Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

who is the team to beat in the AFC

akacoltsfan18

So this morning I turn on ESPN first take like I do every morning and I hear this jibber jabber saying the colts will only go 6-10 this year, and With all the recent transactions the colts have not only fallen behind in the division (to the texans)but in the entire AFC!! I don't know how these analysts can make such assumptions but the the 1st three letters of that word say it all..

Quoit possibly you may agree with those statements but I would love 2 hear your take on it since we've already heard what ESPN analysis had 2 say.....

Honestly I feel this could be the colts strongest team in years, but I could be extremely biased since I bleed blue!!

well as an outsider I'd say the colts have fallen behind...ie: ya gotta keep up with the Jones'.

However, and this is a big however, big acquistions while clearly making a team better is not a prerequisite to getting to the SB. Executing and playing as a team (chemistry) is a bigger factor. In that respect the colts roster is good enough to compete.

Who gets it together is an unknown thus predicting a SB by roster is no better than picking wild cherries at best.

To me, enjoy the season game by game. Fans have too much SB fixation these days.

Well I think the Colts and the Patriots are always contenders. I think the Chiefs are definitely becoming contenders, and until Ray Lewis is gone, the Ravens are too. The Steelers and the Jets are question marks. The Steelers never do well a year after being the SB, but I think they're still contenders. The Jets are losing their best players, Cromartie, Edwards, and LT gone, plus their D is getting older. I don't know, plus their QB is streaky and inconsistent. I think the team to watch out for is the Dolphins. So to answer your question: I think the Colts and the Patriots are teams to beat in the AFC

well as an outsider I'd say the colts have fallen behind...ie: ya gotta keep up with the Jones'.

However, and this is a big however, big acquistions while clearly making a team better is not a prerequisite to getting to the SB. Executing and playing as a team (chemistry) is a bigger factor. In that respect the colts roster is good enough to compete.

Who gets it together is an unknown thus predicting a SB by roster is no better than picking wild cherries at best.

To me, enjoy the season game by game. Fans have too much SB fixation these days.

I think the Colts are contenders, but hardly the team to beat. I'd go with the Steelers, Pats, and Jets before the Colts to be honest.

The Colts and Pats are almost always the best AFC teams, but it depends on a lot of factors. Injuries would be a huge factor that comes to mind, and you can't predict those. When healthy, I would say the Colts are the league's best team (yeah, maybe some homerism there...), but how often is a team completely healthy for 16 games and the playoffs

The Pats will likely take it down in the AFC this year. As usual they have put together an excellent roster of talent, having Woodhead and two young RBs will surely help them this year, and the recent additions of Haynesworth and 85 (I refuse to speak spanish) make them the clear winner in my eyes. Barring another no show from them in the playoffs I don't see another glaring choice. Indy always has a shot, but will have to play magnificent defense in the playoffs and therefore unlikely, Pittsburgh is always good but Tom Brady is their kryptonite, Jets are on the downslope and I would be surprised if they win more than ten this year, and the Ravens always have a chance and maybe their new components in the secondary will help them. Outside shot? KC would be insane...

Adding #85 no more makes the Patriots the team to beat than adding Moss did a few years ago. They added Moss but still didn't get another SB win. Like JJ said, it's all about chemistry. If simply adding big names to your team won you a SB then the Redskins would have had a couple of SB wins this past decade but that never happened. The Colts have always built from within and added a few FA's here and there to help fill in the gaps. I love the recent additions of Ernie Sims and Jamaal Anderson. I'd like to see a little more depth at DT (though Anderson will most definitely be playing a lot of DT for us) and in the secondary.

When it comes to the skill positions, I would venture to say that few teams have the same chemistry that the Colts do, especially on the offensive side of the ball. QB and WR are among the more difficult positions to come in and make an immediate impact because so much is determined by chemistry, timing, and learning the offense. Sure Ocho is a great receiver but it's going to take time for he and Brady to get their timing down and for Ocho to learn the Pats' playbook.

On the other hand, the OL is one of the easier positions for new guys to make an impact. It is quite common for first round O-lineman to become immediate starters and make an impact. Granted the Colts have a more complex offense and blocking schemes than a lot of teams but that doesn't mean the young guys can step in and make an impact right away.

As far as skill positions go, how many teams have had their core in place as long as the Colts have? Wayne, Garcon, Addai, Clark, Collie and Manning have been playing together for the past several years. Because of all of the injuries to Gonzo, Collie has had to play a lot more than he otherwise would have but that has only made him a better player and allowed him to develop his chemistry with the team. And with Clark going down last year, Tamme was forced into the spotlight and he more than exceeded expectations. If by some freak of a chance Gonzo can stay healthy then that's all the better.

On the defensive side, yes we've lost a few players, but look at the past 10 years and you'll see the players we've lost are the kind of players we've always let go. DT, LB and CB have always been revolving-door positions.

The Colts have always been built with an offense that can't be stopped and a defense that plays well when we have the lead. I think this year our offense will be even more potent than in previous years due to the flexibility we'll have provided people stay healthy. We can go spread with any combination of Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Clark, Tamme or even Addai spread out. Also throw in Blair White when he heals up. On the other hand, they could go with a bigger 3 TE set with Clark, Tamme, Eldridge with Addai in the backfield and any of the receivers spread out. They could even move Eldridge into the backfield to play a pseudo FB since he's primarily used as a blocker anyway, but he could still make catches out of the backfield as well as any other FB would. Plus, even if defenses somehow figure out how to stop everyone else, they still have to worry about Manning running a 25 yard naked bootleg. lol (yes that was a joke, that was pretty much a one-time thing)

On another note though, I think this is or at least should be a make or break year for Gonzo and Donald Brown. If Gonzo has another injury riddled year then drop him. If Donald Brown can't consistently improve his running then drop him too. Brown does need help from the OL of course, but compared to the other backs I really don't think he's lived up to the expectations we had for him as a first round pick. He did have a few flashes last year so I'm not giving up on him, but overall his consistency needs to improve.

Adding #85 no more makes the Patriots the team to beat than adding Moss did a few years ago. They added Moss but still didn't get another SB win. Like JJ said, it's all about chemistry. .

I plan to add to this thread but wanted to respond to this point first . . . if you remember in 2007 Pats and Moss went 18-0, something that have NEVER been done before . . . and it was Moss that scored the go ahead TD in SB 42, had the D made one of a number of plays on that last drive, the Pats win SB42 and go 19-0 . . . what the D failed to do on that last drive had nothing to do with Moss, big or little names, or team chemistry . . .

I know there are some out there that are hating on Moss, not saying you Jason, but as he has retire the haters in the media are going to hate . . . it was not Moss's fault they lost SB42 . . .

As for #85 he will help but not as much as Moss did, but he will add some depth to the roster and should provide 500-700 yards in receiving absent injury. . .

And yes i do agree with you adding big names is not a guarantee to success as some fans, teams, and the media think, so agree 100% . . . it is about chemisty as you & jj indicated . . . so we'll see how the pats do with the additions . . . but as for Moss he was a bigger help to our team than most think and he did come as billed to our team . . . i will have to respectfully disagree with you with respect to the Moss addition to the Pats . . .

I plan to add to this thread but wanted to respond to this point first . . . if you remember in 2007 Pats and Moss went 18-0, something that have NEVER been done before . . . and it was Moss that scored the go ahead TD in SB 42, had the D made one of a number of plays on that last drive, the Pats win SB42 and go 19-0 . . . what the D failed to do on that last drive had NOTHING to do with Moss, big or little names, or team chemistry . . .

I know there are some out there that are hating on Moss, not saying you Jason, but as he has retire the haters in the media are going to hate . . . it was not Moss's fault they lost SB42 . . .

As for #85 he will help but not as much as Moss did, but he will add some depth to the roster and should provide 500-700 yards in receiving absent injury. . .

Very true and I'm not saying that they won't be a great team, they always are. I'm just saying that it doesn't mean that all hope is lost and that it's way too early to crown the Pats as champs like a lot of people (primarily the media) always like to do. They can still be defeated now just like they could then, even if their only loss was in the SB, the point was that bringing him in didn't guarantee them a championship. Just like you said, their defense just couldn't make the stop when they needed to, which just adds to my point that one guy does not make them immediate champs because it's a team sport. :)

I never said Moss wasn't a great addition to the team. The point was simply that when they signed him, everyone (primarily the media) was crowning them as champs before their first season with him even started. Anyone who says he wasn't a great addition to the team when he was signed is either crazy or wearing blinders.

I also didn't mean to imply anything negative about Moss either. I was in no way hating on him and I never said it was his fault they lost the SB. Quite the contrary, I was a huge fan of his during his early Vikings days because I was also a big Vikings fan at the time. He was an extraordinary deep threat receiver, perhaps one of the best ever.

Kinda like how they all said Manning was slipping last year.. ya, that really paned out for them considering the colts made the playoffs again. People like to sturr crap about the colts, jealousy. Plane and simple.

the simple fact was that Peyton did slip last year, not in the his skills are deteroiating slippage, but he did have an off year, not that different than TB in 2009 . . . neither were really near the top at their positions . . . made some key bonehead plays at key times in the regular season . . . i was not surprised that the Pats got smoked by the Ravens in the playoffs, wasn't happy about it but did not have a great deal of expectations with the way TB was playing . . . plus welker going down

so yes PM did have an off year last, i don't care what stats you throw my way as the colts played the worst Ds in the NFL last year, the colts play 8 games against the bottom 5 Ds against the pass. . . just like TB in '09 great year stats wize but simply off overall . . .

however, i don't see that happening again this year with PM, but time will tell . . . so the haters out there that want to jump on PM's off year last year are going to get all excited and expect/predict a repeat . . . which is unlikely . . . but the haters will point to last year . . .

altho the colts did end up 10-6 and made the playoffs dispite the injuries and off running game, there were in a weak division which helped them . . . we'll see how this year goes . . .if the colts running game does not improve it is going to be tough . . . it is unlikely that the colts will have the same amount of injuries, so that should help . . .

but i am not sure if the other teams in the AFC South have improved enough to over take the colts in the division . . .

as for colts i see them (presently) as a step below the top teams in the AFC, and as long as they have PM and WRs with two legs they will be competitive . . . for me I knid of see the pats, ravens, steelers in one bunch followed closing behind the colts, Jets, and Chargers, with presently the colts in the lead of this pack . . .

surely anything can happened, but i don't see the colts going 6-10, unless they have the rash of injuries as they had last year and a few bounces not going their way . . .

Very true and I'm not saying that they won't be a great team, they always are. I'm just saying that it doesn't mean that all hope is lost and that it's way too early to crown the Pats as champs like a lot of people (primarily the media) always like to do. They can still be defeated now just like they could then, even if their only loss was in the SB, the point was that bringing him in didn't guarantee them a championship. Just like you said, their defense just couldn't make the stop when they needed to, which just adds to my point that one guy does not make them immediate champs because it's a team sport. :)

I never said Moss wasn't a great addition to the team. The point was simply that when they signed him, everyone (primarily the media) was crowning them as champs before their first season with him even started. Anyone who says he wasn't a great addition to the team when he was signed is either crazy or wearing blinders.

I also didn't mean to imply anything negative about Moss either. I was in no way hating on him and I never said it was his fault they lost the SB. Quite the contrary, I was a huge fan of his during his early Vikings days because I was also a big Vikings fan at the time. He was an extraordinary deep threat receiver, perhaps one of the best ever.

yah i think we are in agreement, i saw you first part of your post and wanted to make point, then was thinking about toning it down or deleting my reply . . . i was just blowing off steam as to some of the comments that i have heard today about Moss and after a good healthly fight with a buddy of my Saturday at a pub, he hates Moss and loves to say "we never won with Moss" and kind of proud of it even tho it meant this team had to loss so he could prove his point . . . and I dislike Michael Felger for the same reason

so i am sorry that I jump the gun on ya :corner:

not have heard about every one crowning the * . . and yes agree 100% a few additions are not going to make the difference from a contender to bet the house on the team . . . 85 is solid player and will add depth but not sure if he will be a game changer, i think he will help tho more than most think . . .

and Big Al is a wild card, he made come in here and play well just to spite the nation, we'll see . . .

the only defense that I can think of to all of the crown their behind media people is that they might look at last year and as 14-2 plus a few keys components makes them a favorite . . . i don't thnk crowning anyone before the season is smart, you still got to win in Jan and we got woped last Jan by the Jets even tho we were 14-2 . . .

ANSWER: It certainly isn't the Ernie Sims led Colts.

2006: Sims was yet another Matt Millen overdraft - he was taken ninth overall despite serious concussion issues in college. So far, he's been most noted in the NFL as a rangy but undisciplined player who tends to whiff mightily in space.

Adding #85 no more makes the Patriots the team to beat than adding Moss did a few years ago. They added Moss but still didn't get another SB win. Like JJ said, it's all about chemistry. If simply adding big names to your team won you a SB then the Redskins would have had a couple of SB wins this past decade but that never happened. The Colts have always built from within and added a few FA's here and there to help fill in the gaps. I love the recent additions of Ernie Sims and Jamaal Anderson. I'd like to see a little more depth at DT (though Anderson will most definitely be playing a lot of DT for us) and in the secondary.

When it comes to the skill positions, I would venture to say that few teams have the same chemistry that the Colts do, especially on the offensive side of the ball. QB and WR are among the more difficult positions to come in and make an immediate impact because so much is determined by chemistry, timing, and learning the offense. Sure Ocho is a great receiver but it's going to take time for he and Brady to get their timing down and for Ocho to learn the Pats' playbook.

On the other hand, the OL is one of the easier positions for new guys to make an impact. It is quite common for first round O-lineman to become immediate starters and make an impact. Granted the Colts have a more complex offense and blocking schemes than a lot of teams but that doesn't mean the young guys can step in and make an impact right away.

As far as skill positions go, how many teams have had their core in place as long as the Colts have? Wayne, Garcon, Addai, Clark, Collie and Manning have been playing together for the past several years. Because of all of the injuries to Gonzo, Collie has had to play a lot more than he otherwise would have but that has only made him a better player and allowed him to develop his chemistry with the team. And with Clark going down last year, Tamme was forced into the spotlight and he more than exceeded expectations. If by some freak of a chance Gonzo can stay healthy then that's all the better.

On the defensive side, yes we've lost a few players, but look at the past 10 years and you'll see the players we've lost are the kind of players we've always let go. DT, LB and CB have always been revolving-door positions.

The Colts have always been built with an offense that can't be stopped and a defense that plays well when we have the lead. I think this year our offense will be even more potent than in previous years due to the flexibility we'll have provided people stay healthy. We can go spread with any combination of Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Clark, Tamme or even Addai spread out. Also throw in Blair White when he heals up. On the other hand, they could go with a bigger 3 TE set with Clark, Tamme, Eldridge with Addai in the backfield and any of the receivers spread out. They could even move Eldridge into the backfield to play a pseudo FB since he's primarily used as a blocker anyway, but he could still make catches out of the backfield as well as any other FB would. Plus, even if defenses somehow figure out how to stop everyone else, they still have to worry about Manning running a 25 yard naked bootleg. lol (yes that was a joke, that was pretty much a one-time thing)

On another note though, I think this is or at least should be a make or break year for Gonzo and Donald Brown. If Gonzo has another injury riddled year then drop him. If Donald Brown can't consistently improve his running then drop him too. Brown does need help from the OL of course, but compared to the other backs I really don't think he's lived up to the expectations we had for him as a first round pick. He did have a few flashes last year so I'm not giving up on him, but overall his consistency needs to improve.

i agree with most of what u said . . .i guess one point i might add is that Gonzo may not be as important as some might think, beyond providing depth . . . if the colts are all healthy and they can improve the running game, the colts will be more a reflection of the 2009 colts than the 2010 colts . . . and I don't see PM repeating that three game stint he had last season . . . once in a career maybe, but not back to back seasons . . .

The Brady to Ocho connection is going to be VERY tough. Anyone who argues otherwise is just being willfully ignorant, the same way they were when they said the Brady to Moss connection wouldn't work. It is literally only by miracle that they didn' have the perfect season...

I don't think they'll break the Brady/Moss records of 2007, but they're going to get close.

And they may have a team around them that can get the hardware that the Brady to Moss connection couldn't...

The bottom line with media nitwits "predicting" the downfall of the Colts (or anyone else) year in and year out is that's it's another ticket in the raffle drum. If their reasoning (W.A.G.) happens to coincide with a down year they'll "claim it." So what. Kinda like predicting the end of the world as we know it. If ten billion people pick a day each, sequentially, somebody is going to "hit on it" but has nothing to do with reality.

The Colts have been close and/or at least in contention the past several years. All the team needs to be successful is to return healthy offensive starters and have the defense be middle of the pack....and I'm not talkin' just against the South. The Ravens for example - we own them and until I'm shown otherwise we still own them. The Jets barely got by us last year even though we were severely hobbled, and I very much like our chances against them this year while healthy. Our biggest challenges over recent memory have been NE, PITT, SD....and it'll still be that way. Of those three I'm least concerned with NE. New NFL rules will help everyone's special teams, by default. We have to play the games but it appears on the offensive side we've improved, plus we'll get healthy starters back. The defense is still suspect, but I like our safety tandem, young LBs, and I think our young DTs will improve this year. There were stretches later in the season last year where they showed great promise. Will it be enough to be middle of the pack for a season? We'll see.

The Brady to Ocho connection is going to be VERY tough. Anyone who argues otherwise is just being willfully ignorant, the same way they were when they said the Brady to Moss connection wouldn't work. It is literally only by miracle that they didn' have the perfect season...

I don't think they'll break the Brady/Moss records of 2007, but they're going to get close.

And they may have a team around them that can get the hardware that the Brady to Moss connection couldn't...

not even the most die hard patty fan would claim the the chad johnson is going to have anything close to the impact that moss had....and he doesn't have to. he is just going to be nice compliment to the other talent they have on offense.

Getting on my soapbox here - I could not agree more with this post, particularly the last line.

We have been season ticket holders since 2000, but it was not until 2004 & 2005 that I really understood the impact of Colts games. That was when we started to tailgate with a large group of our friends and family. The game itself was only a part of the Sunday experience and every game day was a blast. After they lost to Pitt in the 2005 playoffs, I had a realization that while the loss sucked, it did not detract from the absolute great time we had over the course of the season.

Long story short - I cannot wait until the first preseason game and then after that, win or lose, I will be counting the days until the next home preseason game and then to the home opener after and so on and so on. At the end of the December let's count up the wins and go from there.

To the point of the thread - the Colts should be contenders again but calling them favorites at this point is stretching it.

Chad johnson(dont speak spanish) is allot easier to cover than Moss. It wont be near as big.

Chad johnson(dont speak spanish) is allot easier to cover than Moss. It wont be near as big.

lol don't worry, Chad Johnson doesn't speak Spanish either....if he did it would be Ochenta y Cinco, not Ocho Cinco. Ocho Cinco is eight-five, not eighty five. It would be like calling Manning One-Eight. I know I know, I think he gave some sort of cutesy reason why he did it the way he did but I've always thought it was stupid and can't believe he legally changed his name just to be able to put it on a jersey. I've always groaned anytime I've had to say Ochocinco.

Didn't he say he was legally changing his name back?

Whoever gets hot in the playoffs is the favorite for the SB, ala 2005 Steelers, 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants, 2010 Packers :-). Only in 2008 & 2009 have regular season performance carried over to the playoffs in the last 6 years, to be honest.

Injuries can change so many things between now and the playoffs. No such thing as a pre-season-SB favorite.

It's easily the Patriots - they have the reigning MVP and are coming off a 14-2 season while adding more talent to their roster this off-season. The Patriots have to be the clear pre-season favorites to emerge out of the AFC right now.

So this morning I turn on ESPN first take like I do every morning and I hear this jibber jabber saying the colts will only go 6-10 this year, and With all the recent transactions the colts have not only fallen behind in the division (to the texans)but in the entire AFC!! I don't know how these analysts can make such assumptions but the the 1st three letters of that word say it all..

It really comes down to betting against a streak. It would be like last year betting that Favre wouldn't finish the season or in 2009 the Falcons would have their first ever back to back winning season. You don't mention it ever again if you are wrong but look like a genius if you get it right.

Of course you are one of the teams to beat in the AFC.

I wouldn't be so sure. Chad Johnson has been a cancer on every team he has been on. Always causing PR problems and excessive celebration penalties. Moss was well behaved in Minnesota and he was just upset in Oakland because he was on a team that was going no where fast and he wanted to win. I'm calling it now that Johnson doesn't make it through the entire season with the pats. When he starts yelling at Brady for taking those 10 yard dumps to Welker when he is "Wide Open" we'll really see how the patriots really feel.

I honestly think the colts are the team to beat in the AFC just like I do every year. The offensive possabilities this year are staggering. With how well the backup players played last season combined with the vets that are no longer injured it is going to be a sweet offensive cocktail. If we can stay healthy we have the best shot to win it all.

on paper which is all we have here in August I say the Jets. they've been to the AFCC the last 2 years and have added/kept talent. and this is coming from a Pats fan. lots of contenders in th AFC as usual

They lost there best player this year... Brad Smith.

The colts are always in contention so long as #18 stays healthy.

However, most teams are making massive upgrads Jets, Eagles, and yeah the Pats.

It should be interesting.

I agree with the first line, but the Jets have not made any significant upgrades. If anything they downgraded. The Eagles are in the NFC, and the Pats have upgraded.

The Jets are the team to beat this coming season. The Chargers were first in offense and first in defense last year and maybe they will finall "surptrise" people. The Colts, Steelers, Pats will battle for every inch and all of them could go all the way. IF we are healthy we can beat everyone on any given day. Is there a "sleeper" anywhere this year?

I'd say the Patriots (Best record last year, new talent added, plus one year of experience for their last year's draft), then the Steelers (Superbowl contender last year), and then the Colts, in that order. I'm still a little hazy about our defense, but hopefully Harris will have something to add

The Jets are the team to beat this coming season. The Chargers were first in offense and first in defense last year and maybe they will finall "surptrise" people. The Colts, Steelers, Pats will battle for every inch and all of them could go all the way. IF we are healthy we can beat everyone on any given day. Is there a "sleeper" anywhere this year?

How do you figure the Jets got better this season?

They lost Brad Smith who will hurt their return game and remove the threat of a credible Wild Cat QB, they arguably downgraded from Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery to Plaxico and Derrick Mason (if they sign him), lost Damien Woody to retirment, lost Calvin Pace and did not address their biggest weakness on defense: pass rush at OLB spot but most importantly - Sanchez is still their starting QB

Sorry, I just don't see the Jets as being the team to beat - I expect the Patriots to clean their clocks this season