Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Problem with the Offense is the Core...

Indeee

AKA the Middle.

We are not utilizing it, especially Luck. This year, especially in the Saints game, I have counted numerous times where the middle is wide open and I'm screaming at the TV(Luck) to run...

I have also been screaming for the lack of quick slants, dig ins, drag routes, etc..

The defenses are taking away the outsides consistently as I believe they have figured out that most of our route tree formations involve seams and outer hash patterns, whether deep or intermediate routes

If you pay close attention to the games 80% or more passes are thrown to these areas, mostly unsuccessful

Gore has utilized the middle greatly. most of his runs for 7 yard gainers or more have been right off guard or up the gut. These areas have been soft as the defenses are cheating towards the outer halves of the field expecting the pass happy colts to throw

The quick hitters and under routes along with Luck running the Ball OFTEN will stop defenses from cheating to those route patterns and those patterns would eventually open up for more success

When the receivers aren't open Luck has to RUN up the middle, not wait or force the ball just for the sake of passing the ball

It's just Luck. If Luck was playing well we would be at least 6-1 and all of this drama would not exist. 

The only reason it seems like that is because Luck was the one part of our offense that made us look good in the first place. It was never the receivers, the running game, and it sure as hell wasn't the protection. 

If Luck was playing well we might be 5-2, maybe even 6-1 and yeah there would be no drama. But the only reason it wasn't there last year was Luck masked all sorts of problems.

The only reason it seems like that is because Luck was the one part of our offense that made us look good in the first place. It was never the receivers, the running game, and it sure as hell wasn't the protection. 

If Luck was playing well we might be 5-2, maybe even 6-1 and yeah there would be no drama. But the only reason it wasn't there last year was Luck masked all sorts of problems.

Yeah he is the QB, the most important position in sports, and he is playing bad thus the offense is going three and out and turning the ball over; that affects the team dramatically.  

But what's your point exactly? Are you just trying to put Luck in a brighter light. There are other talented players on our offense besides Luck. Were you just trying to say the offense as a whole is bad? Because it's not. 

You are how you play, and Luck sucks right now, 

AKA the Middle.

We are not utilizing it, especially Luck. This year, especially in the Saints game, I have counted numerous times where the middle is wide open and I'm screaming at the TV(Luck) to run...

I have also been screaming for the lack of quick slants, dig ins, drag routes, etc..

The defenses are taking away the outsides consistently as I believe they have figured out that most of our route tree formations involve seams and outer hash patterns, whether deep or intermediate routes

If you pay close attention to the games 80% or more passes are thrown to these areas, mostly unsuccessful

Gore has utilized the middle greatly. most of his runs for 7 yard gainers or more have been right off guard or up the gut. These areas have been soft as the defenses are cheating towards the outer halves of the field expecting the pass happy colts to throw

The quick hitters and under routes along with Luck running the Ball OFTEN will stop defenses from cheating to those route patterns and those patterns would eventually open up for more success

When the receivers aren't open Luck has to RUN up the middle, not wait or force the ball just for the sake of passing the ball

Same Topics, Different Threads

:sigh:

Yeah he is the QB, the most important position in sports, and he is playing bad thus the offense is going three and out and turning the ball over; that affects the team dramatically.  

But what's your point exactly? Are you just trying to put Luck in a brighter light. There are other talented players on our offense besides Luck. Were you just trying to say the offense as a whole is bad? Because it's not. 

You are how you play, and Luck sucks right now, 

My point is that while Luck is part of the problem, there are and have been more problems on this team than him.

AKA the Middle.

While luck has had his turnovers or think everything that has gone wrong this year is his fault I don't know where the analyst's are getting his protection has been fine I don't know how much knowledge that guy has very little most likely. Also this team looks so bad not because of luck but because Grigson didn't fix it plain and simple that and our coaching isn't good at all.

It's just Luck. If Luck was playing well we would be at least 6-1 and all of this drama would not exist. 

Luck is the reason AC is playing $*(@ terrible as he mentioned and the OL commits more holds than any unit in the NFL?  Luck is the reason the WRs sometimes are non existent and get 0 separation and drop wide open passes.  Luck is the reason Gore fumbled twice in two critical circumstances at the goal line?  Luck is the reason the special teams sucks as well and the coaching staff makes horrendous decisions to try trick plays that have 0 chance of working.  Luck sucks, the O sucks, the D sucks, the coaching sucks, the special teams sucks. 

Is this rocket science????????

No. . . . .

This team would still mediocre with him playing well. 

Need you look at Denver, Seattle and Carolina? 

Just plain stupid to once again blame luck..1st two games really messed with lucks head and those games WE CAN BLAME HE PLAYCALLINGG..but since then he obviously hasn't been comfortable but are they coaches helping him no they're just keeping him in the same situation he's struggling in

The line is playing awful, we aren't running the ball enough, Luck is staring down his receivers and making awful decisions, the receivers aren't getting much seperation and the play calling has been awful.  I think Luck needs to clean up the turnovers, get rid of the ball faster(even if its for a shorter pass/route) and they need to run the ball.  Gore and Bradshaw are both capable.

Currently, the Colts are 26th in the league for total rush yards, however, the Colts are ranked 11th in average yards per carry, at 4.3 YPC. It's clear that the Colts should commit to the run game.

I know that this theme is getting old, but it's even more important to run now to help a struggling Andrew Luck.

Here is a great example: To start the Saints game, Gore ran the ball well. We had a 3rd and 1 and instead of running the ball, we attempted a pass which went incomplete, leading to a 3-and-out and a tired Colts defense having to go right back out onto the field.

I hope Pep changes things up and focuses on the run, and asks Luck to be a game manager until he gets out of his funk.

The issue is Pep's play calling and strategy.  Everything outside the hashes, no drop offs and few screens.  Long developing, no one can get open easily, never changes no matter what the defense is.

I think one reason Luck is playing poorly is that everyone is playing Luck the same way the Patriots played the Colts in the playoffs. Press man with A gap blitz.  Colts seem to have no answer for that because they won't throw the ball short.  If you do that to Pats, Brady immediately hits a RB on a dropoff or a WR on a quick crossing pattern.

The issue is Pep's play calling and strategy.  Everything outside the hashes, no drop offs and few screens.  Long developing, no one can get open easily, never changes no matter what the defense is.

I think one reason Luck is playing poorly is that everyone is playing Luck the same way the Patriots played the Colts in the playoffs. Press man with A gap blitz.  Colts seem to have no answer for that because they won't throw the ball short.  If you do that to Pats, Brady immediately hits a RB on a dropoff or a WR on a quick crossing pattern.

This is my original post exactly.. Couldn't agree more. How this post went to a blame Luckfest I will never know

Luck is the reason AC is playing $*(@ terrible as he mentioned and the OL commits more holds than any unit in the NFL?  Luck is the reason the WRs sometimes are non existent and get 0 separation and drop wide open passes.  Luck is the reason Gore fumbled twice in two critical circumstances at the goal line?  Luck is the reason the special teams sucks as well and the coaching staff makes horrendous decisions to try trick plays that have 0 chance of working.  Luck sucks, the O sucks, the D sucks, the coaching sucks, the special teams sucks. 

Is this rocket science????????

No. . . . .

This team would still mediocre with him playing well. 

Need you look at Denver, Seattle and Carolina? 

Are you talking about the 3-4 Seattle team?

Are you talking about the 3-4 Seattle team?

haha, yeah Coffee.  They may have the same record and sloppy QB play but they've lost their games by a combined 20 pts vs the Colts 39 points.  I'm not sure about you but I would definitely put my $$$ on Seattle if the two teams played.  Good news is the Colts are in the AFC South.  I'm having a tough time imagining the outcome of this Monday night game in Carolina but I don't think it's going to be good. 

Obviously not as great of an example as Denver and Carolina. 

1.) They don't run the ball enough. (the O-linemen are better run blockers than pass blockers, yet they're not playing to that strength)

2.) Play calling lacks diversity. (mixing personnel, moving the pocket, misdirection, screens, delays, shovel passes, formation options, etc.)

3.) Sloppy execution. (crisp, precise, rhythmic, touch, sharp, fluid.... none of these apply to this offense)

When I add this up, I get Pep.

Gore's pitch count needs to stop.  He's effective and it can help Luck and the passing game with play-action.  They are going to end up losing games due to this silly rule and the playoffs won't matter.  So what exactly are they saving Gore for?  The priority should be to WIN.  And use Bradshaw in the passing game more like he was doing last season.

This is my original post exactly.. Couldn't agree more. How this post went to a blame Luckfest I will never know

it went that way because of his turnovers smh. Yes we can blame him for turning it over but the playcalls arent helping him see the field and standing in that pocket scares luck it took this long to strike fear in him and now we see how he's handling it. Which means the playcaller should adapt and make him comfortable yet they're leaving him out to take all the criticism himself. Everyone is blaming themselves but. Pep and Grigson yet all we hear about is that Pagano may be fired that isn't even fair based on he doesn't have who he wants as OC

Gore's pitch count needs to stop. He's effective and it can help Luck and the passing game with play-action. They are going to end up losing games due to this silly rule and the playoffs won't matter. So what exactly are they saving Gore for? The priority should be to WIN. And use Bradshaw in the passing game more like he was doing last season.

from what I've seen gore has been great at running and the little tiny bit we've seen of Bradshaw he hasn't been getting yard. But what we have seen is gore struggling in pass catching and we know that Bradshaw does that even better. We should run with gore and throw passes to Bradshaw its that simple and abandoning the run, pitch count is such a stupid idea. You can't do that and win games smh

haha, yeah Coffee.  They may have the same record and sloppy QB play but they've lost their games by a combined 20 pts vs the Colts 39 points.  I'm not sure about you but I would definitely put my $$$ on Seattle if the two teams played.  Good news is the Colts are in the AFC South.  I'm having a tough time imagining the outcome of this Monday night game in Carolina but I don't think it's going to be good. 

Obviously not as great of an example as Denver and Carolina. 

It did seem odd to include them with Denver and Carolina.

I wouldn't put my money on Seatlle in most instances.  They looked good against a SF team that is as bad as the Jags.  Other than that, they've looked pretty bad.... their Oline is not good, their dline is playing average at best.  I think if Luck plays well, the Colts are a top team.  And the two biggest things Luck has to do to play well is; quit checking out of running plays and quit double clutching the pass.  If he did those two things the O would be running a lot smoother.

Exactly, only I'd submit that this defensive strategy has always been successful against the Colts during the Pep era, not just beginning with the Pats last year. 

But in the past, (a healthy) Reggie Wayne could get open and Luck would look to him often (remember in past seasons the criticism Luck took for targeting Reggie too much?).  And when Reggie couldn't get open, the O stalled.  This season, a Reggie-less offense has had its weaknesses exposed to the entire NFL.  Its always stalled.

In the past, Luck has never had to learn to look away from his WRs in in times of stress because one of them, Reggie, would be open.

Pep needs to redesign many of the plays so that they give more options to non WRs and Luck needs to learn not look downfield at WRs so much when trying to convert first downs.  It has worked in the past, but not any more.

Luck just isn't as smart as everyone makes him out to be. We're in year four and he still doesn't know how to beat a blitz consistently. The fact that he's having a down year is just revealing the blemishes of this poorly constructed roster and coaching staff. Luck needs a coach that can help him develop his progression reads, hot reads, and work with him on not staring down receivers. I honestly hope Sean Payton gets canned from New Orleans and we scoop him up. I think he can "fix" Luck, but they might need to put the training wheels back on for a season and get back to the basics before giving him control at the LOS. He just hasn't made good decisions, and it's as if he refuses to take the checkdown or hot route a receiver when facing an obvious blitz. I blame Arians' scheme from year one. He still hasn't gotten that "long ball or nothing at all" out of him

I wouldn't put my money on Seatlle in most instances.  They looked good against a SF team that is as bad as the Jags.  Other than that, they've looked pretty bad.... their Oline is not good, their dline is playing average at best.  I think if Luck plays well, the Colts are a top team.  And the two biggest things Luck has to do to play well is; quit checking out of running plays and quit double clutching the pass.  If he did those two things the O would be running a lot smoother.

Full agreement sir, full agreement!

AKA the Middle.

You are correct. I made the same comment a few times this season. I know we are just watching from home but still. Luck and Bradshaw had amazing chemistry last year with the check down. No open receivers down field, Bradshaw wide open in the middle for the check down, and Luck would take that every time. Bradshaw had 300 RECEIVING yards and 6 RECEIVING touchdowns. It was dangerous before he got hurt. This season is like watching a whole new team. A whole different Andrew Luck. One that I've never seen before. I'm not 100% positive what the deal is. Whether it's the play calling for big air time plays down field, Luck making stupid decisions and has regressed, or whether Luck is still playing injured. Of course, Luck is going to say he's 100% and coaches aren't going to say anything other than that same thing as well. You don't want to put your QB on the radar for opponents to clobber knowing he's playing hurt. It's beginning to be painful to watch as the whole offense has looked the worst it has ever looked. I hope our coaching staff is telling Luck to take the check downs more. It's so blatantly wide open and it's not even funny. That should keep our offense on the field and our defense not as gassed. Lets go already!

Biggest problem with the O right now is penalties and execution. The execution is outright awful. Hasslebeck showed us what this offense can be if we execute properly.

lol soooooo you're telling me the plays are exactly the same with luck? So you're saying the last two games you've seen luck roll out? Andd you've seen the line move to the left or right instead of standing in the same spot to protect the qb? Are you seeing into the future lol?

lol soooooo you're telling me the plays are exactly the same with luck? So you're saying the last two games you've seen luck roll out? Andd you've seen the line move to the left or right instead of standing in the same spot to protect the qb? Are you seeing into the future lol?

What does any of that have to do with execution?  If we roll out and he throws a pick or sails the football what good will that do?  The guy just threw a pick that put the Saints offense on the 20 yard line and it was a three step drop so get out of here trying to put exclusive blame on Pep or the O line.   The kid needs to execute the plays properly.

What does any of that have to do with execution? If we roll out and he throws a pick or sails the football what good will that do? The guy just threw a pick that put the Saints offense on the 20 yard line and it was a three step drop so get out of here trying to put exclusive blame on Pep or the O line. The kid needs to execute the plays properly.

point I'm making is what we're doing he's not comfortable in because he's expecting to get hit because as usual he gets HIT. I don't put the blame on pep for Luck throwing picks that's his own fault he can throw it away he chooses not to. I'm blaming pep for his non creative playcalls which don't take advantage of the weapons this offense has. And also for not changing his style of offense to make Andrew comfortable..you can clearly see luck does not want to stand in that pocket hell launch that ball before he trust his line to block for him therefore the playcaller needs to adapt and dumb it down for him if he's getting confused. Failure to adjust falls on the coaching as does execution falls on the players

point I'm making is what we're doing he's not comfortable in because he's expecting to get hit because as usual he gets HIT. I don't put the blame on pep for Luck throwing picks that's his own fault he can throw it away he chooses not to. I'm blaming pep for his non creative playcalls which don't take advantage of the weapons this offense has. And also for not changing his style of offense to make Andrew comfortable..you can clearly see luck does not want to stand in that pocket hell launch that ball before he trust his line to block for him therefore the playcaller needs to adapt and dumb it down for him if he's getting confused. Failure to adjust falls on the coaching as does execution falls on the players

I don't place blame solely on Luck as I am well aware there are issues on the line, and there are in fact some issues with personnel groupings and what not.  However I do not think that every play is badly designed to the point where the quarterback can not be productive.  It was clear when Hasslebeck played that a quarterback could succeed in this offense even with Pep calling the plays if you execute.  Many of Lucks issues can be mitigated with improved execution and better decision making is all I'm saying.  The line does not always block bad especially on the shorter pass releases. If you know your timing needs to be quicker you've got to execute the play better.  If you know the blitz is coming and the blitz beater is a screen then you've got to make sure the ball is not thrown high, too low or at a bad angle.  I think he can get it done, hopefully sooner than later.

I don't place blame solely on Luck as I am well aware there are issues on the line. However I do not think that every thing is bad play design to the point where the quarterback can not be productive. Many of the issues can be mitigated with improved execution is all I'm saying. The line does not always block bad especially on the shorter pass releases. If you know your timing needs to be quicker you've got to execute better. I think he can get it done, hopefully sooner than later.

true I agree with you but I feel he's afraid of that line after the injury which is why I say they need to do what they did with Mh with luck.

Yep can't disagree with that though I don't think the team in general are world beaters.  I think we are going to get a very ugly dose of Carolina even if the offense looks crisp, which I don't see happening against their D.  I do however sure as heck hope I'm wrong.  I just keep hearing people dogging Luck when the team in general isn't good.  Heck, thanks to the Jags kicker the Colts aren't 2-5.  If Luck was on the top of his game yeah the team would look a lot better but I still think teams would continue to rack up 400+ yards of offense on this D.  If Luck was looking like Rodgers that would be a different story at the same time also, haha

Good news is there is still a monumental room of improvement.