Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll time: Fire a Coach Edition

The Peytonator

Who should get the axe first?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming you're only allowed to pick one, which member of management would you like to see fired and why?

• Grigson
    • Pagano
    • Hamilton
    • Manusky

Honestly, I'm on the fence right now. I think I'd have to go with Pep, although Grigson isn't far behind and Pagano is right on his heels. Considering we're supposed to be the 'Greatest 'Shoe on Turf', I would have thought we'd get some points before the tail end of the 3rd quarter. 

Hopefully Peyton retires after this year so we can bring him back home as our offensive coordinator.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's dial back the Peyton for OC talk. That's not going to happen.

I'm not happy with any of them right now, but I'm especially bent about the offensive gameplan. No plays to counter the expected blitz, and too much emphasis on T.Y. in the first half. Offense did not help the defense. Killer holding penalties.

We can't really 'clean house' this year because we are already into the season.

We could shake up the team by letting Pagano go and promoting Chud to full HC but we would still have the problem of Pep as the OC...he is just not up to playcalling in the NFL...especially against the top DCs in the league.

BUT we would get one MAJOR piece of valuable information...a season to determine whether Chud is going to be a good HC or not

If we could find a good OC that would be great...but we would probably do something STUPID like promoting Clyde Christensen to OC, YUCK!

Firing anyone right now is just dumb.  While there is a chance that the Colts can turn this around (they did start 0-2 last year and ended up in the AFCCG) if you fire someone now you are pretty much flushing the season down the drain. 

I absolutely would not want to fire somebody now....that would be the opposite of productive. This offseason though, I think the entire house needs to be cleaned.

Firing anyone right now is just dumb.  While there is a chance that the Colts can turn this around (they did start 0-2 last year and ended up in the AFCCG) if you fire someone now you are pretty much flushing the season down the drain. 

Didn't Calwell take over as OC for the Ravens when they won the SB .

I absolutely would not want to fire somebody now....that would be the opposite of productive. This offseason though, I think the entire house needs to be cleaned.

I'll wait for the season to play out and make a judgement then.  If they go 5-11 and miss the playoffs my answer is going to be very different from if they go 12-4 and have a deep playoff run. 

I'm gonna go Grigson at this point. He's done some great things with personnel, but he's also done a lot of bad things. His record just seems to spotty to me to rely on for long-term success.

For every gem he's brought is, he's also brought us a real turd to match.

Doubt it happens though. Pagano seems to be the scapegoat. Grigson's seat doesn't seem to be very warm at all, and I just don't understand that. Maybe not "hot" but there should definitely be some heat.

Firing anyone right now is just dumb. While there is a chance that the Colts can turn this around (they did start 0-2 last year and ended up in the AFCCG) if you fire someone now you are pretty much flushing the season down the drain.

I'm not sure that's the point. I'm pretty sure this is a hypothetical question.

I'm firing Grigson. Not one could 1st round pick since Luck. Luck is saving this whole franchise, but he's starting to wear down himself and it's showing. Can't build a team with ferraris and porsche's, gotta start from inside out. Our foundation in the front 7 is just pathetic. 

So why bring up the subject ONE game into the season...  :facepalm:

Sounds like troll bait to me!

Let the season play out, seems like many here have an anti front office agenda going on and this seasons results (or past) make no difference.  :puke:

Pagano and Pep, but if only 1 guy was going to leave i would definately pick Pep to go. I myself actually like Grigson, hes definately learning alot as he goes and is yet to fix our O line (which Irsay needs to address) but atleast he continues to improve this team every year. I love his aggresivness.

Firing the OC is very different from firing the HC or GM in the middle of the season. I can listen to maybe firing a coordinator but I think doing so after one game coming off a championship game season is foolish. 

Could not agree more we have to much talent to clean house .

If I had to choose one? pagano. He seems like a good guy but I want a staff that can outsmart the other staff.....not be a player's best friend.

Grigson hasn't done much either but I think this teams issues go beyond just a lack of talent. Just MO.

Having said that you can't fire head coach during the season unless your team is 1st pick in the draft bad. It shouldn't happen until after the year if we don't improve.

So why bring up the subject ONE game into the season...  :facepalm:

Sounds like troll bait to me!

Let the season play out, seems like many here have an anti front office agenda going on and this seasons results (or past) make no difference.  :puke:

Hey buddy, I'm just trying to gauge everybody else's thoughts. I'm having a hard time deciding on who is the most to blame. This team, for all it's 'talent' sure does seem to get blown the * out about 4 times a year, plus a playoff game. Not sure how it's troll bait to acknowledge a team's deficiencies.

But hey, we can always let the season play out to its inevitable playoff blowout, extend Pagano, and bring in more 'horseshoe' or 'blue trait' guys. We used our first round draft pick on a guy to return punts, and he muffed two of them today. Last year's was used on a guy that's not in the league anymore, and is regarded by some as the worst RB in the history of the game. But hey, at least 2013's number one pick wasn't worthless....we got ourselves a heck of a back up SAM Linebacker out of it.

Hey buddy, I'm just trying to gauge everybody else's thoughts. I'm having a hard time deciding on who is the most to blame. This team, for all it's 'talent' sure does seem to get blown the * out about 4 times a year, plus a playoff game. Not sure how it's troll bait to acknowledge a team's deficiencies.

But hey, we can always let the season play out to its inevitable playoff blowout, extend Pagano, and bring in more 'horseshoe' or 'blue trait' guys. We used our first round draft pick on a guy to return punts, and he muffed two of them today. Last year's was used on a guy that's not in the league anymore, and is regarded by some as the worst RB in the history of the game. But hey, at least 2013's number one pick wasn't worthless....we got ourselves a heck of a back up SAM Linebacker out of it.

Exactly my point.... you seem to have already decided your opinion of the FO and this team ONE game into the season.

I'm not happy about what I saw out there today, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

Just seems foolish to speculate this matter at this time...

hence the agenda comment.

Hell, we could have Vince Lombardi as HC, GM, and Owner and people would be calling for heads to roll.  SAD!

For this season, firing Pep would be the quickest way to improve the team. The defense is what it is - no quick fixes. Your only chance of contending is with a creative play caller who can exploit favorable matchups and get the most out of this offense.

If everyone is so concerned with firing Grigson then who would be a better option at the moment for a replacement come next offseason? I am asking as I have no idea who some good candidates would be. Some of you guys seem like you have it all planned out so I am curious to see some peoples ideas.

I'm going with Pagano right now. Grigson I'd right behind him though. We need a coach with some fire and passion. And coach who isn't afraid to get onto his team a light a fire under their rear if needed. Who isn't concerned about being a nice guy all the time and being a friend. Not saying he needs to be mean. Not at all. But the ability to be firm and bring an intensity. Someone who preaches and encourages physicality, getting nasty up front. And a coach who van game plan effectively and understands how best to use his talent.

wish I could like this post more! I like the way you think peytonator just ignore the "your a bad fan cause your actually able to see we suck" fans. Your 100% right about our use of 1st rounders.

Yes, yesterday's game was a disaster, a train wreck. But seriously fire anyone after 1 game?

It should have been done earlier, during the off-season, or should be done next offseason. Firing a coach right after the first game would cause more distraction to the team IMO. Whatever the outcome of the season would be we have to take it.

Besides, lets go a few...lets say 4-5 games into the season and judge the team and coaching staff only after. 

I'm going to wait until season's end. But, if this trend of getting blown out of the water by the upper echelon teams continues, then I suggest firing the whole staff.

Drafting Dorsett looks exceptionally foolish right now.

I'd really like to hear Pag's unadulterated opinion of Grigs right now.

I'm going to wait until season's end. But, if this trend of getting blown out of the water by the upper echelon teams continues, then I suggest firing the whole staff.

Drafting Dorsett looks exceptionally foolish right now.

I'd really like to hear Pag's unadulterated opinion of Grigs right now.

it only looks foolish to pick Dorsett because they failed to even use the pick..I don't understand how they force fed t rich but not use Dorsett on the field till the 4th.. Coaching staff just is stupid pep and pagano are holding us back

it only looks foolish to pick Dorsett because they failed to even use the pick..I don't understand how they force fed t rich but not use Dorsett on the field till the 4th.. Coaching staff just is stupid pep and pagano are holding us back

Yes and no.. I can understand working him into the rotation, especially when you have Johnson/Moncrief/Hilton, but at least give him some snaps. 

Grigson because when you have a terrible offensive line and one of the best guards in the league is sitting in free agency YOU DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SIGN HIM!!!!!! You don't say "Oh yeah we like what we have and we feel comfortable with where we're at"

I went Pagano because good coaches can make second half adjustments and you never see that with Pagano as far as im concerned the whole staff needs to go because they suck greatest shoe on turf not even close.

Yes and no.. I can understand working him into the rotation, especially when you have Johnson/Moncrief/Hilton, but at least give him some snaps.

I like the fact how he came in and became basically Hilton 2.0 he was getting seperation with ease but it's foolish not to have play him and Hilton together outcome would've certainly been different

I think this disaster falls on all the above....however, I don't think we need to fire anyone just yet.  I'm sure my tune will change if this continues but lets also understand, there is a ton of new faces on the starting team.  It's gonna take a couple games to get adjusted to the game speed and this was a tough test.  There are a ton of negatives that came out of this game, but there was also some positives, namely Anderson on the DL.  He's gonna be a beast. Dorsett looked nervous, which can be expected of rookies in their first game.