Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Lowery is a perfect fit for our scheme

BlueShoe

and the offense played like complete trash for 90% of the game your point

You said we only won by two points and Mariota isn't a top guy acting as if we are at full strength. You can't give somebody credit for playing a hell of a game that we needed with all the injuries we have. There is still plenty of season left.

Listen I saw the game. It looked bad, terrible. But we scored 21 points in the 4th quarter and ended the game with more points than the opponent, which means we WON. You're being a spoiled fan right now.

no I just expect a lil more when we are playing the Titans with a rookie QB especially after the 1st two games

You said we only won by two points and Mariota isn't a top guy acting as if we are at full strength. You can't give somebody credit for playing a hell of a game that we needed with all the injuries we have. There is still plenty of season left.

yeah also got a few great teams to play too who will destroy us if we play like we have so far even how we played in the 4th today isn't good enough for NE Pitt and Den

Pagano has shown yet once again that he can coach any secondary player up and get the most out of him.

Tom Zbikowski and LaRon Landry are outliers, sure..... 

We all know about the drinking problem. Pagano is not running a recovery clinic.

LaRon never had the skills to teach.

Lowery had a good game against the Titans no doubt about it and it was good to see.  But I have a question, where was this thread after the Bills game or the Jets game was he not a perfect fit for the D after those games?  The answer is Lowery looked really bad in the Bills game and worse in the Jets game.  So, while I'm ecstatic that he played well against the Titans and he is one of the top three players that is responsible for the win, that does not negate two other games of taking poor angles to the ball carrier, being slow to protect over the top, and his propensity for wanting to turn and chase a ball carrier rather than attacking head on.

I have always been 100% for Geathers starting at that position and I still believed that after the first two games.  Lowery had a solid game against the Titans.  He was the player of the game on that side of the ball.  I am all for him keeping that spot as long as he can be consistent.  One game isn't enough to convince me.  I will say anytime someone has 2 picks in the same game, they are doing something right.  I was happy to see him play well.

We all know about the drinking problem. Pagano is not running a recovery clinic.

LaRon never had the skills to tZibby may have been a lost cause, and that's coming from a ND fan.....and maybe Landry lost his passion, but the dude was a former pro-bowler.....the talent was there

Could you please learn how to quote correctly so you're not putting words in my mouth?

Thanks.

I have a question guys..how often do you see defenses play a mixture of man and zone on a play? Say the Ss is in man both outside corners are as well the FS is in zone and linebackers playing zone..do DC's implement these types of things ?

I have a question guys..how often do you see defenses play a mixture of man and zone on a play? Say the Ss is in man both outside corners are as well the FS is in zone and linebackers playing zone..do DC's implement these types of things ?

It is very common. We have been doing it a lot this year. There have been many plays this year where everyone was in zone except for Davis. And at times we even put Davis in a zone, which is not his forte. 

Zone used to be something we only ran about 30-40%. However, with our corner injury issues, we have been forced to play a lot of zone this season. Over the past few years, we lead the league in man coverage per play. We are just struggling right now because of so many injuries in the secondary.

It is very common. We have been doing it a lot this year. There have been many plays this year where everyone was in zone except for Davis. And at times we even put Davis in a zone, which is not his forte.

Zone used to be something we only ran about 30-40%. However, with our corner injury issues, we have been forced to play a lot of zone this season. Over the past few years, we lead the league in man coverage per play. We are just struggling right now because of so many injuries in the secondary.

yeah I know we are forced to use zone but I feel we have those who succeed in man and those who only suceed in zone..so I'm thinking why not have ppl defend in the way that they're good at? Instead of just having Davis in man and everyone else in zone lol

for me the defense is what is keeping me hopeful for playoffs, if not for the good play of our D despite the injuries the Jets and Bills would have completely blown us out and we would have lost to the Titans

I agree.

It is nice to see that some others on this board are paying attention to the good things our defense is doing. If our offense was playing well and owning 30-35 minutes in time of possession then even with the injuries, we might be talking about how great our defense is this year. 

yeah I know we are forced to use zone but I feel we have those who succeed in man and those who only suceed in zone..so I'm thinking why not have ppl defend in the way that they're good at? Instead of just having Davis in man and everyone else in zone lol

Unfortunately that is not the way it works. One example is that zone corners are usually exceptional tacklers, while man-to-man corners tend to rely more on finesse and athleticism. 

I believe the reason our secondary is playing well (despite the injuries) is because Adams is more of a physical safety (with some ball hawk skills) while Lowery is more finesse (who can cover tight ends). Their talents balance out each other very well. In other words, Lowery excels at contesting the ball, while Adams excels at physically contesting the player.

I think the Colts will sign another safety or draft one pretty high in the draft next season.

I'm loving Geathers though.. kid is physical and is always around the ball.

Yeah Safety is still a need.

A little overreaction here after 1 standout game. The board was exactly the same way over Delano Howell.

We have coverage safeties but still no tackling safeties. I like Adams but he's a terrible tackler. Same with Lowery, and Geathers who gets a pass because he's young. But poor tackling is a team wide issue so I won't put it all on them.

The point is that although they can cover well, we still lack a physical, hard hitting safety who sets the tone. Landry was terrible overall for us but his first couple of games he was laying the wood to a few people.

We need a guy like that, but who is a better overall player than Landry was. A guy who can cover but also drop guys hard.

Unfortunately that is not the way it works. One example is that zone corners are usually exceptional tacklers, while man-to-man corners tend to rely more on finesse and athleticism.

I believe the reason our secondary is playing well (despite the injuries) is because Adams is more of a physical safety (with some ball hawk skills) while Lowery is more finesse (who can cover tight ends). Their talents balance out each other very well. In other words, Lowery excels at contesting the ball, while Adams excels at physically contesting the player.

I gotcha thanks vm bro