Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Receiving trio

Your starting receiving trio  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be starting at receiver?

• TY, Johnson, Moncrief
    • TY, Whalen, Moncrief
    • TY, Moncrief, Dorsett
    • TY, Johnson, Whalen
    • TY, Whalen, Dorsett
    • TY, Johnson, Dorsett

Gotta feed the hot hands

TY

Moncrief

Whalen

Johnson only was visible in the Texans game which is expected cause everyone plays with a bit more "fire" against their old team

But idk, I just don't think the chemistry is there with Luck & Johnson

Hasselbeck targets Johnson way more. We'll see what happens Sunday though

How emberassing is it for players like Johnson, and Cole? They sign for all that money, obviously knowing they ain't as good as they once were, and then show at training camp that their skills are not at the level they were signed for. Then the coaches have an "oh crap" moment trying to figure out what to do. I'd be emberassed.

I think we will see some Andre Johnson with MH throwing the football.  Lets see if he can catch the ball.  I really have not seen him used in any way like Houston did.  He should be running some of the old Reggie routes.  

That said, all receivers will be targeted by MH.  I need to see Bradshaw catching passes out of the backfield rather than running behind the center.....

With Hasselbeck in there I don't think Whalen will have the impact he has had recently. I'd stick with TY, AJ and Moncrief and try to get AJ in the game plan more. The one I think will start showing up the most though is Coby Fleener. I think he'll end this season with good numbers the rest of the way.

I hope against Atlanta we see a lot more two TE sets.  one they have a tough run D so the extra blockers will be helpful and two, TEs have been known to have good games against the Falcons D recently.  I like Jacob tamme a lot as a TE but if he cna get 10 catches for 100+ yards, Fleener or Allen should be able to do well.

How emberassing is it for players like Johnson, and Cole? They sign for all that money, obviously knowing they ain't as good as they once were, and then show at training camp that their skills are not at the level they were signed for. Then the coaches have an "oh crap" moment trying to figure out what to do. I'd be emberassed.

I'm sure they're laughing all the way to the bank.

They aren't playing bad, to be honest, they're just not playing up to their contracts.

TY, Moncrief,AJ, Dorsett, whalen and even Bray have different skill sets. Its up to the OC as to getting the most out of THE GROUP. I think some of them will "fit" better and worse against different defenses and specific situations within a game. Down and distance, position on the field, offensive strategy, and even the game clock SHOULD be in the decision. The defensive philosophy, scheme, and individual players should also be in the equation. Its situational football... Or should be. Sometimes you think receiver A will have a big day, when in fact he is shut down and receiver D thrives.

I also think Fleener and Bradshaw need to be in this discussion becausecthey effect the WRs.

With the receivers we have and Fleener,allen,Doyle, and bradshaw , there is no reason a good OC shouldnt be able to tind some mismatch in the passing game.

We've all discussed the types of plays. Now we just need ALL these chess pieces used to their strengths along with targeting opponents defensive weaknesss. Have a plan B thru D if A doesnt work. Its not rocket science.

Whalen has earned the right to play slot...he is better there than any other WR we have there.

Dorsett has done diddly and should not be in the rotation this year...he doesn't know his way around the football field yet...he is a pathetic deep threat (running his route) compared to TY...he is nowhere near as good as Moncrief at running routes and getting open in coverage...he is nowhere near as good as Griff in the slot running his route and making catches with good hands in traffic...and he is not as experienced as Andre running a route and making some good blocks...Dorsett is probably a total waste at trying to make a block.

And he is probably not as good as Bray in the return game, which Dorsett does only half-heartedly.

We have no place to put him this year unless the coaches (with Grigson pressure to look good) play him just for the sake of getting him some reps this year.

we all want to see Dorsett and Whalen and Moncrief but the reality is they are unproven in critical situation football, Andre is a vet and has been there he knows this league, he may not run the most crisp routes anymore, he may not be as fast, but his knowledge is priceless for the young guys to soak up, if we make a playoff run look for AJ to heat up

T.Y., Whalen, and Moncrief. Whalen has been making plays for the Colts, so his recent success is nothing new. He's earned his keep. Moncrief took a big leap this year and has the ability to be the #1 receiver. Hilton has clearly learned from Wayne because he's become the go to guy that you can always count on.

It's T.Y, Moncrief, Whalen for now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Dorsett overtake Whalen.

For this year, Whalen's chemistry with Luck, sure hands, and clutch factor should have him getting the majority of the snaps. He is a good wr and could be the 3rd receiver on most teams.

That being said, Dorsett has #1 receiver potential and will be taking Whalen's (Johnson's) spot next year if not sooner. His hands aren't bad, he's the fastest player on the roster, and he looked to be progressing quickly before he got hurt.

I think that we ought to hold on to Whalen and Quan Bray and go into next year with the same guys we have now minus Johnson. Even if we lose one of our starting TEs to FA, we will still be just fine as far as pass catchers go...

There is a real possibility that T.Y., Moncrief, Dorsett is the best trio in football next season

Whalen has earned the right to play slot...he is better there than any other WR we have there.

Dorsett has done diddly and should not be in the rotation this year...he doesn't know his way around the football field yet...he is a pathetic deep threat (running his route) compared to TY...he is nowhere near as good as Moncrief at running routes and getting open in coverage...he is nowhere near as good as Griff in the slot running his route and making catches with good hands in traffic...and he is not as experienced as Andre running a route and making some good blocks...Dorsett is probably a total waste at trying to make a block.

And he is probably not as good as Bray in the return game, which Dorsett does only half-heartedly.

We have no place to put him this year unless the coaches (with Grigson pressure to look good) play him just for the sake of getting him some reps this year.[/quote

Very insightful post. You don't like Dorsett. Whalen who has cleared waivers how many times? He is the more talented player? No one else in the league knows what they are missing. Yeah ok

Just a straight player hater.

Very insightful post. You don't like Dorsett. Whalen who has cleared waivers how many times? He is the more talented player? No one else in the league knows what they are missing. Yeah ok

Just a straight player hater.

Says the guy bashing the person that's playing better. Lol

I don't get how anyone thinks Dorsett should be starting right now.

He has a loooong way to go to beat out Whalen right now with his inability to

stay healthy, route running, questionable hands and playbook knowledge.

Next year Dorsett could easily beat out Andre for his spot if he works on some of

his deficiencies.