Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Castonzo contract details

Superman

Finally. Per Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/anthony-castonzo/

It's five years, $51.25m, with $18m fully guaranteed. Signing bonus is $14m, and the 2015 salary is $4m, and that's the fully guaranteed money. Salaries + roster bonuses in 2016 and 2017 of $7m and $10m which guaranteed in March of each year, for total reported guaranteed money of $35m. Cap hits are $6.8m, $9.8m, $12.8m, $10.8m, and $11.05m. Free agent in 2020.

My projection was five years, $46m. This is a little higher, but not much, $10.25m/year. Strong compensation for a lockdown LT, even though he's been struggling so far this year. Team friendly structure, we could cut him at any point after this season and not owe him anything else, but the dead money in 2016 would be $11.2m, and then would be reduced by $2.8m each year thereafter. Safe to say we don't expect we'll have to cut him, so it's a moot point.

Finally. Per Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/anthony-castonzo/

It's five years, $51.25m, with $18m fully guaranteed. Signing bonus is $14m, and the 2015 salary is $4m, and that's the fully guaranteed money. Salaries + roster bonuses in 2016 and 2017 of $7m and $10m which guaranteed in March of each year, for total reported guaranteed money of $35m. Cap hits are $6.8m, $9.8m, $12.8m, $10.8m, and $11.05m. Free agent in 2020.

My projection was five years, $46m. This is a little higher, but not much, $10.25m/year. Strong compensation for a lockdown LT, even though he's been struggling so far this year. Team friendly structure, we could cut him at any point after this season and not owe him anything else, but the dead money in 2016 would be $11.2m, and then would be reduced by $2.8m each year thereafter. Safe to say we don't expect we'll have to cut him, so it's a moot point.

How much was Cherilus's contract compared to this? I forgot. Seems like Castonzos contract is only slightly bigger and for a real lineman.

How much was Cherilus's contract compared to this? I forgot. Seems like Castonzos contract is only slightly bigger and for a real lineman.

Going by memory and Superman will correct me when I'm wrong....

I think Gosder was 5/34.5    6.9 per year.

I think roughly 10m will guaranteed.

Don't recall the other numbers accept that the salary for the 5th and 5th years was 9.9 mill per year which was never going to happen.     So, it was basically a 3-year deal for roughly 15 Mill total and he only last two years....

Going by memory and Superman will correct me when I'm wrong....

I think Gosder was 5/34.5    6.9 per year.

I think roughly 10m will guaranteed.

Don't recall the other numbers accept that the salary for the 5th and 5th years was 9.9 mill per year which was never going to happen.     So, it was basically a 3-year deal for roughly 15 Mill total and he only last two years....

Ah, that sounds right. Appreciate it. For some reason I was thinking he got 8 million. 

Just an observational note.  The contract seems set up in a really odd way, it appears.  In 2016, his money is somewhat equally distributed between base salary, signing bonus, and roster bonus.  In 2017, he's getting almost 3/4 of his total money from his roster bonus.  In 2018 and 2019, the roster bonus drops down to $2 mil and his base salary jumps to more than half of his total money.  Is it normal for the money in a contract to fluctuate so much in terms of where it comes from?  What's the advantage of something like this?  Do we expect something to happen in 2017 and that's why his roster bonus is so high that year?

Just an observational note.  The contract seems set up in a really odd way, it appears.  In 2016, his money is somewhat equally distributed between base salary, signing bonus, and roster bonus.  In 2017, he's getting almost 3/4 of his total money from his roster bonus.  In 2018 and 2019, the roster bonus drops down to $2 mil and his base salary jumps to more than half of his total money.  Is it normal for the money in a contract to fluctuate so much in terms of where it comes from?  What's the advantage of something like this?  Do we expect something to happen in 2017 and that's why his roster bonus is so high that year?

I believe with deals like this they will move the money around like that to keep the cap number down.

We are taking too little of a hit next year

Yeah, you'd think they'd max the number next year in Luck's cheapest year going forward.  I really worry about how hamstrung we are going to be going forward with Luck's contract.   Anyone think he'll take less than the biggest contract ever? 

The advantage for the player is that, technically speaking, he can get that full roster bonus in one lump sum. And if the team ever did intend to get rid of him, they would need to do so before the roster bonus goes guaranteed in March, so the player would have the benefit of being available during free agency. Other than that, there's really no difference. The team can rework the contract just the same whether it's a roster bonus or regular salary, because they're both treated the same for cap purposes. So whatever the motivation is, it's likely at the request of the player. 

Yeah, you'd think they'd max the number next year in Luck's cheapest year going forward.  I really worry about how hamstrung we are going to be going forward with Luck's contract.   Anyone think he'll take less than the biggest contract ever? 

I don't know for sure what kind of contract Luck will get, but we'll be fine, cap-wise. Check out the link below. I'm a little light on AC, but was pretty much right on with Hilton. I'm likely high on Fleener and Allen, and we likely don't keep both of them, if we keep either of them. My projection has us releasing D'Qwell, which isn't a given with how well he's played the last two games. Replace that release with Art Jones and we're back on track. We're set to go into 2016 with $25-30m in cap space. Free agents will include Freeman, Toler, Hasselbeck, AV, Doyle, Lowery... And based on my numbers, 2016 is really the only year we'd be tight.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/38882-cap-projections-w-main-guys/

I don't know for sure what kind of contract Luck will get, but we'll be fine, cap-wise. Check out the link below. I'm a little light on AC, but was pretty much right on with Hilton. I'm likely high on Fleener and Allen, and we likely don't keep both of them, if we keep either of them. My projection has us releasing D'Qwell, which isn't a given with how well he's played the last two games. Replace that release with Art Jones and we're back on track. We're set to go into 2016 with $25-30m in cap space. Free agents will include Freeman, Toler, Hasselbeck, AV, Doyle, Lowery... And based on my numbers, 2016 is really the only year we'd be tight.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/38882-cap-projections-w-main-guys/

Interesting... that's good news then I guess.  I would like to see us keep both TE's, otherwise we'll need to draft one and we still need to keep revamping all our aging position groups.  Unless they are unreasonable is there a reason why we wouldn't sign both of them?  (Injury perhaps is an issue, but that should drive his price down and he's a much better blocker/receiver combo than anyone else.

Interesting... that's good news then I guess.  I would like to see us keep both TE's, otherwise we'll need to draft one and we still need to keep revamping all our aging position groups.  Unless they are unreasonable is there a reason why we wouldn't sign both of them?  (Injury perhaps is an issue, but that should drive his price down and he's a much better blocker/receiver combo than anyone else.

If Allen accepts a reasonable offer, then I'm fine with keeping him, but he's been injured and less than 100% for three straight years now. Still three months to go in the season, so maybe that all changes.

But the overall reality is that you can't keep everyone. We haven't had many cap casualties because we haven't had any good players reach free agency, but every team loses good players to free agency. That's why good drafting is the key to building a strong roster and contending in the long term. And losing a TE isn't that drastic, because the replacement cost isn't that high.