Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck partial shoulder subluxation (Merged)

RockThatBlue

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any medical experts care to enlighten us?

Subluxation means shoulder shifts. Key is if labrum is torn. If significant tear, surgery possible, otherwise rehab. https://t.co/TahIBC6DU1

— David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc)

October 5, 2015

Subluxation means shoulder shifts. Key is if labrum is torn. If significant tear, surgery possible, otherwise rehab.

Subluxation means shoulder shifts. Key is if labrum is torn. If significant tear, surgery possible, otherwise rehab. https://t.co/TahIBC6DU1

— David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc)

October 5, 2015

Was just about to post that tweet myself. I guess it's just a matter of how serious it is. I'm certainly not led to believe he will play on Thursday though.

did some research...

If you’ve ever felt the ball of your upper arm briefly pop out of its socket before returning to its normal position, you’ve experienced a shoulder subluxation. If you don’t notice the sensation of your joint opening up, you might mistake the subluxation for a pec strain or tear, since severe subluxations can cause intense shoulder pain where the pec and anterior delt meet. A subluxation can also be accompanied by damage to other parts of the joint, particularly erosion of the joint face. The injury is common among participants in contact sports and can make lifting problematic well after your days on the field or in the ring. Because the problem seems to “fix itself,” many people don’t have their subluxating shoulders examined until pain or frequency become serious, and the degree of damage worse than was needed.

Subluxations are generally caused when a stretched shoulder capsule is subjected to sudden trauma that dislodges the humerus from the shoulder socket. Since ligaments are inelastic and can’t reshorten themselves, this can be a chronic condition that worsens over time. Subluxations can also be caused by injuries to the labrum, which is a fibrous layer of cartilage on the scapula that forms part of the shoulder socket. Due to the limited blood flow the labrum receives, it is also largely incapable of repairing itself.

The shoulders are extremely reliant on soft tissues for stability and integrity in every movement aspect, so there are many situations that can cause or aggravate subluxations. The trauma can be compressive, such as when making a tackle or hitting the ground after a fall. The traction of missing a hard punch, absorbing a pull-up, or pulling a heavy deadlift can likewise cause problems. The end ranges of motions like snatches or swinging a baseball bat can cause a subluxation or further damage ligaments. 

If you have subluxation issues, see an ortho. I’ll tell you up front that at no point will it be a fun process. It’ll start with a doctor being able to uncouple your shoulder socket with a gentle tug. Any thoughts of your own impermeability will be vanquished by a guy dislocating your shoulder with the same effort he puts into opening a door. Depending on severity and the likelihood of lesions or other accompanying problems, the doc may recommend further investigation. The usual next step is an arthrogram, which involves injecting dye into your shoulder joint to help with subsequent x-ray, MRI, or CT scanning. If the results warrant surgery, your final step is a procedure to arthroscopically tighten your shoulder. A loose capsule will generally be reduced in size with incisions and sutures. Procedures for the labrum vary depending on the type of damage it’s sustained, though generally involve repairing the labrum or its connection to the biceps tendon.

Basically it sounds like a slight shoulder separation.    The shoulder goes back into place,  but it takes time for the muscles and tendons and everything else in the joint area to calm down.

Tough for anyone to know how long this will keep Luck out?

He could be back Thursday night.....

Or,   he could be back after the bye for the Patriots game.

No way to know at this point.....

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same but I had shoulder subluxation when I played HS football. My shoulder would "slip" out of socket when I would extend my arm to make a tackle. My whole arm would go numb and be very sore for a few days. I played defense and not QB so I was able to play through it. Doubt I would have been able to throw a ball well after.

Another thing to note is that once it started happening it never stopped. Still have issues with it today (almost 10 years later).

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same but I had shoulder subluxation when I played HS football. My shoulder would "slip" out of socket when I would extend my arm to make a tackle. My whole arm would go numb and be very sore for a few days. I played defense and not QB so I was able to play through it. Doubt I would have been able to throw a ball well after.

Another thing to note is that once it started happening it never stopped. Still have issues with it today (almost 10 years later).

Sounds about right. Was listening to Dakich earlier on 1070 and he said the very same thing. Once it happens once, it's easy for it to happen again.

Sounds about right. Was listening to Dakich earlier on 1070 and he said the very same thing. Once it happens once, it's easy for it to happen again.

So there's a chance it can be a recurring injury? Like any time he takes a tough hit, he could re-aggravate it?