Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Saban

Detectacon

Apparently Bob Kravitz has a feeling that Irsay is going to hire Nick Saban as our next head coach. He also suggests that if Irsay were to hire Saban that he would have to give him control. This would result in Grigson's exit or at least a lesser role than he has now. I am torn on this one. He is a great college coach and his stint with the Dolphins was less than stellar. However, I also feel that the Dolphins personnel is not at the same level as ours. Only time will tell I suppose.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/11/11/9716376/nick-saban-to-the-colts-speculation-continues-to-grow

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO you don't hire a college coach to an NFL team because he's good at recruiting and has a good system.  And to me, that is what Saban is he can find and recruit great talent for his system and he has a good system for college.  But we have seen too many examples of college coaches bringing their system to the NFL and it doesn't work.  NFL coaches are too smart and too savy they will figure out how to attack a system and if the coach doesn't know how to adapt, they will be dead in the water.

Apparently Bob Kravitz has a feeling that Irsay is going to hire Nick Saban as our next head coach. He also suggests that if Irsay were to hire Saban that he would have to give him control. This would result in Grigson's exit or at least a lesser role than he has now. I am torn on this one. He is a great college coach and his stint with the Dolphins was less than stellar. However, I also feel that the Dolphins personnel is not at the same level as ours. Only time will tell I suppose.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/11/11/9716376/nick-saban-to-the-colts-speculation-continues-to-grow

Nick Saban would be a great choice, but he wouldn't put up with Grigson's antics for a New York minute.  Grigson would either have to learn to salute smartly and say "Yes, sir!" or pack up his stuff and hit the road. It would be pretty hard to tear Saban away from 'Bama, though. You can bet the Tide alumni would be coughing up some crazy money to get him to stay, especially if he wins another national title. 

I think Saban said that he thought he flamed out with the phins because he didn't have a QB.

Honestly I don't find him all that impressive of a candidate.  The success at college and lack of success in the NFL is a huge part of that.  

I don't think his system would be all that successful in the NFL and our personnel doesn't fit his system either.  Granted I don't know a ton about him but it seems to me that the guy is a little old school and likes to pound the rock 20 to 30 times a game.  Nothing in particular wrong with that, but our personnel is heavily invested in WR and QB.  Not OL and RB.  

I don't have a problem with someone who wants to make us better in these areas, but if you are bringing in a coach that is attached to running the ball a lot to our team now, it's not going to work very well.

Also I tend to think that a run based offense works better at the college game.  It can work in the NFL but it's more suited to college.

Not sure what Kravitz sees. Is he just rehashing old news, basing this theory on...once upon a time Jimmy considered Nick to be his coach?

I'm not sure why an owner would think that a college HC would make a good NFL GM, which is what Kravitz is basically saying.

I can't see it happening.

Kravitz admits he roots for the story. Nick Saban is a sexy name and will demand plenty of coverage if Irsay decided to go that direction. Sometimes, I think Kravitz is trying to manufacture the story artificially.

I doubt if Irsay truly even knows what he's going to do at season's end.

Kravitz admits he roots for the story. Nick Saban is a sexy name and will demand plenty of coverage if Irsay decided to go that direction. Sometimes, I think Kravitz is trying to manufacture the story artificially.

I doubt if Irsay truly even knows what he's going to do at season's end.

Couldn't agree more. Saban is a God in Tuscaloosa, and aside from the opportunity to coach an actual good QB for once in his career, why would he leave? On top of that, he's the highest paid coach in college football at $6.9mil per year. Irsay isn't going to match that, it would instantly put Saban in the top 10 percentile of the NFL coaches, and he's completely unproven. The Eagles did it with Kelly (which was dumb), but I don't expect Irsay to.

I wonder if that means that he would bring Kiffin with him. But the lack of a franchise QB is what sent him packing. He said had he gotten Drew Bree's, he'd probably still be coaching in the NFL.

My biggest fear would be that'd he come in and try and draft his Alabama players that are often overrated. A 2016 Saban mock might look like:

1. Reggie Ragland, ILB

2. A'Shawn Robinson, DT

2. Derrick Henry, RB

3.(forfeited to move up in the 2nd)

4. Ryan Kelly, C

He'd need to be "leashed" with a GM that will know when to buy into what he says and when to step in and say "No we're not doing that". Don't want Chip Kelly 2.0

I'd love to have Saban with us. I'm a big Alabama fan, and I don't get the hate for him. He turned that program around completely. Just because his time in Miami wasn't the best doesn't mean it wouldn't work out this time, and in fact, I feel like the overall mindset of the Colts with OLine and defense would change completely.

That thing we all seem to scream for...

IMO you don't hire a college coach to an NFL team because he's good at recruiting and has a good system.  And to me, that is what Saban is he can find and recruit great talent for his system and he has a good system for college.  But we have seen too many examples of college coaches bringing their system to the NFL and it doesn't work.  NFL coaches are too smart and too savy they will figure out how to attack a system and if the coach doesn't know how to adapt, they will be dead in the water.

Saban isn't Chip Kelly, bringing an alternative style to the league. He runs as close to a pro style offense and defense as you can find in college football (maybe Ohio State), and that's part of the reason they always get beat by really good spread teams. Saban's system would be fine.

My problem with him is the exact opposite. Look at the linebacker and secondary players that Alabama sends to the league. They're all big thumpers who can't cover. The NFL isn't going to the spread, but there's obviously more and more passing, including quick passing in short yardage. Big thumpers aren't ideal. His style is ideal for the NFL from 10-15 years ago. It's starting to be phased out.

I would most likely rather keep Pagano and keep Grigsons (knows) lol out of his business!  If Pagano must go, I think Sean Payton would be great for Luck and bring life to our offense.  If neither of those two than Saban as a third alternate wouldn't be a bad option, but I just don't see it happening, and I would assume there are other options available

Not sure I like it or not, but with Saban, it does fit the idea Irsay had for this team when Luck first arrived. With Grigson, Arians and Pep, philosophically, it somehow turned into something completely different.

If the options are Saban or rolling with Grigson and Chuck, I suppose I would go Saban.

Couldn't agree more. Saban is a God in Tuscaloosa, and aside from the opportunity to coach an actual good QB for once in his career, why would he leave? On top of that, he's the highest paid coach in college football at $6.9mil per year. Irsay isn't going to match that, it would instantly put Saban in the top 10 percentile of the NFL coaches, and he's completely unproven. The Eagles did it with Kelly (which was dumb), but I don't expect Irsay to.

Tuscaloosa is a fish bowl. You lose 2 games and the season is a failure.

As a person who lives in Bama, I'd fear for any Colts representatives who enter the state with intent to lure away St. Nick.

He's making upwards of $7M now, Irsay may have to offer partial ownership to get him to sign.

He's paying Andre Johnson that much lol. People need to stop thinking that is a lot of money to Irsay. He probably has a Jimi Hendrix guitar worth more than that.

Saban? Good grief gag me now. Id go after Harbaugh before that bum. After all this nonsense and leaked rumors I'd tell Irsay and the Colts to shove it. What kind of top tiered coach would want to deal with this micro managing nonsense?

Bum? How in the world is Saban a bum? Maybe a dooosh, but the guy can coach.

No, thank you.

Great college coach, not so much in the NFL.

Plus, he is royalty in Alabama.  Why leave?

Nick Saban 15-17 Dolphins

Bill Belichick 36-44 Browns

I'm not saying he is going to be BB, but people really need to put his stint in Miami in perspective. If you don't have a QB in this league you are just waiting around to get fired.

Tuscaloosa is a fish bowl. You lose 2 games and the season is a failure.

Right. He's peaked at Alabama, nowhere to go but down. And that's going to happen. Recruiting is nonstop, lots of your success is out of your control, once you're out of the top four your season is basically over, the NCAA is ridiculous, etc. Saban strikes me as the kind of guy who needs to move on to the next thing from time to time. 

He's 64. If I'm right about him wanting something new, this is probably the last real shot he has at it, over the next year or so. 

Bum? How in the world is Saban a bum? Maybe a dooosh, but the guy can coach.

At the college level no doubt about it. i know Pete Carroll didn't do a good job his first go around at the NFL level. I would rather have someone we know is succeful at the NFL level than spin the bottle with Saban.

Bum was over the top. ;)