Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Eli The Only Clutch 4Th Quarter Quarterback?

bap1331

Eli has done very well in the fourth quarter this year. I'm sure guys like Brees and Rodgers would also have the stats, but they are already winning by the 4th quarter, so they hand the ball off to run the clock out. If I remember right, Romo also has some good stats in the 4th quarter.

Not to say he has the greatest sample data of games, but Tim Tebow has been great.

forgot about tebow. him too but he hasnt been clutch the last three games.

Its just surprising because Eli struggled for years before he won the Super Bowl. No one would have ever thought a quarterback can do that. Same goes for Alex Smith of the 49ers. Everyone was already labeling him a bust.

I know this is a Colts forum, but Tom Brady not clutch? Bit of a stretch. If you wanna say he doesn't deserve the majority of the credit he receives for his SB's then I agree, but the guy is fairly clutch.

Eli has 6 Game Winning Drives this season. Tebow, Skelton, and Alex Smith all have 5.

But in terms of SB on the line, its all come down to this, you got one drive, one play, one move. Gotta go with Big Ben, Eli, Old Peyton.

forgot about tebow. him too but he hasnt been clutch the last three games.

Its just surprising because Eli struggled for years before he won the Super Bowl. No one would have ever thought a quarterback can do that. Same goes for Alex Smith of the 49ers. Everyone was already labeling him a bust.

Eli struggled, but he had flashes where you could see it coming with some 4th quarter magic. Of course the comeback against the Pats in the superbowl was the best.

equal to Adam Vinatieri being the game winning field goal kicker? Tom Brady definitely isnt, he always left it up to Vinatieri. He was always talked about being the game winning QB. Cant think of anyone else.

psst..Brady went to Belichick and said I need to throw a TD so Bap thinks I'm clutch. But Belichick said we only need 3 pts to win, sorry..and you were the one who drove down the field to get in field postion. Tell Bap that and maybe he gets it maybe he doesn't. Well maybe then we should have the NFL do away with FGs.

Not to mention 4th qtr comebacks are so great. I mean you'd rather play bad and be losing most of the game and comeback so we look great.

Who wants to win with a lead. right?

right.

Very hard to argue against Eli, the game a few weeks ago against the Dallas. The guy throws a pick and it looks like it might be over but NOPE. Giants playoff lives are on the line and he has two brilliant drives to win the game.

Also Brady as well, against the Cowboys this year and what he has done in the past Super Bowls.

I'd put those 2 up there as the most clutch QBs right now. They do make mistakes as well (Eli vs. the 49ers, Brady vs. the Redskins) but If I had to choose a QB to lead the game winning drive or even heck, start the 4th quarter it would be either QB.

Tom Brady definitely isnt, he always left it up to Vinatieri. He was always talked about being the game winning QB.

Cant think of anyone else.

I try not to get all defensive about this stuff because I know that for the most part this board is shaded royal blue, but are you being serious?

You do realize, a big part of kicking a successful field goal involves getting your team in field goal range. Right?

Eli has done very well in the fourth quarter this year. I'm sure guys like Brees and Rodgers would also have the stats, but they are already winning by the 4th quarter, so they hand the ball off to run the clock out. If I remember right, Romo also has some good stats in the 4th quarter.

Good point...

4th Q QB numbers are very misleading....

You have to be trailing a lot (and facing soft 'cover 2' defenses) to have good 4th Q numbers

I try not to get all defensive about this stuff because I know that for the most part this board is shaded royal blue, but are you being serious?

You do realize, a big part of kicking a successful field goal involves getting your team in field goal range. Right?

In the last few years, however, and without the aid of illegal video cameras, Brady has been quite the opposite. He threw a pick to close out the 06 AFC Championship, four incomplete passes with nearly a minute to go against the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, couldn't hold a 17 point lead twice...

Meanwhile, Peyton had more than 20 4th quarter winning/tying/go ahead drives during that stretch.

Brady just hasn't been the same in the 4th since they stopped cheating.

Oh, and before the pick in Super Bowl XLIV comes up, it was a miscommunication between two players, and not just being bad when it counts. How's that for trolling? :-D

In all seriousness, Brady is great with time management, hence the field goal victories.

I can always count on you for this kind of stuff Doogan. You're steady as the North Star. ;)

Let's take 'em one-by-one:

He threw a pick to close out the 06 AFC Championship...

True. Credit to both the Colts' offense and defense for that game. But the way you're holding on to it... kind of sad. It's been, what, five years this month? Time to move on.

... four incomplete passes with nearly a minute to go against the Giants in Super Bowl XLII...

Try 29 seconds, not a minute. And they were on their own 26-yard-line. All four throws were bombs to Moss, trying to get a miracle catch and/or a PI call. But facts aren't really your thing now, are they? ;)

... couldn't hold a 17 point lead twice...

Not sure which game you're talking about with that one?

Meanwhile, Peyton had more than 20 4th quarter winning/tying/go ahead drives during that stretch.

Yes, and all in the regular season I assume? :heh:

Oh, and before the pick in Super Bowl XLIV comes up, it was a miscommunication between two players, and not just being bad when it counts.

Hmm. Okay? LOL...

Brady just hasn't been the same in the 4th since they stopped cheating.

Who was it who said something along the lines of, "You hear about how many fourth quarter comebacks that a guy has and I think it means a guy >>>ed up in the first three quarters." I think it was a quarterback... was it Curtis Painter maybe?

:thmup::sarcasm::flyingelvis:

I know this is a Colts forum, but Tom Brady not clutch? Bit of a stretch. If you wanna say he doesn't deserve the majority of the credit he receives for his SB's then I agree, but the guy is fairly clutch.

Eli has 6 Game Winning Drives this season. Tebow, Skelton, and Alex Smith all have 5.

But in terms of SB on the line, its all come down to this, you got one drive, one play, one move. Gotta go with Big Ben, Eli, Old Peyton.

without a doubt Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. That game winning drive to win against the Cardinals was amazing as well as the Giants to beat the Perfect Patriots...

psst..Brady went to Belichick and said I need to throw a TD so Bap thinks I'm clutch. But Belichick said we only need 3 pts to win, sorry..and you were the one who drove down the field to get in field postion. Tell Bap that and maybe he gets it maybe he doesn't. Well maybe then we should have the NFL do away with FGs.

Not to mention 4th qtr comebacks are so great. I mean you'd rather play bad and be losing most of the game and comeback so we look great.

Who wants to win with a lead. right?

right.

lol funny post. i guess your right.

equal to Adam Vinatieri being the game winning field goal kicker?

Tom Brady definitely isnt, he always left it up to Vinatieri. He was always talked about being the game winning QB.

Cant think of anyone else.

Didnt the Lions come from 14 points behind 4 times this season...

Not all 4th quarter comebacks..but I guess they'll do.