Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Or 4 First Round Picks In Next 2 Years?

Luck or 4 First Round Picks in Next 2 Years?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Draft Luck Or Trade to Cleavland

• Draft Luck
    • Trade to Bucks for 3 First round picks next 2 years & Draft RGIII
    • Trade to Browns for 4 First Round Picks next 2 years & miss luck and RGIII

The Baltimore Colts traded first pick, John Elway to the Broncos. How did that work out for the Colts? Not very good, but in their defense Elway didn't want to go to the Colts. I think after living that Irsay would definitely keep the pick and Luck. Also the Chargers and Giants traded Manning and Rivers. They both seemed to do well on that one and like Elway, Eli didn't want to go to the Chargers and Rivers has became a solid QB.

Actually, if memory serves, the Colts did not trade that 1st overall pick. Despite Elway's insistance that he would not play for the Colts, they used that pick and chose elway anyway. Only subsequently they discovered that Elway was true to his word and refusing to sign with the Colts. Only THEN did the Colts trade Elway and they got an outstanding OT (Chris Hinton) and I do not remember what else for him. Under the circumstances, the trade was not all that bad. Totally different situation though, having to trade a player under durress and trying to salvage some value in saving face.

If the Luck pick is traded it's totally different ... The trade will not happen unless a bounty load of value is obtained in return. To me that price would have to be 1 - 2 good players, one of those two being premium, PLUS 3 - 4 premium draft picks. Get that and then a trade makes sense, especially if Manning is returning.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if memory serves, the Colts did not trade that 1st overall pick. Despite Elway's insistance that he would not play for the Colts, they used that pick and chose elway anyway. Only subsequently they discovered that Elway was true to his word and refusing to sign with the Colts. Only THEN did the Colts trade Elway and they got an outstanding OT (Chris Hinton) and I do not remember what else for him. Under the circumstances, the trade was not all that bad. Totally different situation though, having to trade a player under durress and trying to salvage some value in saving face.

If the Luck pick is traded it's totally different ... The trade will not happen unless a bounty load of value is obtained in return. To me that price would have to be 1 - 2 good players, one of those two being premium, PLUS 3 - 4 premium draft picks. Get that and then a trade makes sense, especially if Manning is returning.

People keep including players in draft bundles...which is what I see a lot in the NBA, remind me again when this has ever happened in the draft, during the draft in the NFL?

I dont see players bieng packaged at all, it rarerly if ever happens (I could be wrong tough)

I think 1 thing is clear....nobody here wants Robert Griffen the Third, and I hop Jim Irsay is reading this post.

The way I see it, either or the top 2 choices would be good for the colts.

It's unfortunate what happened to Denver and Miami the last decade or so. But that's thier fault really. Ravens one a superbowl with Dilfer. Seahawks got close to an appearence with Hassleback. Chargers got close with Rivers. Rohlesberger was a steal. Brady was a 5 or 6th rounder. It's all about management.

Assuming Manning will be healthy and play at top level for the next four years ... my vote =

Trade pick to Browns for DT Phil Taylor (teaming with Drake Nevis for a great 1/2 interior DL punch), QB Colt McCoy (top notch back up / serviceable injury starter), Brown's two 1st rounders this year and their 1st (and maybe 2nd) rounders next year ... c/w re-signing Wayne, Mathis, Garcon, & Saturday for 2012/13 Super Bowl run. Get Manning's eventual replacement in two years time.

Assuming Manning cannot make it back or if he likely only has a year or two left = Draft Andrew Luck and hope that Manning has 1 to 2 more years left, then retires with Luck happily then taking over to emerge as truly the NFL's next Manning.

i'm not in favor of trading luck, but at least this makes some sense. if the colts want to win a championship in manning's last few years, the better get some proven players, not a bunch of rookies....who might be good when peyton is ready to retire. remember everyone's excitement over costanzo, iljana, and nevis? they didn't really do much...

i'm not in favor of trading luck, but at least this makes some sense. if the colts want to win a championship in manning's last few years, the better get some proven players, not a bunch of rookies....who might be good when peyton is ready to retire. remember everyone's excitement over costanzo, iljana, and nevis? they didn't really do much...

,the main reason costanzo,ijalana and nevis didn't contribute much this season was because of injuries.It has NOTHING to do with talent or lack thereof.

Edited by Maureen
personal shot

We already have 2 first round picks pretty much considering we normally draft in the last 5 each year now we get 1 and 33. We can get great players in the first 3 that can make an immediate impact.

Any player that's drafted has an ability to make an IMPACT...regardless of which round they were taken.They wouldn't have been drafted,if we didn't expect some form of contribution.I guess the only guy that doesn't apply to is 'luck',because he'll be getting a 4-6 year bench vacation,if chosen by us.

Any player that's drafted has an ability to make an IMPACT...regardless of which round they were taken.They wouldn't have been drafted,if we didn't expect some form of contribution.I guess the only guy that doesn't apply to is 'luck',because he'll be getting a 4-6 year bench vacation,if chosen by us.

U guys are crazy if u think we take luck so he can ride the bench for more then 2 years. It's not going to happen. If colts take luck they either release manning this year or they part ways before 2014. Obviously any player can make an impact no matter which round.

First thing first:Its difficult to read and follow anything that you post,because its one giant incomplete sentence.I can't follow where one opinion ends and another begins.And secondly,the main reason costanzo,ijalana and nevis didn't contribute much this season was because of injuries.It has NOTHING to do with talent or lack thereof.

No need to be a jerk and take shots at someone. I can read and understand that post just fine. Not to difficult. It's a forum not a college essay

Just a thought..... If Manning is healthy here is another option we could try and go for....

Draft Luck then Trade Luck and some Colts players we don't need or need to add to make it work to Cleveland for their 2012 1st Rd picks (both of them), their 2nd Rd pick, and 3rd Rd pk, Colt McCoy (to be a back up), and a defensive piece (Cribbs or whoever), and next years 1st and 2nd Rd Picks.

This gives us McCoy as a Back Up and we can use the rest of the picks to pick up anything else we want. If Browns have Luck they will have nothing to do with McCoy and he is better than Painter.

Thoughts???

Just a thought..... If Manning is healthy here is another option we could try and go for....

Draft Luck then Trade Luck and some Colts players we don't need or need to add to make it work to Cleveland for their 2012 1st Rd picks (both of them), their 2nd Rd pick, and 3rd Rd pk, Colt McCoy (to be a back up), and a defensive piece (Cribbs or whoever), and next years 1st and 2nd Rd Picks.

This gives us McCoy as a Back Up and we can use the rest of the picks to pick up anything else we want. If Browns have Luck they will have nothing to do with McCoy and he is better than Painter.

Thoughts???

No thanks. And cribbs isn't on defense he's a WR and kick returner

No thanks. And cribbs isn't on defense he's a WR and kick returner

Kick Returner is Defense it falls under DST and I know he also plays WR (although would not use him in Fantasy Football as a WR at all LOL). But thank you for your input. It was just a thought. I want Luck, but just wandering what else we might be able to do that could garnish us more picks and good players in return. I am sure their are other teams out their with parts and picks we could use. If this is the plan to trade picks, what do you think would be the best approach.

Thoughts???

What you say is very similar to what I have been saying regarding Colt McCoy and DT Phil Taylor. No idea whether the Browns would even have any interest, but if they would, then it certainly would be an intriguing alternative to Luck, assuming Manning can come back healthy and compete at top level for several years to come.

What you say is very similar to what I have been saying regarding Colt McCoy and DT Phil Taylor. No idea whether the Browns would even have any interest, but if they would, then it certainly would be an intriguing alternative to Luck, assuming Manning can come back healthy and compete at top level for several years to come.

I'll pass on McCoy and I think the colts would as well

I'll pass on McCoy and I think the colts would as well

Did you read the context in which I hypothesized about McCoy?

He'd make for a pretty darn good BACKUP QB with a bit of actual upside potential. Assuming a healthy Manning, under the trade scenario I threw out there, methinks McCoy solves the backup QB contingency plan rather well ... and Phil Taylor would certainly solve the DT situation. Hopefully the other 3 to 4 premium draft picks would bring in a few more studs at positions of need as well.

Like I said, though, I honestly doubt the Browns would give up McCoy & Taylor and 3 to 4 picks all just for the Luck pick. No harm in dreaming, though. That's more than half the fun of being an armchair GM. :-)

You do if someone's offering you that many picks. Period.

Have to be pretty ignorant of all things football to think Luck would be more valuable than that.

Pretty ignorant to think those few extra picks are automatic locks to be great players as well. Just because you think luck isn't going to live up to the hype doesn't mean you call other people's opinions ignorant. You can't win in this league consistently without a great qb. If he is worth all those draft picks doesn't that tell you something?

He'd make for a pretty darn good BACKUP QB with a bit of actual upside potential. Assuming a healthy Manning, under the trade scenario I threw out there, methinks McCoy solves the backup QB contingency plan rather well ... and Phil Taylor would certainly solve the DT situation. Hopefully the other 3 to 4 premium draft picks would bring in a few more studs at positions of need as well.

Like I said, though, I honestly doubt the Browns would give up McCoy & Taylor and 3 to 4 picks all just for the Luck pick. No harm in dreaming, though. That's more than half the fun of being an armchair GM. :-)

The more I think about it more I agree with u. If the colts did end up trading the pick that would be a good idea.

Bottom line is the #1 pick is overrated, everything is chance, just like there's a chance Peyton may never play again(knock on wood), and there's a chance Luck could be a bust. If Peyton is healthy u trade the pick, this is why. If a sales person comes to your door trying to sale a vacuum and he says this thing is great, I'm an expert been in the business for 20 years and its the best I've seen to date, and here listen to all these guys they say it is too. But here's the deal u already have one that's great just has a broken hose, but the repair man says it still under warranty we can fix and make it stronger(stated by a doctor) then it was before. Ok the sales man pitches this, it's out dated and old, but u just got new carpet and it's a lot less stressful on the "old" vacuum. Repair man says that should help extend the life of your current vacuum significantly. Now most people since they already have money invested in the "old" vacuum are gonna stick with what's been great for them(assuming that vacuum will be brought to full strength, which we will kno before the draft. And all signs point to yes), and maybe use the extra money(picks) to give the vacuum some help, idk a broom, a mob, maybe a rug so people can wipe their shoes off at the door. Yes I'm a big Peyton guy, but facts are with the league heading the direction it is, to protect the QB, and all the mutivitiams and health stuff on the market, it is very feasible a QB can play till his mid 40. What???? U say. No way!!! Well not very many people thought u would see a 6'6" 270lbs man run a 4.3 40 either. Not many people thought they would see 60-70 year olds competing in body building and triathlons either. Guess what people they do. And the QB is the only player on the field(when he's in the pocket) who gets to play 2 hand touch, while everyone else has to play tackle. IMO #1 pick is overrated especially if that position is filled(which we should know before the draft), and we are inneed of other positions more so let's trade down, feel are gaps, and compete for a SB(hopeing that we resign some of are FA vets). Worst case scenario, Peyton turns out no to be able to play, trade up next year and get Barkley from USC. He wasn't to far behind luck anyway. besides only3 of the past QBs taken #1 overall are HOFs, 4 if u count Peyton. Heck while I'm at it 5 if u count Luck cause all the "experts" are saying so, or atleast you luck lovers act like it.

It has nearly ZERO amount of common sense at all. First, a neck injury is not the same thing as a broken hose on your vacuum. This is more than a simple matter of "repair and replace." Second, multivitamens and health supplaments, are you kidding me? So you're saying that if Peyton takes his Flinstone vitamens and his Ginko Biloba that he can play until he's 45? Come on now. Yes, advancements in medical science and health care enables athletes to play longer; and improved training teaches 300 lb lineman to play with quickness and speed. However, age is age, and no matter how you look at it Peyton's clock is ticking? The question is, how much time is left on the clock? 2 or 3 years - probably. 4 or 5 years - maybe. 6 or 7 years - not likely. 8 to 10 years - not even close.

Edited by Maureen
inflammatory

Why all this talk about bundling up players and draft picks. It doesnt happen, and it's not gonna happen. Period.

I say play the percentages.

4 first round picks vs 2 in the next 2 years

or 3 first round picks and 3 second and third round picks in the next 2 years

or just draft luck.

What statistically you think would work out more.

Luck isn't going to be starter ready untill 3 years 2 at the fastest...we could be training 4-7 higly rated college rookies in that same time to fill the many holes on our team.

And no 4-7 1st though 7th rounders...4-7 first and second rounders.

if at least 4 of them work out or even 3, it's worth the trade for Luck.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 7, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, January 7, 2012 - inflammatory

Have to be pretty ignorant of all things football to think Luck would be more valuable than that.

Didn't you know?We have a bunch of draft guru's on here.They take kiper's every tweet and report as fact.Its quite sad really.they're either too lazy or football clueless to form opinions of their own.I guess they just look at 'LUCKS' draft grade and see that's its comparable to 'ELWAY' and just assume that's what they're getting.

Didn't you know?We have a bunch of draft guru's on here.They take kiper's every tweet and report as fact.Its quite sad really.they're either too lazy or football clueless to form opinions of their own.I guess they just look at 'LUCKS' draft grade and see that's its comparable to 'ELWAY' and just assume that's what they're getting.

Just because certain people on here agree with the draft experts doesn't mean they think they are draft gurus or football clueless. I personally have watched his games and know what he is capable of and I'm sure others on here have too. You sure like to attack peoples opinions and call them lazy and clueless but when someone makes a comment to you m, your threatening them, telling mod and calling names.

drafting luck is not the best scenario, it would be a successfull one, but the 3rd best option, drafting a qb #1 overall, as history dictates, does not equate into winning multiple championships-its a proven fact. look it up. we need to build a great team around a very good/great qb, thats the recipe for winning. trade the pick away and set up the dynasty, thats the only option

drafting luck is not the best scenario, it would be a successfull one, but the 3rd best option, drafting a qb #1 overall, as history dictates, does not equate into winning multiple championships-its a proven fact. look it up. we need to build a great team around a very good/great qb, thats the recipe for winning. trade the pick away and set up the dynasty, thats the only option

Show me the proof

Just because certain people on here agree with the draft experts doesn't mean they think they are draft gurus or football clueless. I personally have watched his games and know what he is capable of and I'm sure others on here have too. You sure like to attack peoples opinions and call them lazy and clueless but when someone makes a comment to you m, your threatening them, telling mod and calling names.

That was a different situation and you know it.They made personal references to my family and i.So OF COURSE,i became upset.I don't care if others' agree with my football opinions or not.Just keep it FOOTBALL RELATED.

How many picks would it have taken you, as pretend GM, in 1997-98 to trade the first pick for Manning? In retrospect, how many picks would it take for you to trade Manning knowing what he became? Elite QBs are the most valuable and coveted position in the NFL, growing more and more critical by the year (QB protection rules, passing game prominence). There aren't 10 picks worth what Luck most likely will bring us for 15 years. "Period" (to use your coin).

That was a different situation and you know it.They made personal references to my family and i.So OF COURSE,i became upset.I don't care if others' agree with my football opinions or not.Just keep it FOOTBALL RELATED.

I agree it should stay football related all time so that means not commenting on other posters knowledge, spelling, or fan hood. This forum has really been getting out of hand lately with the name calling and just down right disrespectful comments. Not everybody is going to agree with me and I'm ok with that but just because I have diff opinions doesn't mean I lack knowledge. Also just bevause i do pay attention to the draft experts doesn't mean I can't influence my own ideas. We are all colts fans so treat each other with the samr respect you want to be treated with.

I can admit I've been a jerk to some posters lately but it's other people's attitude rubbing off on me. If I have been a jerk to you I apologize.

Go colts

I agree it should stay football related all time so that means not commenting on other posters knowledge, spelling, or fan hood. This forum has really been getting out of hand lately with the name calling and just down right disrespectful comments. Not everybody is going to agree with me and I'm ok with that but just because I have diff opinions doesn't mean I lack knowledge. Also just bevause i do pay attention to the draft experts doesn't mean I can't influence my own ideas. We are all colts fans so treat each other with the samr respect you want to be treated with.

I can admit I've been a jerk to some posters lately but it's other people's attitude rubbing off on me. If I have been a jerk to you I apologize.

Go colts

Likewise.If i've been a jerk,then i apologize as well(you already know the situation).All opinions should be respected and considered.We all want what's best for our 'COLTS' and have them carry our 'INDIANA' flag proudly!!!!!!!!They represent us.

i'm well aware of that...but it doesn't change the fact that they will still be largely unproven going into their 2nd season.

WHAT A COMPLETELY *IC POST.

It has nearly ZERO amount of common sense at all. First, a neck injury is not the same thing as a broken hose on your vacuum. This is more than a simple matter of "repair and replace." Second, multivitamens and health supplaments, are you kidding me? So you're saying that if Peyton takes his Flinstone vitamens and his Ginko Biloba that he can play until he's 45? Come on now. Yes, advancements in medical science and health care enables athletes to play longer; and improved training teaches 300 lb lineman to play with quickness and speed. However, age is age, and no matter how you look at it Peyton's clock is ticking? The question is, how much time is left on the clock? 2 or 3 years - probably. 4 or 5 years - maybe. 6 or 7 years - not likely. 8 to 10 years - not even close.

Hahaha you better go get informed. I assume it was critical the first time Peyton had it done too right. Well u see the outcome of that didn't you, the only difference is Peyton didn't get the needed rehab due to the lockout. Ha I imagine this is all news to you. peytons neck is already healed(sources says, they held him out the last 2 games) and in all accounts it's stronger then ever before. Vitamins don't help and supplements don't help. Really. So growing up I was lied too about drinking my milk cause it'll make my bones stronger. What??? I can't believe them. Wait, prenatal vitamins didnt help the growth process of my 2 unborn children, so we wasted our money. Your kiddin. So one of my baseball heroes R. Clemens is vindicated because HGH(illegal, however a supplement) didn't help pro-long his career. Yes.

You sir. are wrong. Period. I thought that's the purpose of a vitamin was to help live heathier, stronger, and in some cases longer. But just some general info for you the life expectancy 100 years ago was 50 now it's 78, sounds like were growing healthier and stronger as a socity. if were living longer why wouldn't our muscle and joints evolve with our age? Kind of hand in hand don't you think? Then throw in some omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin d, calcium, and a antioxidant(which helps cell regeneration, also foods are way better then the pill form supplement) and it all leads to a pro-longed career, especially considering Peytons ability to stay in the pocket and get rid off the ball fast.

But hold on your right Peyton can't do it cause his joints won't be able to handle him getting out of the pocket to scramble. and he holds on to the ball to long and takes to many hits(like Frave, yet he played in his 40s). And his weight is just to much of

an issue and is a liability. Not to mention Peyton has had how many concussion and injuries, far to many to risk him going back out there.

Wait a min this isnt Peyton at all, sounds like Vick. Heck he's what 32-33 and takes a beating yet he is still an effective NFL QB. He tore up his leg(his money maker) and came back and still running on everyone. And about it being a big time surgery, pitchers have Tommy John surgery all the time and come back stronger then ever. That's a big time surgery yet pitchers have it all the time.

So next time u decide to call my stuff junk u better go get informed, cause u sir are living in the past. Welcome to 2012. Don't worry were all relatively new

Hahaha you better go get informed. I assume it was critical the first time Peyton had it done too right. Well u see the outcome of that didn't you, the only difference is Peyton didn't get the needed rehab due to the lockout. Ha I imagine this is all news to you. peytons neck is already healed(sources says, they held him out the last 2 games) and in all accounts it's stronger then ever before. Vitamins don't help and supplements don't help. Really. So growing up I was lied too about drinking my milk cause it'll make my bones stronger. What??? I can't believe them. Wait, prenatal vitamins didnt help the growth process of my 2 unborn children, so we wasted our money. Your kiddin. So one of my baseball heroes R. Clemens is vindicated because HGH(illegal, however a supplement) didn't help pro-long his career. Yes.

You sir. are wrong. Period. I thought that's the purpose of a vitamin was to help live heathier, stronger, and in some cases longer. But just some general info for you the life expectancy 100 years ago was 50 now it's 78, sounds like were growing healthier and stronger as a socity. if were living longer why wouldn't our muscle and joints evolve with our age? Kind of hand in hand don't you think? Then throw in some omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin d, calcium, and a antioxidant(which helps cell regeneration, also foods are way better then the pill form supplement) and it all leads to a pro-longed career, especially considering Peytons ability to stay in the pocket and get rid off the ball fast.

But hold on your right Peyton can't do it cause his joints won't be able to handle him getting out of the pocket to scramble. and he holds on to the ball to long and takes to many hits(like Frave, yet he played in his 40s). And his weight is just to much of

an issue and is a liability. Not to mention Peyton has had how many concussion and injuries, far to many to risk him going back out there.

Wait a min this isnt Peyton at all, sounds like Vick. Heck he's what 32-33 and takes a beating yet he is still an effective NFL QB. He tore up his leg(his money maker) and came back and still running on everyone. And about it being a big time surgery, pitchers have Tommy John surgery all the time and come back stronger then ever. That's a big time surgery yet pitchers have it all the time.

So next time u decide to call my stuff junk u better go get informed, cause u sir are living in the past. Welcome to 2012. Don't worry were all relatively new

Hey next time you call a guy uninformed and living in the past, get your facts straight. Yes vitamins and supplements can enable one to live life fuller, richer and even longer. But vitamins and supplements do not magically turn 36 yr old athletes into 26 yr old athletes. If that were so we'd see football players playing well into their 40's. But guess what we don't, and even when we do its very rare. The fact is that the body ages, and vitamins, supplements, proper diet and exercise can slow the effects of aging, it cannot stop it. Eventually time and age wins; no matter how many trips to GNC you make a week.

Oh and yes I do know that the fusion has taken place in Manning's neck, and that he has been able to ramp up his rehab, including throwing short to medium range passes with good velocity. I fully agree that his recovery is progressing. His neck is stronger, but that doesn't mean he's now the bionic man. If that were the case why not replace all his joints with newer, stronger sythetic ones?

Hey next time you call a guy uninformed and living in the past, get your facts straight. Yes vitamins and supplements can enable one to live life fuller, richer and even longer. But vitamins and supplements do not magically turn 36 yr old athletes into 26 yr old athletes. If that were so we'd see football players playing well into their 40's. But guess what we don't, and even when we do its very rare. The fact is that the body ages, and vitamins, supplements, proper diet and exercise can slow the effects of aging, it cannot stop it. Eventually time and age wins; no matter how many trips to GNC you make a week.

Hey I think we had a break through, and I agree with you. But I believe with the transitions the QB is heading towards, "two hand touch", that this is the major contribution to the "new"(my words and my words only) life span of the QB. But with that said u did say vitamins and supplements didn't help, in a round about way. So in a way u did sound il/misinformed.

Just simply meant to say that vitamins and supplements are not miracle products. And while I'm sure you didn't intend to make it sound so, your first post did sound like you were representing vitamins and supplements as miracle products.

I simply say that Peyton has 2 or 3 years left based on recent retirement ages of career HOF quarterbacks. Favre 41; Marino and Elway 38; Warner 36. That comes up to an average age of 38.5. So if he were to retire after 2 or 3 more years, that would be a "normal" retirement age for a career QB whose taken every snap, sans 1 year. Any additional seasons/years added on would be bonus in my opinion.

That's the kind of return you BETTER get if you trade the rights to a player that has a chance to be really, really good, at a crucial position like quarterback. The deal has to be so good for you that everyone can look at it and say "I don't really blame them, even if I wouldn't have done it myself."

Like you said, Colt McCoy would make a really good backup quarterback. Taylor would greatly improve the defensive line. And we'd still get an extra couple of picks this year and next. Manning better be healthy and you better win 10+ games for the next three years, and make a couple deep playoff runs.

I personally don't see why you can't retool your roster around Manning and take Luck. I think the emphasis on first round picks is a little too high, and you often see mid-round picks making a greater contribution here lately. If we could trade Freeney and Clark (we probably have to do this anyways to meet cap restrictions), we'd grab a couple extra picks this year anyways. Package those with our #33 and move back into the 20s in the first round, and now you have that extra Browns pick everyone is talking about, plus you kept your #1 and took Luck. You still have five more picks, plus we probably have a compensatory pick coming for Charlie Johnson in this year's draft (maybe as high as a third or fourth; he started 16 games this year for the Vikings). Restructure Manning, resign Mathis, let Wayne or Garcon walk (another compensatory pick on the way in 2013), cut Brackett before March 1, etc. Boom, back in the mix, and you have Luck and Manning, and you've improved your team.