Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duke SS Jeremy Cash

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119845&draftyear=2016&genpos=SS

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jeremy-cash/

Playmaker. Excellent burst and closing speed, great blitzer, gets a TON of pressures and does a decent job of getting off blocks, good job playing ball carriers in the open field and breaking down to make the tackle, decent awareness, extra nosy and likes to get behind the line of scrimmage and get involved in the play, can knife through traffic to get to the ball carrier, he has a knack for poking the ball away when he arrives at the play, and he arrives with authority and presence; I don't think much of his coverage skills, but he's mostly used in short area zone; he has really good agility and sufficiently loose hips for a safety, but his footwork is questionable and he takes some bad angles; you'll see him make a ton of plays from his knees, as he dips under blockers but stays alert to the play; I don't think he has adequate turn and run speed to handle receivers one on one or the range to patrol the back end. Would be a good Robber, especially against running QBs. 

Using Dustin's format for grading (and I reserve the right to adjust these after draft workouts):

Size: 6'1", 208 (approx, listings vary), since he's mostly a box safety, he's a little on the light side, 4/5

Athleticism: I question his long speed and range, but he flies around and his 10 yard burst is top notch, 8/10

Fluidity/agility: Turns corners and twists around with ease, but footwork is sloppy at times, and hip flip is just okay, 7/10

Physicality: No question about this, you know when he's in the play, and so does everyone else, 10/10

Technical ability: Questionable here, he relies more on his athleticism than any refined technique, and the coaches seem to just cut him loose, 5/10

Run game/tackling: No complaints, he'll miss a tackle against a shifty runner (Duke Johnson), but he usually breaks down well and ends the play, 4/5

Ball skills: More likely to run through the receiver than make a play on the ball, 2/5

Consistency: There are games from 2013 to 2015 on DraftBreakdown, and I'm watching Duke v BC right now, and Mr. Cash always looks the same, even after a bad play, 5/5

Grade: 45/60, 1st round pick

NFL Comparison: TJ McDonald, STL (I'm bad at comparisons, by the way.) Reminds me of a more explosive Landon Collins or Clayton Geathers, but not as big as either of them. He might run a slow forty and fall down some boards, and while his short area speed and burst are elite, I don't think he can open up and run like the really good deep safeties (Earl Thomas, Eric Berry).

Fit with Colts: Cash can play in any front in run support, and will make plays. The current Colts staff likes to use strong safeties as nickel backers, in a lot of man coverage against TEs and slot receivers, including off man coverage. Cash doesn't do a lot of that, and I don't think he has the mirror ability or the technical coverage skills to hold up in man coverage in the pros. 3/5

Edited by Superman

Good write up. Are you going to run through the other safeties too? The safety class looks really deep for once.

I'm just watching some random guys right now, and he jumped out at me. More than anything else, this is for me to save my notes, but I figured I would share. I don't have a plan to do any particular players, but I'll be sure to take a look at the safeties for sure.

I was also going to do a "scheme fit" section for each player I watch, but I wonder if that's a waste. Our schemes might change if the coaching staff changes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Cash really likes to hit. He's really, really good in the box and on the edge, taking on blockers. And he likes to hit. I like him if he's just allowed to fly around and hit people, but I really don't think he can cover anyone.

I think that's fine. We have enough coverage safeties as is. We need a more traditional box SS type of guy anyways. None of our current safeties are good tacklers.

Short-mid range coverage for sure. But I don't think he would need to be able to play single high or anything like that.

TEs and slot receivers in man coverage. I think he can play single high. I don't know if he has the range, but he comes downhill aggressively. It's the box coverage responsibilities that I think he would be bad at.

I think that's fine. We have enough coverage safeties as is. We need a more traditional box SS type of guy anyways. None of our current safeties are good tacklers.

don't have many cover safeties either just Adams who is 100 years old the rest are not that great. what we need is a ball hawk turnover machine at safety

don't have many cover safeties either just Adams who is 100 years old the rest are not that great. what we need is a ball hawk turnover machine at safety

I feel like Geathers can be that guy. He's flashed big play potential since pre-season. I think he had 1 FF this season too. He just needs more development.

But we need a real middle of the field enforcer.