Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Saban

Detectacon

At the college level no doubt about it. i know Pete Carroll didn't do a good job his first go around at the NFL level. I would rather have someone we know is succeful at the NFL level than spin the bottle with Saban.

Ok, that's fair.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twice this year i mentioned on this forum that I heard from a former player who is close to the organization that Saban would be coaching the Colts next year. The first time he mentioned it was after the first game and said Saban flew up here twice on Irsay's plane. I agree with Superman that he does run a pro offense. He became successful by surrounding himself with very good assistant coaches that comes with time. I really like Chuck but I think his downfall was not surrounding himself with good  assistants.

Saban would sure bring a great deal of notoriety. I think a billionaire like Irsay could afford him. 

Twice this year i mentioned on this forum that I heard from a former player who is close to the organization that Saban would be coaching the Colts next year. The first time he mentioned it was after the first game and said Saban flew up here twice on Irsay's plane. I agree with Superman that he does run a pro offense. He became successful by surrounding himself with very good assistant coaches that comes with time. I really like Chuck but I think his downfall was not surrounding himself with good  assistants.

Saban would sure bring a great deal of notoriety. I think a billionaire like Irsay could afford him.

JUICY!!!

Right. He's peaked at Alabama, nowhere to go but down. And that's going to happen. Recruiting is nonstop, lots of your success is out of your control, once you're out of the top four your season is basically over, the NCAA is ridiculous, etc. Saban strikes me as the kind of guy who needs to move on to the next thing from time to time. 

He's 64. If I'm right about him wanting something new, this is probably the last real shot he has at it, over the next year or so.

Well, if Saban were somehow to get a shot at the Colts, there's more to consider then money. Seems to me he's of the caliber of going out on top when retiring from anything. Dealing with a GM, Owner, and an exceptional organization as the Colts & their records over the years may sway him one way or the other. I really believe he'd have to think long & hard as to what to do, if offered by Irsay.

As a person who lives in Bama, I'd fear for any Colts representatives who enter the state with intent to lure away St. Nick.

He's making upwards of $7M now, Irsay may have to offer partial ownership to get him to sign. 

This is an interesting take on Saban, from a respected authority (FootballScoop.com).  It does not say where Saban will land, but he will not likely be coaching in Tuscaloosa next year-

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-leave-alabama-2016/

And it is reported his wife went behind his back and set up the Dolphins to Crimson Tide move.  According to this article, he wrote a check his wife would not cash-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/19/sabans-wife-had-a-key-role-in-him-leaving-the-dolphins/

BTW, they also predict Tom Coughlin will finally be out in NY and Brian Kelly will leave Notre Dame to coach the Giants next year.

http://footballscoop.com/news/footballscoop-predicts-biggest-coaching-surprises-of-2015/

Pete Carroll and others failed their first go through as NFL HC then later succeeded.  Nick could adapt to the new NFL and win. Whether his wife would let him go to Indy is another kettle of fish.

This is an interesting take on Saban, from a respected authority (FootballScoop.com).  It does not say where Saban will land, but he will nor likely be coaching in Tuscaloosa next year-

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-leave-alabama-2016/

And it is reported his wife went behind his back and set up the Dolphins to Crimson Tide move.  According to this article, he wrote a check his wife would not cash-

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/19/sabans-wife-had-a-key-role-in-him-leaving-the-dolphins/

BTW, they also predict Tom Coughlin will finally be out in NY and Brian Kelly will leave Notre Dame to coach the Giants next year.

http://footballscoop.com/news/footballscoop-predicts-biggest-coaching-surprises-of-2015/

Pete Carroll and others failed their first go through as NFL HC then later succeeded.  Nick could adapt to the new NFL and win. Whether his wife would let him go to Indy is another kettle of fish.

Bill Billichik failed his first time through as well.  Saban could be one of the best coaches ever in the NFL if he leaves ALABAMA right now.  He will have 20 years to coach (coach till hes 75). like landry.  he will also make the hall of fame one day.

This is an interesting take on Saban, from a respected authority (FootballScoop.com).  It does not say where Saban will land, but he will not likely be coaching in Tuscaloosa next year-

Sounds like the typical Florio peice of crap.

Apparently Bob Kravitz has a feeling that Irsay is going to hire Nick Saban as our next head coach. He also suggests that if Irsay were to hire Saban that he would have to give him control. This would result in Grigson's exit or at least a lesser role than he has now. I am torn on this one. He is a great college coach and his stint with the Dolphins was less than stellar. However, I also feel that the Dolphins personnel is not at the same level as ours. Only time will tell I suppose.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/11/11/9716376/nick-saban-to-the-colts-speculation-continues-to-grow

Other than Andrew Luck,  I'm not sure what personnel you think the Colts have that the Dolphins of roughly 10-12 years ago didn't?

Also,  don't get too worked up about his stint in Miami...

Remember,  neither Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll did all that well their first time either....

Bill Billichik failed his first time through as well.  Saban could be one of the best coaches ever in the NFL if he leaves ALABAMA right now.  He will have 20 years to coach (coach till hes 75). like landry.  he will also make the hall of fame one day.

Your math is off

Noooooooooo..... leave saban alone.. If we're going to hire some one and give them full/more control then we might as well give our current coach more control. ... That would seem to be the real problem. . Then if that doesn't work you know to get rid of him then, along with gm... I love my Colts, and I love my tide this move would hurt both clubs imo and I don't want that.

Noooooooooo..... leave saban alone.. If we're going to hire some one and give them full/more control then we might as well give our current coach more control. ... That would seem to be the real problem. . Then if that doesn't work you know to get rid of him then, along with gm... I love my Colts, and I love my tide this move would hurt both clubs imo and I don't want that.

Give Chuck total control?? I could see Ol Chuck trying to figure out salaries and the salary cap.....

Priority:

1. Sean Peyton

2. Nick Saban

3. Chudzinski

4. Gruden

5. M. Shannahan

Mine would be:

1. Harbaugh but I know he wont leave Michigan.

2. Gruden - Cant see him leaving that easy gig of Monday Night Football so my first 2 choices are pipe dreams.

3. Chud - I think he would be an excellent HeadCoach for us. This is realistic.

4. I could roll with Saban here but I would take those other 3 over him without question.

5. Sean Payton - Possible, he may need a change of venue and with a QB like Luck that could be similar to what he and Brees has had.

Yeah, just what we need. A 65 year old failed NFL head coach who might be here a couple of years, will tear the franchise apart, and leave. No thanks. If you are going to go after a college go, pry Harbaugh from Michigan. Younger and proven he can win in NFL.

That's a pipe dream. Harbaugh ain't leaving Michigan after one year.

Mine would be:

1. Harbaugh but I know he wont leave Michigan.

2. Gruden - Cant see him leaving that easy gig of Monday Night Football so my first 2 choices are pipe dreams.

3. Chud - I think he would be an excellent HeadCoach for us. This is realistic.

4. I could roll with Saban here but I would take those other 3 over him without question.

5. Sean Payton - Possible, he may need a change of venue and with a QB like Luck that could be similar to what he and Brees has had.

Out of curiosity, why would you take Chud and Gruden over Saban?

Out of curiosity, why would you take Chud and Gruden over Saban?

I just didn't like Saban's tenure in Miami and the way it went. Maybe I am looking too much into it? Plus he's 64 years old, maybe it's his age too. Gruden has won a SB and loves Andrew Luck and is still fairly young so he is a proven winner at the NFL level, Chud is a terrific play caller on the NFL level and is young as well.

I just didn't like Saban's tenure in Miami and the way it went. Maybe I am looking too much into it? Plus he's 64 years old, maybe it's his age too. Gruden has won a SB and loves Andrew Luck and is still fairly young so he is a proven winner at the NFL level, Chud is a terrific play caller on the NFL level and is young as well.

Agreed. Gruden would be excellent for Luck in terms of fixing his mechanical and mental issues. He would also bring a lot of discipline to the team.

Twice this year i mentioned on this forum that I heard from a former player who is close to the organization that Saban would be coaching the Colts next year. The first time he mentioned it was after the first game and said Saban flew up here twice on Irsay's plane. I agree with Superman that he does run a pro offense. He became successful by surrounding himself with very good assistant coaches that comes with time. I really like Chuck but I think his downfall was not surrounding himself with good assistants.

Who's the player?

Obviously if Saban were to become the coach, I wouldn't be rooting against him the way the Eagles fans seem to be rooting against Chip Kelly. But as of right now, I'm strongly opposed to him being the coach. Too much uncertainty and too much money honestly. I realize Irsay can afford it, but he'd at very least have to match the salary that Saban gets at Bama for him to consider leaving. Which means as soon as he enters the league, he'd basically be making the same amount as Belichick. That just seems crazy to me.

Other than Andrew Luck,  I'm not sure what personnel you think the Colts have that the Dolphins of roughly 10-12 years ago didn't?

Also,  don't get too worked up about his stint in Miami...

Remember,  neither Bill Belichick or Pete Carroll did all that well their first time either....

What I like about Saban is his ability to methodically organize a specific blueprint for his organization and then lead his staff to apply that blueprint week to week with gameplans that take something away from the opponent.  It's nice to talk about having a great locker room, but I think I'm ready to have a great thinker.

I'm also convinced that the only way to truly motivate professional athletes is by having the majority of your players be just a little uncomfortable with their job security.  That is exactly how it works in New England. 

Sounds like the typical Florio peice of crap.

I like his site to get information, but Florio is a horrible writer. I wish he would leave the writing to others.

Also, didn't Irsay want Saban as head coach when he was at Michigan State, but Polian would not give him the amount of control Saban wanted?

What I like about Saban is his ability to methodically organize a specific blueprint for his organization and then lead his staff to apply that blueprint week to week with gameplans that take something away from the opponent.  It's nice to talk about having a great locker room, but I think I'm ready to have a great thinker.

I'm also convinced that the only way to truly motivate professional athletes is by having the majority of your players be just a little uncomfortable with their job security.  That is exactly how it works in New England. 

I think it works in New England because BB has the track record to make it stand up.

Who questions the guy with HIS track record?       Only someone who doesn't get it....

I think it works in New England because BB has the track record to make it stand up.

Who questions the guy with HIS track record?       Only someone who doesn't get it....

Very fair point.  Why I think it could work for Saban without an established NFL track record is simply the QB.  You need to win pretty early, and Luck assures that will happen.  

I'm not saying he is the guy, but I think I lean more toward a Saban personality than I do a Gruden.  My impression of Saban is that players know they have to perform or be replaced and that they have supreme confidence that they are prepared to be successful - to the smallest detail.  Not a lot of drama.  Gruden is a lot of drama and I think that wears on players.

I say we go the Ebbsfleet route, it would be the only way to keep the forum happy. Irsay sells the team to the forum posters as a group who then GM via poll. That is to say all decisions are made using a forum poll.

I would say this is somewhat sarcastic but I know there's posters who'd be all for it.

Hahahahaaa. You couldn't be more correct. What's the Colts worth? Over a billion, I'm sure. Yeah, let's write that check now!

:)