Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to our Defense!

spartancolt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me the run D looked better without Freeman..minus the long run of Yeldon.

Is this a joke? I found the complete opposite. They did a good job containing Yeldon until late in the 2nd Q then he started to gain 4-6 yards consistently with long bursts of 10-20. Wasn't happening when Freeman was in.

Butler just needs to be in the slot. He is awful on the outside. He's ok in the slot. That's where he needs to be.

Now that's something I agree with. Butler was nearly ran out of the NFL because he couldn't cover the outside. I don't know why they continue playing him on the outside.

All in all I am happy with the performance today. Jackson probably had his best game as a Colt today. He was in on the run stops and was above average in pass coverage today especially in the 2nd half. We really could use Toler back as Butler is struggling outside. TBH I think it would be smarter to move Josh Thomas outside as he has played relatively well compared to the other choices. Keep Butler in the slot!!! Manusky needs to repeat this to himself several times to keep this in his long term memory.

Another interesting note from today's game is McNary coming in to replace Freeman. Where is Irving and Moore? I thought Moore looked great the couple times he was in the game especially blitzing.

Now that's something I agree with. Butler was nearly ran out of the NFL because he couldn't cover the outside. I don't know why they continue playing him on the outside.

Butler just needs to be in the slot. He is awful on the outside. He's ok in the slot. That's where he needs to be.

I agree that he's not good outside but neither is Jalil Brown. He was much worse last week. I think the coaches just want the best overall corner playing against the best wide receivers. Hopefully Toler comes back and everyone stays healthy so we don't have to worry about it.

They impressed me.

For the most part, held the run. There seemed to be alot of 3rd and longs. Mathis looked good i thought. Toler will improve the defense when back. Linebacker play was much , much better.

Overall, looked pretty good for seeming to be on the field all day. I think they will only get better as season progresses. They had some attitude as well.

Nobody else can play on the outside; we saw that in the first two weeks. Maybe Thomas can, but he's been here a week and a half, so who knows? We don't have enough good corners, that's for sure. Toler will help, and maybe D'Joun Smith can play, but he's still more than a month away, at least. For now, Thomas at least looks like a pro caliber player, even if he's nothing special.

We have to do something in regards to the pass rush. Mathis looks good and I saw a pressure or two from Cole but Newsome I'm disappointed with. Almost like he doesn't exist!

Newsome should move into Mathis's garage. Some of that "special" might rub off.

He can wash the car and take out the trash and lanscape as payment.

Once Brown went out with an injury, they had little choice.

Nobody else can play on the outside; we saw that in the first two weeks. Maybe Thomas can, but he's been here a week and a half, so who knows? We don't have enough good corners, that's for sure. Toler will help, and maybe D'Joun Smith can play, but he's still more than a month away, at least. For now, Thomas at least looks like a pro caliber player, even if he's nothing special.

I say take a chance on Thomas. He's nothing special as you said, but he at least he's respectable when covering the outside. Butler just looks lost and slow.

Point is..his replacement played well vs run and DQ played his best..stop looking at stats.

I was not looking at stats. I was looking at where the tackles came from. DQ played well to cover McNary. He played well for just getting back into shape, but it was up and down today while Freeman has been getting an unfair rep the last two games. The run D was better with Freeman in.