Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts LB's - what's the deal?

lollygagger8

Questions more than anything: 

ILB: What's the deal with Irving and Moore not seeing the field? Are they injured, or not know the playbook or something ?

McNary was put in as soon as Freeman went down. I don't believe he's an upgrade at ILB. 

DQ: Good against the run. Period. 

Freeman: It seems he gets washed away/lost in the middle and can't disengage blocks very well. 

OLB: Why does Werner start to pass rush and then let up directly after? Is he that bad, or is he being asked to concentrate on stopping the run, and not get after the QB? 

He consistently disappears, and is often manhandled. He was thrown out of the way by the Jags TE on one of their runs.  

How come Newsome has disappeared? 

Mathis in limited play has produced pressure. I would assume his snap count is going to increase? 

Walden is playing great, and has really became a good player for us. 

Cole seems like he did slightly better at producing pressure against the Jags than his previous M.O. of jumping on the pile after the tackle has been made. I hope he's starting to trend up. 

Mathis has been very good in the limited time he has played. I think the staff is slowly getting him back into the mix and using caution. It's far better to have him play limited on key downs, as opposed to getting injured and missing the rest of the season again...

ILB: What's the deal with Irving and Moore not seeing the field? Are they injured, or not know the playbook or something ?

McNary was put in as soon as Freeman went down. I don't believe he's an upgrade at ILB. 

Freeman: It seems he gets washed away/lost in the middle and can't disengage blocks very well. 

OLB: Why does Werner start to pass rush and then let up directly after? Is he that bad, or is he being asked to concentrate on stopping the run, and not get after the QB? 

He consistently disappears, and is often manhandled. He was thrown out of the way by the Jags TE on one of their runs.  

Mathis in limited play has produced pressure. I would assume his snap count is going to increase? 

Cole seems like he did slightly better at producing pressure against the Jags than his previous M.O. of jumping on the pile after the tackle has been made. I hope he's starting to trend up. 

I posted the same last night, wondering why McNary got the nod ahead of Irving, who's listed as Freeman's back up. Moore has had a few snaps, but Irving outside of that goal line play a couple weeks ago, I haven't seen anything. I would expect Mathis to stay in his limited role. I don't think he can play 3 downs. It'd be too hard on him, IMO

The short answer is that the LB core just isn't good. Lot of underwhelming or adequate players, but that shouldn't be a surprise.

I think Moore definitely has the superior physical attributes and we know Irving was a run thumper in Denver. I think the problem is we have the wrong talent on the field.

ILB - I have no idea... I don't have a logical reason for why these 2 aren't becoming more regular but then again I'm not at practice.

McNary isn't an upgrade imo.  But I also see that he has experience in this unit and instead of risking blown assignments against a lack luster division opponent I can see the logic here.

DQ - I honestly think he has been over achieving as of late.  Which is great for us. 

Freeman hasn't been that much of a liability.  He has his weakness' but he has been playing better.

Werner - He doesn't have the burst to run it down.  So instead he squares up and doesn't let the play get behind him.  He plays within his physical limits and doesn't over pursue.  Can't complain too much when he isn't a pass rusher and shouldn't be used as one. 

Newsome is raw and a one trick pony.  If he can't do that one trick well...

Handling Mathis' snap count is very very important right now.  I'm fine with him being limited for at least 2 or 3 more games. 

Cole - I completely agree.  I hope this is the Cole we will be seeing in the future. 

Mathis should be getting more and more snaps each week. He wont keep getting 25 snaps a game when he's the best pass rusher on the team. I'd say here in a week or so he'll be starting and playing most of the game.

I'm not too sure about that. At his age the team may keep him on a snap count and only use him in obvious passing downs. It's better to have him in those situations than have him burned out as the season progresses. As we all know age does wear on you. ( well I do anyway) haha

I'm not too sure about that. At his age the team may keep him on a snap count and only use him in obvious passing downs. It's better to have him in those situations than have him burned out as the season progresses. As we all know age does wear on you. ( well I do anyway) haha

Yeah I see your point, but he looks just as quick and explosive as he did a couple years ago.

I think Moore definitely has the superior physical attributes and we know Irving was a run thumper in Denver. I think the problem is we have the wrong talent on the field.

You are correct. But outside of those 2 , the talent at inside and Outside LB is lacking. I could tell you who's to blame but you've probably heard that one already.

Walden isn`t playing great. He is mediocre. Your bias is laughable. JMO of course.

Moore got a great pressure late in the game causing an incomplete

He got a great pressure, yes, but it was a completed pass. It was the play that Moore and Anderson broke into the backfield, so fast that I thought it was a screen pass, and Bottles just floated a crap duck to his WR who caught it over a falling down Davis. Huge play in the game, I thought it was the final nail in our coffin.