Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I didn't hate what they did with the running game

DalTXColtsFan

I was very pleased that they kept forcefeeding the ball to Gore, especially on first down, even when the run clearly wasn't working.

I would much rather see them at least TRY to run the ball than see them abandon it completely.

I wasn't a HUGE fan of so many of the run calls being on first down, but I'm not going to nitpick on that, because let's face it, if you want to be a SuperBowl-contending team you have to be able to run the ball even when the other team *knows* you're going to run the ball.  It also tempts the defense to sell out against the run on first down and set you up for a play-action pass later in the game.  Also, and perhaps most importantly, it gets the defense sick and tired of getting ramrodded by Frank Gore to the point where given enough opportunities he'll break one (and he did).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling 47 passes to 22 runs (I think that's what it was) playcalling balance, but let's be honest, if Luck had been the QB it probably would have been 57 to 12.

So what does everyone think?  Stick with the run and at least try for playcalling balance even when the run doesn't seem to be working as long as we're not down by 14 points?

I did, there were several times where i felt they should have ran the ball for instance. We were in OT its 2nd and 3 they threw the ball for a one yard completion ( i would've ran the ball). The very next play its 3rd and 2 and they pass again downfield incomplete to Moncrief we go three and out and are forced to punt. We aren't really running as much as we should. I mean it may have been an obvious run (granted they chose to pound the rock on second down) but that's what separates the boys from the men in the trenches. When the Opposition knows you're going to run and you dominate them doing exactly that. 

I'm all for establishing the run too.  I'd like to see the Colts run out of more passing formations though.

you and me both...heavy unbalanced formations for the majority of the running plays; only throwing in the occasional pass (and most of those are from the past 6 quarters of play)....

Gore is running very well, imo....but perhaps if the defenses we are facing had to do a little more guess work...and not as easily be able to narrow down possible play selections from the current formation...perhaps....

lol- oh, ill just say, "Smash Mouth, i agree."

What I didn't like is that when they ran, we knew they were running.  When they didn't run, we knew they weren't running.  What I would like to see are the formations where we are expecting them to run, and they instead do play action.  And when we are expecting them to pass, they run.

Drives me crazy, Pep's predictable, telegraphed game planning.