Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nearing the End...Peyton Fighting Father Time

dgambill

I just want to double check... Did you just call Peyton mobile?!

No, they have to give up the play-action roll out..

They've run that play 3 or 4 times and Peyton has missed the receiver every time.

I'm sure HE thinks he can do it...but that reverse roll out requires some speed and quick feet and Peyton doesnt have either

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It disgusts me, to say the least, the way he is unappreciated in Denver (by the fans,  not the organization).  Those fans out there have no idea just how much he does, how much time he puts in, and how he teaches the younger players to be better.

They don't deserve him.

btw... great article.  Thanks for posting.

i agree. They like when they win but when he loses, they start to talk about Osweiler and how Peyton is holding him back.

And I hate when everyone calls Peyton a choke. He lost as a team in the SB 2 years ago. They didnt protect him.

I still think hes better than Brady. Trent Dilfer could win 4 Super Bowls when you have 20 seconds to make a decision on every snap. Luck and Peyton always had to find ways to overcome obstacles. And they would love the pleasure of a New England offensive line.

Luck literally has 1.5 seconds to make a decision.

i agree. They like when they win but when he loses, they start to talk about Osweiler and how Peyton is holding him back.

And I hate when everyone calls Peyton a choke. He lost as a team in the SB 2 years ago. They didnt protect him.

I still think hes better than Brady. Trent Dilfer could win 4 Super Bowls when you have 20 seconds to make a decision on every snap. Luck and Peyton always had to find ways to overcome obstacles. And they would love the pleasure of a New England offensive line.

Jim Irsay is not learning his lesson from Peyton days and now he is ruining Andrew Luck.

Get a freaking OL before it's too late. Who the heck wanted a 1st round WR when your QB has no time ?

Jim Irsay is not learning his lesson from Peyton days and now he is ruining Andrew Luck.

Get a freaking OL before it's too late. Who the heck wanted a 1st round WR when your QB has no time ?

I think they need to have coaches do the drafts and not the GM's like the Patriots.

Your GM has no clue on who he should draft.

Either way the Colts will be fine, they will always be in the playoffs because you guys are in a crappy division and it won't take much to make it to the playoffs.

I think they need to have coaches do the drafts and not the GM's like the Patriots.

Either way the Colts will be fine, they will always be in the playoffs because you guys are in a crappy division and it won't take much to make it to the playoffs.

Our goal is not to just get to playoffs.

This is the 4th year under new regime. It's too early to predict the season but I have never been a fan of Grigson.

He still has a better arm and accuracy than brees.

Kind of unfair comparing his arm to a guy with a bad rotator cuff

Good points here. I don't see how the Indy offense and Kubiak offense can realistically be integrated. The run game is much harder to defend from under center than shotgun as well. They had Manning in the shotgun a lot in Kubes offense as a compromise I think and it make it ineffective and as you say the roll outs and PAs are predicated off of it as well and the deep throws. I think it is maybe too simple to just chalk the whole thing up to Manning. Some has to do with him but a lot has to do with the personnel as well. It almost feels like Elway said I am going to hire Kubiak and we will just run his offense no matter what guys we have out there - from Manning who is not mobile and likes the shotgun, to a poor Oline, to an average RB.

I think Kubiak has some embarrassing photos in his safe

He also had a sack yesterday where he literally (ugh) had over 5 seconds of staring wildly around while rooted in the pocket. He still has a bad habit of holding onto the ball too long. 

A couple of old tunes....

"Make it one more for my baby and one more for the road". 

"Thanks for the memories".

It does not matter to me #18 will always be the King in Indy even if Luck burns the record book. I just hope he does not go out with a cast sitting on the sideline. I want to see him throw one last pass to try to win his last game. Winning is one thing but glory is everything.

As I commented on my post for the same link, I think this description (without a doubt exaggerated to some degree) would apply to a great many other players. I don't care if you're 25 years old, you're going to be feeling pain after a game. Sure, Peyton may be feeling it a bit more, but it's certainly applicable to a big number of others. Is it far fetched to suggested any player getting a lot of play time isn't moaning and groaning, or in some pain after a game?

It is not like Peyton asked for the "woe is me, look at me wincing as I take my armor off" treatment that this writer is dramatizing for the effect. I guess he got enough page hits that it has been circulated enough times.

The current NFL fads include "Peyton is washed up", "Brady inflates balls or is on a mission", "RG3 is #3" and then rinse, repeat all over for writing. Just write it a different way with a different spin each time cashing in on the Peyton, Brady star power as long as you can :).

What gets me the most is the utter lack of respect that Denver fans have for Peyton, it's almost hatred. Yet the guy is doing his best, he's beat up and still better than any other option they have at QB

He's better than any option they've ever had at QB in the teams history

Well he discussed a lot about what Peyton goes through after the game...getting undressed and all...it was very visual especially for those that have played football and know how long it takes to get taped up and the feeling of grass sticking to your sweat and the aches....I thought it was nicely written...but you are correct...another article (although this one was very neutral I felt in tone) about Peyton nearing the end.

Wait until he is 50...then the pain really comes.  Just ask me.  :)

Wait until he is 50...then the pain really comes.  Just ask me.   :)

I know...I want him to win a SB soo bad just so he will retire and not go out on a stretcher or something. I would hate to see him after his career is over hobbling around or something. That said I will miss his commercials lol.

Kind of unfair comparing his arm to a guy with a bad rotator cuff

I think Kubiak has some embarrassing photos in his safe

Manning's had 4 surgeries and can't feel his fingers. Yet, Brees has always seemed to draw the sympathy cards from fans and the media repeatedly. There's definitely different standards.

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2015 at 6:18 PM, Bogie said:

He knows as well as we know, he's not going to win another Super Bowl. They had that opportunity in 2014 when they were favored, and shot up all those stats to break those records, then got in the SB and played like a bunch of musicians that met over a weekend that have never played with each other, and then got on stage and had an epic disaster. That's how bad they looked in that SB, and I don't care about how Seattle was the better team. Denver was favored, and over 70% of people were picking them to win it. No one was saying "Seattle was the better team" before that epic blow out occurred. 

He needs to retire after this season. His arm is gone, and his offensive line is bad enough to get him hurt. Hang it up now while your health is in good condition, instead of risking to permanently damage your body chasing stats. 

He's lucky, very lucky. He's got the stats, he's got a ring, and he's got a legacy. He should be happy and retire at the end of the year. 

Welp, he won another super bowl.

Awkward....

On 9/27/2015 at 8:03 AM, amfootball said:

Good points here. I don't see how the Indy offense and Kubiak offense can realistically be integrated. The run game is much harder to defend from under center than shotgun as well. They had Manning in the shotgun a lot in Kubes offense as a compromise I think and it make it ineffective and as you say the roll outs and PAs are predicated off of it as well and the deep throws. I think it is maybe too simple to just chalk the whole thing up to Manning. Some has to do with him but a lot has to do with the personnel as well. It almost feels like Elway said I am going to hire Kubiak and we will just run his offense no matter what guys we have out there - from Manning who is not mobile and likes the shotgun, to a poor Oline, to an average RB.

Seems kubiak and elway worked it out pretty well, huh?

On September 25, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Bogie said:

He knows as well as we know, he's not going to win another Super Bowl. They had that opportunity in 2014 when they were favored, and shot up all those stats to break those records, then got in the SB and played like a bunch of musicians that met over a weekend that have never played with each other, and then got on stage and had an epic disaster. That's how bad they looked in that SB, and I don't care about how Seattle was the better team. Denver was favored, and over 70% of people were picking them to win it. No one was saying "Seattle was the better team" before that epic blow out occurred. 

He needs to retire after this season. His arm is gone, and his offensive line is bad enough to get him hurt. Hang it up now while your health is in good condition, instead of risking to permanently damage your body chasing stats. 

He's lucky, very lucky. He's got the stats, he's got a ring, and he's got a legacy. He should be happy and retire at the end of the year. 

Wrong.        Again.

This is a recording.

He probably should retire now but I had faith he would win 1 more SB. I always believed in him from the get go. Where does he rank all-time? Really doesn't matter because he has to be Top 5 ever now. 2 SB wins with 2 different teams as a starter, over .500 in the Playoffs, 200 total wins - 186 Regular Season/14 Playoffs (most in NFL History). What separates Peyton from the other 2 time winners is he has 5 MVP's and nobody is even close to that. Only Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, and Troy Aikman have more SB wins as a starter.

On September 26, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Jules said:

The title of the thread makes it sound like he is going to die almost. :pokerface:

Look, when he is done in football he has a lot to look forward to as well. He has two young kids and a family. And he will have a huge amount of post football opportunities too.

And his team is winning right now.

Reading the attached article sure made it seem like Peyton was on the brink of physical collapse. Wow, I had no idea. Yes, I know that 18 is almost 40 & with that age 1 would expect some level of aches & pains sure, but darn to hear that reporter describe Manning needing assistance to get his cleats, shoulder pads, gloves, & ankle tape off, you'd swear he was a Civil War soldier about to get his leg cut off because gangrene had set in. Yes, I stole that imagery from Kevin Costner in the movie "Dances With Wolves" I know. 

My only point is this: If 18 needs help taking his uniform off every week during the regular season, it's time to retire & pursue other interests. I dread the agony Manning will feel 10 more years from now. Yikes! 

I like that he used profanity when describing the win last night because that emotion is as real as it gets. 

Plus, he knows the defense sealed the victory for him. Another quality I like: admitting the obvious. 

Jeff Fisher, if you're planning on Peyton saving the Rams as they transition to LA, that's never gonna happen. 

Bye Peyton. It was a fun ride while it lasted. 

On September 28, 2015 at 6:28 PM, chad72 said:

It is not like Peyton asked for the "woe is me, look at me wincing as I take my armor off" treatment that this writer is dramatizing for the effect. I guess he got enough page hits that it has been circulated enough times.

Yeah, there's definitely a heavy dose of artistic license in that writer's article. Click bait is exactly right. 

At least, Kevin Van Valkenberg didn't use the phrase age is the "chink in Manning's NFL armor"; Otherwise, he might have been fired. [ESPN Jeremy Lin fallout NBA reference.] 

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/jeremy-lin-slur-honest-mistake-fired-espn-editor-anthony-federico-claims-article-1.1025566

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 2:52 AM, IcEWoLF said:

Like New England is in a strong division? As far as Grigson knowing who to draft I guess you haven't been keeping track. You let one pick determine your opinion without seeing the bigger picture. Ah by the way, your GM is the head coach.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm working on it. 

Just kidding (or am I???)

In the interest of fairness, if these same detractors admit that they were wrong about Peyton's ability to win another ring, all is forgiven in light of Sunday's night's outcome. 

It's just people who deny what they just saw on Feb. 7th with their own eyes that drive me nuts. In addition, just by virtue of being on the Broncos squad means that Manning gets credit for the SB victory too. [I'm referring to Skip Bayless & similar pundits who act like the Panthers should have won & they frantically search for any excuse to minimize Peyton's role in the final score not you RTB specifically.]

15 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Seems kubiak and elway worked it out pretty well, huh?

They did. Peyton had to basically give up being the engine of the offense to being the steering wheel. He had to give up carrying the team to controlling the direction....and thus he did what he was asked...took a secondary role and helped his team win a SB. Nothing wrong with that. Many stars wouldn't have done that. Peyton was willing to do something many have said he would never do....give up control.....and now we know that NARRATIVE too was wrong. So many narratives proven wrong by him...you'd think people would just let it go and acknowledge he has been one of the finest players to play the QB position the game has seen.

15 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I'm working on it. 

Just kidding (or am I???)

Funny. What I will say about this thread (since I started it) that makes it somewhat relevant is likely a reason why Peyton is likely to retire. He was very fortunate to get a month to heal and refresh at the end of the season....but to go through this for 16 weeks and possibly the playoffs again next year and think he will have it in him to win another SB....likely even he knows that it is unlikely. I do believe Peyton will retire..he didn't want to upstage the event and his teammates. To go through what the writer witnessed week after week at age 40....that just doesn't seem worth it after he was able to finally win that elusive 2nd SB ring. I did like the writer's style...of course I like Hemingway too...I like the way he brought in all your senses like you were in the locker room...smelling the sweat and grass, visualizing the skin turning purple, listening to the groaning and struggle to get out of his "armor". It was very stylistic....a lot better writing then most articles and brought the reader a sense of being there. Kudos to him.

That said people have their opinions and always will. Peyton has pushed back the narratives time and again...he has nothing left to prove to anyone.

On 9/25/2015 at 6:18 PM, Bogie said:

You're right, he should be happy and retire now.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

They did. Peyton had to basically give up being the engine of the offense to being the steering wheel. He had to give up carrying the team to controlling the direction....and thus he did what he was asked...took a secondary role and helped his team win a SB. Nothing wrong with that. Many stars wouldn't have done that. Peyton was willing to do something many have said he would never do....give up control.....and now we know that NARRATIVE too was wrong. So many narratives proven wrong by him...you'd think people would just let it go and acknowledge he has been one of the finest players to play the QB position the game has seen.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Funny. What I will say about this thread (since I started it) that makes it somewhat relevant is likely a reason why Peyton is likely to retire. He was very fortunate to get a month to heal and refresh at the end of the season....but to go through this for 16 weeks and possibly the playoffs again next year and think he will have it in him to win another SB....likely even he knows that it is unlikely. I do believe Peyton will retire..he didn't want to upstage the event and his teammates. To go through what the writer witnessed week after week at age 40....that just doesn't seem worth it after he was able to finally win that elusive 2nd SB ring. I did like the writer's style...of course I like Hemingway too...I like the way he brought in all your senses like you were in the locker room...smelling the sweat and grass, visualizing the skin turning purple, listening to the groaning and struggle to get out of his "armor". It was very stylistic....a lot better writing then most articles and brought the reader a sense of being there. Kudos to him.

That said people have their opinions and always will. Peyton has pushed back the narratives time and again...he has nothing left to prove to anyone.

Agree with both posts.

Peyton, in my mind,  is the best QB ever. He might not get the GOAT status because he didn't have the fortune of playing with some of the greatest teams of all-time, but you can't tell me he wouldn't have won a boatload of Superbowls if he had played with the Steelers of the 70s, 49ers of the 80s, Cowboys of the 90s, or Patriots of the 00s.

Peyton would be my QB if I could choose ANY player in history. 

3 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

Peyton, in my mind,  is the best QB ever. He might not get the GOAT status because he didn't have the fortune of playing with some of the greatest teams of all-time, but you can't tell me he wouldn't have won a boatload of Superbowls if he had played with the Steelers of the 70s, 49ers of the 80s, Cowboys of the 90s, or Patriots of the 00s.

Peyton would be my QB if I could choose ANY player in history. 

It's a tough call. You have Stats, MVP's, SB MVP's, overall wins, of course SB wins too, Clutch factor too. I think it's between Montana, Brady, Unitas, Elway, and Peyton as far as greatest ever. Of course with Unitas I factor in NFL Championships because he played a lot of his career before the SB era. Having said all of that, if I had to choose 1 QB in a Draft it would be Peyton because he can win with any Coach as proven.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's a tough call. You have Stats, MVP's, SB MVP's, overall wins, of course SB wins too, Clutch factor too. I think it's between Montana, Brady, Unitas, Elway, and Peyton as far as greatest ever. Of course with Unitas I factor in NFL Championships because he played a lot of his career before the SB era. Having said all of that, if I had to choose 1 QB in a Draft it would be Peyton because he can win with any Coach as proven.

Personally I don't count super bowl wins because that is team orientated.  It takes a whole team to win super bowls. We have QBs who are not considered even great or even that good who are wearing a ring. There is no need for me to list those QB as we all pretty much know who they are. Peyton changed the way the position was played and just about all present day QBs copy his style and even his cadence. He is one of a kind and has been since day one. As far as GOAT there is no clear cut answer to that with no apparent answer. It's all opinion. You have an old time QB named Sammy Baugh. It can be said he Might be the GOAT but he was a superior player in a time when players didn't play full time. Do we discount what he did because of era? Is Marino not in the picture because of no rings? There are still those who overlook Bradshaw but yet he has four rings. Peyton is my favorite player and it's been one heck of a ride.