Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you were Andrew Luck...

gspdx

would you sign a long term deal with the Colts?  I have to say if I was him I wouldn't.  Not until I see what is going to happen here.

So if he doesn't what are his options?  Take the franchise tag for next year or is there some other method for the end of a rookie contract?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I would play out my final two years (5th year option + tag) and sign with Arizona or Denver.

I am glad you are not Luck. If you feel like the Colts are not going to get better and Luck needs to go to another team I find it very hard as to why you even call yourself a Colts fan.

I am glad you are not Luck. If you feel like the Colts are not going to get better and Luck needs to go to another team I find it very hard as to why you even call yourself a Colts fan.

Why are the Colts a better option for his career than Arizona and Denver? Both have terrific rosters, and stable organizations.

By next season Luck will have had his 4th OC in 5 years.

That wasn't the question.

Fine.

If I were Luck, I'd take the $120m with $70m guaranteed contract that the Colts are going to offer next year. I wouldn't play two years in a row on one year contracts for a total of ~$38m, hoping that a) I wouldn't get injured and totally destroy my value, and b) I wouldn't be tagged and kept from free agency for a third straight year.

Long story short, Luck isn't going anywhere.

would you sign a long term deal with the Colts?  I have to say if I was him I wouldn't.  Not until I see what is going to happen here.

So if he doesn't what are his options?  Take the franchise tag for next year or is there some other method for the end of a rookie contract?

I'd be dying to sign with Indy.  One of the best run organizations in pro sports.  Owner committed to winning.  Awesome city.  Great fans.  Yes, I'd be signing quickly. 

Lol why not because you're so much above everyone else? You're a major part of the problem with this team under achieving. Your play this year, along with a few other things has lead to your friend/OC from Stanford getting fired. Part of your heroics has been helping to put the team in a hole just to pull us back out.

So yes I would sign back with the Colts regardless of other options

I am confused why Denver or Arizona be a better option for him? The colts (not counting this year) have gone further every time in the playoffs. So why couldn't he win a championship here? That said playing along so it be what 2017 right? Well the only team MAY peak his curiosity would be say NE if Brady retires and BB stays on. The ONLY reason I say it would interest him is Simple Luck is a smart man and he knows what BB has done theblast 16 years. He may feel that is a spot prove his legacy.

Again not saying that's the case but outside of getting a HOF HC that you know is going no where and a chance win a SB why would he leave???

If we really want to discuss Luck thinking about taking control of his future, if I were him I'd demand a player void in the next contract.

If I was Irsay I wouldn't screw around with this. I would sign him to like a 6 year deal and pay him huge money, that puts him through his prime. I had a terrible dream earlier that he got traded to the Browns haha, true dream and when I woke up I still thought it was real for a second. Almost gave me a heart attack.

If I was Irsay I wouldn't screw around with this. I would sign him to like a 6 year deal and pay him huge money, that puts him through his prime. I had a terrible dream earlier that he got traded to the Browns haha, true dream and when I woke up I still thought it was real for a second. Almost gave me a heart attack.

I think they could still tag him after a player void, it would just be super expensive. Don't quote me on that, though; I haven't looked that stuff up since March. 

But this would be the LeBron James deal. Puts the organization on notice, and takes some control of his situation. Revis has done the same thing, basically. It would also allow him to renegotiate his contract once the cap goes up, which it will over the next three years.

At the end of the day, though, I think this is just like any other player negotiation. The team holds all the cards in this case, and Luck has very little leverage. Unless he pulls a Carson Palmer and retires, he's not going anywhere.

Owner, GM, HC, roster, etc...

The Bidwells still own the Cardinals. The GM is the same guy who has blown several first rounders. The coach is 63; would be 65 by the time your 'force my way to AZ' plan could be realized, and Tom Moore will be 78. The defense will either be significantly changed or very expensive in two years, given the young players coming up in free agency, not to mention the older vets that will be gone. The offensive line has been bad until this season. The Cardinals haven't won a playoff game in six years.

Being honest, I like where they're going, so long as Palmer is healthy, but I don't consider them to be more stable than the Colts. Stability usually involves a long-term view, and the Cardinals have mostly been a mess. The Colts have been far more stable, and up until this season, there's been very little turmoil.

I think they could still tag him after a player void, it would just be super expensive. Don't quote me on that, though; I haven't looked that stuff up since March. 

But this would be the LeBron James deal. Puts the organization on notice, and takes some control of his situation. Revis has done the same thing, basically. It would also allow him to renegotiate his contract once the cap goes up, which it will over the next three years.

At the end of the day, though, I think this is just like any other player negotiation. The team holds all the cards in this case, and Luck has very little leverage. Unless he pulls a Carson Palmer and retires, he's not going anywhere.

The last sentence about sums it up. I'll add this ... If anyone thinks that Luck doesn't have the spunk to delve into his value, I gotta bridge for sale. The Colts will pay him what he's worth. Just as Superman states here, Luck's not going anywhere. Period.

would you sign a long term deal with the Colts? I have to say if I was him I wouldn't. Not until I see what is going to happen here.

So if he doesn't what are his options? Take the franchise tag for next year or is there some other method for the end of a rookie contract?

i don't think Andrew Luck thinks like you.

The Bidwells still own the Cardinals. The GM is the same guy who has blown several first rounders. The coach is 63; would be 65 by the time your 'force my way to AZ' plan could be realized, and Tom Moore will be 78. The defense will either be significantly changed or very expensive in two years, given the young players coming up in free agency, not to mention the older vets that will be gone. The offensive line has been bad until this season. The Cardinals haven't won a playoff game in six years.

Being honest, I like where they're going, so long as Palmer is healthy, but I don't consider them to be more stable than the Colts. Stability usually involves a long-term view, and the Cardinals have mostly been a mess. The Colts have been far more stable, and up until this season, there's been very little turmoil.

The Colts owner is a drug addict, they have a terrible GM who meddles in coaching and lineup decisions and will likely be gone in two years (and will likely go through full rebuild), the head coach is about to be fired, and he'll be on his 4th OC in 5 years.

But yes you're right, the Cardinals head coach is kind of old.

Yea, that was what I getting at......

The Colts owner is a drug addict, they have a terrible GM who meddles in coaching and lineup decisions and will likely be gone in two years (and will likely go through full rebuild), the head coach is about to be fired, and he'll be on his 4th OC in 5 years.

So we will have a clear-out coming. Perfect time for Luck to show us he is as good as we all thought.

Point is that the Colts have the leverage. If Luck was an unrestricted free agent, he might choose a different team than the Colts. He won't be an unrestricted free agent, though; can't be until 2019, if the Colts use their tags.

And say what you will about Irsay, his ownership has been far more successful and stable than the Bidwells. 

I think Luck holds all the cards. When it comes time to sign him long term, Irsay will have fixed all of the organizational issues around him to ensure he doesn't walk.

I know people say he's not going anywhere but I'm sure Luck and his agent will have serious talks about all his options. If there is another team with a winning culture, a good HC and roster that is willing to pay just as much, if not more than the Colts I think his agent will tell him to at least consider his options.

If this team still looks like it does now in 2 years then IDK. There might be some really tempting offers in 2 years.

All this turmoil? It is amazing what losing will have ppl saying. Ppl are acting like this team has been in disarray since Luck got here. This year everything is magnified because we aren't play well. Will Pagano be fired? Maybe. Will Grigson? Likely. However, people need to stop exaggerating like it's so awful here and Luck needs to get out while he can. NONE of this was going on last year when we were playing better or the year before that. 

John Fox was fired, Gase left, should Manning want out too?

Luck needs to take the boatload of money he will be given. Play better, continue to master his craft. Eventually, he will be able to add his own input into the situation if he doesn't already

If I were Luck, I'd be mad at myself for getting my coach and friend fired because of my play. I would want to play well this weekend especially with the player that I was chosen to succeed coming into my stadium.

Oh my God. Really?