Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I feel obligated to say....good job!

Rally5

I've been a fairly outspoken critic of Pep's game planning and play calling.  I must say I think the last two games have been very well planned and called.  To me, there's a clear distinction between how we plan with Luck and how we plan with Hasselbeck.  It's my hope that two big things come from these last two games:

1.  We game plan differently with Andrew.  This formula works and if we add a strategic down field passing game it would be amazing.

2.  Andrew learns and sees a different way to execute in this offense.

This has been dynamic, creative and functional the last two games with no picks and I'm not sure there's even been a sack.  This solution with Andrew skill would be formidable.  Good job to Pep, I'm thrilled to be able to say that and let's keep these concepts rolling!

I've been a fairly outspoken critic of Pep's game planning and play calling.  I must say I think the last two games have been very well planned and called.  To me, there's a clear distinction between how we plan with Luck and how we plan with Hasselbeck.  It's my hope that two big things come from these last two games:

1.  We game plan differently with Andrew.  This formula works and if we add a strategic down field passing game it would be amazing.

This has been dynamic, creative and functional the last two games with no picks and I'm not sure there's even been a sack.  This solution with Andrew skill would be formidable.  Good job to Pep, I'm thrilled to be able to say that and let's keep these concepts rolling!

There's that, and there's also the fact that Andrew will pass up the short throw and wait for the long route to get open.  That's on him.

What I loved was the protection schemes they used.  MH was rarely under duress, 

There's that, and there's also the fact that Andrew will pass up the short throw and wait for the long route to get open.  That's on him.

Indeed, Watt was irrelevant, very solid!  Agreed on Andrew.  He's not perfect, great learning opportunity!

I think people are giving way way too much credit to Pep having made some miraculous changes to his poor game plans he never has shown the ability to do before. I bet pep hardly did anything different than usual in his game plan.

The REAL honest difference has been the fact that this has been a dramatic display of how poor Luck is at reading D and making play changes at the line. It always seems Luck usually just takes whatever play is called by pep and doesn't ever change if the D does something different.

In contrast we saw a huge difference when Hasslebeck used his experience and made big play changes at the line when the D did things he saw. In fact THOSE play calls Matt made at the line is what was responsible for nearly every single big play Thursday nite.

If Luck would have been playing those big plays would never have happened. Luck just does not have abilities to do that crucial play calling at the line and it shows. It shows even more after watching Hasslebeck do a good job at it for two games. You watch, when Luck comes back it will be back to the way it looked before.

Hasslebeck deserves the credit for better game execution, not Pep.

I think people are giving way way too much credit to Pep having made some miraculous changes to his poor game plans he never has shown the ability to do before. I bet pep hardly did anything different than usual in his game plan.

The REAL honest difference has been the fact that this has been a dramatic display of how poor Luck is at reading D and making play changes at the line. It always seems Luck usually just takes whatever play is called by pep and doesn't ever change if the D does something different.

In contrast we saw a huge difference when Hasslebeck used his experience and made big play changes at the line when the D did things he saw. In fact THOSE play calls Matt made at the line is what was responsible for nearly every single big play Thursday nite.

If Luck would have been playing those big plays would never have happened. Luck just does not have abilities to do that crucial play calling at the line and it shows. It shows even more after watching Hasslebeck do a good job at it for two games.

I really agree with you.  Pep is a west coast offensive guy and so is Hasselbeck.  Its a good fit.  Some how Andrew has morphed into this down field gunslinger.  The reality is that he's not reading defenses as well as he needs to be.  Hasselbeck has thrown 76 times in 2 games and has no picks!  I hope Andrew isn't just sitting on the sidelines cheering like a little kid (which is cool) but is absorbing what the old man is doing on the field.  The throw to TY to seal the game was so clutch.

If Luck would have been playing those things would never have happened. Luck just does not have abilities to do that crucial play calling at the line and it shows. It shows even more after watching Hasslebeck do a good job at it for two games.

I somewhat disagree, there were protection changes, designed rollouts and quite frankly unpredictable play calling that really has made a difference.  You'll recall our "power running game" attempts putting us is constant third and longs?  Max protect schemes with down field passing plays? 

Interesting, Hasselbeck has run several empty sets using the short passing game.  That doesn't scream "max protect." By virtue of quick distribution the rush can't get there.  We' haven't seen this recently (I've been screaming for it) ;) It's been a controlled passing game and timely effective runs.  This has looked more like the Pats and what they do with Brady, short, controlled, safe, methodical.

I make no mistake, Andrew has made his contributions to poor execution but I see decidedly different schemes and play calling. There have been some brilliant play calls the last couple games, I couldn't be more pleased with what I've seen the last two games, I really hope it carries forward.   Like I said after we went 0-2, chemistry is different every year, it's ok to learn now in order to excel late, let's secure the South and play our best football in December/ January! :) 

Hasselbeck did a phenomenal job given the circumstances. The gameplan has appeared to change slightly with Hasselbeck at QB with more rollouts and shorter, quicker routes. This will need to be the same heading into the New England game regardless if Luck plays or not.

Im not disagreeing with you but the first two games of this season in particular I did not see many "short routes" being run. JMO

I really agree with you.  Pep is a west coast offensive guy and so is Hasselbeck.  Its a good fit.  Some how Andrew has morphed into this down field gunslinger.  The reality is that he's not reading defenses as well as he needs to be.  Hasselbeck has thrown 76 times in 2 games and has no picks!  I hope Andrew isn't just sitting on the sidelines cheering like a little kid (which is cool) but is absorbing what the old man is doing on the field.  The throw to TY to seal the game was so clutch.

That pass was positively "Peyton-like" and caught everyone by surprise.

Im not disagreeing with you but the first two games of this season in particular I did not see many "short routes" being run. JMO

You may be right.  I have a hard time re-watching those games.  I think there were checkdowns available, but I could be wrong.

From the end of the Titans game on, it seems like Pep has embraced the west coast offense.

Once we get Frank Gore going it opens up opportunities for us to pick the secondary apart. Matt has been a complete game manager i will say that and the OL has been freaking great.  

There were some that were missed. But not enough, especially against the blitz. Lots of third downs with no hot options underneath, and no one coming across the middle.

The Real question is do you guys think Luck will keep running this style of offense (Pats, Steelers) or will he continue with the Gunslinger game plan?

That's the $64,000 question. (don't ask, it makes me feel older than I am) :) Judging from the way Andrew was studious (he was so focused in on this game) last night, you might very well see the perfect mix coming from him when he resumes play. Something caught his eye and sway during this game. As if a gargantuan light bulb went off in his mind. It'll be interesting to see what exactly this was.

The Real question is do you guys think Luck will keep running this style of offense (Pats, Steelers) or will he continue with the Gunslinger game plan?

Andrew hasn't watched a game since we was 10 yrs old (I'm guessing) I strongly suspect he's a learner and an unintended benefit from this injury/time off has been to see another way and a more successful way to run this offense.  He wants to win, I think he'll adjust. Peyton went through this too when Dungy came to town.  He was a turnover machine for the first 4 yrs.   I think the same goes for Pep, he was forced to think differently and eureka, we found something that works really well.

That's the $64,000 question. (don't ask, it makes me feel older than I am) :) Judging from the way Andrew was studious (he was so focused in on this game) last night, you might very well see the perfect mix coming from him when he resumes play. Something caught his eye and sway during this game. As if a gargantuan light bulb went off in his mind. It'll be interesting to see what exactly this was.

Those last 3 sentences are intriguing. You now have my attention. Explain please, because that sounds awesome.

Those last 3 sentences are intriguing. You now have my attention. Explain please, because that sounds awesome.

Lets just say that I have access to people across the country in many NFL cities. Some of those were witness to last night's game. The information I received via these contacts verified what I put up recently on the board. From what was sent to me, it clearly indicates that Andrew was "enlightened". Take that for what it's worth. I'm really not at liberty to expound further on who/what/when/where/how.

If you can focus on all the sideline shots from CBS/NFL Networks when Andrew was being pictured, it gives you the perspective as well.

He was not only enjoying the game from a "rooting the troops on" aspect, he clearly saw things that was indicative of one who is soaking up info at a fast pace. (and mostly smiling the whole time)

Lets just say that I have access to people across the country in many NFL cities. Some of those were witness to last night's game. The information I received via these contacts verified what I put up recently on the board. From what was sent to me, it clearly indicates that Andrew was "enlightened". Take that for what it's worth. I'm really not at liberty to expound further on who/what/when/where/how.

If you can focus on all the sideline shots from CBS/NFL Networks when Andrew was being pictured, it gives you the perspective as well.

He was not only enjoying the game from a "rooting the troops on" aspect, he clearly saw things that was indicative of one who is soaking up info at a fast pace. (and mostly smiling the whole time)

That's interesting. I was mainly watching Argentina, unfortunately taking it up the A, vs Ecuador. But when I was watching the Colts it seemed Luck was as giddy as a kid watching Manning win the superbowl. If you're right then that is awesome.

I see some "will luck run this type of offense statement" um I doubt he would want to run the other idk how it isn't obvious to anyone that they changed the scheme after he got hurt..he never had any designed roll outs we never did playaction that often so luck deciding what type of offense is irrelevant it's what pep decides for him

That's interesting. I was mainly watching Argentina, unfortunately taking it up the A, vs Ecuador. But when I was watching the Colts it seemed Luck was as giddy as a kid watching Manning win the superbowl. If you're right then that is awesome.

I surely hope that's the case. We'll see.