Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck open to adjusting Colts' offensive style

krunk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes you wonder, was it Luck that was calling those deep routes or was it Hamilton?  Or both? 

Great to see the adjustments by Pep and the willingness by Luck to change and go with what works...

Just gotta see it implemented Sunday night!

Even if they don't win, if they can just show that they are learning and even keep it within a score or two... or three.... I would be satisfied.  Which of course it what the Colts are concerned with (Sarcasm)

It makes you wonder, was it Luck that was calling those deep routes or was it Hamilton?  Or both? 

Great to see the adjustments by Pep and the willingness by Luck to change and go with what works...

Even if they don't win, if they can just show that they are learning and even keep it within a score or two... or three.... I would be satisfied.  Which of course it what the Colts are concerned with (Sarcasm)

I recall reading that Luck was the one who audibled into a lot of those plays against the Bills and Jets. Pep and co. gave Luck a LOT of discretion last year and it seems like they finally gave him the keys to the car this season. Unfortunately, maybe Luck wasn't quite as ready as we thought.

I recall reading that Luck was the one who audibled into a lot of those plays against the Bills and Jets. Pep and co. gave Luck a LOT of discretion last year and it seems like they finally gave him the keys to the car this season. Unfortunately, maybe Luck wasn't quite as ready as we thought.

Wish they would give the keys to Pags to see what he's really made of, lol. Seems like Luck has more say than he does.

Maybe this was the best thing to happen for Luck. A learning experience. Not many QB's get the freedom he is reporting having and I think that's a testament to his abilities, but there is always room to learn. He may come back healthy and just have a completely different perspective of strategy and how to balance his calls. 

There was definitely more 3 to 5 step drops when Matt was starting but I think Pep still called some of the same plays he has called over the last few years as well, Im glad it seems they finally discovered that the short to intermediate game can open up for long passes later as well.

It makes you wonder, was it Luck that was calling those deep routes or was it Hamilton? Or both?

Even if they don't win, if they can just show that they are learning and even keep it within a score or two... or three.... I would be satisfied. Which of course it what the Colts are concerned with (Sarcasm)

My thoughts exactly. I would add that maybe Luck felt he had to be the one to make the play all the time. Maybe being shown that he can trust his teammates to carry the team in his absence, maybe that'll take some of that feeling away

My thoughts exactly. I would add that maybe Luck felt he had to be the one to make the play all the time. Maybe being shown that he can trust his teammates to carry the team in his absence, maybe that'll take some of that feeling away

He should never feel like that. Especially in that Jets game. Defense held them to 10 points through 3 QTRS.

Luck's got a solid team around him. Could it be better? Sure, every NFL team has areas they can improve on. That's just how it is. The good teams are the ones who turn their shortcomings into advantages

He needs to be very open to anything that will help us to sustain drives!  That is one of the big things that has killed us in these Patriot match ups.  If we can get the dink and dunk going along with the running game I feel real good about what we can do on those boys.  We need to pull out that Baltimore Ravens offensive blueprint from last years playoffs. Ravens ran the football all over New England along with dinking and dunking.  Problem is the Ravens when they found out they can hit deep they got too greedy and they ended up paying for it.  I'm pretty confident the run game is going to be there for us in this matchup.  They don't play the run that well when they know you have the personnel to burn them deep.

He should never feel like that. Especially in that Jets game. Defense held them to 10 points through 3 QTRS.

Luck's got a solid team around him. Could it be better? Sure, every NFL team has areas they can improve on. That's just how it is. The good teams are the ones who turn their shortcomings into advantages

I agree

It is doubtful that Luck can change his style of play so quickly.

I think Luck is smart enough to see what works. His talent level is also above his shoulders I think. Sometimes standing on the sidelines and seeing things from a different view might turn out to be a good thing. It seemed to work for Rogers? haha

Wish they would give the keys to Pags to see what he's really made of, lol. Seems like Luck has more say than he does.

Why would you want Pagano doing anything with the offense?  He has his hands full with the defense that still isnt as good as it should be IF he is such a great defensive mind....  not to mention that the DB's on this team suck except for VD and Adams.... but dont worry  we have th DB Whisperer  HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Time to go Pags

It is doubtful that Luck can change his style of play so quickly.

What we ran with Hasselbeck is basically what we ran during preseason. They switched after he got sacked in the first series against the Bears. He went from an average time to attempt of 2.82 seconds down to 2.17 seconds; Hasselbeck averaged 2.12 seconds against the Texans. The problem isn't what Luck can or can't do. 

Why would you want Pagano doing anything with the offense? He has his hands full with the defense that still isnt as good as it should be IF he is such a great defensive mind.... not to mention that the DB's on this team suck except for VD and Adams.... but dont worry we have th DB Whisperer HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Time to go Pags

I was actually referring to letting him you know, be a head coach. Actually getting to pick his staff and decide who plays and doesn't. Seems as if all of those coaching decisions are made by grigs. Unless he is given a chance to actually coach, we won't know if he is bad or good. I'm sure his first order of business would be the OC position. So in short, I definitely didn't mean for him to coach the offense, lol.

I think Luck can/has learned from his two week sideline stint. I also think Pep will adjust accordingly to what the Pats are giving him. The other thing, he line has continued to improve. A lot of it was the short passing/running game, but Hasslebeck was barely touched. And Texas is a bad team, yes, but has a supposedly top defense....at least talent wise. And we moved the ball pretty well on them. But be ready for BB to show them something they haven't seen all year. The Pats are excellent like that. They're chameleons...that is why it is so important to be able to make Brady sit, and match them score for score.

Why would you want Pagano doing anything with the offense?  He has his hands full with the defense that still isnt as good as it should be IF he is such a great defensive mind....  not to mention that the DB's on this team suck except for VD and Adams.... but dont worry  we have th DB Whisperer  HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Time to go Pags

Um, you do realize the DBs have all been injured, right? They had to start guys off the street for several games! Toler isn't great and was horrible last Thursday, but it was his first game back. Davis was playing hurt. Geathers is a rookie but looks solid. Lowery was a solid pickup. The problem is in the front seven and lack of pass rush....that is on Grigson, not Pagano

Um, you do realize the DBs have all been injured, right? They had to start guys off the street for several games! Toler isn't great and was horrible last Thursday, but it was his first game back. Davis was playing hurt. Geathers is a rookie but looks solid. Lowery was a solid pickup. The problem is in the front seven and lack of pass rush....that is on Grigson, not Pagano

Yep I realize that....  But do you realize the only really good DB we have is Davis and he arrived here good.  Pags has done nothing to improve anyone in the defensive secondary.  He is just not a very good coach.  He is a buddy, a motivator and the king of the cliche.....  Good story and I wish him well but time to get on that rolling ball of butcher knives and ride on out of town.

Think Herman Edwards.....  fun to listen to but can't coach

Yep I realize that....  But do you realize the only really good DB we have is Davis and he arrived here good.  Pags has done nothing to improve anyone in the defensive secondary.  He is just not a very good coach.  He is a buddy, a motivator and the king of the cliche.....  Good story and I wish him well but time to get on that rolling ball of butcher knives and ride on out of town.

Our secondary is good when healthy. If we can generate some pass rush when our secondary is healthy, our defense will be middle of the order to the top. And I like what Pagano has done to our secondary. We might have not added much, but he has helped develop Davis and Butler. 

There was definitely more 3 to 5 step drops when Matt was starting but I think Pep still called some of the same plays he has called over the last few years as well, Im glad it seems they finally discovered that the short to intermediate game can open up for long passes later as well.

"What are these 'short passes' you speak of?"

~Andrew Luck, 2015

He needs to be very open to anything that will help us to sustain drives!  That is one of the big things that has killed us in these Patriot match ups.  If we can get the dink and dunk going along with the running game I feel real good about what we can do on those boys.  We need to pull out that Baltimore Ravens offensive blueprint from last years playoffs. Ravens ran the football all over New England along with dinking and dunking.  Problem is the Ravens when they found out they can hit deep they got too greedy and they ended up paying for it.  I'm pretty confident the run game is going to be there for us in this matchup.  They don't play the run that well when they know you have the personnel to burn them deep.

It opens up for more play action for a deep ball as well.  I remember a Colts team or two that killed opponents with quick slants and short passes...setting up that deep ball.

I think the real problem is Andrew goes to his first read and does not go through his progressions.  Two step drops will keep him clean as well.  

Our secondary is good when healthy. If we can generate some pass rush when our secondary is healthy, our defense will be middle of the order to the top. And I like what Pagano has done to our secondary. We might have not added much, but he has helped develop Davis and Butler.

He gets no credit for Davis. He was already good when he got here And our secondary is not good. If it were good it could survive without Davis. I said survive not give up 6 td like it did to the steelers last year If you take the one playmaker off of that secondary it is one of the worst in the league

Pags is a cheerleader. Nothing more. Not a great defensive guy. Not a DB guy not a game manager. The team starts slow every game and makes no adjustments when the wheels are falling off. And he especially not an offensive mind

He gets no credit for Davis. He was already good when he got here And our secondary is not good. If it were good it could survive without Davis. I said survive not give up 6 td like it did to the steelers last year If you take the one playmaker off of that secondary it is one of the worst in the league

Pags is a cheerleader. Nothing more. Not a great defensive guy. Not a DB guy not a game manager. The team starts slow every game and makes no adjustments when the wheels are falling off. And he especially not an offensive mind

That's not true. Davis made a HUGE leap from when he got here to how he played last year. His injuries have made it tough on him this season so far.

This is silly!  So what does he get credit for then? No credit when we win, and all the blame when we lose.

I bet you're a hard person to live with buddy. LOL.  Tell us how you get traded from your team in Miami if you're already good? There's very few defenses in the NFL that lose their best players and continue to perform at a high level in the secondary. And that's especially true when the defense is just really coming into it's own.  You're trying to put Pagano in position as if he is the Defensive Coordinator.  He's not, that guys name is Manusky.    And then you turn around and make him the offensive coordinator on top of that.  He's not, that guys name is Pep Hamilton. 

So far you've made him a Cheerleader while at the same time being mad because he's a bad defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator!  How does one cheer lead and at the same time be responsible for being the coordinator of the offense and the defense?  A cheerleader had no responsibility other than to cheer!

wow what a bunch of nonsense.  If Davis was already as good in Miami as he is now, why did they want to get rid of him for a measly 2nd round pick?  Davis has improved tremendously since coming here.  Toler was a Nickel CB with Arizona before coming here.  Since coming here, he has been a solid #2 CB (not great, but solid...when healthy).  Butler was on his way out of the league after having been given multiple chances with multiple teams.  Since coming here he's been one of the better Nickel DBs in the league. 

I get that some people simply don't like Pagano.  But just say you don't like him and want someone else here.  There's no need to make up this kind of crap to try to push your agenda.

Denver switched gears after finally learning that Manning is good at his game not Kubiack's. Give credit to Kubiack for swallowing his pride and game plan and getting on with the idea of winning every game. We have watched a game plan succeed with a bed ridden 40 year QB why not then keep that game plan/tactic and insert what is going to be a very expensive QB in his fourth year?

(Go Cubs)

I can't wait for this game.

I'm starting Sam Bradford over Luck in fantasy, but I do hope that Luck can play more efficiently. If we lose this game, I really think Grigson needs to go. Although he made the promise to build an offensive line around Luck, we are still in the bottom 15 of the league in offensive line spending.

How are we supposed to beat the best teams in the NFL with such a crappy line? Please don't repeat the Peyton Manning era all over again....we want multiple SB wins, not just one.

This is the real thing here. Luck throws a great deep ball (at least he has in the past, hopefully his shoulder is ok) but the deep ball should be the cherry on top, not what you build your offense around. It becomes so much more effective if you can run the football, also your QB takes less hits if he can get the ball out quickly more often.

Time to go Pags

Is it possible to stay on topic?

I was actually referring to letting him you know, be a head coach. Actually getting to pick his staff and decide who plays and doesn't. Seems as if all of those coaching decisions are made by grigs. Unless he is given a chance to actually coach, we won't know if he is bad or good. I'm sure his first order of business would be the OC position. So in short, I definitely didn't mean for him to coach the offense, lol.

So you are basing you comment on what you read from the media or someone who has no clue about how the Colts are coached?

So the Colts record under Pagano is pretty impressive. So how does a team get that record without making adjustments? You are letting your dislike of Pagano regulate your comments. The Colts have over achieved with Pagano as coach. It don't take a blind person to see that.