly harsh and off base. I felt he answered the questions fairly honestly and to the best he could without throwing anyone under the bus."

That is the paragraph you misread.

But at least you got to express your displeasure with the method by which he told you it was none of our business.

My point with bringing up Polian's management style in contrast to Grigson's had nothing to do with being smug, self righteous, or condescending toward you at all BC. 

I was using it as an example as to how Bill put out small fires or bones of fan contention among our fan base vs Grigson who pours gasoline on problems by refusing to address our primary concerns.

Say what you want about Bill, but you always understood his thought process even if you disagreed with it. Ryan, on the other hand, no one can get a read on like Chip Kelly 2.0. So be it.  

You are.

No, I am not. I am simply wondering why a well paid GM chooses not to answer questions Mr. Irsay pays him handsomely for. 

Okay, perhaps some of Ryan's responses don't meet with my approval sure, but anytime the interviewer repeats a question that is pretty straight forward, the GM is playing a shell game hoping you don't remain persistent & find the missing pearl & address the pink elephant in the room. 

He's not even original with his canned lines of delay & distract like "there's a lot of football to be played yet before the dust settles". Stuff like that. 

First & foremost, I can accept the fact that other forum members on this site can interpret the radio interview differently than I did. That's perfectly fine. 

I fail to see how Chud is even relevant to why Pep Hamilton was let go. Okay, I get the fact that BA was brought up to illustrate that Ryan can be opened minded & work well with any coach & resolve any disagreements in any philosophies they might have. However, fans only care about 2015 not 2012 so, to me, that reference to BA was a delay & distract tactic. JMO.

My issue with Dorsett has nothing to do with talent or even success or failure but rather why was another WR really necessary on our roster? It wasn't. Surplus pass rushers I get. WRs however, not so much...

The Trent Richardson thing has nothing to do with him. It's more what did you learn from this experience as GM & would you do it again if the same opportunity presented itself? It's not a gotcha question; It's a how well do you adapt question to me...

Grigson's job is to put the best wall of defense in front of Luck as he can. True, coaches are responsible for instructing players about alignment & gap control & injuries can creep up anytime anywhere during the season, but Todd Herremans not working out well for INDY is on Ryan since he was associated with the Eagles franchise prior to landing in Indianapolis. I will give Grigs credit for Parry & Anderson. Nicely done. However, in my book, no GM gets a complete pass on their mistakes at this juncture to me. The NFL is a results oriented business for GMs, HCs, & players no exceptions.

the only time I heard BA brought up is when Grigson was explaining that the idea Pagano wanted Chud over Pep to start with was false. He gave the timeline which included that BA was still here when Chud was hired as the head coach in Cleveland. Maybe I missed something else. As for Chud and Pep bring let go, having Chud here had to make that decision easier because you had someone who could step in and do the job. If you don't have that firing a coach in the middle of the season is a lot harder to do.

As for Dorrsett if he was truly the best player on the board then that's what you do. Again, when Reggie was picked the Colts were blasted for drafting a WR they didn't need when they passed on about three corners and they needed a corner. Fast forward four years those corners were all out of the NFL and Reggie was on his way to a Hall of Fame career. When ignore your board that people spent months making to reach for need is when you get in trouble with the draft. Grigson has admitted In the past to reaching on Werner and wasn't going to do that again. He trusted his board and time will tell, beyond this season, if he was right or wrong. For what it's worth I saw one story that said the Pats wanted Dorrsett bad and were trying really hard to get him so it's not like the Colts were the only team who saw value in him.

I think the fact he hasn't over reacted to another player getting hurt and trading a first for a replacement shows he learned something. Let's not forget it's the same moxy that caused him to trade for Trent that caused him to trade for Vante too. Your going to miss someone as a GM and it's fair to point those out but you also have to acknowledge the hits to. As for the interview there was a part in there where Grigson talked about learning while he's been here so I think that was his way of saying hey I've made my mistakes and I do my best to not repeat them.

Again, Grigson job isn't just to protect Luck. His job is to put together a football team that wins games. He could have the best oline in football but if they weren't winning games he would still get fired. While I agree protecting Luck goes a long way towards helping them win games it's not the only thing or even the main thing Irsay is going to judge him on. He's going to judge him on is the team winning like I think they should. Also, Luck's injuries have come on a lot of plays where he holds the ball too long or because he doesn't get down when he runs. Those aren't the Oline's fault. Those are either the coaches fault for not working on those things with Luck or Luck's for not listening.

Honestly, Will Carrol who is an injury export explained Luck's latest injury pretty well, it has to do with how he got hit and the position his body was in and torque it put on his body, it wasn't a build up thing it was freak play that probably couldn't have been prevented unless Luck got down before the hit which he didn't. People have been saying for years he needs to learn to slide, this is exactly why.

The line has been giving Luck the fourth most time in the league to throw the ball. They have gotten remarkably better since they changed the lineup in the Titans game. They aren't perfect but they are getting better. The real problem is that these high powered recieving unit hasn't gotten open. Hilton is good but not producing like what you expect from a number one WR, Moncrief started hot but has disappeared. Johnson and Luck aren't in the same book let alone sane page, Dorsett is hurt, Allen is MIA, Fleener has been ok at best, and our screen game is a joke. Honestly, after Hilton Luck's best two options as of late have been Whalen and Doyle. If the recievers would start playing the way we thought they would coming into the season our offense would drastically improve.

Grigson is far from perfect but all due respect I don't think you are fairly representing him in this interview. I think you have decided what you want to hear and anything short of that and then Grigson is dodging or deflecting things. I don't feel that is what's going on. I would agree he's putting some spin on somethings but I'd expect any GM in sports to that, his predecessor was the master of it.

No, I am not. I am simply wondering why a well paid GM chooses not to answer questions Mr. Irsay pays him handsomely for. 

Okay, perhaps some of Ryan's responses don't meet with my approval sure, but anytime the interviewer repeats a question that is pretty straight forward, the GM is playing a shell game hoping you don't remain persistent & find the missing pearl & address the pink elephant in the room. 

He's not even original with his canned lines of delay & distract like "there's a lot of football to be played yet before the dust settles". Stuff like that.

unless Grigson isn't answering those questions when Irsay ask them it doesn't matter and we have no way of knowing how Grigson does or doesn't answer Irsay.

I typically appreciate your perspective (even if I don't agree), but I think you are way out of bounds in this. DD asked pertinent questions and Grigs gave as unempty answers as a guy in his job can.

My take away: either Grigs is a liar or Holder, et al. are blowing the tension out of proportion. My read between the lines is that Grigs is abrasive and that results in antimosity but not toxicity.