Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The sky is not falling, everyone relax [Mega-merge]

ColtStrong

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And still made it to the AFC championship game....

It's one game and it might even be a good thing that it happened. This offense had heard all off-season how they were going to be the league leading unit and that they were going to be "the greatest shoe on earth"..... This will knock them back into reality and make them work their butts off.

The Pats were tipped to be on the downfall and Brady was supposedly washed up and done by week 4 last season.... In case you hadnt heard, they went on to win the SB....

If we get manhandled again by the Jets, then I might be seriously questioning this team, but after watching what went wrong from yesterdays game I think they bounce back.

Its much more fun doing the "sky is FALLING dance"

Oh no............

O.o

We will be fine

Our OL is a little better than last year

Our DL is a little better than last year (Maybe 2 notches better)

Our best CB SHUT DOWN their best WR.......

Our new RB (Dont call me AL) is a good player (We just need to run him more)

Our QB...... had a horrible game

Our ILBs....... stunk up the place

Our recievers did NOT fight for the 50/50 ball

"The sun will come up..... tommorow....."   Best Shirley Temple voice (Ok I am old)

And still made it to the AFC championship game....

It's one game and it might even be a good thing that it happened. This offense had heard all off-season how they were going to be the league leading unit and that they were going to be "the greatest shoe on earth"..... This will knock them back into reality and make them work their butts off.

The Pats were tipped to be on the downfall and Brady was supposedly washed up and done by week 4 last season.... In case you hadnt heard, they went on to win the SB....

If we get manhandled again by the Jets, then I might be seriously questioning this team, but after watching what went wrong from yesterdays game I think they bounce back.

It wasn't the loss, it was the way we played in that loss.  50% of the teams lost yesterday... few played as bad as we did.  We didn't even look like the Colts.. we didn't act like the Colts and the results only had in common the same shortcomings of our blow out losses from last year.  Our offense couldn't do anything without major mistakes, penalties and shortfalls.  The same mental errors we've seen all pre-season are still happening.  In the Manning years we were always one of the least penalized teams in the league, but penalties cost us that game I think because we got so discombobulated it ruined any momentum we could find. We also let a first time QB starter look like a Pro Bowler against us.  

It's a different year and the Titans look legit with Mariota. We can't go by what we did last year.

The Titans look legit?!

Wow... They beat down on quite possibly the worst team in the league and all of a sudden they are legit? RG3 "took the league by storm" in his entire first year and yeah he's a totally legit player.... (sarcasm)

The moral is R-E-L-A-X

i am kind of worried about AJ.  he was probably the worst WR on the field yesterday

it might be time to bench freeman too, if he doesnt get it together soon

pep needs to do better as well.

i am not worried about luck, though he had a sub par game.  second int was not his fault at all, he had to throw it, even if no one was open.  the first one was not a great throw but ty had a shot to  knock it down, or at the very least commit an offensive PI(why not?)

When looking at yesterdays game, i'm really not worried about this team. Everything we need to succeed is there. Yes, we had 3 turnovers and very poor execution on plays that we should not have been calling from the get go. It is painful to watch, especially when playing from behind all game. 

I see our teams talent and potential, we will be fine. I honestly think we won the game if Dorsett did not muff the punt, because Luck comes back with a vengeance. Luck is going to play like a mad man next game, I trust he will light the fire underneath Andre and Frank a we will get on a hot streak here. 

The holding call on the first drive (after a big completion to Allen) that stalled the drive really could have changed the out look of the game. If we could have gotten up on them it could have been a different game. If we can clean it up a bit, I think we will be okay. But there is defiantly a lot they need to work on to ensure that happens.

There were a lot of positives. We just shot ourselves in the foot too many times. We were very much still in it. Defense and Offense cleaned up in the second half. Protection was not that bad. We missed a FG which completely changed the game also. 

I'm trying to buy up all the Colts players in FF after this week. :)

Our first drive could have really set the tone for the game. It would have been a lot closer if not for the penalties and mistakes, IMO.

Buffalo adjusted well to our receivers, and a few gambles paid off. Time will tell about our season. It's still too early for me, but I do recognize the trends that everyone else is seeing.

There were a lot of positives. We just shot ourselves in the foot too many times. We were very much still in it. Defense and Offense cleaned up in the second half. Protection was not that bad. We missed a FG which completely changed the game also. 

I'm trying to buy up all the Colts players in FF after this week. :)

The holding call on the first drive (after a big completion to Allen) that stalled the drive really could have changed the out look of the game. If we could have gotten up on them it could have been a different game. If we can clean it up a bit, I think we will be okay. But there is defiantly a lot they need to work on to ensure that happens.

I just get so shocked with some of the negativity I see on here sometimes, it's one game ya know... I honestly think Pep did not know how to handle the Bills defense and it caused the offense to scurry at times. But it will definitely get a lot better this season.

Reasons to stay optimistic:

• The eventual Superbowl champion New England Patriots lost 33-20 to open up last year’s season. Tom Brady went 29/56 (51.8%) with 249 yards (4.45 yards per attempt) and 1 touchdown. He also took 4 sacks.
  • Speaking of teams that made it deep into the playoffs - 3 out of the 4 teams that made it to the conference championship lost the season opener. By the second game of the season none of the 4 teams had a better record than 1 - 1.  By week 4, Seattle was the only team better than 2-2. The Patriots lost in a week 4 blow out 41 - 14 to Kansas City. 
  • Aaron Rodgers put up an awful game against the Bills last season. Nobody started freaking out about how he was overrated.  He went a disastrous 17/42 (40.5%) with 185 yards (4.4 yards per attempt) no tds, and 2 picks. Woof.
  • More on that - the Bills defense is really good. They held opponents to 210 passing yards or less in 11 out of 16 match ups last year. They lead the league in sacks last year at 54.
  • And the obligatory mention of… The AFC South. We should be able to rule the roost in the division again this year.

Very real problems observed in week 1 that could sink this team:

• The pass rush looked weak. 0 hits on the QB, let alone a sack. The Bills offensive line aren’t the Cowboys, but they handled the Colts pass rush with ease. It’s really tough to win games against good QBs when you don’t harass them and put them under pressure. Heck, it’s really hard to win games against average QBs if you can’t put pressure on them. 
  • The game plan on offense, made no sense. It was maddening. You’re facing probably one of the toughest defenses in the league in their building - on a wet, blustery day - and you completely abandon the running game? Why? Even when you’re a pass first offense, you’re setting your passing game up to be inefficient. Luck had a bit of an off game by his standard, but the coaching staff put him in a positions that set him up to look bad. Play action becomes less of an option when you run that sort of offense. It gets harder on your offensive line to keep pass blocking every play. I don’t know, I just thought that was a mess. If there was ever a situation where it made no sense to abandon the run game - this was it. I can see that as a fan. Why can’t the professionals?

Reasons to stay optimistic:

• The eventual Superbowl champion New England Patriots lost 33-20 to open up last year’s season. Tom Brady went 29/56 (51.8%) with 249 yards (4.45 yards per attempt) and 1 touchdown. He also took 4 sacks.
  • Speaking of teams that made it deep into the playoffs - 3 out of the 4 teams that made it to the conference championship lost the season opener. By the second game of the season none of the 4 teams had a better record than 1 - 1.  By week 4, Seattle was the only team better than 2-2. The Patriots lost in a week 4 blow out 41 - 14 to Kansas City. 
  • Aaron Rodgers put up an awful game against the Bills last season. Nobody started freaking out about how he was overrated.  He went a disastrous 17/42 (40.5%) with 185 yards (4.4 yards per attempt) no tds, and 2 picks. Woof.
  • More on that - the Bills defense is really good. They held opponents to 210 passing yards or less in 11 out of 16 match ups last year. They lead the league in sacks last year at 54.
  • And the obligatory mention of… The AFC South. We should be able to rule the roost in the division again this year.

Very real problems observed in week 1 that could sink this team:

• The pass rush looked weak. 0 hits on the QB, let alone a sack. The Bills offensive line aren’t the Cowboys, but they handled the Colts pass rush with ease. It’s really tough to win games against good QBs when you don’t harass them and put them under pressure. Heck, it’s really hard to win games against average QBs if you can’t put pressure on them. 
  • The game plan on offense, made no sense. It was maddening. You’re facing probably one of the toughest defenses in the league in their building - on a wet, blustery day - and you completely abandon the running game? Why? Even when you’re a pass first offense, you’re setting your passing game up to be inefficient. Luck had a bit of an off game by his standard, but the coaching staff put him in a positions that set him up to look bad. Play action becomes less of an option when you run that sort of offense. It gets harder on your offensive line to keep pass blocking every play. I don’t know, I just thought that was a mess. If there was ever a situation where it made no sense to abandon the run game - this was it. I can see that as a fan. Why can’t the professionals?

I could not fathom why they abandoned the run also...are they paying him to block...he should have gotten the ball at least 15 times minimum...oh well on to the Jets GO COLTS!

I just watched Pagano's press conference from today and he says after looking at the tape, everything is fixable.

I meant to put that as a positive part in the 'positives and negatives thread'.

A few turnovers and penalties killed us.  Then a few big plays given up by the D killed us.  I agree with Pagano, though, just about everything we did wrong yesterday is fixable.  On K. Williams' big TD run, Freeman overran his gap and left a gaping hole in our defense.  On the big TD pass, Butler got burned when he was playing with a cushion, which shouldn't happen.

Let's not forget, we've only ever lost back-to-back regular season games once in the Pagano era.  That was last year when we started 0-2 -- and we had a very good game plan going into Philadelphia in week 2 -- Luck threw a very costly pick on a very poor decision late in that game when we had the lead and essentially just had to run some more time off the clock, otherwise we would have won that game.

I, for one, firmly believe this team is better than what we saw yesterday and that we've got a competent enough coaching staff to get our mistakes corrected moving forward.  I also think people are underestimating how good that Bills' D is (perhaps the best in the league).  For those reasons, I think it is way too early for anyone to start hitting the panic button.

I just watched Pagano's press conference from today and he says after looking at the tape, everything is fixable.

I meant to put that as a positive part in the 'positives and negatives thread'.

A few turnovers and penalties killed us.  Then a few big plays given up by the D killed us.  I agree with Pagano, though, just about everything we did wrong yesterday is fixable.  On K. Williams' big TD run, Freeman overran his gap and left a gaping hole in our defense.  On the big TD pass, Butler got burned when he was playing with a cushion, which shouldn't happen.

Let's not forget, we've only ever lost back-to-back regular season games once in the Pagano era.  That was last year when we started 0-2 -- and we had a very good game plan going into Philadelphia in week 2 -- Luck threw a very costly pick on a very poor decision late in that game when we had the lead and essentially just had to run some more time off the clock, otherwise we would have won that game.

I, for one, firmly believe this team is better than what we saw yesterday and that we've got a competent enough coaching staff to get our mistakes corrected moving forward.  I also think people are underestimating how good that Bills' D is (perhaps the best in the league).  For those reasons, I think it is way too early for anyone to start hitting the panic button.

we cant be as bad as we played yesterday. can we?

we cant be as bad as we played yesterday. can we?

No, we are not that bad.

However, looking back at that game -- we didn't really play all that terrible.  A few terrible (and untimely) plays, that should be correctable, but in all, if we limit the self-inflicted wounds and stay healthy, I think we'll be just fine moving forward.

I'm sure Buffalo feels they could have played better too. They're also breaking in a new coach and QB. They will also improve as the season moves along.

I came away from watching the game thinking Buffalo is a better team. It wasn't a fluke missed tackle here or an an anamolous interception there- they handed our posteriors to us in every phase of the game. How do you fix that?

Well of course eveything is fixable. It starts with firing the coaches.

Can we do this in stages? Like start by dumping Pep immediately and have Chud call the offensive plays?

Then fire Pagano if he doesn't learn FAST how to be a tough boss/leader, prepare/motivate his team, make in-game adjustments (maybe Chud's job).

Anyway, the Colts cannot afford to have Pep here anymore.

I'm sure Buffalo feels they could have played better too. They're also breaking in a new coach and QB. They will also improve as the season moves along.

I came away from watching the game thinking Buffalo is a better team. It wasn't a fluke missed tackle here or an an anamolous interception there- they handed our posteriors to us in every phase of the game. How do you fix that?

I disagree. We made stupid mistakes in every phase of the game, and you fix that by not making stupid mistakes. Credit to them, and it's not like we would have obliterated them otherwise. But better execution on a handful of plays changes the look of that game.

Well of course eveything is fixable. It starts with firing the coaches.

Our coaches aren't the ones that got flagged for holding to negate a 30 yard completion, which ultimately put us in a position to start off losing the field position battle.  Holmes did that.

Our coaches didn't overshoot their gap and allow a 26 yard rushing touchdown.  Freeman did that.

Our coaches didn't underthrow a pass that got intercepted and lead to a Bills' touchdown.  Luck did that.

Our coaches didn't decide to run a kickoff out of the endzone and slip on the 3 yard line, putting us in terrible field position.  Moncrief did that.

Our coaches didn't muff 2 punts, one of them being recovered by another team.  Dorsett did that.

Our coaches didn't play terrible coverage on a 51 yard touchdown.  Butler did that.

Our coaches didn't terribly miss a 52 yard field goal, which put the Bills in good field position and lead to a touchdown.  Vinatieri did that.

Our coaches didn't drop a 2 point conversion that hit them right in the hands.  Andre Johnson did that.

Our coaches didn't hit the opposing QB high and late to move them from their territory to our territory.  Walden did that.  If not for that bone-headed play to give them 15 free yards, I'd say the only time we were 'outcoached' this game was when the Bills scored a TD on their first drive of the second half.

If we correct the mental mistakes and turnovers, we would have had a very good shot at winning that game.  That is the best defense we will probably face all season.  There is absolutely no reason to call for the coaches' heads or panic yet.  If we don't cut down on these mistakes and see improvements, then maybe we can start throwing the blame at the coaches.  It was week 1 in a 16 game season, I'm pretty sure we'll be just fine with the coaches we have.

What Superman said.  I don't think we would crush Buffalo, but am pretty sure if we had to play them again and both teams fixed all their mistakes made yesterday, we have a very good shot at winning that game.

I disagree. We made stupid mistakes in every phase of the game, and you fix that by not making stupid mistakes. Credit to them, and it's not like we would have obliterated them otherwise. But better execution on a handful of plays changes the look of that game.

We went almost three quarters without scoring a point. That leaves alot of 'execution' to be desired.

We went almost three quarters without scoring a point. That leaves alot of 'execution' to be desired.

If not for Holmes' hold on our first drive, we would have most likely scored on the first drive, with a first and 10 on Buffalo's 36.  Instead, we wound up punting from our own 37 -- immediately putting us in a losing battle for field position.

If Luck puts a little more air on the INT, that would have been a complete pass landing us near the Buffalo 15, which would have been our 2nd scoring drive of the 1st quarter.  Instead, they returned an interception to just about mid-field to give them a short field to score on.

If Vinatieri makes that 52 yard FG (something he's always been capable of doing in the past), we have our 3rd scoring drive of the first half.  Instead, we left them in good field position.

Those 3 plays alone are responsible for ruining 3 scoring drives in the first half.  They may be more responsible than that, as who knows what Buffalo would have done had we scored and had them starting on their own 20 instead of leaving them in good field position.

A lot of it was fixable.

The one thing I think we're screwed on either way: the ILBs.

Freeman.... I don't even know. I dunno if it's the lack of the big contract he seemed to think he deserved or what, but the dude has regressed from when he made a name for himself. And in a big way. He's been riding the line between mediocre and bad so hard that I'm not sure he will ever get back into the right lane.

Jackson is who we thought he is: he's old, and his best days are well behind him. He won't make it all season as a starter. He just can't from what I saw yesterday. His tank looked to be below the E yesterday.

Other than that, it was ugly, but manageable. So long as the giant elephant in the room isn't taking a dump in the punch bowl and taking everyone's attention away from working on solutions.

A lot of it was fixable.

The one thing I think we're screwed on either way: the ILBs.

Freeman.... I don't even know. I dunno if it's the lack of the big contract he seemed to think he deserved or what, but the dude has regressed from when he made a name for himself. And in a big way. He's been riding the line between mediocre and bad so hard that I'm not sure he will ever get back into the right lane.

Jackson is who we thought he is: he's old, and his best days are well behind him. He won't make it all season as a starter. He just can't from what I saw yesterday. His tank looked to be below the E yesterday.

Other than that, it was ugly, but manageable. So long as the giant elephant in the room isn't taking a dump in the punch bowl and taking everyone's attention away from working on solutions.

I will not be shocked to see Irving or Sio Moore get a lot more reps very soon, as I also came away from the game thinking ILB followed by Butler as an outside corner are our two biggest areas of concern moving forward.

To be honest, I've never really been big on Freeman -- he had a lot of tackles as a rookie I think due to such a porous d-line that gave him plenty of opportunity.  He did seem to have a little more range back then, but I don't think he was ever anything more than an average player on a below average defense.  Our DL, I thought, was a positive for most of the game yesterday and that really highlighted some of Freeman's weaknesses -- hard to hide your weaknesses when you can't blame someone else for your shortcomings.

Good news is we can see being the better team can change on a per weekly basis in the NFL at least. I'm sure the Bills will have an ugly game or two this season. They may look like the better team now, but who knows a few weeks from now. Next week is up against another solid D, we'll see if they can figure the Jets out.

Our coaches aren't the ones that got flagged for holding to negate a 30 yard completion, which ultimately put us in a position to start off losing the field position battle. Holmes did that.

Our coaches didn't overshoot their gap and allow a 26 yard rushing touchdown. Freeman did that.

Our coaches didn't underthrow a pass that got intercepted and lead to a Bills' touchdown. Luck did that.

Our coaches didn't decide to run a kickoff out of the endzone and slip on the 3 yard line, putting us in terrible field position. Moncrief did that.

Our coaches didn't muff 2 punts, one of them being recovered by another team. Dorsett did that.

Our coaches didn't play terrible coverage on a 51 yard touchdown. Butler did that.

Our coaches didn't terribly miss a 52 yard field goal, which put the Bills in good field position and lead to a touchdown. Vinatieri did that.

Our coaches didn't drop a 2 point conversion that hit them right in the hands. Andre Johnson did that.

Our coaches didn't hit the opposing QB high and late to move them from their territory to our territory. Walden did that. If not for that bone-headed play to give them 15 free yards, I'd say the only time we were 'outcoached' this game was when the Bills scored a TD on their first drive of the second half.

If we correct the mental mistakes and turnovers, we would have had a very good shot at winning that game. That is the best defense we will probably face all season. There is absolutely no reason to call for the coaches' heads or panic yet. If we don't cut down on these mistakes and see improvements, then maybe we can start throwing the blame at the coaches. It was week 1 in a 16 game season, I'm pretty sure we'll be just fine with the coaches we have.

*applause*..... nicely said

Our coaches aren't the ones that got flagged for holding to negate a 30 yard completion, which ultimately put us in a position to start off losing the field position battle.  Holmes did that.

Our coaches didn't overshoot their gap and allow a 26 yard rushing touchdown.  Freeman did that.

Our coaches didn't underthrow a pass that got intercepted and lead to a Bills' touchdown.  Luck did that.

Our coaches didn't decide to run a kickoff out of the endzone and slip on the 3 yard line, putting us in terrible field position.  Moncrief did that.

Our coaches didn't muff 2 punts, one of them being recovered by another team.  Dorsett did that.

Our coaches didn't play terrible coverage on a 51 yard touchdown.  Butler did that.

Our coaches didn't terribly miss a 52 yard field goal, which put the Bills in good field position and lead to a touchdown.  Vinatieri did that.

Our coaches didn't drop a 2 point conversion that hit them right in the hands.  Andre Johnson did that.

Our coaches didn't hit the opposing QB high and late to move them from their territory to our territory.  Walden did that.  If not for that bone-headed play to give them 15 free yards, I'd say the only time we were 'outcoached' this game was when the Bills scored a TD on their first drive of the second half.

If we correct the mental mistakes and turnovers, we would have had a very good shot at winning that game.  That is the best defense we will probably face all season.  There is absolutely no reason to call for the coaches' heads or panic yet.  If we don't cut down on these mistakes and see improvements, then maybe we can start throwing the blame at the coaches.  It was week 1 in a 16 game season, I'm pretty sure we'll be just fine with the coaches we have.

Preach it, man! Preach it!

We were outcoached the whole game. Its the coach's job to teach discipline and technique ... so a lot of the discipline mistakes/mental errors fall partly on the coaches.

Coaches decided to have AV go for that long FG in the wind and rain.  AV may have been the one that actually missed it, but the coaches were the ones that made the decision to gamble. 

Also up to the coaches to prepare a game plan ... ours was bad.

Unprepared players, a lot of mental mistakes, bad decisions, bad technique/poor execution, etc ... is often a reflection of the coaches and how well they prepared the players prior to the game.