Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady bumps the play clock?!?!

Detectacon

Here is a video from yesterday's game. In it you see the pats in the huddle. They all suddenly look up (seemingly in the direction of the clock). Brady steps out of the huddle, makes a gesture, and suddenly the play clock has more time on it. I'm not saying it was what happened.... Wait, that's exactly what I am saying. You decide for yourself.

I may be wrong, but these appear to be examples of the play clock being reset after a timeout.

You are correct that the clock resets to 25 seconds after a timeout. However, it had already run out 15 seconds prior to the clock being reset for a total of 40 seconds. That fifteen seconds made a difference considering the play clock almost ran out on the and would have without it. I don't know if they took a time out before the play but they were in a normal huddle and do not appear to have taken a time out.

lmao, more garbage being posted up in here...of course the guy commenting is no role model either.

This happens every game for every team...

So the tape shows exactly what happened and you call it garbage. No tell us what does the commentator being a role model or not, have to do with this tape? Just like most patriot fans you are good a deflecting the issue.

So the tape shows exactly what happened and you call it garbage. No tell us what does the commentator being a role model or not, have to do with this tape? Just like most patriot fans you are good a deflecting the issue.

So you believe this is a real issue? Like you actually believe that this is something that you should add to your 'Patriots are cheaterzz' arsenal.

With fear of being told I'm deflecting again, let me explain a little something to you...something that everyone who has ever watched a football game should already know. Every quarterback in the league does this when they want the officials to reset the play clock. When the clock isn't right because of some delay or administrative issue, officials bump it back to 25 second.

Seriously though, is this real life? Timeclockgate? I think it might be time to start asking you guys what's in YOUR water...not the other way around.

You're better than this.

So you believe this is a real issue? Like you actually believe that this is something that you should add to your 'Patriots are cheaterzz' arsenal.

With fear of being told I'm deflecting again, let me explain a little something to you...something that everyone who has ever watched a football game should already know. Every quarterback in the league does this when they want the officials to reset the play clock. When the clock isn't right because of some delay or administrative issue, officials bump it back to 25 second.

Seriously though, is this real life? Timeclockgate? I think it might be time to start asking you guys what's in YOUR water...not the other way around.

You're better than this.

You are 100% correct. I am better than this. There for they will be no more comments made to you are any other patriot fan. It is apparent the patriot fans come into this forum not to talk or debate football. I would bet that 90% of all comments made by patriot fans do nothing but argue and promote hostility. It makes no difference to patriot fans why so many distrust and dislike the patriots. You may ask what's in our water? The real question might be how long will you drink the kool aid and refuse to accept that the patriots are not liked and it makes no difference how many times you come into this forum and defend your team. You and other patriot fans fully know this but you insist on a non stop argument knowing what the results will be. I will no longer play your games and partake in a conversation that ends just like all patriot subjects end. This is a public forum, not a forum for patriot fans to come and whine and cry about how most of the members feel about the patriots. Now you can boast, brag and anything else you care to do to someone else because I will no longer give a patriot fan the time of day. If other members would follow suit maybe someday this forum can return to a fun place to come and talk football and not have the patriots a topic that stirs a never ending argument. There is a reason that patriot threads get shutdown. Now you have yourself a great day.

You are 100% correct. I am better than this. There for they will be no more comments made to you are any other patriot fan. It is apparent the patriot fans come into this forum not to talk or debate football. I would bet that 90% of all comments made by patriot fans do nothing but argue and promote hostility. It makes no difference to patriot fans why so many distrust and dislike the patriots. You may ask what's in our water? The real question might be how long will you drink the kool aid and refuse to accept that the patriots are not liked and it makes no difference how many times you come into this forum and defend your team. You and other patriot fans fully know this but you insist on a non stop argument knowing what the results will be. I will no longer play your games and partake in a conversation that ends just like all patriot subjects end. This is a public forum, not a forum for patriot fans to come and whine and cry about how most of the members feel about the patriots. Now you can boast, brag and anything else you care to do to someone else because I will no longer give a patriot fan the time of day. If other members would follow suit maybe someday this forum can return to a fun place to come and talk football and not have the patriots a topic that stirs a never ending argument. There is a reason that patriot threads get shutdown. Now you have yourself a great day.

I'm joining your team.

This is absolutely dumb. This happens all the time. Did the clock get reset properly to 25 instead of 40..perhaps not but dang you people are drinking some serious kool aid if you think there is some bigger conspiracy here. Never seen so many whiners and complainers ever...ever. I know they've cheated/broke the rules..and who knows maybe they continue to do so..but I'm not going to spend my whole life crying about it or looking for every little thing wrong. It's football...its a big boy sport...lets put our big boy pants on and beat them. It will be that much sweeter when we do but I'm just tired of every little time something comes up we immediately have to call people cheaters when we know mistakes like this happen every game in the NFL. I would hope we don't sink to the level where we lose any credibility when something real happens by crying wolf to junk like this.

This is absolutely dumb. This happens all the time. Did the clock get reset properly to 25 instead of 40..perhaps not but dang you people are drinking some serious kool aid if you think there is some bigger conspiracy here. Never seen so many whiners and complainers ever...ever. I know they've cheated/broke the rules..and who knows maybe they continue to do so..but I'm not going to spend my whole life crying about it or looking for every little thing wrong. It's football...its a big boy sport...lets put our big boy pants on and beat them. It will be that much sweeter when we do but I'm just tired of every little time something comes up we immediately have to call people cheaters when we know mistakes like this happen every game in the NFL. I would hope we don't sink to the level where we lose any credibility when something real happens by crying wolf to junk like this.

The problem is they continue to break the rules because it goes unpunished.

That's the problem. And then Patriots fans try to justify it.

This isn't really an issue but it does reflect what most NFL fans think about the Patriots.

First thing that comes to people's mind is "cheaters".

The mental asterisks on those Super Bowls will always be there.

Sorry Pats fans. But it is the organization's own fault.

And that's perfectly fine and quite honestly, expected. The part that is starting to get old is having to post in response to the stuff that ISN'T there. As I've said before, there is enough to ACTUALLY point to without having to fabricate additional controversy.

I mean honestly, it must be absolutely exhausting being in this constant 'gotcha' mode of trying to create this suspicion about things that are fairly common and we see all the time in this league. Stay on red alert if you want, but let's try to find SOME semblance of objectivity around here again...because it got lost over the last 8 months on both sides...and threads like this continue to cripple this place.

I can't even begin to comprehend where you got this idea that they have gone unpunished...

Indeed...but I can't believe that the Patriots want to reinstate the two guys at the center of the controversy (with the footballs) back to work with them...so a lot of things are pretty unbelievable lol.

I can't even begin to comprehend where you got this idea that they have gone unpunished...

Brady breaks the rules. No suspension. 

That's unpunished. 

Patriots get caught breaking the rules. Allowed to play in SB with WITH EVERY PLAYER/COACH.

I'd trade a first round pick every year if they still let me break the rules and win the SB.

Do you really think the Pats wouldn't give up a first rounder to be allowed to play while breaking the rules?

That's unpunished.

Patriots get caught breaking the rules. Allowed to play in SB with WITH EVERY PLAYER/COACH.

I'd trade a first round pick every year if they still let me break the rules and win the SB.

Do you really think the Pats wouldn't give up a first rounder to be allowed to play while breaking the rules?

In Deflategate, the team (their employees)broke the rules, not Brady. As a result the team was punished, not Brady.

In Spygate, Belichick broke the rules, and BOTH he and the team were punished.

If you want to make the case that the punishments did not fit the crimes, then that's a separate issue entirely. But for Spygate, it was the harshest punishment ever given at the time, and for Deflategate, it was widely believed that the punishment was absurdly harsh.

So to say that the Patriots don't get punished and as a result they continue to cheat is disingenuous at best.

In Deflategate, the team (their employees)broke the rules, not Brady. As a result the team was punished, not Brady.

In Spygate, Belichick broke the rules, and BOTH he and the team were punished.

If you want to make the case that the punishments did not fit the crimes, then that's a separate issue entirely. But for Spygate, it was the harshest punishment ever given at the time, and for Deflategate, it was widely believed that the punishment was absurdly harsh.

So to say that the Patriots don't get punished and as a result they continue to cheat is disingenuous at best.

That's technically true but he was "more probable than not" aware of what was going on.

I guess they were punished but obviously not enough if they keep breaking and bending the rules.

Indeed...but I can't believe that the Patriots want to reinstate the two guys at the center of the controversy (with the footballs) back to work with them...so a lot of things are pretty unbelievable lol.

you mean that guy they call the deflator for weight loss?? Oh yeah everyone calls people that now days :facepalm:

You are correct that the clock resets to 25 seconds after a timeout. However, it had already run out 15 seconds prior to the clock being reset for a total of 40 seconds. That fifteen seconds made a difference considering the play clock almost ran out on the and would have without it. I don't know if they took a time out before the play but they were in a normal huddle and do not appear to have taken a time out.

The clock doesn't resume until they take the huddle. The time you see on the clock is likely the remainder left of the timeout. Nothing to see here. 

....and to you others; Can we not even mention the damn Pats without "delfategate" being discussed again? This is getting exhausting. Move on. 

This is yet another example of the Patriots doing RIGHT TO YOUR FACE with no repercussions. I cannot even fathom how the NFL allows them to get away with this. Just look at this, from the Super Bowl no less:

TheseSnivelingClingfish.gif

Brady clearly acts as if he is handing the ball off to the running back...then fakes out the defense and throws it. You can see the Seahawks players look around as if to say "wth just happened"? This amount of blatant cheating is unparalleled and honestly guys, it will probably be allowed in every game they play. Unbelievable.

Here is a video from yesterday's game. In it you see the pats in the huddle. They all suddenly look up (seemingly in the direction of the clock). Brady steps out of the huddle, makes a gesture, and suddenly the play clock has more time on it. I'm not saying it was what happened.... Wait, that's exactly what I am saying. You decide for yourself.

The short answer to your question is that the refs where in the process of determining the result of the last play and when that determination comes after the play clock ticks below 25 seconds the refs will reset the play clock back up to 25 seconds thereby giving the offense team a full 25 seconds to decide and run their play, effectively giving them the same amount of time coming out of an official, game or team timeout.  

The long answer to your question includes the plays in question.  Once a play is whistled dead the 40 second play clock will immediately start for the next play regardless if the game clock stops or if the ball has not been reset.  There is also a 25 second play clock which starts coming out of a team, game, or official timeout and will start once the ref blows his whistle to say the play can start and the game to resume coming out of the timeout. 

In addition when the 40 second play clock has started and is running and the ref(s) have not yet decided on the result of the previous play yet had blown the whistle on the previous play (thereby starting the 40 second play clock as indicated above), they will conference, or the head ref by himself look to see if there was a first down, the refs will sometimes not stop the clock with an ref timeout during this conference or decision thereby letting the game flow and play clock tick, and if they decide before the play clock reaches 25 seconds they will do nothing to the play clock.  

If however their decision occurs after the play clock runs below 25 seconds they will reset the play clock to 25 seconds.  Essentially giving the offense a full 25 seconds as the same should not be hindered as the refs could not make a quick decision when they should have a full 40 seconds if not for the ref intervention.  In another words if the refs do not call an official timeout, are milling around trying to come to a decision whilst the play clock runs, then it runs to says 9 seconds on the play clock then the refs decide they cant say to the offense, "yah the wide receiver was actually out of bounds and its 2nd and 12, you got 9 seconds to run a play, quick run a play."   No, if the refs intervene while the 40 second clocks runs, the offense will at a minimum be afforded 25 seconds to run a play.  

In the two pats games you referenced this is what happened.  With the Pitts game is a 2nd down play in which Gronk caught a ball along the side lines for a first down yardage but he was initially ruled out of bounds, the 40 second clock for the next play naturally started with the whistle.  The refs conferenced on the matter, you see in the video Brady looking down field at the conference, when the play clock hit 18 seconds you hear on the PA the ref announce that the player stepped out of bounds and its 3rd down and 12, and at that point the refs should of reset the play clock to 25 as it was below 25 but did not do so.  You then see Brady in the huddle and then look up at the play clock realized it was not reset, asked and was granted a reset to 25 second by the ref.   And he was signaling to the ref not the sidelines btw.

With the colts game it again involved Gronk and a first down.  The only issue was if his forward progress was enough for a first down.  And again the ref did not call a timeout or ask for a measurement and is seen looking down to see if catch was enough for a first down, the camera cuts to the pats huddle, you hear on the PA system the play went for first down (i.e. the refs determined that Gronk got the first down) and immediately after the announcement, the play clock, which was around 8, goes to 25, so in this case the refs did correctly reset the play clock after their determination.

The refs do not always do this, I remember one game last year in which the did not and the QB did not catch it and had to take a timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty.

This is yet another example of the Patriots doing RIGHT TO YOUR FACE with no repercussions. I cannot even fathom how the NFL allows them to get away with this. Just look at this, from the Super Bowl no less:

TheseSnivelingClingfish.gif

Brady clearly acts as if he is handing the ball off to the running back...then fakes out the defense and throws it. You can see the Seahawks players look around as if to say "wth just happened"? This amount of blatant cheating is unparalleled and honestly guys, it will probably be allowed in every game they play. Unbelievable.

I'm surprised the league hasn't looked into this yet. Like what the hell Goodell get with the program.

That's unpunished.

Wow.

Seriously ... Wow.

No

Evidence

Of

Brady's

involvement.

Straight outta Pash's mouth .

The short answer to your question is that the refs where in the process of determining the result of the last play and when that determination comes after the play clock ticks below 25 seconds the refs will reset the play clock back up to 25 seconds thereby giving the offense team a full 25 seconds to decide and run their play, effectively giving them the same amount of time coming out of an official, game or team timeout.

The long answer to your question includes the plays in question. Once a play is whistled dead the 40 second play clock will immediately start for the next play regardless if the game clock stops or if the ball has not been reset. There is also a 25 second play clock which starts coming out of a team, game, or official timeout and will start once the ref blows his whistle to say the play can start and the game to resume coming out of the timeout.

In addition when the 40 second play clock has started and is running and the ref(s) have not yet decided on the result of the previous play yet had blown the whistle on the previous play (thereby starting the 40 second play clock as indicated above), they will conference, or the head ref by himself look to see if there was a first down, the refs will sometimes not stop the clock with an ref timeout during this conference or decision thereby letting the game flow and play clock tick, and if they decide before the play clock reaches 25 seconds they will do nothing to the play clock.

If however their decision occurs after the play clock runs below 25 seconds they will reset the play clock to 25 seconds. Essentially giving the offense a full 25 seconds as the same should not be hindered as the refs could not make a quick decision when they should have a full 40 seconds if not for the ref intervention. In another words if the refs do not call an official timeout, are milling around trying to come to a decision whilst the play clock runs, then it runs to says 9 seconds on the play clock then the refs decide they cant say to the offense, "yah the wide receiver was actually out of bounds and its 2nd and 12, you got 9 seconds to run a play, quick run a play." No, if the refs intervene while the 40 second clocks runs, the offense will at a minimum be afforded 25 seconds to run a play.

In the two pats games you referenced this is what happened. With the Pitts game is a 2nd down play in which Gronk caught a ball along the side lines for a first down yardage but he was initially ruled out of bounds, the 40 second clock for the next play naturally started with the whistle. The refs conferenced on the matter, you see in the video Brady looking down field at the conference, when the play clock hit 18 seconds you hear on the PA the ref announce that the player stepped out of bounds and its 3rd down and 12, and at that point the refs should of reset the play clock to 25 as it was below 25 but did not do so. You then see Brady in the huddle and then look up at the play clock realized it was not reset, asked and was granted a reset to 25 second by the ref. And he was signaling to the ref not the sidelines btw.

With the colts game it again involved Gronk and a first down. The only issue was if his forward progress was enough for a first down. And again the ref did not call a timeout or ask for a measurement and is seen looking down to see if catch was enough for a first down, the camera cuts to the pats huddle, you hear on the PA system the play went for first down (i.e. the refs determined that Gronk got the first down) and immediately after the announcement, the play clock, which was around 8, goes to 25, so in this case the refs did correctly reset the play clock after their determination.

The refs do not always do this, I remember one game last year in which the did not and the QB did not catch it and had to take a timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty.

Too long. Didn't read. Don't care what you have to say. I'm sure it's a bunch of drizzle about how your team does no wrong blah, blah, blah.

Too long. Didn't read. Don't care what you have to say. I'm sure it's a bunch of drizzle about how your team does no wrong blah, blah, blah.

If you don't read it, don't comment on it assuming you know. That's called being ignorant.

I'll sum it up for you though:

You're wrong.

About everything.