Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason Coles "sources" say the Colts want Luck to change his style of play

Everyone

"Buzz: Colts Want Luck to Make 'Major Changes' to Protect Health" via @TeamStream http://t.co/hYGRPuBYUe

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout)

October 2, 2015

Link to story, don't forget the salt. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2574933-insider-buzz-concerns-over-lucks-health-leading-to-major-changes-on-offense

Colts Want Luck to Make 'Major Changes' to Protect Health by throwing faster(holds the ball too long), running so much, being aggressive with his passes and tackling after he's been intercepted.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... so instead of providing him with an adequate O-line the Colts want Luck to change the way he plays... you know, the very thing that makes Luck so special as a NFL QB....

That's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see how that works out for them....

you mind find this hard to believe but he is responsible for quite a few of his hits

For what it's worth, if the "reports" are true that the Colts want Luck to make those changes, I'm all for them.  At times, he holds onto the ball for too long.  Or he tries too hard to make a play and it ends up hurting the team.  And I'm really not a fan of him going to tackle defensive players after he throws a pick.  Having Luck changes those aspects will only help him and the team

Unbelievable. Pin it on Luck. Anybody ever heard of going thru progressions? How about we get a decent oline, then u can judge his play. This is really unbelievable man. As if this kid didn't have enough pressure. We don't even pay him enough to do what everybody wants him to do right now. Right now, the people that gets the checks should do their jobs 1st. Then u can judge. But Whatever.

Really enjoy articles with no substance other than repeating the headline and having a video. Truly.

Waiting for the flipout from everyone, but it completely makes sense. Pep needs to call plays that support this, but Andrew can't be waiting for the deep route to open every time either. 

Wow... so instead of providing him with an adequate O-line the Colts want Luck to change the way he plays... you know, the very thing that makes Luck so special as a NFL QB....

lol this is exactly why he is going to Houston lol

Really enjoy articles with no substance other than repeating the headline and having a video. Truly.

Waiting for the flipout from everyone, but it completely makes sense. Pep needs to call plays that support this, but Andrew can't be waiting for the deep route to open every time either. 

Yeah, I don't know why they need to make a video when 1 paragraph would suffice. Must make him feel special haha

For what it's worth, if the "reports" are true that the Colts want Luck to make those changes, I'm all for them. At times, he holds onto the ball for too long. Or he tries too hard to make a play and it ends up hurting the team. And I'm really not a fan of him going to tackle defensive players after he throws a pick. Having Luck changes those aspects will only help him and the team

it's 40/60 60 being the playcalling in which 3/4 of the Wr are running deep or intermediate routes and if the short route is well defended what should he do? Pep needs to change his playcalls so that Andrew can decide quicker otherwise luck will just throw quickly but the route might not be done and we'd still moan about the interceptions

Oh I don't know.  Joe Montana, Steve Young were pretty special running the west coast offense.  Luck needs to learn he doesn't need to always get the chunk plays.  Holdover mentality maybe from the Bruce Arians days.

Ill offer the first tip....Learn what a check down is and actually take the check down(This goes for Pep to more often then not). It works wonders...Just ask Tom Brady this year

I always have images on the all time greats heaving it down the field, but when you watch Brady you see how much he really throws around the line of scrimmage.  Even Peyton used the checkdown quite a bit, not to mention all those quick hitters to Marvin and those short drag routes to Reggie.

Most of these are true. My question is why is it just happening now. They should have been working with him to change these from day one. That goes on Clyde Christensen IMO.

I agree but I find it odd that they want Luck to throw the ball faster ( and btw i agree that he does need too) but yet almost never call short passes. He can't get rid of the ball quickly if a lot of passing plays are 15+ yards down the field.

Oh I don't know.  Joe Montana, Steve Young were pretty special running the west coast offense.  Luck needs to learn he doesn't need to always get the chunk plays.  Holdover mentality maybe from the Bruce Arians days.

add Tom Brady to that too........he's the master of dinking and dunking teams to death

I don't disagree that those changes would be beneficial, but I also agree that his "game" isn't as big of an issue as the talent level of his protectors. 

If he is hurt, his game is going to be compromised to some degree, so the advice is sound.

Now it's Luck's fault? Part of it is, but is this organization really playing the blame game?

We're about to be the Raiders of the past soon. This place is falling apart

It's a lot of people's fault.  This isn't as simple as going this is also person X's fault so let's replace person X and everything will be fine. 

I doubt the Colts are becoming the Raiders.  They are having a challenging season.  It happens.  It just hasn't happened to the Colts since 2001 (2011 was a very unique situation).  They are long over due for a season like this.  Hopefully they pull out of the tailspin but they might not this year.  Still I doubt this is something that will cause the Colts to become the worst team in the NFL for years to come. 

I agree but I find it odd that they want Luck to throw the ball faster ( and btw i agree that he does need too) but yet almost never call short passes. He can't get rid of the ball quickly if a lot of passing plays are 15+ yards down the field.

If watch routes there have been short options Luck has just elected to not go there with the ball or that WR has not been getting open. 

Is that on Luck or on the OC calling those chunk plays?

I don't deny that Luck is to blame on some of the hits he has taken, but good lord between the O-line and the poor play calling (presumably from Pep's mouth to Luck's ears) I can't believe they're seriously telling Luck to change his style...

you mind find this hard to believe but he is responsible for quite a few of his hits

Ill offer the first tip....Learn what a check down is and actually take the check down(This goes for Pep to more often then not). It works wonders...Just ask Tom Brady this year

Let me start off by giving you a thorough round of applause! It seems the microwave media pundits can't see the forest for the trees....kudos! 

How about instead of doing that, we sign Marshall Yanda in the offseason. Then use our 1st rounder on the best OL on the board, and then our 2nd or 3rd rounder on the best Center on the board. But I will say Luck does need to get rid of the ball quicker sometimes.

Oh I don't know. Joe Montana, Steve Young were pretty special running the west coast offense. Luck needs to learn he doesn't need to always get the chunk plays. Holdover mentality maybe from the Bruce Arians days.

playcalling doesn't help him from not holding the ball but he is holding it too long instead of throwing there he knows the receiver should be

"Buzz: Colts Want Luck to Make 'Major Changes' to Protect Health" via @TeamStream http://t.co/hYGRPuBYUe

— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout)

October 2, 2015

Link to story, don't forget the salt. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2574933-insider-buzz-concerns-over-lucks-health-leading-to-major-changes-on-offense

Colts Want Luck to Make 'Major Changes' to Protect Health by throwing faster(holds the ball too long), running so much, being aggressive with his passes and tackling after he's been intercepted.

Do they also want Andrew Luck to change his name to Tim Tebow?

Let's be honest, we all know we're stuck with this o-line for the remainder of the season, for better or for worse. Luck can do a lot to minimize their ineptitude and protect himself, and a lot of what he can do is what Cole is saying in this piece. Shorter drops, quicker passes, being more disciplined, etc. None of that is really a stretch, he just has to be willing to alter his approach. If this team really has aspirations of making a deep playoff run, there's no other way that it's going to happen.

Most of these are true.  My question is why is it just happening now.  They should have been working with him to change these from day one.  That goes on Clyde Christensen IMO. 

I think they have been.  If you listen to Luck in the offseason he talks about knowing he needs to do these exact same things.  Last year and this year he talked about how he needs to be smarter with the ball and learn to throw it away at times rather than trying to force things.

He just doesn't apply those things during the game.

I'm like some of you.  Luck has more than likely had plenty of underneath routes to go to...he just didn't.  Also, why are they all of a sudden making this change?  If the FO had truly been discussing it, wouldn't they have practiced these changes in training camp this year?  Wouldn't they have already been using these new plays in the 1st and 2nd games?  Sounds like reactionary media talk.

I'm like some of you.  Luck has more than likely had plenty of underneath routes to go to...he just didn't.  Also, why are they all of a sudden making this change?  If the FO had truly been discussing it, wouldn't they have practiced these changes in training camp this year?  Wouldn't they have already been using these new plays in the 1st and 2nd games?  Sounds like reactionary media talk.

Luck did most of this stuff in the preseason. 

So many people want to blame everyone else for Luck's problems other than Luck.

I think Luck is has a lot of great tools as a QB but the fact is he is not playing a whole lot different now than he did his rookie season.  He makes the same kind of mistakes in the same kind of situations over and over again.  He came into the league as a great talent what I have not seen is him progressing to an elite QB.

Additionally, according to Football Outsiders (a site I trust a lot more than PFF) the Colts Oline is ranked 4th in run blocking and 15th in pass blocking.  Now these numbers are not the end all be all but it matches what I've been seeing.

The Colts have a running game this year with Gore and he is under utilized.  They Colts have three very good TEs that have been under utilized, the Colts have an elite WR, and aging elite WR and an young up and comer and Luck hesitates in throwing them the ball.

I'm going to make a prediction, if Luck does not play this weekend, I think the Colts will win and win big putting up 30+ points.

Let me start off by giving you a thorough round of applause! It seems the microwave media pundits can't see the forest for the trees....kudos! 

That's because most of them take a few highlights and come to immediate conclusions without taking time to watch ALL 22....Not all of them are like that, I really like Jaworski and Merril Hoge and Ladanian Tomlinson does a good job of breaking down rb's at times but the majority of them see....Oh Luck got hit! O Lines fault! Grigsons fault!

1.Well how about the QB that don't pick up on the free blitzer and shift the O Line accordingly

2. What about the QB who repeatedly locks onto Hilton while completely ignoring our TE's in 1 game and getting Fleener in on the game plan 7 targets in 3 games,,,,,At which point (and I know Fleener is to soft spoken for this...at least so far...I wish he wasn't) if I am Fleener I am calling out BOTH Pep and Luck for not getting me the football...Is that a little selfish....your damn right it is.....But when your a playmaker and a mistmatch problem for opposing defenses you have that right to be a little  selfish........If Tom Brady was not throwing to Gronk there would be a sports media uproar...But he has been targeted 28 times in 3 games...literally in all 3 of the Pats games he has been targeted as many times as Fleener has been through 3 games

3.What about our O Coordinator who don't have the slightest clue to put together routes that compliment each other

4.What about the O Coordinator whos more concerned with getting the ball down field rather then doing the proper thing which would be taking advantage of matchups