Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Manusky so far this year?

RockThatBlue

He's doing the best he can with the whole secondary being as banged up as it has been.  He's been forced to play a lot of zone defense which gets shredded in the NFL most of the time, especially without a pass rush.  Hopefully once they get the corners back the secondary will come around and he can get back to dialing up some more blitzs.  I also think Mathis being back can only help as he is used more and more. 

I think he's done ok so far but I base Greg Manusky on a different scale. Against average to subpar teams with limited offenses Greg is serviceable as dc BUT the PROBLEM with Greg has ALWAYS been his "vanilla" 3-4 scheme that ROUTINELY gets shredded against the better offenses of the league thus leading to Greg losing prior jobs as dc with different franchises. Yes the defense LOOKS better against the run but that is more of a product of the two rookies drafted by Grigs and the addition of Langford via FA. The Colts have too many LOPSIDED losses in the last couple of years in which elite teams with high powered offenses simply SCORED AT WILL against the Colts while the opposing qbs had career days lighting up the scoreboard while standing TALL in the pocket!! Greg relies MORE on the "base" 3-4 than the aggressive blitz happy style used to pressure opposing qbs. I'm not knocking Greg because he is who he is ALONG with the rest of THIS coaching staff that BENEFITED from catching some breaks in the playoffs last year. The Cincy team had won MAYBE 1 playoff game in 12yrs but also was MISSING it's STAR wr and rb in that game. Moving on to Denver Peyton was CLEARLY hurt and the Colts on talent ALONE were good enough to take advantage of THOSE situations but the REWARD was a PAT team that has given these Colts some of its most embarrassing losses under the Chuck regime. Given all the facts was it REALLY a surprise to WHAT would happened next.... :facepalm:  

I don't think he's doing enough to generate pass rush. Last year without 98, he was able to use the other players we had in different ways to get to the QB. This year, I think it's like 1 sack in 3 games we have.

Don't get me wrong, we're severely lacking in pass rush talent but we still need to find a way to pressure the QB, especially with the CB injuries.

Through the first 3 games I don't have many qualms with him or the defense. We are still getting exploited in the short passing game due to linebackers who can't cover. We are not getting consistent pass rush either. However our run defense looks better. Anderson, Parry and Langford have been pleasant surprises and I was wrong to dismiss these moves in the offseason. Glad to eat some crow there. Our secondary is playing well considering all of the injuries there. I'm proud of the way they are battling. Hopefully they improve even more after we get some guys back healthy.

I think he's done ok so far but I base Greg Manusky on a different scale. Against average to subpar teams with limited offenses Greg is serviceable as dc BUT the PROBLEM with Greg has ALWAYS been his "vanilla" 3-4 scheme that ROUTINELY gets shredded against the better offenses of the league thus leading to Greg losing prior jobs as dc with different franchises. Yes the defense LOOKS better against the run but that is more of a product of the two rookies drafted by Grigs and the addition of Langford via FA. The Colts have too many LOPSIDED losses in the last couple of years in which elite teams with high powered offenses simply SCORED AT WILL against the Colts while the opposing qbs had career days lighting up the scoreboard while standing TALL in the pocket!! Greg relies MORE on the "base" 3-4 than the aggressive blitz happy style used to pressure opposing qbs. I'm not knocking Greg because he is who he is ALONG with the rest of THIS coaching staff that BENEFITED from catching some breaks in the playoffs last year. The Cincy team had won MAYBE 1 playoff game in 12yrs but also was MISSING it's STAR wr and rb in that game. Moving on to Denver Peyton was CLEARLY hurt and the Colts on talent ALONE were good enough to take advantage of THOSE situations but the REWARD was a PAT team that has given these Colts some of its most embarrassing losses under the Chuck regime. Given all the facts was it REALLY a surprise to WHAT would happened next.... :facepalm:  

Nothing personal, but your posts are painful to read. The lack of paragraphs and random capitalization is off-putting.

If we can get Jones back healthy next season.. and with Parry, Anderson and Langford.. I think our defensive line will be solid. Robert Mathis seems to be getting back into the groove as well. We need another corner and another safety to pair with Geathers.. I like the direction the defense is headed though..

That off-zone coverage on the 1 yard line was terrible. I saw that smoke screen from a mile away.

So no stacked box? Because if you stack the box, you have to give some cushion somewhere. Would have been nice if Butler had made the tackle, but he decided he'd take the day off from tackling.

There are some situations where our defense seems doomed to be beaten, though, and you can see it coming.

I also don't understand why McNary got all the burn instead of Moore and Irving, who are both much better players.

I'm trying to imagine where we'd be had we not drafted Parry, Anderson and even Geathers earlier this year. Things are slowly improving, but we need some fast, young linebackers who can really get after the quarterback and cover over the middle. Depth at corner is killing this team as well. Today was proof that ANY NFL level quarterback can have a great day without a pass rush. The value of an NFL quarterback is really how well he can react under pressure. Manusky is trying to get pressure, but outside of Mathis, who's best days are clearly behind him, I don't see much in the way of personnel. Newsome has just fallen off the map. Walden's name might be called once every third game or so...we already know Werner is better off the field than on it...We need better quality football players end of story...