Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Texans did Mallet dirty

RockThatBlue

Mallett didn't get bench "for no good reason"....    Mallett got benched because Hoyer came in and gave the team a much needed spark.

It may not be fair,  but the Texans were fighting for their lives and you have to do what you have to do,  fair or not.

Even Phil Simms, a QB who knows about a QB controversy (Hostetler) said it was the right call......

Mallett is young enough to have another day somewhere down the road.    But sticking with Hoyer was the right thing to do.

I didn't get nervous into Hoyer came in and started moving them down the field. Texans stuck with what was working and made the game very competitive. Their coach made the right call. Though I did feel for Mallet. But those are the breaks. You have to make the most of your opportunities. Hoyer did that tonight.

Even though Hoyer still played pretty good, I thought it was messed up what they did with him and boy was he fuming angry on the sidelines.

Hoyer was apparently the better QB, that game at least.  I had a hunch they were going to leave Hoyer in once Mallet went out.  Wasn't shocked at all, now they have a QB controversy.  I'm assuming Hoyer will start next game, but anyone's guess is a good as mine.

O'Brien is managing the QB situation about as bad as a HC can. He keeps flip flopping and just messing with his two QBs. He should have just started Hoyer if he was going to pull Mallett after leaving for one play where he was injured as Mallett was playing well up to that point. That first drive would have been a TD most likely if Foster catches that ball. Houston is a real mess. As I expected, their defense was awful. Poor Watt. Got doubled all night and no one else stepped up. Clowney for sure is a beast but not ready to be a force yet. Their secondary was awful and makes me happy that Bill did not trade for Joseph. 

I really thought Hasselbeck played great. Hard to believe he is 40 as his movement was great. He threw well on the run, make the right checks at the line, threw with anticipation, played clean. I hope Luck was taking notes as the offense was really humming and hopefully something he can look to do when he gets back.

I feel for Mallet because he really wasn't doing bad, but at that point when Hoyer was playing as well as he did then it would have been silly to go back to Mallet.

Mallet didn't help himself on the sidelines though.  That sucks what happened to you but just go out there and be a team first guy.  Hoyer isn't likely to throw for 300 yards very often so you'll have your chance.  

Well in my opinion the coach did what he needed to do to try and win the game and Mallet needs to be a team player.

The game was a well played game and Hasselbeck did a great job tonight.    I feel confident with him being our backup  QB.  :thmup:

Hoyer came in and got them down the field fairly fast. I think at one time he was 17-18, he played well. The Texans should have started him, he scored two or three TD's last week against the Falcons in limited minutes. That last INT was a dagger though.

the fact he's played so well in releaf the past two weeks and Mallet pouted the rest of the game after he came out and the Texans still won't commit to Hoyer as their starter is a real head scratcher

the fact he's played so well in releaf the past two weeks and Mallet pouted the rest of the game after he came out and the Texans still won't commit to Hoyer as their starter is a real head scratcher

Their coach is kind of a * in my opinion.  He should have started Hoyer this week after what he did last week VS the Falcons.  He also got really really mad when Hoyer threw that last pick.  Maybe rightfully so but he played awesome the whole game(he kept them in it imo).  If he would have started maybe he wouldn't of had to go on that late drive to tie the game?  Who knows.  You're right tho, they need to pick one and stick to him.

you could see in mallet's eyes he was hoping for hoyer to fail. at least we know to never bring him in to back up here in indy

Yes. His attitude was not that of a good teammate. Too much sulking for too long. If he had done that just for 1 drive that he was yanked out of, it would have been understandable. He spent most of the rest of the time with that attitude. No high fiving for Hoyer, nothing that suggested to me that he was more than a selfish dude. He had things given to him in college but in the NFL, things are different and he has not adapted.

Even though Hoyer still played pretty good, I thought it was messed up what they did with him and boy was he fuming angry on the sidelines.

I wouldn't have done that...but then again I wouldn't have benched Hoyer after week 1....I've not been a big fan of Bill's decisions honestly....but I don't have a pulse for the team so I shouldn't say much.....but then again I don't know if he does either. I think Hoyer is the better qb...and Mallett the bigger talent/arm...but qb play didn't lose them the game...generating no pass rush on a 40 yr old qb hurt them.

Their coach is kind of a * in my opinion.  He should have started Hoyer this week after what he did last week VS the Falcons.  He also got really really mad when Hoyer threw that last pick.  Maybe rightfully so but he played awesome the whole game(he kept them in it imo).  If he would have started maybe he wouldn't of had to go on that late drive to tie the game?  Who knows.  You're right tho, they need to pick one and stick to him.

O' Brien put himself in the hot seat unable to watch a FG and flipping and flopping with his QBs. It was almost like "I have to be a bit mean to Hoyer too so that I don't come off as I am being mean only to Mallet", and thus he yelled out "why did you do that" at the end when Hoyer threw the INT.

He doesn't know what he wants to do and needs to do at this point to win games. He won't last past this year, IMO.

O' Brien put himself in the hot seat unable to watch a FG and flipping and flopping with his QBs. It was almost like "I have to be a bit mean to Hoyer too so that I don't come off as I am being mean only to Mallet", and thus he yelled out "why did you do that" at the end when Hoyer threw the INT.

He doesn't know what he wants to do and needs to do at this point to win games. He won't last past this year, IMO.

His only chance is to come out and name Hoyer his starter for the rest of the season, and say that's the deal no matter what. And that's not even a good idea. He's mismanaged his QB situation the whole way, and it's become obvious in recent weeks that he's just playing it by ear and has no convictions to fall back on. Proving true the old adage: If you have two QBs, you don't have a QB. 

The other thing is that the Texans roster isn't very good. They're bad at the offensive skill positions, outside of Hopkins and Foster they have no one, they have a bad secondary, and really it's just Watt and Clowney. Wilfork doesn't look good, Cushing is overrated... The team isn't all that talented, and they don't have a QB who can make big plays and bail them out, nor do they have anyone to really ramp things up for them. Watt is always at 1,000%, so when they need something extra, he can't give it to them. 

Having seen all three division teams in a row, I feel confident in saying that the Texans are the worst team in the division.

Yes. His attitude was not that of a good teammate. Too much sulking for too long. If he had done that just for 1 drive that he was yanked out of, it would have been understandable. He spent most of the rest of the time with that attitude. No high fiving for Hoyer, nothing that suggested to me that he was more than a selfish dude. He had things given to him in college but in the NFL, things are different and he has not adapted.

We talking about the same kid that went missing the next day after Hoyer got the starting job in training camp....I think this is pretty much him....there was a reason he fell so far in the draft when he was so gifted talent wise. Kid makes Jay Cutler look damn giddy.

His only chance is to come out and name Hoyer his starter for the rest of the season, and say that's the deal no matter what. And that's not even a good idea. He's mismanaged his QB situation the whole way, and it's become obvious in recent weeks that he's just playing it by ear and has no convictions to fall back on. Proving true the old adage: If you have two QBs, you don't have a QB. 

The other thing is that the Texans roster isn't very good. They're bad at the offensive skill positions, outside of Hopkins and Foster they have no one, they have a bad secondary, and really it's just Watt and Clowney. Wilfork doesn't look good, Cushing is overrated... The team isn't all that talented, and they don't have a QB who can make big plays and bail them out, nor do they have anyone to really ramp things up for them. Watt is always at 1,000%, so when they need something extra, he can't give it to them. 

Having seen all three division teams in a row, I feel confident in saying that the Texans are the worst team in the division.

Yes , I also don't see good roster .. certainly not nearly talented enough to make up for the disaster at QB. The 9-7 record last year had the benefit of playing in football's worst division , plus the last place schedule. 

To compound things , they have done a very poor job managing the cap . 

Ya'll would be right if this were a typical benching, but it wasn't. He got screwed and by the end of the game the whole team was screwed.

I never said it was typical, I understand exactly what happened, and why it happened.    And yeah, in the end Hoyer threw an interception, and there you have it.... :dunno:  Who knows what would have happened if Mallett had stayed in the game.  

My point was.... he sure doesn't seem like a team player, AT ALL.  He should have been happy when his team was doing well, and scoring, YET....  he seemed ticked off.   :scratch: