Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Confirmed: Luck injured throwing shoulder

csmopar

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way he's played thus far, I'd be surprised if this hasn't been in issue since week one.

With the way our O-line gets him murdered on a regular basis this could even be a pre-season injury. 

It's hard to fault anyone more than Grigson here. To say he's done an awful job with the O-line is very high praise. 

With the way our O-line gets him murdered on a regular basis this could even be a pre-season injury. 

It's hard to fault anyone more than Grigson here. To say he's done an awful job with the O-line is very high praise. 

I said in another thread he tried but didn't try hard enough. If you are really trying to "PROTECT 12" you at least bring in Incognito for a meeting, or spend that 7th round draft pick on La'el Collins. ANYTHING you can. We hear him looking in Canada for guys like Ben Heenan and guards on FA like Herremans or other "diamonds in the rough". If you really want to protect 12 you put whether or not you think someone is a "horseshoe guy" aside and you PROTECT 12.

I said in another thread he tried but didn't try hard enough. If you are really trying to "PROTECT 12" you at least bring in Incognito for a meeting, or spend that 7th round draft pick on La'el Collins. ANYTHING you can. We hear him looking in Canada for guys like Ben Heenan and guards on FA like Herremans or other "diamonds in the rough". If you really want to protect 12 you put whether or not you think someone is a "horseshoe guy" aside and you PROTECT 12.

I will agree that taking Collins with a 7th was absolutely worth a shot, but I understand why we didn't, and given the circumstances I find it hard to lay blame that we didn't. Grigson DID pursue him as a UDFA, though, but that didn't pan out, for whatever the reason. 

But you're right. Grigson has sorely neglected the offensive line. He's a former linemen with seemingly no idea what a good one looks like.

For as bad as everyone (including myself) thinks the o-line is, they're actually ranked 6th in run blocking, and 15th in pass protection (per Football Outsiders http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol).So they're not even close to being the worst in the league.

Stats don't tell the story. The film does. 

And the film shows, quite clearly, that they are awful.

The over-analyzation of stats has gotten entirely out of control, and can be used to make ANY point. I'm sure there is a way to turn the stats to show that Aaron Rogers has been the worst player in the NFL this season, and that is not an exaggeration. These analysts could find the numbers to prove it so. 

No one can continually sustain the amount of punishment Andrew has the last few years. This team goes nowhere without Luck. Everyone from the owner to the peanut vender know it. But yet Grigson continues to leave him high and dry year after year. Some will argue Grigson has tried, and to some degree he has, but it hasn't been nearly enough. Irsay better wake up and put some pressure on Grigson before this kids career is ruined. Protecting your franchise QB isn't something you try to do half assed. Which IMO is what Grigson has done. 

For as bad as everyone (including myself) thinks the o-line is, they're actually ranked 6th in run blocking, and 15th in pass protection (per Football Outsiders http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol).So they're not even close to being the worst in the league.

that speaks to my theory that Grigson built a run blocking line. Time to use it and rest Luck. Of course that means they have to stop holding and whipping out big plays and putting the offense in 1st and 20. They also have to stop getting behind so they can stick with the run.

Also I think these numbers speak to Polian's theory that there is an olineman shortage in the NFL because calling the Colts oline a train wreck this season in pass protection is kind.

Not for nothing...but Tony Romo was injured playing behind what is arguably the best offensive line in the NFL. I'm not absolving Grisgon of all blame...but injuries happen. To a lot of teams. Yes he needs better protection. But the staff needs to adjust the game plan so he isn't getting hit as much. And Luck himself needs to stop holding on to the ball so long. Use your dump offs and check downs

Stats don't tell the story. The film does. 

And the film shows, quite clearly, that they are awful.

The over-analyzation of stats has gotten entirely out of control, and can be used to make ANY point. I'm sure there is a way to turn the stats to show that Aaron Rogers has been the worst player in the NFL this season, and that is not an exaggeration. These analysts could find the numbers to prove it so. 

Maybe, but at the same time, I could easily cherry-pick 10-15 plays on film where the blocking was fantastic, and Luck still manages to miss an open receiver, or turns it over. It goes both ways.

In my opinion, the o-line's biggest issue thus far hasn't blocking, it's been executing without getting penalized. When we get backed up to our own 10 yard line, and it's 2nd or 3rd and 20, it's not going to matter who's playing o-line if they send 8 guys and Luck's looking 25 yards downfield for a receiver. Dude's going to get hit, rushed, pressured, etc. There's just no way around it.

that speaks to my theory that Grigson built a run blocking line. Time to use it and rest Luck. Of course that means they have to stop holding and whipping out big plays and putting the offense in 1st and 20. They also have to stop getting behind so they can stick with the run.

Also I think these numbers speak to Polian's theory that there is an olineman shortage in the NFL because calling the Colts oline a train wreck this season in pass protection is kind.

Even if that was Grigson's intention, why? We have to protect Luck first and foremost. This is a passing league. Adrian Peterson has been the best running back in some time, and how much success has he brought to the Vikings? Very little sans the time that Favre was there. 

Running is nice and we should be able to do it, but it's overrated once you get to a certain point, especially with a top 5 QB. And when our blocking inefficiencies get said QB hurt, you really have quite a mess to clean up.

To your point on Polian, blame the NCAA. College offenses are such gimmicks anymore that these guys are coming into the league entirely unprepared to play big boy football. It doesn't help that for whatever reason teams don't seem to be able to develop them properly, be it in practice or in games.

It's really stark in contrast when I think back in time 10 years at the general state of offensive lines as a whole in the NFL and today.  

Maybe, but at the same time, I could easily cherry-pick 10-15 plays on film where the blocking was fantastic, and Luck still manages to miss an open receiver, or turns it over. It goes both ways.

In my opinion, the o-line's biggest issue thus far hasn't blocking, it's been executing without getting penalized. When we get backed up to our own 10 yard line, and it's 2nd or 3rd and 20, it's not going to matter who's playing o-line if they send 8 guys and Luck's looking 25 yards downfield for a receiver. Dude's going to get hit, rushed, pressured, etc. There's just no way around it.

I agree.

That's not to say that the pass protection hasn't been bad, particularly the last two games. They were fine in Week 1.

And Luck was still wonky that day leading me to believe he's been hurting since the pre-season.

Luck was rusty early on last season. I don't know that we can automatically assign substandard play to an injury. But maybe. I don't really remember him getting hit in preseason, but I'm sure he did.