Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schlereth: Colts OL -- ESPN

Rhane19

I didn't deny that he made that point,  nor did I disagree with it.

I only noted that everyone missed the key point.....   that there's a huge shortage of quality lineman all over the NFL,  the Colts are no exception.

Stating the Colts have a bad offensive line is simply stating the obvious.    You don't have to be an NFL expert to understand that.

:facepalm:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason people want to say "blame x, not y" rather than "blame x, y, z, a, b, and c". Grigs didn't do enough to get the talent, the Pep hasn't done well game planning and play calling, Gilbert hasn't developed talent well enough, Luck should look for quick passes a greater percentage of the time, the individual O-lineman should complete their assignments more than they do. I think I've listed the order of blame in sort of a descending fashion there, but it's not like any of them have been good enough in their respective roles. 

All I am saying is...

It's well publicized how bad the O-line has played. Every football show on television and sports radio, is talking about how terrible the unit is.

The individual linemen, and the line as a whole, have been blamed.

Grigson, Pagano, Pep and Luck, have been also been blamed. 

But I have yet to hear any criticism of Joe Gilbert.

One of the biggest problems I see, week in and week out, is how our linemen seem to always miss blocking assignments.

Sometimes it appears they don't even know who exactly it is that they should be blocking?

Way too often, a defensive player just runs right through a big empty hole and gets a hit on our QB.

Perhaps, it is not so much... that the players all stink... Could it also be, that the blocking schemes are flawed?

If so, then Gilbert needs be held responsible.

I didn't deny that he made that point, nor did I disagree with it.

I only noted that everyone missed the key point..... that there's a huge shortage of quality lineman all over the NFL, the Colts are no exception.

Stating the Colts have a bad offensive line is simply stating the obvious. You don't have to be an NFL expert to understand that.

But you made it seem as if everyone jumped the gun and missed the point. He didn't say the O-Line play league wide is bad, and then use the Colts as an example.

He opened by saying "The Colts have failed to address the O-line". And he said that a few times. Meaning that the Colts bad line play is because they don't have good enough talent there.

Regardless of what the situation around the league is, the Colts O-line is bad because of the failure to properly address it. That was the point Schlereth was trying to make.

But you made it seem as if everyone jumped the gun and missed the point. He didn't say the O-Line play league wide is bad, and then use the Colts as an example.

He opened by saying "The Colts have failed to address the O-line". And he said that a few times. Meaning that the Colts bad line play is because they don't have good enough talent there.

Regardless of what the situation around the league is, the Colts O-line is bad because of the failure to properly address it. That was the point Schlereth was trying to make.

What did Schlereth tell you that you didn't already know?      Nothing

What did he tell us that ALL OF US don't already know?     Nothing.

Schlereth isn't normally a popular guy around here.    I see fans here ranting that he doesn't like the Colts.

But he says something that feeds the anti-Grigson hate here and suddenly he's the smartest guy on planet earth.    Except we already knew it.

But everyone passed over the part where o-line play is terrible everywhere.    Because that doesn't fit the profile of what people here want to know.   

What did Schlereth tell you that you didn't already know? Nothing

What did he tell us that ALL OF US don't already know? Nothing.

Schlereth isn't normally a popular guy around here. I see fans here ranting that he doesn't like the Colts.

But he says something that feeds the anti-Grigson hate here and suddenly he's the smartest guy on planet earth. Except we already knew it.

But everyone passed over the part where o-line play is terrible everywhere. Because that doesn't fit the profile of what people here want to know.

Well I had never really heard of Schlereth before this article so I don't know much about him hating the Colts.

But I don't think there is any type of anti-Grigson train that people are feeding. It's a reaction to the always overly optimistic view people have when talking about the Colts. And usually it's fans on this board so it gets dismissed as simple fan rage, but now you have a credited analyst saying the same thing which gives credence to what fans were saying.

I think the real issue is people trying to use his statement about league wide line play to fuel the "relax the sky isn't falling " train, when he very clearly stated that the Colts O-line is basically a joke. That was the topic at hand during the segment.

There wasn't any missed point because the league wide line play has nothing to do with the Colts atrocious line play. Just like there is a lack of elite QBs across the league but it doesn't excuse the atrocious QB play of the Browns the last 10 years.

Well I had never really heard of Schlereth before this article so I don't know much about him hating the Colts.

But I don't think there is any type of anti-Grigson train that people are feeding. It's a reaction to the always overly optimistic view people have when talking about the Colts. And usually it's fans on this board so it gets dismissed as simple fan rage, but now you have a credited analyst saying the same thing which gives credence to what fans were saying.

I think the real issue is people trying to use his statement about league wide line play to fuel the "relax the sky isn't falling " train, when he very clearly stated that the Colts O-line is basically a joke. That was the topic at hand during the segment.

There wasn't any missed point because the league wide line play has nothing to do with the Colts atrocious line play. Just like there is a lack of elite QBs across the league but it doesn't excuse the atrocious QB play of the Browns the last 10 years.

Sorry,  we see this very differently.

What did Schlereth tell you that you didn't already know? Nothing

What did he tell us that ALL OF US don't already know? Nothing.

Schlereth isn't normally a popular guy around here. I see fans here ranting that he doesn't like the Colts.

But he says something that feeds the anti-Grigson hate here and suddenly he's the smartest guy on planet earth. Except we already knew it.

But everyone passed over the part where o-line play is terrible everywhere. Because that doesn't fit the profile of what people here want to know.

First off speak for yourself. Don't generalize a whole forums opinion of one espn analyst. When has anyone ever said anything negative about Schelereth recently? Direct quotes please, showing he's not popular on this board and everyone hates him.

You keep knocking people who are posting perfectly valid points that are congruent with what other analysts are saying. Quit whining about it. You seem to whine whenever something is brought up that you don't care to hear, as if people are limited to talking about a particular topic for as long as NewCoktsFan feels is acceptable .Take that attitude and shove it. Your holier than thou attitude is terribly obnoxious.

Would have been nice to have had Henderson, Collins and Incognito.  We'd likely be undefeated with a health QB and a straight shot to the #1 seed. 

It would of been very nice to have even two of the three that you mentioned. Just with that help alone we would be in much better shape. Not much can be done now other than wishing and wanting. We are rolling with what we have so just got to hope the new lineup will get better with playing time. I have been disappointed so far with our O-Line and I wasn't even expecting much at the beginning of the season. However, Luck and Pep haven't been helping our O-Linemen so far either. Here is to hoping we can gameplan to protect Luck with slides, rollouts, shorter route combos, and more checkdowns.

Regardless of what the situation around the league is, the Colts O-line is bad because of the failure to properly address it. That was the point Schlereth was trying to make

Exactly.

Schlereth didn't say "the whole NFL has horrible offensive lines" and then give the Colts as an example of that. What he said is the Colts O line play is putrid . He then says that the Colts did not address it properly in the draft or free agency this year. I believe he also infers that this was really lame as Luck was getting hit way too much his first two years and Grigson should have "invested" more. THEN ... he adds to it that O line play across the league has been bad. 

That said , it is what it is and I'm just not in the mood to argue how badly Grigson may have or may not have screwed up here. 

First off speak for yourself. Don't generalize a whole forums opinion of one espn analyst. When has anyone ever said anything negative about Schelereth recently? Direct quotes please, showing he's not popular on this board and everyone hates him.

You keep knocking people who are posting perfectly valid points that are congruent with what other analysts are saying. Quit whining about it. You seem to whine whenever something is brought up that you don't care to hear, as if people are limited to talking about a particular topic for as long as NewCoktsFan feels is acceptable .Take that attitude and shove it. Your holier than thou attitude is terribly obnoxious.

You seem to think the world was created the day you arrived.   I've been here 3 and a half years.    And I'm a relative newby.

Lots of people have been here for many years more than I have.     So, I'm sharing with you that a number of posters have commented over the years that they don't think Schlereth likes the Colts.    I don't share that opinion,  but others here do.

I have no way of pulling a random opinion out of years and years of threads.    That's not the way the internet works.

As for the rest........   you know,  the whining and the holier than thou and all that.....  well,  we'll just agree to disagree.

Just not interested in getting into it with you.

You seem to think the world was created the day you arrived.   I've been here 3 and a half years.    And I'm a relative newby.

Lots of people have been here for many years more than I have.     So, I'm sharing with you that a number of posters have commented over the years that they don't think Schlereth likes the Colts.    I don't share that opinion,  but others here do.

I have no way of pulling a random opinion out of years and years of threads.    That's not the way the internet works.

As for the rest........   you know,  the whining and the holier than thou and all that.....  well,  we'll just agree to disagree.

Just not interested in getting into it with you.

Well, if you dont want to get into it with someone, take the high road and dont respond. How childish to post a long response only to say, "Im not going to argue with you", when thats exactly what youve been doing. "I dont want to argue with you, but I'm taking the last word", give me a break.

You seem to constantly harp on others posts counts particularly mine. News flash: i dont give a rats behind about my post count and no one else should either. You act as if youre one of the popular kids at the table in school based on your post count. I'm not going to change what I say and who I say it to based on my post count/join date. Your join date doesnt intimidate me into not calling you out on your arrogance. Sorry bro. Youre no better or above anyone because of your join date. There is no pecking order. This is a public forum. Grow up. This isnt Mean Girls.

Lastly, as far as "I cant pull a random opinion out of years of threads, thats not how the internet works comment" way to fail as usual. Thats actually exactly how the internet works. Its called the search function. If that opinion is so popular it should be fairly easy to find. Again, that point is just ridiculous. If you dont like a topic dont post in it with your usual condescending tone. I'd say a good 80% of your posts come off extremely condescending with one of the most flat out obnoxious tones I've ever seen exhibited from any online persona I've ever encountered. 

Yes the colts o-line is bad. Yes thats what Schelereth said. Theres nothing wrong with discussing that. Get over it.

Well, if you dont want to get into it with someone, take the high road and dont respond. How childish to post a long response only to say, "Im not going to argue with you", when thats exactly what youve been doing. "I dont want to argue with you, but I'm taking the last word", give me a break.

You seem to constantly harp on others posts counts particularly mine. News flash: i dont give a rats behind about my post count and no one else should either. You act as if youre one of the popular kids at the table in school based on your post count. I'm not going to change what I say and who I say it to based on my post count/join date. Your join date doesnt intimidate me into not calling you out on your arrogance. Sorry bro. Youre no better or above anyone because of your join date. There is no pecking order. This is a public forum. Grow up. This isnt Mean Girls.

Lastly, as far as "I cant pull a random opinion out of years of threads, thats not how the internet works comment" way to fail as usual. Thats actually exactly how the internet works. Its called the search function. If that opinion is so popular it should be fairly easy to find. Again, that point is just ridiculous. If you dont like a topic dont post in it with your usual condescending tone. I'd say a good 80% of your posts come off extremely condescending with one of the most flat out obnoxious tones I've ever seen exhibited from any online persona I've ever encountered. 

Yes the colts o-line is bad. Yes thats what Schelereth said. Theres nothing wrong with discussing that. Get over it.

There is just not a single thing we agree on.     Not a thing.

I could go point by point and give you an education,  but trust me,  you're not the least bit interested in learning.   Never have been.

So,  I'm not getting into it with you.    Period.    We're likely going to disagree on everything.     So,  what's the point?

You seem to think I'm going to lose sleep over your opinion of me.    Couldn't care less.

Have a nice day.........

I could go point by point and give you an education,  but trust me,  you're not the least bit interested in learning.   Never have been.

So,  I'm not getting into it with you.    Period.    We're likely going to disagree on everything.     So,  what's the point?

You seem to think I'm going to lose sleep over your opinion of me.    Couldn't care less.

Have a nice day.........

Hey man you have a good football mind, but you spend a lot of time going back and forth with people letting them drain all your creative energy.  I used to argue like that in some capacity when I first got on the forum, but I soon realized I don't have enough energy for it.  I also realized there's plenty of other people who look at whatever the stupid/ignorant post is in the same way I do.  

In knowing that if I don't have the energy to debate about it I just say "I know good and well Superman is going to blast him so I'm just going to let it be"  " I know good and well Gavin is going to blast him so I'll let it be" " I know good and well Coffee Drinker is going to blast him so I'll let it be" " I know BOTT is going to say something so I don't have to".  Certain posts are so crazy you kind of already know who's going to address it so I just move on to better things.  Sometimes you seem like the negative energy has gotten to you quite a bit.  Don't take what I've said the wrong way!

Hey man you have a good football mind, but you spend a lot of time going back and forth with people letting them drain all your creative energy.  I used to argue like that in some capacity when I first got on the forum, but I soon realized I don't have enough energy for it.  I also realized there's plenty of other people who look at whatever the stupid/ignorant post is in the same way I do.  

In knowing that if I don't have the energy to debate about it I just say "I know good and well Superman is going to blast him so I'm just going to let it be"  " I know good and well Gavin is going to blast him so I'll let it be" " I know good and well Coffee Drinker is going to blast him so I'll let it be" " I know BOTT is going to say something so I don't have to".  Certain posts are so crazy you kind of already know who's going to address it so I just move on to better things.  Sometimes you seem like the negative energy has gotten to you quite a bit.  Don't take what I've said the wrong way!

Thanks, Krunk....

I really appreciate the kind words and the support.

Good post.    I needed that!          :thmup:

Have a nice day.........

The only thing you could educate me on is how to come off as a jerk who thinks his opinion is golden and is appalled at anyone who thinks the slightest bit differently.

"Really.....            Wow...........                      :facepalm:              "

The only thing you could educate me on is how to come off as a jerk who thinks his opinion is golden and is appalled at anyone who thinks the slightest bit differently.

"Really.....            Wow...........                      :facepalm:              "

Right.     Thanks so much for proving my point.

If you'll think back to when you joined up here,  I spent 3 e-mails telling you we were never going to have a love connection that we didn't agree on anything.     That we should try our best to avoid one another.

Sound familiar?

I don't care if posters agree with me or not.    I'll spend all sorts of time disusing and debating an issue.    Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong.    The only thing I'm looking for is a poster who is open to new ideas.    There are lots and lots and lots of smart posters here.    I learn from them all the time. 

I'm not interested in a poster who is here to argue and who is not interested in learning anything new.     You know -- YOU!

So,  I try not to get into long drawn-out back and forth discussions with you.    I'm a reasonably smart guy, but not smart enough to explain anything to you in a way where you might actually learn something.      You're interested in arguing that you're right and looking to pick fights and then calling me names.....    it's all over the posts you made in this thread.

Waste of my time.

I'll try to do a better job of avoiding you.    I'd strongly recommend you do the same.

Enjoy the website.     

Right. Thanks so much for proving my point.

If you'll think back to when you joined up here, I spent 3 e-mails telling you we were never going to have a love connection that we didn't agree on anything. That we should try our best to avoid one another.

Sound familiar?

I don't care if posters agree with me or not. I'll spend all sorts of time disusing and debating an issue. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. The only thing I'm looking for is a poster who is open to new ideas. There are lots and lots and lots of smart posters here. I learn from them all the time.

I'm not interested in a poster who is here to argue and who is not interested in learning anything new. You know -- YOU!

So, I try not to get into long drawn-out back and forth discussions with you. I'm a reasonably smart guy, but not smart enough to explain anything to you in a way where you might actually learn something. You're interested in arguing that you're right and looking to pick fights and then calling me names..... it's all over the posts you made in this thread.

Waste of my time.

I'll try to do a better job of avoiding you. I'd strongly recommend you do the same.

Enjoy the website.

You really don't have anything to teach old man. If you did I would be glad to hear it. A poster who is open to new ideas= polar opposite of you.

Enjoy my website

I thought I was pretty calm, cool, & collected actually. Alright CS3, yes Mark did turn his comments toward the league as a whole toward the end of the 1 on 1 session, but the analyst asked Mark point blank to state what weaknesses he could see in INDY's line.  (agreed)

If I am slightly miffed, it's because INDY keeps masking the problem by concentrating on other areas like drafting Dorsett as our 1st pick & bringing in Andre Johnson at WR. How exactly Grigs do these 2 new additions result in less penetration on the line & a reduction in QB sacks? Hmmm...Look, I know why AJ was brought in to serve as a substitute veteran in the absence of Reggie Wayne's departure. I get that. (again, agreed...and 100% with you. i feel i may have been burned twice now in my fandom with Trent and AJ...fingers crossed still...but agreed when you say "masking the problem")

If you did highlight the vulnerability of our line, great. I agree with you 100% But, the crux of what Mr. Schlereth was addressing pertained directly to the blue horseshoe & we all know this. 

It's like I told M-432 in other thread, I'd rather suffer in other areas like the secondary for awhile if I knew Irsay was spending more money on beef up front or bring in an o-line coordinator with a proven track record of building quality lines that actually keep Andrew's jersey free from grass stains etc. etc. 

championships are won in the trenches....so are games for that matter lol...i could never argue that seeing more positive results from the OLine should be priority number 1. We all joke about the "Protect 12" note....but that IS what we NEED to be doing... and the effort has been sub par to date.

fingers crossed that that same feeling can not be ignored moving forward, and we will soon see an increased effort in obtaining an above serviceable caliber OL.

It would of been very nice to have even two of the three that you mentioned. Just with that help alone we would be in much better shape. Not much can be done now other than wishing and wanting. We are rolling with what we have so just got to hope the new lineup will get better with playing time. I have been disappointed so far with our O-Line and I wasn't even expecting much at the beginning of the season. However, Luck and Pep haven't been helping our O-Linemen so far either. Here is to hoping we can gameplan to protect Luck with slides, rollouts, shorter route combos, and more checkdowns.

I think Luck should learn from Hasselbeck.  He survived by very quick throws, not extending plays, not being afraid to punt and only take a couple shots that I could see were hard hits including the big sack.  Luck could then throw over the top on strategic opportunities since he has a much bigger arm.  Hasselbeck played well enough not to be the reason we lost, and that was, with an amazing amount of bizarre luck, just enough to win. 

All I am saying is...

It's well publicized how bad the O-line has played. Every football show on television and sports radio, is talking about how terrible the unit is.

The individual linemen, and the line as a whole, have been blamed.

Grigson, Pagano, Pep and Luck, have been also been blamed. 

But I have yet to hear any criticism of Joe Gilbert.

One of the biggest problems I see, week in and week out, is how our linemen seem to always miss blocking assignments.

Sometimes it appears they don't even know who exactly it is that they should be blocking?

Way too often, a defensive player just runs right through a big empty hole and gets a hit on our QB.

Perhaps, it is not so much... that the players all stink... Could it also be, that the blocking schemes are flawed?

If so, then Gilbert needs be held responsible.

You're just not listening to the right people.  I have mentioned several times over the past couple of years that the blocking scheme is just not very good.  The scheme rarely allows for the lineman to get the correct angle on the defender... it seems to rely on the defenders, especially LBers, reading something and moving themselves out of the play and it doesn't really allow for stunts and delayed blitzes.

I was hoping things would change this year with Hunter taking on more of the Oline coaching duties but it's just the same as before.