Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is our defense actually better?

Chucklez

The eye test would say that yes, the defense is better than last year, but almost nothing would indicate that....

Our D gave up a total of 83 points by this time last year compared to the 93 this year.

• Our run D looks better to the eye this year, yet we are currently ranked 25th against the run.....  We were 15th against the run last year..... the rushing yards allowed per game is up from 113.4 per game last year to 119.5 per game this year.....

• Our secondary has been flat-out terrible, even considering the injuries... Currently ranked 23rd compared to 12th last season.

• Sacks wise, up to this point last year we had 8 sacks, compared to 5 this year.... (currently ranked 27th)

I get that our D has been put into some bad situations by our offense this year and that in that context, they have actually done a good job.... but not ranked higher than 23rd in ANY meaningful category is not exactly encouraging....

The eye test would say that yes, the defense is better than last year, but almost nothing would indicate that....

Our D gave up a total of 83 points by this time last year compared to the 93 this year.

• Our run D looks better to the eye this year, yet we are currently ranked 25th against the run.....  We were 15th against the run last year..... the rushing yards allowed per game is up from 113.4 per game last year to 119.5 per game this year.....

• Our secondary has been flat-out terrible, even considering the injuries... Currently ranked 23rd compared to 12th last season.

• Sacks wise, up to this point last year we had 8 sacks, compared to 5 this year.... (currently ranked 27th)

I get that our D has been put into some bad situations by our offense this year and that in that context, they have actually done a good job.... but not ranked higher than 23rd in ANY meaningful category is not exactly encouraging....

Dline and run defense is definitely improved. The secondary just needs to get healthy! The lack of pass rush is the achilles  heel for this unit. That puts tremendous pressure on the secondary and LBers when there isn't a pass rush

That's where we need improvement, and I don't think Mathis can be the lone horse

I think we improved in one area and took a big step back in another. Defensive line is geared up to stop the run which is great and we've done an okay job at it so far. Big help and leaders in Langford, Anderson, Parry. Our pass rush is nonexistent and we don't time the blitz well enough to create pressure. Secondary needs health and in a bad way. We are getting burnt back there.

Dline and run defense is definitely improved. The secondary just needs to get healthy! The lack of pass rush is the achilles  heel for this unit. That puts tremendous pressure on the secondary and LBers when there isn't a pass rush

That's where we need improvement, and I don't think Mathis can be the lone horse

I get what you're saying, it definitely does look improved, but numbers dont lie and we are giving up MORE yards per game on the ground than we were last year...

Injuries to the secondary has thrown the defense off.  They rely on good coverage to allow the rushers time to get to the QB.  Also the Offense has been putting the defense in terrible situations this year.  I think when Toler eventually comes back and Butler is ready(he clearly wasn't yesterday) and if the offense stops hurting themselves they will be much improved all around.

I get what you're saying, it definitely does look improved, but numbers dont lie and we are giving up MORE yards per game on the ground than we were last year...

Yards per game is not that good of a measure. It can vary based on the game situation (like when we are down a bunch and the other team is trying to ice the game). YPC would be a better indicator. The biggest problems with the defense come from the secondary not being healthy. It's limiting our ability to run press coverage and we have been running lots of zone instead because our 5th and 6th corners just aren't talented enough for anything else. Combine that with the lack of a non blitz pass rush and we end up giving a lot of passing yards. Get toler healthy and mathis off the pitch count and I can see those areas turning around real quick and this time we have a decent d line to go with it.

You have to factor in the fact that our Offense did hold the ball alot more last year not allowing the opposing offense to be able to put up as many points. This year is a different story 

I am sure your stats are true, but our defense is even WORSE than those stats suggest.  We've played terrible teams all 4 weeks and as more games are played, we see how weak all 4 of them really are.  Houston, fortunately, is also terrible.  If Luck can play at 50% we should win, and even with H-man we might have a chance as the Texans just got hammered.   BUT... we're going to lose BADLY to NE, DEN, ATL, CAR, PITT (if Ben is back, otherwise we have a slight chance) and if Luck is more seriously injured where it becomes long term or nagging, we're barely going to scrape by to win our division likely with an 8-8 record perhaps 9-7. 10 wins is the absolute max possible at this point, but 8-8 and a game against Pittsburg in the playoffs first round seems to be staring us in the face.  Our only hope is to improve enough and be healthy enough to win round 1 before we have to go to NE for our annual slaughter.  I can't see a rosier outcome this season unless Brady gets hurt as well as Dalton, Manning, Smith or whoever else we might run into.  

I don't think any team in the league with the exception of the Patriot's (yuck) could do much better with the loss of so much defensive back playing time.  Vontae has held up well and the other players are hanging in exceptionally well, particularly at safety.  Linebacking has been pretty solid.  DQ is looking good.  More Robert Mathis can't hurt.  The D line will be remembered as the year these two young fellas from Stanford were drafted.  Kendall is playing very well.  If the offense can quit putting the defense in the woodshed all the time and the mending continues, I think a lot of folks on this site will love this D come playoff time.  Bleevit!

This is why I ignore stats. There is a way to spin numbers to prove whatever point is trying to be made.

The run defense is better. The D line is vastly improved. 

The secondary and pass coverage have taken a step back however. Even when we get Toler back it's not going to be a huge improvement as he is erratic at best. 

I think this team will keep New England to a logical rushing total this year.

But I think Brady shreds our secondary.

I agree about the pass rush, but I also believe Greg Manusky is having to stay pretty conservative much of the time with the DB injuries.  I was encouraged to see some good old Robert Mathis speed a few times Sunday.  Go Robert!

That's not just on the D-Line, though. How many runs have you seen stopped in the backfield this year, versus what we saw last year?

We have also been garbage on offense, which means teams are going to run the ball against us more. However, the runs that do get through our D-Line are going for 8 yards because our linebackers can't step up and tackle. Anderson has been a monster- a physical freak on the d-line, and he's only going to improve.

If our offense can start clicking, and getting drives together and scoring points, the defense's job becomes that much easier. Especially if we are ahead by a score or two and the opponent starts tossing the ball more, rather than handing it to the back and eating clock in close games.

We're giving up more yards per game because we've been down significantly in the first 3 games, so teams ran the ball more to kill the clock.  Here's what you should be looking at:

In 2014, we were down in DEN for most the game.  PHI was a run first team and we were close throughout.  However, against TEN and JAX, we blew them out.  In those 4 games, those teams ran for a combined 419 yards in 95 carries, a 4.41 average per rush.

In 2015, we were down all game long against BUF, NYJ, and TEN, where they rushed 90 times combined (almost the 95 in the first 4 games of last year).  Throw in JAX, and you have an additional 28 carries, where those 4 teams rushed for a total of 478 yards.  That's an average of 4.05 YPC.  

So yes, we have been better against hte run.  You're going to give up more yards when teams rush more times against you, you can't really do anything about that except keep the game closer or be winning those games so teams have to abandon the game plan and play catch-up by passing more.

That's not just on the D-Line, though. How many runs have you seen stopped in the backfield this year, versus what we saw last year?

We have also been garbage on offense, which means teams are going to run the ball against us more. However, the runs that do get through our D-Line are going for 8 yards because our linebackers can't step up and tackle. Anderson has been a monster- a physical freak on the d-line, and he's only going to improve.

If our offense can start clicking, and getting drives together and scoring points, the defense's job becomes that much easier. Especially if we are ahead by a score or two and the opponent starts tossing the ball more, rather than handing it to the back and eating clock in close games.

I'm not isolating any part of the D, I'm talking holistically.

I get that the offense has been putting them into cruddy positions, but the rush D in general is still looking bad numbers wise, even if it appears better to the eye.

Our offense last year was scoring points and sustaining drives.  Plus last years D at this point didn't have the entire starting secondary injured at any point leading up to this time of the year.   If our D from last year had this years offense those numbers would be vastly different. That team from last year could not manage being on the field as much as this team.

last year we were playing with leads people couldn't run as much this year is luxury for opposing offenses

The Pass rush is worse but I expected as much. The D-Line is greatly improved, even if it doesn't always show on paper. We have better talent there than last year.

The key is to just get better players. We transformed the D-Line in one offseason so it's not hard. Just apply the same formula to the pass rush and LB core.

Uhhm... no.... we weren't, have you been watching the same Colts as I have?This team has been plagued by slow starts.

We were playing with significant leads in 2 of the first 4 games last year.  It was 30-0 at the end of the first half against the Jags, and we were up 3 scores against hte Titans in the first possession in the 3rd.

Uhhm... no.... we weren't, have you been watching the same Colts as I have?This team has been plagued by slow starts.

I never said the entire season we didn't always have slow starts that started toward ending of the season middle or so

Regardless of the numbers (and I'm sure there are some metrics out there that would support this), we are a better run defense this year by far IMO.  Pass defense is worse.  Pass rush is worse.  I'm sure the injuries all play a part, but it is what it is, and we haven't faced an elite QB yet.

Blitzing from this team is the most disappointing of all.  When we got Pagano, I was imagining those imaginative, crazy blitzes and stunts Baltimore used to run.  When we blitz, you can almost guess where they're coming from.  And usually, all it does is create a big wall around the QB but with little penetration.   

The biggest difference in our defensive stats compared to last year is,

TN & the Jags have NFL  QB`s now.  Their coming!!

I think the numbers are not telling the whole story here. I feel that the run defense is leaps and bounds better than last year. We are suffering big time injuries in our secondary and we have a rookie playing safety (I will admit I have been impressed so far with Geathers). 

If you look back to the games Vontae missed last year I believe we were much worse against the run and the pass. I am sure that when we are back at 100% on the pass defense that you will see the pass defense and run defense numbers increase. 

The pass rush is another story entirely.

Its simple our defensive stats look worse because our overall offense performance has been way worse this yr... To the point every game is pretty much guarantee 3 and out first 3 series. .m that automatically puts our D in a bad spot

Good point. I wonder how many series the defense has been out on the field this year compared to last given our troubles on offense. 

Well our D Line is a lot better, We still have Linebackers that overrun gaps or don't keep contain (Newsome is absolutely horrific at it and that's why he cant get on the field...Cant rush the passer if you cant stop the run.......and he is again horrific at it). Other then that our D Line does get worn down but that's to be expected when your offense has been a mess up till your back up QB came in and demonstrates to your starting QB what a short pass is.

our pass rush is horrid , the fact that our stars on the d line are 2 rookies is good for the future but a very sad fact as of today. our offense hasn't been playing well enough to have a non-existent d-line. all the teams we've played so far have solid d lines and thats the biggest problems we're facing . we've had o line troubles for a long time and andrews been hit so many times that at some point you'd think grigs and irsay would realize , holy % we need d lineman . we didn't get suh , ngata , wilfork , very dark days indeed.

D'Quell Jackson leads the league in tackles as of today with 47. Freeman is tied for 37th with 39.  For defensive linemen, Henry Anderson is 7th with 21 tackles, while Langford is tied for 42nd with 11. Parry has 8 and Kerr has 7.

How does that fit into the picture?